The Algona Republican from Algona, Iowa on February 25, 1891 · Page 2
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Republican from Algona, Iowa · Page 2

Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Wednesday, February 25, 1891
Page 2
Start Free Trial

A - WAHRIOB'S DEATH. t>6ath at New York of General i, William T. Sherman. th* Old Itero Forced to Surrender to th* I Conqueror of All—Scenes at IIU !j Death-Bed—To Be Bnrled '< in St. Louis. t SHERMAN 18 KO MORI!. !' NEW YOUK, Feb. 10.—General Sher- toan died at 1:50 p. m., Saturday after a "bravo struggle for life. The improvement in his condition Friday, which .filled his many friends with • hope that he would win the battle, gave way to fllarming symptoms which caused the at- .tending physicians to announce that the end was rapidly approaching 1 . The members of his family were hastily Summoned to his bedside and remained With him to the end. '.' The General was xmconscious for florae time before death. lie did not 'Buffer any pain. His respirations grew Weaker and ceased entirely at 1:50. The •end came so easily that for a moment it rwas not possible to realize that he was dead. The watchers beside the bedside of the dying hero refused to give up every thread of hope until the last moment. The famous patient had rallied so many times since he waa taken ill that .his friends believed he would again keep death at bay. Even when his head sank perceptibly to the right side and there was no respiration for fully a minute, at 12:35, the physician, Dr. Alexander, turned to Senator John Sherman and said: "He is not dead; he will breathe again/' And the relatives and friends about the couch drew a breath of relief. The doctor's the country messages of condolence began to arrive. The nossages were received by Private Secretary Barrett and Senator Sherman. Senator Sherman said that nearly 8,000 dispatches had been received. There was one from President Harrison and one from each of the United States Senators, from members of the Cabinet, from General Schofield and from other army, officers. Other dispatches received were from Chief-.Justice Fuller, Henry M. Stanley, Archbishop Kenrick, of St. Louis, Judge Gresham, General Joseph E. Johnston, Viee-Presideut Morton, Justice Harlan, General Alger, James G. Elaine arid ex-President Hayes. In addition to these there were telegrams from the foreign Ministers and heads of various State departments from all over the country and Europe. The outward mark of respect that was shown in New York City upon the announcement of the death of General Sherman was the universal raising of flags at half-'nast on all the public buildings, the newspaper offices and on i many stores and private residences. Dispatches from all parts of the coun- GENEEAL SHERMAN. prophecy was correct, for the great warrior moved uneasily in less than a minute and he made a move, as if to lift his eyelids, but for the first time his strength had deserted him, and after a feeble effort he sank wearily back upon ftlie pillow. Dr. Alexander made two or three at- -temptti to revive him, but did not succeed, and although he did not communicate his belief to the members of the family he expected the end and waited for it to occur every moment. He was unconscious all this time and had been since 0:30 o'clock in the morning, when he looked at his brother, the .Senator, and his children, and addressing the former, said: "There, there, .John, it's pretty hard; comfort the children." These words, so far as known, were his last. At 1 o'clock there was a movement on 'the part of the dying warrior, as he •Jay on his camp-bed in the center of the large apartment where he has been confined since last Sunday, and a noise came from his lips as if he was trying to speak. The physician bent over him. but the noise had stopped. He said it \ras the mucus on the lungs, and when it was heard a few moments later the doctor said, with his head on the grand old soldier's breast: "The end is not far off." For nearly half an hour there was no movement on the part of the dying man. About 1:45, about five minutes before the end, there was just the suggestion of a movement of the General's arm and a moan came from his lips. The sound was like that of a man attempting to speak, but changed to a low gurgling noise. The physician in the room reached over and watched the patient's face closely for a moment. Then he turned to the weeping relatives clustered about the couch and said quietly: "The General is dead.' At the bedside were his son, P. T. Sherman, his daughters, Rachel and Lizzie, Lieutenant and Mrs. Fitch, Lieutenant and Mrs. Thaekara, Senator