The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas on May 25, 1954 · Page 3
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
May 25, 1954

The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas · Page 3

Publication:
Location:
Blytheville, Arkansas
Issue Date:
Tuesday, May 25, 1954
Page:
Page 3
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 3 article text (OCR)

TUESDAY, MAY 25, 1954 BLVTHEVILLE (ARK.) COURIER NEWS MANILA PAGE THRE1 . . . Manila Playground By EDNA BROWN (Courier News Correspondent) March 8, 1952, will long be remembered in Manila. It was then the city celebrated its 50th anni- _ versary. Actually, May 1, 1898, is: . . . Manila's Main Street . . . January 3, 1888. Died Jan. 5, 1923.. quake. Big Lake itself contains Erected by the people of Mississippi 112,500 acres of some of the best County in grateful memory of this hero." * * « A 1TOUNG army officer named the date Manila residents are proud | Maj. Douglas MacArthur took part fishing and hunting in Arkansas. Many rare species of bird life can be seen on the Big Lake Wild Life Refuge that has been under government supervision since 1915. The of, for it was on this date that Com- j in the monument dedication ser-1 game wardens are Joe Morton and modore George Dewey sailed into ices, and later became world famous Manila Bay and destroyed the as the general who said "I shall Spanish fleet he found there. j return." When Gen. MacArthur re- The city of Manila was named; gained the city 'of Manila in the in commemoration of Dewey's vie- j Philippines, a grateful and appre- tory. The town was incorporated ciative Lions Club from Manila 1902 and laid out in a square mile. The streets were named Baltimore Avenue, North Dewey, South Dewey and Concord, along with several others, in honor of Commodore Dewey's battleships. As far back as 1880, the settlement was known as Cinda. so- called in honor of Miss Cinda Bunch, sister of Sam Bunch. Records show that he was the first postmaster of Cinda, taking office July 1. 1898. The post-office was established in the s first store ever built there. It belonged to John Wolcox. In 1898, George M. Matthews, member of the Matthews, Whittaker Real Estate Co. of St. Louis, came to Big Lake Island to survey 225,000 acres of land that the firm owned in Mississippi County and surrounding areas. He took an active part in the politics of Cinda. He was secretary of the first school board there, serving in that capacity for 36 years and was postmaster of Cinda for a few months and of Manila for eight years. He died at Manila at the age' of 83. His daughter, Mrs. Bill La whom, still has the surveyor's field compass used by her father in 1878. The instrument belonged to his father, and was made by hand in 1845. John W. Ellis. MANILA MASONIC Lodge No. 588 \vas chartered in 1905. The chartered master was Dr. Joe Griffith and Secretary was O. D. Sanboru, Some of the other charter members were John U. Needham, C. G. Gardner, Dr. J. C. Minetree, C. C. Harley, and H. Simon. The new building was erected in 1946. Present membership is 179. Norman Rauls is Worshipful master and J. F. Harris is secretary. The Eastern Star Chapter is active in Manila, too. Mrs. E. L. Bennett is worthy Matron. Mrs. Kathryn Green of Manila is the associate grand matron of the state of Arkansas. The lower floor of the Masonic building is rented to the Howard Funeral Home, which is managed by Ernest Webb and has been in business since 1917. The Lions Club at Manila is the hub around which it all turns. It is the most active civic organization there. The Club meets each Wednesday . . . Swimming Pool . . . McKinnon Company, a building j etice from Okla. In 1920, he ser- maierials business, lor a period of j ved Manila for six years. He is now some seven or eight years. 78 years old. During his ministry. Tills past year Mr. Osborne and | he built eight churches and three Mr. McKinnon became engaged in' parsonages. He has married around a rice farming operation around j 3000 couples and buried many more. Gibson Switch and A. E. McCulleyj Known'for his many kindnesses, he I. L. DAUGHERTY was Manila's first mayor and Will Hughes was the first town marshal. The town's first ordinances were printed in 1910, when H. W. Cowan was mayor. Dan Smith, who was a large land holder, gave an acre of land to build a depot on. The building stUl stands on the same site. The railroad, known as the JLC&E, operated four trains daily in Manila until 1936 when it was sold to Frisco Railroad. Passenger and mail service was discontinued in 1948. In 1868, John tL Needham moved there. He was employed by a company in Missouri to establish a grazing place for cattle. He