The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on February 7, 1956 · Page 57
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 57

Publication:
Location:
Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, February 7, 1956
Page:
Page 57
Start Free Trial
Cancel

, . « _ First Annual Report of Progress , . . . , . i ^ . . . . Of The Algona Community _!_._!_.-% — - ^ _. _, ... . rj -_j " •-.'•.. -. ...... ^.. .... _ '' $522,000 Courthouse A County Pride Laying Of Cornerstone The five members of the Kossuth county board of supervisors in 1953, S. D. McDonald, chairman, Henry Scheppmann, Charles Newel, Tony Kollasch and Bill Cosgrpve, left to right, are shown studying the cornerstone of the new courthouse. McDonald, who died in November, 1955, and Cosgrove are no longer on the board. Following the festivities, inspection tours of the building were conducted, giving all a chance to.see the new building and offices. >ss A new courthouse Bounty became a : *rcanty*in 1355 .vlien dedication ceremonies were held on the courthouse lawn Sunday, June 5. The new. completely modern $522,000 structure took almost two years lo complete, and replaced the building which served faithfully for 81 years prior to its destruction in May, 1953. The old courthouse had become an eyesore, and although it served well during those many years, it could no Iflngor cop? with the rigors of wear and tear. Years of planning went into th;' new building. County officers and residents talked of replacing the old courthouse for a long time, but the actual project got underway in 1947 when the board of supervisors called for an election on the question of '.-••suing £500,000 worth of bonds nt 'build a new t wo-s lory strue- eptember 9, 1947 was a big day. The bond election was held and the proposal carried. The dream of a new building was finally realized almost eight years later. Master of ceremonies at the dedication was Judge G. W. Stillman. Judge Harry E. Narey, Spirit Lake, was the featured speaker and Rev. Meinecke of Lakota Save the invocation. Judge Fred M. Hudson,- Pocahontas, made the presentation and S. D. McDonald, late chairman of the board of supervisors, accepted for the r.oun'.y. Benediction was given by R;v. G. G. Hallauer of Algona. Bar.ds from six Kossuth County towns, Algona, Burt, Grant, La- l.oi.., TnonKa and Whittemore oporu 1 -'. the Dm-'mm with a concert tu 1:30 a;ul drill units of the Amr. : ri»n Le» o i ana vru prc- ren'iccl the colors. Cook's Welders Produces Two Million Ft. Gas Also Handles Compressed Air For Skin Divers Producing and distributing over two million cubic feet of gas in 1955. Cook's Welder's Supply Co. of Algona reached a record mark of production, according to Richaid J. Cook, owner of the- firm. This production was aided, "said Cook, by'the recent completion of a modern new plant, which is located just north of the Milwaukee depot here. Cook's 'Welder's Supply Co.. the first independent manufacturer of acetylene gas in Iowa, produces and distributes gases of all types and welding supplies to a large area- in its own trucks. In addition to acetylene gases for welding, the firm handles such other items as hydrogen, helium, carbon dioxide, etc. They also distribute oxygen and medicinal gas^s to many city, state and county hospital's in northern nnd central Iowa. And according to Cook, there is no end to the thing! Early last Summer they were called on frorn Lake Okoboji for compressed air tor skin divers tanks—and the local firm promptly responded by delivering that item so that skin divers could undertake exploration of the lake bottom. Besides gases, Cook's Welder's Supply also handles a complete line of farm and industrial welding equipment, band saw blades and other items, and oxygen and equipment for home use. Employees of the firm are Arnold Gerdes, sales manager. Mrs Arnold Gerdes, book-keeper, Bob Bonnett, salesman, Harry Hargreaves, acetylene plant operator. New Motel Has 3,687/Guests' The Acreage Motel, completed and opened here in February, 1954, was "host" to 3,687 guests from the opening date to the close, of 1955. The new motel, owned and operated by H. D. and Linda Clapsaddle, is located on the east edge of Algona. The motel openecf with twelve deluxe units, and by the opening of the pheasant season last fall, had completed and opened six more units, making eighteen in all. All units are deluxe, with carpeting, telephones, soft water showers, etc. H. D. Clapsaddle