John Sherman, Dr. Alexander and General Thomas Ewing. The two daughters remained kneeling, one at each Side of the bed, during the last hours of the life of their father. No priest or clergyman was present, neither were any culled. No priest has entered the house since Father Taylor called. The General did not suffer any pain for the last two days. All night long he lay in bed with his head high, but toward morning he worked his head lower, until at last he lay perfectly flat. Death came so quietly that those at the bedside did not realize that the General was dead until Dr. Alexander said: "All is over." Death came with one 'ong sigh. vSuffocation, due to the lungs illing with umcus, war, the cause. Immediately after his death Generals Howard and Slocum, who svere on Gen- jral. Sherman's staff, were sent for. Some two weeks ago the General made try state that Governors and State and local authorities generally have issued proclamations and have taken other official recognition of the death. FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS. Preliminary arrangements for the funeral have' been made. The cortege will form at 1 o'clock on Thursday next at the house on West Seventy-first street, and move promptly at 3 o'clock. The funeral services proper will be held in St. Louis. The funerel procession in this city will be made up as follows: The regular-army escort wille be under the command of Colonel Loomis L. Lang-don, of the First Artillery. It will consist of all the infantry battalions located in the vicinity of New York harbor. The artillery will be made up of the First Artillery United States Army, Dillenbanks' Light Battery and two four-gun batteries of the National Guard. The cavalry will consist of a troop of regulars and Troop A of the , National Guard. The body will be boi-ne on a caisson. An escort of honor from Lafayette Post, Grand Army of the Republic, will surround the caisson and the pall-bearers, who will be in carriages. Following them will coine the family and relatives in carriages. Then the President and Vice- President of the United States, ex-President Hayes, ex-President Cleveland, delegations from the United States Senate and House of Representatives, the Governor of the State of New York and the mayor of the city. The military part of the procession will follow the carriages in this order: The Loyal Legion, Grand Army posts, corps of cadets, National Guard, S. N. G., delegations from civic societies, citizens. The line of march from Desbrosses street ferry had not been decided upon yet. The department of the Grand Army of the Republic will be under the command of General Floyd Clarkson; the National Guards under General Fitzgerald; the regular escort under Colonel Landon. General Howard, in command of the military, designated General Butterfield as marshal in charge of the column. Veterans of the Seventh Regiment and those from other regiments will be assigned to positions at the Desbrosses street ferry to receive the cortege on its arrival there. At the New Jersey end of the ferry will be stationed posts of veterans from that State. G. A. R. posts at points along the route who desire to pay honor to the remains will be notified in season. The bearers will be: General J. M. Schofield, General O. 0. Howard, Rear- Admiral D. L. Braine, Rear-Admiral L. A. Kimberly, General Thomas L. Casey, General J. C. Felton, Prof. H. L. Kendrick, General Joseph E. Johnston, General H. W. Slocum, General Daniel E. Sickles, General L. L. Dodge, General J. M. Corse, General Wager Swayne, General S. L. Woodford. General Clarkson expects to have 10,000 soldiers in line from New York and Brooklyn and 3,500 from New Jersey. Generals Howard and Slocum were asked by the family to take entire charge of the funeral and to accompany the body to St. Louis. The interment will be in Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis, in the family plot, beside the body of Mrs. Sherman and those of his two sons, William, Jr., who died when he was 0 years old, and Charles, who was born and who died during the march to the sea, and whom the General never saw. The funeral in St. Louis will be strictly military in character. On account of the expressed wish of General Sherman when alive, it was decided not to comply with the request of President Harrison that the body be taken to Washington and there lie in state for day. It will not lie in state anywhere. The casket is oak covered with black cloth and lined with white satin. The handles are plain silver bars, and on the lid is a plate of plain silver on which is inscribed the name, "William Tecnmsuh Sherman," and the date of his birth and death. While being transported from here to St. Louis the casket will be placed in a polished oak box with silver trimmings. The body is now lying embalmed in the room where the General died. It is covered with an American flag. THE PRESIDENT INFORMS CONGRESS. WASHINGTON, Feb. 10.—The news of General Sherman's death reached Wash- A. profound student of military scienM »nj precedent, he drew from them principles and suggestions and ao adapted them to novel conditions that his campaigns will continue to bathe profitable study ot the military proMS- Blon throughout the world. His genial nature •tn&de him comrade to every soldier of tne treat Union army. No presence was .mntal* oome and Inspiring at the camp-flrd o* cotnroandery as his. His career was complete? his honors were (nil. He had received from th« Government the highest rank known itp out military establishment and from the people unstinted gratitude and love. No word of mlno can add to his fame. "His death has followed In startling qnlch- ness that of tho Admiral of tho Nvwy, and It is a sad and notable Incident that when tho department under which he served shall have put on the usual emblems of mourning, four of the eight Executive Departments will be simultaneously draped In black, and one other has but to-day removed the crape from Us walls. "BENJAMIN HARRISON." When the message from the President announcing the death of General Sherman was laid before the Senate Senator Hawlcy (Conn.) rose and offered resolutions reciting tho profound sorrow of the Senate at the announcement, and renewing that body's acknowledgment of the inestimable services which he rendered to his country in the day of its extreme peril, lamenting tho great loss which the country has sustained and deeply sympathizing with his family in its bereavement. The resolutions were adoped unanimously, and the presiding officer was reqxiested to appoint a committee of five Senators to attend the funeral of General Sherman. The names of the committee were not announced. Before the resolutions were adopted, however, eulogistic addresses were made by Senators Morgan (Ala.), Manderson (Neb.), Davis (Minn.) and Evarts (N. Y.). BIOGRAPHY OF A HEHO. William Tecumseh Sherman was born In Lancaster, O., February 8, 1820. He was tho sixth chl'.d, and was adopted by Thomas Ewing, and attended school In Lancaster until 1S30. when he entered the Military Academy at West Point, graduating from that institution in 1840, standing sixth in a class of forty-two members. Ho received his first commission aa a Second-Lieutonant In the Third Artillery July 1, 18-10, and was sent with that cummandto Florida. On November 30, 1841. ho was promoted to a First-Lieutenancy. In 1843. on his return from a short leave, he began the study of law, not to make It a profession, but to render himself a more intelligent soldier. In 1848, when ihe Mexican war broke out, he was sent with troops to California, where he acted as Adjutant-General to Goaeral Stephen W. Kearney. On his return, in 18f>0, ho was married to Kllen Boyle Ewing at Washington, her father, his old friend, then being Secretary of the Interior. Ho was appointed a Captain in the commissary department September 21, 1850, but resigned In 1853 and was appointed manager of a bank in San Francisco, but subsequently took up his residence in New York as agent for a St. Louis firm. In 1858-59 he practiced law in Leavenworth, Kan., and the following year became superintendent of the Louisiana State Military Academy. It was while he was act- In" in this connection that Louisiana seceded from the Union, and General Sherman promptly resigned his office. On May 13, 1361, he was commissioned Colonel of the Thirteenth Infantry, with instructions to report to General Scott at W ash- ington. Sherman was put in command of a brigade in Tyler's Division. On August 3, 1801, he was made a Brigadier-General of volunteers, and was sent to be second In command to General Anderson, in Kentucky. On account of broken health, General Anderson was relieved from the command, and General Sherman succeeded him on October 17. Just after the capture of F orts Henry and Donolson, in 1863. General Sherman was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee. In the great battle of Shiloh, Sherman's division served as a sort of pivot. He was wounded in the hand during the flprht, but refused to leave tho field. General Halleck declared that "Sherman saved the fortunes of the day on the 6th, and contributed largely to the glorious victory of the 7th." General Sherman was always conspicuous for judgment and dash. He was made a Major-General