The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on February 7, 1956 · Page 66
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 66

Publication:
Location:
Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, February 7, 1956
Page:
Page 66
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Firsf Annual Report of Progress '..."....>. Of The Algona Light Plant Shows 9.3% Output Increase '55; Many Improvements This meeting is often to the public and for farmers interested in swine quality improvement. Kossuth Motor Had 'Meat Type' Hog Clinic On Feb. 9 Swine q n a 1 i t y improvement and boar testing will bo the topic of a meeting planned for Thursday altcrnoon, February 9, according to Dean L. Barnes, county extension director, Algona. The meeting will be held- in the V.F.W. building, Algona, beginning at 1:30 p.m. with Dr. Ralph Durham, animal breeding specialist from Ames, as trie feature speaker. Dr. Durham is in charge of the new boar testing station being built at Ames. He will explain the boar testing program to be used, and also a, testing program which local farmers can use on their swine herds to improve their meat type qualities. A newly printed "Litter Record Card" will be given out free to interested farmers. Payroll In 1955 One of north Iowa's largest and oldest Chevrolet dealerships, Kossuth Motor Co. of Algona, completed its 20th year of operation in 1955, and at the same time completed one of its bpst years in business. With seventeen persons — mechanics, office and parts personnel, arid sales force- on, its staff, the Kossuth Motor local payroll for the year 1955 came to approximately $60,000.00. Housed in a Targe new structure which was erected in 1950 at the southwest corner of Courthouse square here, the firm has since taken a number of steps to enlarge and improve its service and quarters still more. A service station and corner lot adjacent to the K6ssuth Motor main garage was acquired in 1953, and a large acquisition of new equipment installed on completion of the new building has since been greatly augmented. The firm now handles one of the largest Chevrolet parts stocks in Iowa, including metal body parts. Don Nelson, head of the company, states that as a Chevrolet dealership and as a garage equipped to handle service on all makes, the firm will continue its program of acquiring the latest automobile equipment and maintaining a high level of service and parts stock for the driving public of this area. DIES Monona and Wopdbury counties lost one of their oldest residents recently. Loyal Greenstreet died at Moorhead at the age of 92, after living most of his life in that area. . SHOT When he brought his .410 gauge into the house to warm it up, after hunting rabbits, Dale Aldrich, 21, of near* Anamosa was shot in the wrist. The gun was' dropped, accidentally discharging it. '•^$$®$i^.''••••••. An increase of 9.3 % in output of electric light and power, and a transfer of $27,616.80 from the electric department to the general fund of the City of Algona, are two notable items in the report of the electric department of the Algona Municipal Utilities, as rendered by the Utilities Commission for the year ending Dec. 31, 1955. This increase of 9.3% in output, as explained by Utilties bupt. Jim Palmer, amounted to 131,825 kilowatt hours, with the total generation of light and power for the municipal plant amounting to 14,238,350 kilowatt hours for the year of 1955. The peak load carried at the plant •A f as 3,500 kilowatts at one time an increase in peak load of 200 kilowatt hours, or 6% larger than at any time in the year previous. It was stated by Palmer that no single development caused this increase, but that it was a general overall increase in light and power over the community at large, indicating a larger gen- oral demand for light and power here. The new engine in the plant accounted for 9,357,900 kilowatts, or almost 66% of the total generated during the year. This engine operated 7,301 hours out of a possible 8,460 hours, or 83% of the time during 1955. The No. 5 engine was super-charged during the year, which raised its capacity from 1,004 to 1,500 kilowatts, or an increase of 500 kilowatts for this engine. Cost of the super-charging was $29,000. Engines No. 3, 4 and 5 were converted to dual fuel operation permitting the use of natural gas which is resulting in a large saving in fuel costs for thes? engines. This conversion cost came to $59,200.. Of interest is the fact the light plant is the largest single uwr of natural gas in the community. It was also' revealed in the electric department report liv 1955 that thirty-one new transformer were added to the distribution system, and CO new electric meters placed. Of interest to all citizens is the transfer of funds in the amount of $27,616.80 from iho electric department to the ciiy's Fund. This, in essence, repr<=son*s a dividend p?.id to the ciiizens of A'cpna from the 1905 opevailon ot the light plant. Pay roll for regular employees of the plant, numbering 19 came to $09,1)^9.00 for the pas: year, and iht> p^y roll for extn IsLor for the year's period wa o2,858. It was noted in the report t!:a state sales tax paJJ fc-r 'he yiv by the fu-cirii; ;i:-p .rli'v.n p.tnoun'<:-d tn $">./£>' VS. This ia\ v.Tis p'-id from c'.rctric funds ur.' was not p.'aced on Lilb rendf-reJ to consumers. Members uf the A!."?nn.i .Municipal Utilities commission, which suprevises operation of utilities in the city, are Allen Buchanan president, M. Joseph Bradley, C R. McQuiston, and Ira Kohl. T J. (Jim) Palmer is general superintendent. General offices of the municipal utilities are located in the City Hall on East Call street. 