The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on February 7, 1956 · Page 53
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 53

Publication:
Location:
Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, February 7, 1956
Page:
Page 53
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 53 article text (OCR)

First Annual Report of Progress ...... Of The Algona Community When Natural Gas Came To Algona .._„..„..,.. - * . _ *s^ Natural Gas 2 School Systems Plan Now Going To Expansion, Improvement 1,10 Users 353,000,000 cubic feet of natural gas came into Algona in the year of 1955, and was distributed to the 1,147 present users here— both home and commercial — through the 46-mile pipe system thus far installed by the utility firm, North Central' Public Service Co., of Algona. These interesting statistics were presented for the "First. Annual Report of Progress of the Algona Community" by G. J. Donovan, manager. In giving facts concerning the company's first full year of operation here, Donovan stated that 67% of the homes and business firms of the city are now using natural gas. 1.147 Users End of '55 Gas was first turned on here on Sept. 21, 1954, after construction of the system, which begat, on July 9, 1954. Numerous hookups have been made since the original turning on of the gas locally, bringing the total nu.n- ber of customers at the close oi i 1955 to 1,147. Of these, 350 are j non-heating rer.iden.tial, 637 are ! heating residential, 13 aro nrm ' heating commercial, ;:nd 137 aro commercial heat. Large users are the Algona Municipal Electric plant, which runs its engines on gas, and the Algona Creamery Co. The gas distributing system hero is of the intermediate pros- , sure type, which reduces the pressure autojvuHieally as tiie gas is distributed to. customers, via the pipe lines. Gas enters the town border station ai » pressure of 350 pounds, and i.> there reduced to fifty poun.is o! pressure. ^Vt the district regulators within the city, of which there are three, the pressure u further reduced to 15 pounds, and at the meter of the user it is reduced to four ounces of pressure, ample for use in any way. There are 132 district valves in the system now in operation here. New Name. Last Year The Federal Power Commission approved allocation of natural gas to Algona in May, 1954, and the local franchise had been granted two years previously, in Sept., 1952. The name "North Central Public Service Co." was installed for the Algona utility last year. In describing progress made thus far in supplying natural gas here, Donovan said that the present distributing system i.= designed to "grow with the city", so th:it .service can be supplied on call to all prospective new users, whether homo, eommercia' or industrial. Festival Motors Adds Equipment 1955 was a year of improvement for Percival Motors, Dodge and Plymouth dealer on South Phillips street in Algona. According to Clayton Percival, head oi the firm, the following steps forward were taken in the year just oast: Re-arrangement of shop facilities; installing of new hydraulic hoist: construction of new pit for wheel alignment; addition of one more mechanic; new equipment for "trueing" tires; shoo supervision by foreman. Pen ival Motors has been housed in a modern garage plant on South Phillips for several years, and the steps taken in 1955 were additions to their already cum|,K-U set-up. Jr. F-B Banquet The Kossuth Farm Bureau sponsored a banquet Jan. 20 for the Farm Bureau Young People at the Burl high school to help gain new members. Lois Huene- rnan state president, was guest speaker, followed by square dancing. The rapidly growing Algona Community School District. whose elementary enrollment doubled during the ten yea.r period, 1945-1955, look a huge stride towards solving overcrowded classroom conditions when voters in the district decided overwhelmingly in favor of spending $544,000 for new additions and improvements during a special election Dec. 5. The vote was preceded by months of study by a 32- member citizens' advisory committee, tfie board of education and architects. As a result of the acceptance of the $544,000 bond issue, construction of additions to Bryant and Lucia Wallace schools and a new east side school was assured. Sites for present elementary and future high school needs, including senior high school building and athletic field were included in the plans and vote. Several years ago, before the area was reorganized. Tuesday, February 1, 1$56 Algona (ia.) Upper Des Mtfine»-3 a high school anne* and th* Lucia Wallace school were built Ihfdugh separate bond issues. The annex houses vocational agriculture classroom and workshop, a band room and large basement fcrea for the school lunch program, while Lucia Wallace houses portions of kindergarten to fourth ' grade inclusive. ' ' Every possible attempt has been made to utilize all Space in the present buildings by the use of partitions and rebuilding interiors, but in mdst cases the renovations failed to solve the problem. • It is not known when work on the additions and new building will get underway. Expansion of facilities'at Si. Cecelia's Academy was announced early in October, 1955. According to the statemenl, issued by Msgr. P. P. Gearen, bids for a new catholic high school a*a to be let early this year, due to an increase of 27 per cent in the number of