next, and on July 15 he was ordered to Memphis. On account of brilliant services in the Vicksburg campaign he was appointed a Brigadier-General. On October 14, 1863, General Sherman was ordered to take his corps to the relief of General Rosecrans, who had been forced back Into Chatta nooga after the battle of Chickamauga. On the morning of tho a^tli Sherman pursued the enemy by the roads north of Chickamauga and everywhere destroyed the rebel communications. During these operations General Burnside was besieged at Knoxville. Sherman made forced marches to his relief, and, after supplying him, marched back to Chattanooga. After General Grant had been made Lieutenant-General ho assigned General Sherman 0 the command of the military division of he Mississippi. On February 1», 1864, General Sherman received the thanks of Con- ;ress for his sol-vices in the Chattanooga cam- mign. On April 10 he received his orders to move against Atlanta. His forces then consisted of 99,000 men. with 254 guns, while the Confederate army, under Johnston, was composed of 62,000 men. Sherman repented- y attacked the enemy, who gradually fell back. On July 17 Sherman began the direct attack on Atlanta. In a number of severe sorties the Union forces were victorious, and on September 1 the enemy evacuated the place. Sherman immediately moved forward to the works that covered Savannah, and soon captured that qity. His army hart marched 300 miles in twenty-four days through the heart of Georgia and had achieved a splendid victory. Sherman was made a Major- General and received the thanks of Congress for his triumphal muroh. Sherman left Savannah in February, and soon flanked Charleston, compelled its evacuation, and entered Columbus on the 17th. He thenco moved on Goldsboro, opening a communication by the Cape Fear river with Schofteld. Johnston, at Greensboro, received news of Lee's surrender, and sent word to Sherman asking on what terms he would receive his surrender. Sherman made a basis of agreement which was repudiated by the Government as being too 1 lenient. The General determined not to revisit Washington, but finally did so ut tho-special request of tlie President. General Sherman took leave of his army on May 30. From June 27, 1864, to March 3, 1869, ho was in command of ihe military division of the Mississippi. Upon the appointment of Grunt as General of tho urmy Sherman was promoted to be Lieutenant-General, and when Grant became President of the United States, March 4, 180», Sherman succeeded him as General, with headquarters lit Washington. At his own request, and in order to make Sheridan General-in-Chief he BEARING A HERO HOME. to the President from Senator Sherman, which contained the simple words: "General Sherman passed away at 1:50 p. m." The President sent the following mes- i sage to Congress: known his wishes as to his burial. He j ngton j n tne f orm o f a private dispateh particularly requested that his body should not lie in state anywhere, lie also requested that the funeral be a strictly military one. He said that he jlid not care particularly for any military observances here in New York, but that he did want a military burial in Bt. Louis, which would be participated in by his old comrades in arms. He also requested that the funeral rites be not in conformity with any particular form of religion. He wanted a soldier's burial. The body is now lying embalmed in the room where the General died—the back room on the second loor. The features are natural, with he exception of a slight swelling on he right jaw and under both eyes. The eyes are closed and the arms fold- id across the breast. Less than half an hour after tlie news of the Ueuerai'e death was Hash/fed over was placed on the retired list, with full pay and emoluments, on February 8, 1884. For awhile To THE SENATE AND HOUSE OF KEPHESKNTATIVKS: The death of William Tecumseh Sherman, which took place to-day at his residence iu the city of New York ut 1:50 o'clock p. m., is aii event that will bring sorrow to the heart of every patriotic cltix.en. No living American was so loved and venerated as he. To look upon his face, to hear his- name, was to have one's love of country iutenaitied. He served his country, not for fame, not out of a sense of professional duty, but for love of tho flag and of the benettoant civil institutions of which it was the emblem. He wus aii ideal soldier and shared to tho fullest the esprit do corps of tho urmy, but he cherished the civil institutions organized under tho constitution and was only a soldier that theso might be perpetuated in um'.Uniuished usefulness honor. He wa* iu nothing