established a permanent camp on the highest and driest spot in this swampy area. That happened to be a tiny cemetery, with only one marker, reading "Sarah Elizabeth" daughter of A. F. and Aura Jones, who had died April 28, 1856. It is thought by some old settlers that Aura Jones was an Indian girl. Records show that Mr. Needham's son was the first white child to be born in this area. It is said this tiny cemetery was the only visible ground between the Tennessee hills and Browley's Ridge near Paragould, in the flood of 1882. MANILA is the birthplace of Herman Davis, who was recognized as Arkansas greatest hero in World War 1 and was personally decorated with the Distinguished Service Cross by General Pershing, who called Davis America's fourth greatest hero of that war. Herman Davis was also awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, Freeh Croix de Guerre and the French Militaire. These medals are now kept in the nation's capital. On the south end of Main street in Manila is a beau- .. A . . . . . . . Mayor Alvm Tipton sent a gift and city car tag No. 5 , n , oon Jf 1 " ie , club roo ,5 adjacent to the school cafeteria. The new presi- tiful park and in the center of it is a life-size monument of Herman Davis. The following is a part of the inscription: "Herman Davis, private Co. 1 - 113th. Infantry. (Sharpshooter and company runner) Enlisted March 14, 1918. Honorably discharged May 29, 1919. Cited for bravery, for extraordinary heroism in action. "A most courageous runner who single-handed attacked a machine gun nest which was preventing the advance of his platoon, and killed the four gunners. "The smallest but the bravest and best .liked man in my company. to him. The general used this tag on his jeep. The Lions Club selected this particular tag because he was a five-star general. Another of Manila's best-remembered citizens is one who gained recognition by getting a .patent for embossed license plates to be used on passengar cars, E. L. Caraway, brother of the late Senator Caraway. His son, Lewey Caraway is now custodian of the Senate building in Washington. .Another son of Manila Shelby, who has been special police officer for many years at affairs of state at the capital. One of the most well-known sons of Manila today is E. C. Fleeman, who has served five regular and one special term in the state legislature. He is president of the bank, businessmen and farmer. • • • MANILA IS located about 25 miles west of the Mississippi River, a short distance from Blytheville. Two paved highways—18 and 77—and the Frisco Railroad serve Manila. It is the third largest city in the county, with around 1,850 population. Besides the many new homes that have been recently built, additional facilities have been expanded which include a new $160,000 educational buildings for both the Methodist and Baptist churches, and 20 new business buildings. The land embraced by the trade area served by Manila is a rich alluvial soil, well adapted to all kinds of crops, such as corn, small grain, soybeans, vegetables, fruits, pasture lands and cotton, \vhich is the primary crop. Four modern gins operate in Manila, ginning approximately 20,000 bales a year. One gin has recently been constructed at a cost of $200,000. Two airfields offer services of all kinds. One privately owned and operated and the other is owned by the city, with two hangers having been built in the last few years, at a cost of approximately $12,500 each. Around 15 aircraft can be handled in these hangers. dent, elected last month, was Joe G. Hornberger. succeding W. G. Fox. The Lions Club sponsor all the drives in Manila, and act as a chamber of commerce. • • * Last year, the club built an office for the health nurse, Miss Geor- was taken m as a partner with Mr. McKinnon in place of Mr. Osborne, who was managing their farming operation. The lastest venture that Mr. McKinnon has become engaged in is the distribution of alumium portable irrigation equipment. B. J. Hutton is employed in the capacity as manager of this business with L. V. Coughlin acting as sales manger and J. B. Brown as sales engineer. THERE ARE 84 retail trade establishments in Manila. Two unique ones are the Turtle Farm and Worm Ranch. G. R. Bishop has been in the turtle business for nine years. buying small ones from children and shipping them to novelty places. The poor grades are used for labatory work. He dug a pond in a swag and stocked it with hundreds of turtles. The best one he keeps for breeding purposes. Last year, he bought 29,000 baby turtles When he feeds them in the pond they will come out and eat out of his hand. They are especially fond of watermellon. The worm ranch