Extracted Article Text (OCR)
Page 16 August 28, 2003 PAUL BUNYAN DAYS 2003 A Special Section of the Advocate-News The Mendocino Beacon The 'Super Skunk' rejoins the CWR stable Reprinted from The Noyo Chief September-October 1965 Saturday. July 10 will go down as a red-letter day in history for the California Western Railroad. On this day. after an absence of 35 years, regularly scheduled steam passenger service returned to the now world-famous "Skunk Line." When highway travel made its "invasion" of the Mendocino Coast with resulting dwindling passenger revenue steam passenger service was replaced in 1925 by the gasoline-powered railcar, Motor 80, which later became affectionately known as the "Skunk." The last steam passenger service on the CWR was made in May, 1930. Although a combination baggage- passenger coach was carried on the night freight prior to World War 11, it was mostly for U.
S. Mail and Railway Express. Named the "Super Skunk," the steam powered passenger train supplements the regular Diesel-powered "Skunks." Visitors are able to drive to Fort Bragg, take the "Super Skunk" to Willits to enjoy lunch or a picnic and return that after- nron. A "shake-down" or test run was made July 2, and a press run on July 8. Photographers and other members of the press and TV were busy at work all along the 40-mile, 2 trip.
The return trip afforded opportunities for additional picture-taking at scenic spots. Among the passengers were CWR retirees who had received special invitations to make the historic ride. Pleasant memories were relived as the train "snaked" its way through the Noyo River country and as the locomotive roared its exhaust in defiance to the "mountain." The Inaugural Run was made on Friday, July 9, following appropriate ceremonies at the Fort Bragg depot. The program was highlighted by the christening of the "Super Skunk" by Mrs. Clair MacLeod, wife of CWR's president, while spectators and passengers cheered.
The "Super Skunk" consists of steam locomotive Number 45 (Mikado class, or 'She'll be comin' around the mountain" is an apt caption for Extra 45 East, the "Super Skunk" as the train winds along the Noyo River Canyon near Milepost 14. 2-8-2 wheel arrangement) and four 72- foot, 84-passenger coaches. The locomotive was built in November, 1924 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works for the Oregon-Owen Lumber Company and was used as Number 3 on logging and switch engine service around Medford, Ore. The locomotive arrived May 3 and was overhauled and restored in the Roundhouse by CWR crews. Mechanical work was supervised by Master Mechanic llmar Carlson and Roundhouse Foreman Dan Shea.
Boiler repair was by Ace Boiler and Welding Works, of San Francisco, with Henry Watson supervising. The four coaches, built in 1926, were purchased from the Eric-Lackawanna R.R. and were completely renovated and re-designed including all new red Nau- gahyde upholstery. Walter Landor Associates, industrial designers, created the color scheme for the new train which is vermilion, cool red, gold and black colors creating an atmosphere reminiscent of the 19th century. Reservations and information may be obtained by writing to the California Western Railroad, Fort Bragg.
Here's Why Paul Babe Go to Jack's Full Service Napa Auto Care Center Smog Center aflune-Ups ef Transmission Service Conditioning efExhaust efCFN Gas Station Maintenance Engine Repair 31 Years of Local Service! 1 Jack's Muffler Shop 110 Manzanita Ave. Fort Bragg 964-4311 Auto Tech's Mike Drake Jeff Costa Next to Jenny's Giant Burger Fred C. Holmes Lumber Company Phyllis Hautala Fred C. Holmes Steve Holmes Fred C. Holmes Lumber Company is a wholesale lumber yard specializing in redwood.
It also supplies Bay Area contractors with framing materials and other wood products for large housing tracts. The Holmes family has been in the lumber business for four generations. In 1903, J.H. Holmes founded Holmes Eureka Lumber Company, one of the first sawmills on the Humboldt Bay. Fred V.
Holmes operated Holmes Eureka until its sale to Pacific Lumber Company in 1958. Fred C. Holmes built a small sawmill north of Fort Bragg in 1946 and in 1949 he started Fred C. Holmes Lumber Company. Shortly thereafter, he purchased 22 acres from Union Lumber Company and installed a sorting chain, planer and resaw equipment.
(This is the same location where the Glass Beach Subdivision and Fred C. Holmes Lumber Company are located today.) In 1971, Fred purchased the Morrison and Jackson Sawmill in Myers Flat and the Englewood Sawmill at Redcrest. He sold all his lumber businesses to Georgia Pacific Corp. in 1974 when he became general manager of the Northern California Division of Georgia Pacific. In 1978, Fred left Georgia Pacific and reactivated his wholesale lumber business.
Fred C. Holmes Lumber Company is presently owned and operated by his children, Steve Holmes and Phyllis Hautala. Fred and his wife Lois reside on their ranch, Holmestead Farms, northeast of Marysville, CA. Wholesale Lumber 1 211 W. Elm Fort Bragg 964.6377J.
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 300+ newspapers from the 1700's - 2000's
- Millions of additional pages added every month
About Ukiah Daily Journal Archive
- Pages Available:
- Years Available: