The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on February 7, 1956 · Page 31
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 31

Publication:
Location:
Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, February 7, 1956
Page:
Page 31
Start Free Trial
Cancel

'first Annual Report of Progress ...... . • • Of The Algona Community W$t &lsona Upper ®es* Jffloine* for the splendid reception you have given to our new CONOCO SERVICE STATION * .• • ' Four of us to serye you every day and evening until 9:30 LUBRICATION WASHING WAX & POLISH^ MINOR TUNE-UP TOWING SERVICE WHEEL BALANCING' WHEEL ALIGNMENT GENERATOR & STARTER REPAIR HEADLIGHTS ADJUSTED GOODRICH TIRES & BATTERIES Struecker's Conoco Service WE GIVE S & H GREEN STAMPS 1955 Chamber \ Of Commerce 1 • . ' Activity Given i A report of activities of the Alt gona Chamber of Commerce for 1955 showed that the organization and the local office had .a busy year. The C. of C. membership, composed of local businessmen, was engaged in everything .froth assisting in the vaccination, of dogs and cats for prevention Of. rabies to more sedate actiytle& such as/ local tax studied. '. A report of the more important Chamber df Commerce events in 1955, as given by Bill Steele.^P. of C. secretary/ are as follbwBJ' ( ; Algona 4- HClub Day, at;wnlcjh 46 county 4-H Clubs displayea thqir projects in local stores, and were entertained by local businessmen. This event has rece'Vj ed national recognition. SeVemti annual 'Algona Band FestiySlj participated in by 27 area bands, and' witnessed by a crowo. of approximately 6,000. Pet parade, a; public health measure to (curb rabies. A number of city-wide promotions, including Dollar Days, Spring Festival, Treasure, Hunt, Lucky Bucks Days, Turkey Days, during which hs.'f a ton of turkeys were given away, arid Santa Claus Day, .at which 2,500 sacks of candy were distribute^. Assisted In Projects V'; Chamber members- also engag 1 ' ed in a large number of othef projects during 1955, either -as, C. of C. events or assisting other organizations. These included an auto "Safety Check" event, annual Flight Breakfast in the airport, a Christmas sales training school, vocational guidance pan-j els at the high school, assistance; in Rural Youth program, June' Dairy Month, Kossuth County, Governor's conference on education, and other like events. .Various Chamber committees were extremely active during the year. The Tax Study committee attended all budget hearings and supplied information with respect to local tax problems. The Housing committee actively cooperated with the city council in promoting housing, with the net result that thirty new homes Were erected in 1955, while the Industrial committee has worked in close cooperation with the Iowa Development Commission in supplying data to industrial firms elsewhere on Algona's potentials. The Retail committee handled a large program of citywide events throughout the year. At present, for the tenth year, Chamber of Commerce members are serving coffee and doughnuts at the conclusion of each Fann- ers Evening School sessions held here at the high school. The .Chamber also operates the Wcs- •tern Union agency here. ' .Herb Hedlund, general manager of the Pioneer Hi-Bred Corn plant here, is president of the AlgBna Chamber of Commerce. AIGONA, IOWA, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 1956 VOL. 93 - NO. 6 Lone Rock Gets Dividend \ ' Partner in Algona's March of Progress .,., j|s *«^$Pit 'i:j|S l ^j;;iiiM%^^^VJ^j™.%lg:ljS^i^ 1954 County Detail Sales Totals Given 1 There were 353 retail business places in Kossuth County in the year 1954, which did a sales volume of $29,077,000, according to a 1954 census of business figures released for that year by the Department of Commerce census bureau. Figures for 1955 have not yet been released. Of the total group of 353 retail operations, for major kinds qf businesses, 1954 sales totals were broken down as follows: Lumber, building materials, hardware and farm equipment businesses, as a group, did the largest sales volume for the year, racking up a total of $7,086,000 in sales. Auto dealers received the next largest share of the , Kossuth county consumer's dol- < lar, doing a business of $5.453,000 in the twelve-months period, put- Ing a lot of Kossuth county drivers behind tl?e wheel of new cars. There were 24 dealers in the group. But people had to eat as well as build and drive cars, and they paid a total of $4,596,000 for groceries to 37 county food stores during the year. Sixty-two Kossuth county eating and drinking places did a business in that yeav ^totaling $1,449,000, while 49 ser-.'