students at the local school. A total of 453 enrolled for the 1955-56 school year, more than a fourth more than in 1950. Plans call for the present school building to be maintained and used for grade school students. Construction of the new high school building may begin early this spring. ' Production has now reached 675 pnpines and approximately 9,000 small parts per month. The company now/ services all of Iowa, Nebraska and one-half of South Dakota in reconditioning of engines and parts, and maintains warehouses in Omaha and Des Moines. Rolling stock consists of seven trucks, two semi-trailers and three passenger cars. In commenting on the Algona community's progress over the past twelve months, Metcalf stated: "We are thoroughly satisfied, from our own experience in this community, that all of the elements for continued progress are here. Though our business is secured in three states, our manufacturing and processing work is done here, and it is a source of pride to us that the caliber of work done by people of this community has resulted in a fine growth for our company. We are happy that it has been possible for us to contribute to the growing economy of this area." Assisting Metcalf, president, in the company's iVianagement are I. (Pudge) Miller, assistant manager, and Walt Lichter, plant foreman. Universal Mfg. Exceeds Million In Sales Total piiiiiiniiiiniiniifnminiiwi A' record high of sales totaling $1,250,000.00 was reached in. the year 1955 by Universal Manufacturing Co. here, it has been announced by M. C. (Oscar) Metcalf, president and general manager of the local firm. This announcement was made in conjunction with the presentation of the Upper Des Moines "First Annual Report of Progress" erf the Algona community. Of interest locally is the fact that the company's roster of employees rose during the year to seventy people, as compared with 45 in 1954. The payroll for 1955 exceeded $220,000.00. Universal Manufacturing, one of the 24 authorized Ford engine reconditioners in the United States, during the-year past added General Motors and Chrysler 'engines to its regular Ford line, and to accomodate growing volume in its over-all reconditioning business, erected a. 30 x 50 foot addition to the main building. ADVERTISING in the Algoni Upper Des Moines reaches more families in Kossuth county than any other publication. ALCQNA Above is shown the original Sargent Feed plant, as it existed in Algona for many years. The structure served well, but expansion became necessary at the site when more and more dealers were served with Sargent Feeds from this plant. It was just a case of outgrowing our "britches". Today With 200 feed dealers in three states being served from the Algona plant, recent additions to the plant became necessary. Photo at left shows the Sargent plant here today, except for another new addition that in recent years went up to iha south of the structures shown. Much moderniz- inn of plant equipment went e'rna with the building deyejU ppment. "" FEED SARGENT FEEDS — that familiar slogan has coma to appear in an ever-widening area in the middle West, and we of the Algona plant are proud to have shared in this expanding use of Sargent Feeds. We are now serving some 200 Sargent feed dealers in northern Iowa, southern Minnesota and eastern South Dakota from the Algona plant — one of four Sargent feed manufacturing centers. Our new addition, measuring 65 x 85 feet, is used for warehousing raw ingredients, and we are now manufacturing and distributing from Algona 50 different types of Sargent feeds. We are pleased to report our part in the community's progress, and to pay our sincere respscts to those many, many farmers who know and use Sargent Feeds — and find them everything they want in top quality feeds! AIGONA PLANT & RETAIL CNW TRACKS AT STATE STREET Sargent Feeds Also Sold Here By Algona Flour ft c o K » S WELDERS SUPPLY CO First Independent Manufacturer of Acetylene Gas in Iowa ALGQN A Manufacturers and Distributors One of The Main Spokes in The Wheel of Industry N 3 =5 SOME mm EOT INTERESTING FACTS • In 1955 we recorded the biggest year in our history. • We produced and distributed, in the past year, over two million cubic feet of acetylene gas. • We distributed oxygen and medicinal gases to many of the city, county and state hospitals in northern and central Iowa. • We produced and distributed hydrogen, helium, nitrogen, argon, carbon dioxide, acetylene, cyclopropane, nitrious oxide and other gases for industry and business. • We supplied several of the lake regions in the summer with compressed air for skin diving. • Besides the gases, we handle a complete line of welding supplies, including farm and industrial welding machines, gas welding and cutting equipment, a full line of band saw blades and many other related items. • As the first independent manufacturer of acetylene gas in the state of Iowa, we have seen our business grow year by year, until we deemed it essential •o have larger quarters, which resulted in the erection of a new plant (pictured above) north of the Milwaukee tracks in Algona. Our former quarters on South Phillips street are also being utilized. • We look forward to continued progress — to continued perfecting of our products — and to being a part of this growing community. C O ALGONA, IOWA

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page