KQ imitator. after that the General resided in St. Louis, but some years tgo moved to New York, where he became a great favorite. There was hardly a night that he did not attend some dinner, entertainment or theater party, and he became well known as an eloquent after-dinner speaker. Tho General lived very quietly with nib fanv ily at his house in Seventy-first street, near Central Park. General Sherman leaves six children—Rev. Thomas Ewiug Sfierman, Philomel Tocumseh Sherman, of the law firm of Evarts. Choate & Beiunau, Mrs. A. M. Thacliera, of Bosemont, Pa., Mrs. T. W. Fitch, of Pittsburgh, Misses Kuehael and Ellen Sherman. Mrs. Sherman diod two years tifio. Millions Disposed Of. PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 16.—The will of Jacob N. McCullough, late first vice president of the Pennsylvania Company who died a week ago, bequeaths the ' bulk of hit $10,000,000 estate to his grandchildren. General Sherman'8 Remains En Itouto from New York to St. louls—An Imposing Funeral Cortege — Simple Service* Conducted at tho Residence by the Dead Warrior's Son. NEW YORK, Feb. 30.—New Yo*k paid every possible tribute of respect to the memory of General Sherman, whdse last years have been spent as one of its citizens. The dawn o* his funeral day opened bright and clear. Its light fell on thousands of the National flags floated at half mast from pxiblic and private buildings alike. The courts remained closed; no public business that was not compelled by law was transacted. The exchanges closed at noon, general business was brought almost to a standstill, and all who could do so ceased their daily occupations to do honor to the dead soldier. Rev. Thomas Ewing Sherman, the son whose arrival has been so anxiously awaited, arrived at the house at 1:80 a. m. He was welcomed home, not by his beloved father, but by his brother P. T. Sherman, and his sisters, Mrs. Thaekara and Miss Rachel Sherman. Touching the subject of General Sherman's religious belief, his son said in a positive way, that may well remove all doubt on the matter: "My father was bapti/.ed in the Catholic church, was married in tho Catholic church and attended the Catholic church until the outbreak of the civil war. Since that time my father had not been a communicant; but he always told me: 'If there is any true religion, it is the Catholic religion.'" Short services were held a,t noon. The prayers were read by Kev. Father Sherman. Close to the casket stood the other son, P. T. Sherman. In the front parlor were all the other members of the fiwnily and Secretary Elaine and wife and Mrs. Damrosch. Father Sherman was assisted by Rev. Father Taylor and two other priests. At about 12:25 o'clock the caisson, draped in black and drawn by four horses, was drawn up in front of the Sherman residence. The horses were mounted by regulars and an army officer was in charge. Behind the caisson was an orderly leading the black charger which bore the military trappings of the General. A black velvet covering a]most hid the horse from view, but the boots and saddle were plainly conspicuous. The hour at which the head of the funeral procession was to move from Seventy-first street was 3 o'clock, but long before that time spectators began to take up their places along the route of march. The decorations along this route were not so numerous or elaborate as when General Grant was buried, but, nevertheless, they were strikingly handsome and in great profusion. The order of the column was as M.lows: Mounted and Foot Police. General O. O. Howard and Staff. Escortof Honor, Under Command of Col.L.oomls L. Langdon, Composed of a Battalion of United States Marines, Four Companies of United States Engineers, Six Companies (Foot Batteries) of Artillery, a Battalion of Light Artillery from the Regular Army and National .Guard, Two Troops of Cavalry from the National Guard. These surrounded the pall-bearers, the body, which rested on a caisson, and the carriages of the relatives. The Pall-Bearers in Carriages. A Led Horse Bearing the Saddle, Bridle, Sword and Side-Arms of General Sherman. A Special Escort from Lafayette Post, Grand Army of the Republic, on the Right and Left of thOiCaisson. Family and Relatives in Carriages, Escorted by Lieutenant Kiliaen Van Renssalaer. President and Vice President of the United St*es. Members of the Cabinet. Joseph H. Choato, accompanying ex-President R. B. Hayes. Chaunccy M. Depow, accompanying ex-President Grover Cleveland. Committees of the Senate and House of Representatives. Lieutenant-Governor Jones and Mayor Grant. Military order of the 1/oyd Legion of the United States and officers oMhe Army and