. >f-vice stations, achieved $2,283,000 in sales volume in 1954. Thirty-one county furniture and appliance stores did $1;176,000 in sales for the year, with 28 stores classified in the general merchandise group grossing a total'of $1,877,000 in sales. Ten drug . stores did $478,000 while twelve apparel stores did $684,000 worth of business in the twelve months. Figures' for milk dealers and stores with annual sales of between $500 and $2,500 were not detailed, but were included in the general county total. The Lone Rock Cooperative Exchange recently received $856.2 as savings dividends from the Farmers Elevator Service Co., one-half of the 1951 savings, and L. W. Geitzenauer, elevator manager, is receiving the dividend check from Floyd Kreger of the Farmer- Service Co. The savings checks were distributed during a cdnven tion held in Des Moines Jan. 23, 24 and 25. « * « " " ••• Check To Bode Elevator ARCHITECT'S SKETCH OF ALGONA'S NEW TELEPHONE BUILDING Ever since 1895, when the telephone first came to Algona, it has been a partner in the growth and progress of this community. There were only 50 telephones connected to the first switchboard. The instruments were noisy and crude. Nearly always, it was necessary to shout. But the telephone served an important need in the community — then as now. Today, the number of telephones serving Algona is approaching the 3,000 mark —about 400 of them in the rural area. Nearly 1,000 telephones have been added in the last 10 years. ; • Use of the telephone also tells a story of the value of the service. Today, more than 13,500 local and long distance calls are made each f day — an increase of 6,000'calls a clay over the average 10 years ago. They are calls that help build the growth and prosperity of Algona— calls that knit together the business and social life of the community. • • Through the years, the telephone system here has been expanded and improved to meet the city's needs — to keep pace with the changed tempo of living. * And now under way is another big step in meeting the present and future telephone requirements here —a $650,000 improvement and expansion program that includes a new telephone building and dial service. And with it, new facilities and services to meet the needs and wants of telephone users — speakcrphones, automatic answering ; equipment, .volume control telephones, light-up dials, telephones in various colors and syles, and other equipment to meet every communi- ,. cations problem. We are proud of our part in the history and growth of Algona, arjd itjs our whole-hearted desire to continue to contribute our full sharer toward the future prosperity and progress of the community. \ \ J. I, GIAMBI, M«maf«r . . ' 'J ' ' ' ' . NORTHWlStfRN tilt TitlPHQNE COMPANY In the above picture, E. M. Ellingson, manager of the Bode Elevator is shown as he received a savings, check . for Fred Welp, 55, Funeral Held Jan.31,Swea Swea Cily — Funeral services for Fred Welp were held Tuesday, Jan. 31 at the Methodist church here at 2 p.m. Rev. S. lammer was officiating clergyman and Miss Iva Moats, Mrs Tom Preston and Sam Link furnished the vocal music. Pallbearers were W. L. Reynolds, Sam Gibson, Joe Preston, Wm. Barger, Vern Lunn, and A. M. Tokheim. Burial was In Harrison township cemetery. Fred Welp, 55, was born March 26, 1900, at Kamrar, la., the son of Mr and Mrs Dirk Welp. He died Jan. 28 from a heart condition while at Bancroft. As an infant he was baptized in the Presbyterian faith. When he was 15 he moved with his family to rural Titonka. He was united In marriage to Jennie Marie Groen of Ledyard. Dec. 23, 1925. The young couple farmed for 9 years near Titonka and then moved to the Swea City community, where they have lived on the Patterson ranch for a number of years. One daughter, Lorraine June, was born to the couple. ' Survivors are his wife, his daughter, Mrs Harvey Work, and three grandchildren, Harvey Jr., Timothy Lynn, and Pamela Marie Work. There are also two sisters, Mrs Joe Temple of Kamrar and Mrs Harm Groen of Burt, and three brothers,. Eppo and Adolph, both of Kamrar and Ray Welp of Titonka. Two aunts, Harmke Klaver of Kamrar and Bertha Trampel of Blairsburg, and several nieces and nephews. Picked In Army Ceremonial Unit Washington, D. C.—Pvt. Loren A. Stecker, 21, son of Mr and Mrs Telkp Stecker, Titonka, la., recently was picked to serve in the 3d Infantry Regiment, the Army's top" ceremonial umt, in.. Washjingtori. D. C r . ' , . The 3d, the oldest active Army regiment, perforate .•'at military funerals; tjarad^',^4 .$**$$ laying at the Tomb <tf the Unknown .Soldier. -Members of the regiment maintain,24-hour sentry duty at the tomb. ' Private Stecker entered the Army in July 1955 .and was last stationed at Fort .Carson, Colo. A 1952 graduate of Titonka high school, he (attended Wartburg College in iWaverly; out the state, who handle Felco produc ADVERTISING tn the Algoni Upper Dea MOliies, reacnes more families In Kossuth'!,county thafl uiy other oubllcattoh SIXTY YEARS Of Service Completed In 1955 tiS' On December 31. 1955. F. S. Norton fc Son completed Us sixtieth yew of continuous business operation and seme* to the eom- munity. That amounts to 21,900 days In business . . . and encompasses a span of time thai has seen a wonder of progress her* and throughout the land. F. S. Norton & Son salutes a splendid record of progress by * fin* community, and tr* hold a deep inner satisfaction in knowing that we have been able to play a part in that achieremeoi. Now we turn to our sixty-fir?* yew. and ready oumlve* to fqrwwd stOl more with ih* folk* fia* *«»«*». t»4

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free