is a former co-owner of the Kossuth Oil Co. here, and Linda Clapsaddle served as Mayor of Algona in 1955 until her resignation from that office in the fall. A large crowd attended dedication ceremonies for the new courthouse, held Sunday, June 5. on the courthouse lawn. Judge G. W. Stillman, Alsona, was master of ceremonies. Judge Harry E. Narey, Spirit Lake, speaker at the event. Inspection tours of the building were conducted after a band concert and the dedication program. The $522.000 building WPS completed in less than two years, following destruction of the 81-year old former courthouse in May, 1953, and followed eight years of planning. Sargent Plant Here Serves 200 Now serving 200 dealers with feeds manufactured here, the Algona plant of Sargent & Co. is now equipped to turn out fifty different. Sargent feeds, it has been announced by Dick Johan- sen, plant manager. The feed plant, one of fouT Sargent feed manufacturing plants, now serves northern Iowa, southern Minnesota and eastern South Dakota, and Sargent feeds made here are distributed by truck to these areas. A new 65 x 85. foot addition added here in recent years has increased the plant's capacity, due to larger warehousing fai:il- Algjijlha (la.) Upper Des Moines— 7 Tuesday, February 7, 1956 ities for raw ingredients. A modernization of machinery has also been completed. Sargent's Algona plant is located at the CNW tracks and State street. The company's home offices and laboratories are in Des Moines. REPORT OF PROGRESS .^ f**A IOWA KANSAS MINNESOTA COLORADO • WISCONSIN • ILLINOIS » MISSOURI NEBRASKA • SOUTH DAKOTA • NORTH DAKOTA •J We Wish To Say: Thank You for Your Fine Friendship! For it is this friendship — which we have tried to return — that has resulted in patronage that has enabled us at Viking Oil. Co. to increase and improve our facilities for giving the best possible products and the best possible service. We feel that this method of doing business has had a, lot to do with the ever-widening area that we serve, and with the increasing number of customers we have the privilege of handling. We are on the job at Viking Oil Co. to see that you get the most for your car or truck servicing dollar, and the same goes for our growing fuel business. That is the way we will keep going, and we feel it is the kind of product you want from us. We value your friendship greatly! Gas -* Oils OIL CO. Greases - Tires - Wheel Balancing Bulk Wagon Fuel Delivery in City and County ALC0NA IOWA E. B. Carlson Manager It is with a feeling of genuine interest and a spirit of community pride that Druggists' Mutual Insurance Company of Iowa takes this space to acknowledge the progress of the Algona community, and to express our faith that such progress will be a continuing thing in the future. Though our company now does business in the ten states listed above, our roots go deep in this community, because it has been the center of our operations for many years. Our home offices, which were a few years ago increased by the construction of a large modern addition, have been located here. Our staff is composed of capable folks who live among you. The very origin of our company, which 47 years ago was merely an "idea" in the heqd of pioneer druggist Al Falkenhainer, occurred on Kossuth county soil. Thus, though our insurance business has grown ten-fold over the years, we still take pride in our home community. As our company has grown with the years, we have increased our operations here ... in the home offices in Algona. We confidently expect that growth to continue, and in the future as in the past, Druggi-'s' Mutual expresses its pleasure to be a part of this fine community. The contribution of Druggists' Mutual to the general economy of this community is, one that cannot be overlooked. Our local payroll — which is for the most part spent locally — amounts to approximately $60,000.00 per year. Our substantial reserves and reinsurance enable us to furnish non-assessable insurance to more than 6,000 druggists and doctors, in the ten state area we now serve. Over 16,000 separate claims have been paid by Druggists' Mutual over the years. And over $2,425,000-00 in dividends have been returned to our pplicyholders since our company was founded in October, 1909. 1909 DRUGGISTS' MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY OF IOWA 7956 HOME OFFICES ALGONA, IOWA

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free