Navy. Tho Grand Army of the Republic. The Corps of Cadets of the United States Mill tary Academy. National guard, under command of Brigadier- General Louis Fitzgerald. The brigade consisted ut th« following organizations: 69th Regiment, Colonel .fames Cavanagh, with the old battle flag carried with General Sherman at Bull Run; 9th Regiment, Colonel William Seward:.a3d Regiment, Colonel J.T. Camp; 71st n^gimont, Col. Fred. Kipper; 7th Reg., Uiuiiol Appleton; lath Reg., Col. Homan X)owd. t The First Battery, Captain Wendell: Second Battery, Captain Wilson,- and Troop "A," Captain Roe, with troops »' the regular array forming Ihe funeral cortege. Tho Signal Corps, commanded by Captain Gttl- iup wus mounted and followed the Twelfth Regiment. Delegations and representatives of veterans, Sons of Vcterunti, and other organizations assigned, under charge of General David Morris. The line of march was from Seventy- first street and Tigh avenue to Fii'ty- seventh street, to Fifth avenue, Waverly place, where its column, excepting the military escort, was dismissed; to Broadway, to Canal street, to the ferry. The G. A. R. kept in ine to Canal street, where they vere dismissed. There were fully 90,000 men in Hue—3,000 regular troops, 5,000 National Guard, and 13,000 Grand Army men, and those forming General Iremain's command. The carriages in which were the f am- ly boarded the ferry-boat which was n waiting and which* took the remains across to Jersey City. The train left Jersey City at 0:30o'clock. Fire at Watseku, 111. WATBEKA, 111., Feb. 20.—Fire broke out in A. V. Uard's hard ware store about 5 o'clock a. m., Thursday and the entire building, with contents, was consumed. The explosion of a keg of powder injured a number of persons who were on the ground and attempted to save the contents of the store. N. D. Graves, Walter Braden, C. C. Gallaher and F. M. Schoolcraft were severely wounded and bruise.d. The adjoining buildings were a total loss and very little, property could be saved. The entire loss will exceed $35,000, of which perhaps SI 5,000 is covered bvipsuraace- THE DEAD SAILOR. An fni|io»ln<f Coftoffe followi tlio He. mains of the lute Admiral Porter to Their Tomb In Arlington Cemetery, Washington. WASttiNGTON, Feb. 18.—The funeral af the late Admiral Porter occurred from his residence on Tuesday and was attended by the President, members of the Cabinet, naval officers and officials, the former in uniform, and many members of Congress, as well as numerous visitors from other points who came here to attend the obsequies. The naval regulations providing for the funeral of an Admiral were followed as nearly as possible, but there were not enough men on duty to make up the complement stated in the rules, which is 5,000. The cortege formed aa follows: One hundred marines from the barracks here and Annapolis. Five hundred cavalrymen and artillerymen from Washington barracks and Fort Myer. Six hundred members of the local Grand Army posts. Bix hundred infantrymen from tho district National Guard and naval G. A. R, posts from Philadelphia, of which Admiral Porter was a member. All the officers of the navy in this city attended the funeral in full uniform. The. sevices were held at the house because Mrs. Porter was not in condition to go to the church. Rev. Dr. Douglass, of St. John's Church, officiated. As the accommodations at the house were limited the invitations to the services were necessarily confined to the personal friends of the family and the officials of the Government. The body was borne by eight sailors from the receiving ship Dale, now at the navy-yard. The honorary pall-bearers were: Vice-President Morton, Senator Mandorson of Nebraska, Senator McPhorson of Now Jersey, Senator Hawlcy of Connecticut, Governor Pattlson of Pennsylvania, Major-General Scho- fleld United States army.Rear-Admiral Rodgers United States navy, Rear-Admiral Howell, Rear-Admiral Crosby, Rear-Admiral Stevens, Rear-Admiral Almy, Rear-Admiral Worden, Rear-Admiral Jouett, Rear-Admiral Queen, General Joseph E. Johnston late Confederate States army, Representative Boutelle of Maine. The funeral services were those of the Episcopal church. The remains. of the late •Admiral were dressed in full uniform with G. A. R. badges on the breast and also the .decoration of the Sons of American Revolution and the badge of Porter post of Massachusetts. They rested in a casket of royal purple velvet with silver handles and ornaments. Upon a silver tablet on the lid was the following inscription: A CHOICE AT LAST. Senator DAVID D. PORTER, Admiral United States Navy, Born Juno 18, 1813, Died February 53, 1891. It was the Admiral's wish often expressed during his life that after death his body should not lie in state. The body, therefore, was not exposed to general public view. It was also his wish that he might be buried from his home, which was done. The interment was in Arlington Cemetery. SUNK IN THE OHIO. A Steamer Collides with a Bridge at Cincinnati— Two of Her Passengers Lose Their Lives. CINCINNATI, O.,Feb. 18.