belongs to J. C. Chapin, a retired school teacher. has often walked as far as 10 miles to visit a sick person. Mrs. Sweet is the daughter of B. W. Cowan, one of Manila's first settlers. Both of them were teachers. Mr. and Mrs. Sweet were married in 1911 and have one son, Frank Sweet. THERE ARE five churches in Manila — Methodist, Baptist,; Church of Christ, Penticostal Holiness and the Church of God of Prophecy. In 1900 about 16 Baptists organized a church in Manila that has a modern church. The auditorium will seat 350. There are 32 additional class and assembly rooms and the Church Library has over 750 volumes, with Mrs. Doyle as librarian they have recently completed the educational departments and have installed a new church organ and chimes. They are enlarging the cooling system. The church has a large playground at the back and outdoor dinners are held there. The pastor is the Rev. Guy Magee. Mrs. George Davis is the church secretary. Howard Phillips is Sunday School superintendent, Mrs. W. W. Edwards. Jr., is president of W. M. U., Clyde Parker is Brotherhood president and W. W. Ed- the most part. They arc in the process of constructing a kiln to use for ccriiniie.s. Miss Home attendee nn art contention at Gatlinburg, Tcnn., March 24-27, and returned enthus- He started this as a hobby and has W ards, Jr., is B. T. U. director. The Rev. N. Lee Gate is pastor of the Methodist church. Sunday School Superintendent is Hugh Miles W. S. C. S., president is Mrs. P. E. Benson, B. B. Threlkeld is president of the chartered Methodist men's class. Mrs. Rose Downing is Church secretary, and V. B. Osborne is president of the official board. The church also nas & large new educational building. They are in the process of installing air conditioning and heating unit. The Methodist Church at Manila was organized in 1887. B. W. Cowan donated the land where the church now stands. Since 1904 there have been 28 different pastors for this church. • • THE 100 members of the Church of Christ are presently without a — Milligan, with six teachers and Raymond Powers as principal: Blackwater, with four teachers and James Rogers as principal; Shady Grove, with two teachers; and Brown School with two teachers. Principal is Mrs. Geneva Pleemiin. Leo Cumminps is the principal of Manila school and Roy L. Ashabranner is the superintendent. Mr. A 'labranner was born in Ma- j the Arkansas Education Associa- nila. His family were among the i lion convention at Hot Springs in first settlers there and he went J November. through high school at Manila. He I • *. • THE MANILA conch is Wayne Taylor Assistant coach is L. E. Mobley. Jr. The modern gymnasium is in Tipton Hall in comblnu- Uon with the auditorium. Manila girls' junior basketball team won the county championship this year. The junior boys won mi invitational tournament at Chilcler. Ark,, and the Seimtb boys won an invitational tournament held at Manila last winter, ^he boys had 19 wins and 10 losses, while the girls won 12 and lost 10. The school's baseball team hasn't been beaten in three years. The athletic program includes basketball, baseball and softball. The physical education program consists of soccer, volleyball, bad- mi- ton. ping-pong, horse shoes and numerous other games. They have Intra-murul games that include the above lists of activities. . . . Manila High School . . . woodwork, usinp nppic boxes for | ,lector's, reproductions pf famous pniutings, records and books. The library has a main rending room with a seating capacity of (50 and a film projection room. This projection room is not only used by the school, but nlso by eel over the progress that is beins civic clubs and even business men mnde in this field. She has been who havc nlms to show employes arked to give a demonstration at • onc [ customers Seventy girls are enrolled in Airs. Lucille Commings' homemak- iisg courses. Designed primarily by the students themselves, these . . . G. R. Bishop and Turtles . . » MANILA SCHOOL is served by Snider Memorial Library, a branch \ of the County Library "at Osceola colirs es are aimed at promoting . Herman Davis Memorial which also serves the four wing- schools and the community. Mrs. Francis Faulkner, the librarian, also teaches a speech class and supervises two study halls. The library is, open 11 months of the year. The county helps supply books planning in solving personal, family and community problems. Each course is subdivided into units on personal grooming, child care, meal preparation, food preservation, leisure crafts, home planning and garment construction. Each freshman and sopho- . Ratton's Hospital . . . minister The present church was d in schoo , built m