8—Algona (la.) Upper Des Moines Tuesday, February 7, 1956 13,509 Phone Calls Now Made Each Day NW Bell Launches $650,000 Program With start of construction on the new telephone building at the corner of Dodge and Call streets in Algona, a $650,000 improvement and expansion program is being launched here by Northwestern Bell Telephone Co. The modern building, first step in a ^eries of moves that include the installation of dial telephones here, production of a new directory, extension of wire and cable to all parts of the city, and erection of a number of new rural lines, is exected to be completed by July 1. H. J. Cowan is general contractor for the building project. Almost 3,000 Phones Now Interesting statistics pertaining to telephone service growth here have been released for this 'Report of Progress" edition by J. L. Claude, local telephone company manager. At the close of 1955, the number of telephones serving Algona was approaching the 3,000 mark, with nearly 1,000 phones having been added here in the past ten years. At present, the local system is handling more than 13,500 local and long distance calls daily—a rise of 6,000 a day over the average ten years ago, according to Claude. Additional Features Planned In addition to building construction and line improvement, the company also plans the introduction here of speaker phones, automatic answering equipment, volume control telephones, light-up dial;;, telephones in colors, and other modern equipment. 3,000 telephones today — ove: which almost 14,000 calljs are made every day—as against just 50 phones that were connected to the switchboard here in 1895 ... a symbol of progress and growth for the Algona community. DRIVE-IN i Jerry Wolfe's drug store in Osceola is being referred to this week ' as "Jerry's Drive - In." Cliff Coyle's automobile, left parked with the motor running, crept through the front plate- glass window. The Algona Upper Des Moines nas the largest circulation in Kossuth county of any publication. OVER MILLION GALLONS GAS . . During the year 1955, 104 tank cars, carrying 10,000 gallons df gas each, were processed through our plan! in Algona. This gas, in both bulk and bottle, Was used by our 1,000 retail customers, plus 65 dealers whom we serve in the area as wholesale accounts. It was our privilege to add over 100 new home heating accounts during the year. , / • As part of an expansion program. Rapid Thermogas purchased the bottle gas business of the Bjuslrom Furniture Co. of Algona; added one new retail truck to the present fleet ol 8; and increased the personnel from eight to 10. A major improvement was the building of an addition to the present warehouse. The picture of ottr plant above shows the addition which is just to the left of the large Thermogas sign. This addition was built to enable us to carry a more complete stock of gas burning appliances and to better service our dealers and retail customers. With an annual payroll o* $45,00*0.00, Rapid Thermogas contributes its share to the Algona community as it progresses and develops through intensified efforts byialL We like to be a part in Algona's progress. PHONE 16 - ALGONA Thermogas Co. so. PHILLIPS ST. REPORT OF PROGRESS Kossuth Mutual Insurance Association Lola Seuffham, Secretary INCREASE IN VOLUME OF INSURANCE BUSINESS IN 1955 $6,067,838.00 TOTAL LOSSES PAID IN 1955 $104,049.80 TOTAL INSURANCE NOW IN FORCE $72,081,418.00 SERVING KOSSUTH COUNTY SINCE mi NEAR MISS Elmer Htwitt, five year old Nora Springs boy, carried hi? baby sister, eight, months, into the kitchen and right into the path of his mother, who was carrying a pan of boiling water Elmer was painfully burned; tht baby was unhurt. LONG TRIP Two runaway teenagers were picked up at Grinnell recently after they had driven from Gary Indiana, in a car belonging to the grandfather of one of them. Tin driver was 13 years old. Tiiev were "running off" after a quai'- rel at home, they told police. The first newspaper we-u o' the Alleghenies was the Pittsburgh Gazette, founded in 1786 by John Scull and Joseph Hall Some Things About MOTOR CO. ounded in 1935 under our present name, Kossuth Motor Co- of Algona has since had continuous operation as one of northern Iowa's oldest and largest Chevrolet dealerships. Consistently, over these years, we have grown and kept pace with the ever-growing public acceptance of the dynamic Chevrolet automobile. carried one of north Iowa's largest stock of genuine Chevrolet car and truck parts, with one of the largest stocks of metal body parts available in any Iowa Chevrolet dealership. O ur new building, housing modern garage, showroom, parts department and offices, was erected in 1950, and at the same time a large acquisition of new garage equipment was made, which has been added to since. In 1953, the large corner used car lot, with filling station, was acquired, making the facilities of Kossuth Motor Co. still more complete. In our parts department is Motor Co. activity has carried forward by the year, keeping pace with Chevrolet leadership nationally. Some of our present employees have been with us since our founding in 1935, and others for ten years or more. All of this has contributed to our 'progress' . . . and we are pleased to join with others of our community in reprinting these facts of our 'private life' . • . and to renewing our pledge for rendering the finest and most complete typs cf service passible in our chosen field. We'd Like You to Know! • We sell and service the complete line of Chevrolet cars and trucks, and maintain one of north Iowa's largest and most complete stocks of genuine Chevrolet parts. • Our modern garage facilities include special departments for lubrication and wash, motor tune-up, complete mechanical overhaul, front end alignment, complete body and paint shop — with nothing lacking for complete service to all makes cars and trucks. • We have seventeen skilled persons on our staff, in all departments, each of them ready and on call to give top service at all times. * • Our payroll for the year 1955, which went into the hands of local residents in our employ, amounted to approximately $60,000.00. Continuing To Serve With The Finest In Product, Parts and "Know-How" ... Is The Pledge and Motto of Kossuth Motor Co., Algona

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free