— The steamer Sherlock on Tuesday struck a Kentucky pier of the Chesapeake & Ohio bridge while going down the river on a trip to New Orleans. She had on board thirty passengers and a crew of fifty or sixty. The boat went to pieces and floated down to Fifth street, where she sunk. She had on board 400 tons of freight. The cabin floated down the river, and at Riverside some of the crew got ashore in a skiff. Some were rescued at Fifth street. It is not known how many are lost. A harbor steamer went down the river in search of the missing people. The floating cabin was caught at Riverside, several miles below the city. As many as were left were hastily taken aboard and returned to the city. Mrs. McLean, of Pittsburgh, was instantly kilied by falling freight at the time of the collision. Her little granddaughter was drowned, and it is now certainly known that they were the only persons lost of the twenty-one registered passengers. It is not known whether all of the nine unregistered passengers were saved. It is believed that every one of the officers and crew were rescued. In regard to the cabin and deck clerks there is much uncertainty. Persons are reported having escaped to the shore for quite a distance along the river. The rescued are so scattered about on both sides of the river that it is impossible to make a list of the living and the missing. One or two of the passengers were thrown into the river by the shock when the steamer struck the bridge, but two young men who ventured out in skiffs from the Kentucky shore rescued them. There were fourteen women among the passengers and some of them are in a badly prostrated condition. The Sherlock is a total loss. It was used in the Cincinnati and New Orleans trade, was valued at $35,000, and belonged to the Cincinnati & Big Sandy Packet Company. The blame for the accident has not been fixed, but it is said that the pilot was drunk, and some of the crew declare that he was unfit to handle the boat. Suit Came Down with the Snow, SALT LAKE CITY, U. T., Feb. 18.— It snowed here Monday night and a peculiar feature of the storm was a large quantity of salt which fell with it. The snow melted Tuesday and left the sal on the ground at least one-fourth of an inch in thickness. The salt was evi dently absorbed from the lake. Robbed the Farmers. BUOYKUS, O., Feb. 18.— A committe is at work examining the accounts o the county auditor and county treas urer. Thus far $15,000 in overcharges in the matter of fees has been discovered, and the committee is not through with its work- The town is full of excited farmers besieging the court-house and demanding ref unders. Kyle J31eet««t United States Senator In South Dakota by the Uemocratlo-Alll- twice Combination. Fauna, S. D., Feb. 17.-Rev. J.-tt Kvle the Independent candidate, was elected to the United States Senate to-day to succeed Moody. lie re- ceivd 76 votes, against 65 cast for Sterling, the Republican candidate. As announced Saturday night Kyle's election was determined on between the Democrats and Independents. This decision, it is now alleged, was brought about almost entirely through acorn- pact with the Illinois Democrats and threo farmers, which scheme includes the election of John M. Palmer from that State. Speaker Seward, who went to Illinois to close the bargain, sent information here which gave tho Democrats confidence to cast their ballots for Kyle Monday. When tho result of tlie ballot became known the long pent enthusiasm of the Independents broke loose. Hats, papers, books and other loose missiles went sailing through the air, and for a moment joy was unconfined. Finally order was restored and Speaker Pro-tern. Rowe arose and declared that John H. Kyle had been elected United States Senator from South Dakota for a period of six years, beginning March 4 next. Senator-elect Kyle was then called out, of cottrse, and made a short address, thanking the members of the joint assembly for the great honor they had bestowed upon him. In deference to the memorial services just concluded on the death of the great commander, General Sherman, he would not enter into any discussion of the political issues of the day. He would go to the United States Senate not as a representative of any