about 1921 and will be used administration lrom Peabody Col- On "HIS CAPTAIN" the reverse side are these MANTLA is proud of its park, which has a large modern swimming pool. They have recently erected a new cyclone fence. There is a large playground. And a ball park that any city would be proud to own. It is said to be the best lighted park between St. Louis and Memphis. Manila also is proud of its two hospitals, each having two doctors in attendance, with two others to call. Both hospitals are operated by their owners. One has ten beds, the other 15. More than 80 out patients are served daily. Both are modern, well-equipped hospitals, valued at around $250,000 with a staff of 15 nurses, and equipment such as x-ray, oxygen tents and incubator. The hospitals are equipped to do surgery. Big Lake Island was formed in words: "Herman Davis was born 1812 by the New Madrid earth- gie Lee Poe. Bill Borowsky has been the club's secretary for more than 20 years. He and C. W. Tipton are the only charter members left. The club, which celebrated its 25th anniversary in Feburary. is now actively engaged in trying to locate or interest industry there. The Thomas Manufacturing Co. Makers of farm trailers, cotton choppers, grain bins and other products are planning to move to Manila. The only other industry there now other than gins is the stave mill owned by N. W. Wagner. This employs 35 or 40 at mill and about same number in the woods. Alvin (Pinky) TiptOn manager of the Tipton Theater, is the mayor of Manila. He has been on the town board since 1946. The mayor is proud of the work the city is doing at the playground, which he says will be supervisee this summer. An experiment the city is trying is rental of 25 acres of strawberries to Harry Wright who is working them for the city. They are using a sprinkler on those plants to see if it is profitable to r rigate berries. TWENTY-FIVE years ago, R. J. (Bob) McKinnin came to Manila in the employ of the Ellis Jones Drug Company of Memphis to operate the Peoples Drug Store. After he had operated this store some four to six months, he purchased it. From his original operation as a drug store operator, he expanded into his present operation known as the McKinnon's Furniture, Appliances, and Hardward business. About 1946 he formed a partnership with V. B. Osborne and they opened and operated the Osborn- been interested in them for some time. In 1946, deciding to start his ranch. He has constructed many worm beds in his back yard and now has several varieties that are rare to this country. He sells worms to people in 24 states The largest sale for one day was 125,000 to another worm man raiser. He says worms are the best soil builders we have. In 1953, he sold over 2,000,000 worms. as an educational building when construction of a new auditorium is begun during the next year. L. T. Broom is treasurer and clerk of the church and Alvin Tipton, F. E. Howell and Odie Durham are elders. The Penticostal Holiness Church building was erected in 1918 although the first congregation was school system spends $1,200 a lege Nashville Tenn. - vear on '""^riiils. *°'"c of which Mrs. Elizabeth Miles has been includ e ™m strip and movie pro- anci reference materials and the j more student selects as a home project three or four phases of homemnking in which to make a special study. school secretary for 14 years. Miss — Imojean Evans is assistant secretary. Herbert Atkins is elementary supervisor. • • • THIS SCHOOL has 17 high school teachers and 15 elementary. There are 1,215 enrolled in the system organized in 1912. Remodeling of j with 8 17 in Manila. Tipton Hall, the church, including a new brick comp i e ted in 1950, named for C. W. front, has been completed recent- Tipton, who served on school board w; ••"o-.v.c }L;-tsU ,18 s^-^r-V-•";..."•' "trr*.-. The church has 37 members. The Rev. S. T. French is pastor, Gilbert Ellis is Sunday School superintendent and Mrs. Maude Beauchamp is secretary and treasurer. Barto Jackson, Ervin Jackson and Mr. Ellis are deacons. The Church of God Prophecy is erecting a new "32 by 50-foot auditorium on three lots and planks to add an educational building later". Rev. Paul Lawrence is past- THE FLOWER and gift shop owned and operated by Mrs. Maude Ballard, a native of Manila, represents her life's ambition — to have a shop of this kind. She attended schools in Texas and Missouri studying floral designs and arrangements. I There are several poultry businesses in Manila, involving both broilers and laying flocks. Clifford King, manager of Kings feed and seed store, has the largest "broiler factory." He raises about 25,000 a year. Joe Hornberger has been postmaster of Manila for the past 3 years. He, too is a native. The Post Office has three clerks and two rural routes of 125 miles and one route to Etowah Joe Hornberger is secretary of the state chapter of National Association of Postmasters. American Legion Post 197 has 173 members with Johnnie Cullins as commander. The Legion is in charge of Herman Davis Park and sponsors a boy to boy's state, among several other activities, ... J. C. Chapin and Worim ,». ***£!MKiffiRV ... Roy Ashabranntr ... ... Misi Prancys Faulkntr. *. I»<U«. 