faction or party but as a representative of South Dakota. He opposed any thing in the nature of class legislation, so called, but he would endeavor to champion the interests of the producing class at all times, believing that the life and success of the Nation depend upon their success. A monstrous meeting was held in the opera-house at night to ratify the election of James II. Kyle to the United States Senate. Kyle's speech developed the fact that he will work for low-tariff principles and -other issues advocated by the Democrats, besides numerous reform measttres wanted by the farmers. ISenator-oleot James H. Kylo is a native of Ohio, having been born In Xenla thirty-six years ago. It is claimed by some that he will bo tho youngest member in the Senate. He •was educated in tho University of Illinois and graduated at Oberlln College, Ohio, with tho class of '78. He studied law, but afterwards resolve'd to go into the ministry. Accordingly he took a course at the Presbyterian Theological Institute at Pittsburgh, graduating In 18S2. Ho became a Congregational preacher and was pastor at Bait Lake City three years, then came to Dakota, and has for five years past been flllinc pulpits at Ipswich and Aberdeen. He also has served considerable time aa an educator and taught mechanical and civil engineering in Pittsburgh. He was reared in the Republican faith, though always inclined to low tariffs, which tact, it is considered, furnishes the main reason why the Democrats finally threw their votes to him. He espoused the cause of the Independent party, and July 4 last addressed an immense audience in Brown County, where he expressed radical views on modern reform ideas, especially favoring a low tariff, and it was this speech that brought him first into prominence in this State and indirectly brought about his subsequent nomination and election to the State Senate. He is married and has one child. His home is la Aberdeen.] DEATH IN A MINE. Four Men Killed in a Colliery N,ear Scottdale, Pa Several Others Are Missing. SCOTTDALE, Pa., Feb. 17.—The Meyer mine, owned by W. J. Rainey is on fire Four men are known to have been killed and six or seven are missing. The fire was kindled by a miner accidentally dropping a naked lamp at the bottom of the shaft, which is 100 feet deep. The lamp exploded, igniting the accumulated mine gas, which exploded with a terrific report and scattered the flames in every direction. The mine caught fire and the large furnace used for ventilating the mine was destroyed. The interior of the mine seems to be one mass of furious flames. A large number of men are at work turning water into the mine. Mautz creek has been turned from its course into the mine-shaft and is pouring a large quantity of water into the seething abyss. The Meyer coke plant, one of the largest in the region, employed 500 men. The men at this place had refused to join the ranks of the strikers, and the works were running full. Fifty miners were at work at the time of the explosion. A DARING ROBBERY. Republican Majority Ju PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 18.— In the uru- nicipal elections Tuesday Ed win &• Stewart (Rep.) was elected mayor by about 35,000 majority over A. H. uer (Dem..) , A London Bank Loses a Big Sum Through a Stylish Thief. LONDON, Feb. 17.—A decided sensa- iion has been caused in the city by a daring bank robbery, committed in broad daylight. A stylishly dressed man, standing in the National Provincial Bank of England, 113 Bishop Gate, ac» costed a clerk fron a London branch of the Bank of Scotland, who was stand* ing at the public counter of the National Provincial Bank in the act of making a deposit of money. When spoken to by the stranger the clerk turned toward him and replied to his question. While the conversation, which only lasted a moment or so, was going on, a man who was evidently an accomplice of the stylish stranger, snatched from the clerk a wallet containing bonds and checks representing £11,000, and ran out of th« bank. H« has not been captured. GIBSON INDICTED. Action of the Chicago Grand Jury with Reference to t»« WUlsky Trust's Secretary. CHICAGO, Feb. 17.—The grand jury has decided to indict George J. Gibson, the secretary of the whisky trust. The indictment has not been issued as yet. The board of directors of the whisky trust held a meeting here Monday. The resignation of Secretary Gibson was tendered. Iu accepting it the board assured Mr. Gibson of their entire confidence in his integrity and honesty and their belief that he would he able to establish his innocence be-

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free