14, tl> The post meets each Tuesday- night and has a supper among once a month for the wives of members. Mr*. George Farmer is president of the Legion Auxiliary. • * • BOY SCOUT Troop 33 ha« about 50 members with two Eagle scout*. The first Boy Scout Troop organized Arkansas wa* established in 1911 in Manila. The Scoutmaster was R. J. Hubbard. The present Scoutmaster is J. L. Freeman a- •sistant Scoutmaster is Jack Ed- warls. William O. Fox, cashier of the bank is vice chairman of the North Mississippi county district of Eastern Arkansas Area, Council of Boy Scouts ,William Borowsky is institutional representative of the North Mississippi County District. Among Manila's best-loved residents is the Rev. F. M. Sweet and his beloved wife Mrs. Bes*i« Co^ ) wnn Sweet. The Rev. Sweet is a retired Methodist minister since iWfi. Mist Elitabtth Mi lit.. * coming to North Arttania* Confer- or, Roy Springer Is chairman of the Board of Deacons, W. W. McKenzie i£ Sunday School Superintendent and Mrs. Bell Robinson is president of the Missionary Society. Some of the congregation's 32 members reside in Blytheville. * • • THE WEEKLY paper here is called The Manila Sentinel. The news editor Is, Mrs. Martha M. Lawhorn and John H. Barker is the managing editor. He is also editor of the Leachville Star. Both are owned and published by Sam Hodges of Osceoia. Manila's school system has come a long way from its first school — with only a handful of student, sitting on split logs and no desks. The system now has a million dollar plant with modern class rooms and 14 teachers homes. The campus covers 40 acres. There are no Negro children in the Manila school district. The Ma- 35 years. Mrs, Guy Rubenstein is president 01 parent-teachers association .Mrs. Etta Bird is supervisor of the school lunch room. Mrs. Bernice Bullard is the commercial teacher and has about 100 students enrolled in her classes. Bud Wortham is the maintenance man, and the one the whole school looks to to keep it running smoothly. He does all the repairs and makes desks and many articles of furniture for both home and school in his completely-equipped shop. » * * THE AGRICULTURE class uses this shop, too, when it is needed in addition to a smaller one in the building. The agriculture teacher is L. K. Holt, who has been teaching in Manila schools for 22 years. There are 68 enrolled in the vocational department this year, and they are now in the process of reworking and enlarging their shop.< This group runs a farm on the campus. Some of the projects include strawberries, broiler type chickens, and registered Hampshire hogs. Out of three litters of pigs', they made 507 dollars. Their new project is 100 baby pheasants, FFA president this year is James Harris, a junior. Their chapter sweetheart is Dorothy Roach, a freshman. The school also operates nine buses with a full-time mechanic and helper, and a fully-equipped garage. • • • MANILA SCHOOL has one of the finest art departments in the country — in fact not many schools have this department. This is under the direction of Miss Betty Home, who has been there for six years. She says art departments are growing things in the South now, and are one of the most useful. Miss Home is not-teaching her pupils to be fine artists. She is concerned with art education, experimenting with materials, in learning to have the proper respect for materials and how to express feelings with paints. The students do finger painting, poster painting, paper mache work and are learning structure and . . . Masonic Temple . . . Largest Tribe The Navajos of Arizona and New Mexico are the largest of the Indian tribes in the United States to- day. They are more numerous now (50,000 strong) than when the first Spanish conquistadors penetrated the continent. nil* district ha* four wing schools form by using clay. They also do Keeps you flower-fresh for 24 hoursl So thoroughly effective in keeping underarms dry and checking odors, it protect* your charm and dainti for 24 hours! So creamy soft, gentle to nkin, delicately fragrant... you'll prefer it always! C/w WOODS DRUG STORE

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page