The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on February 7, 1956 · Page 29
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 29

Publication:
Location:
Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, February 7, 1956
Page:
Page 29
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Annual Report of Mogress . T. . .-,.•-/ t */v ;.-• • • • • • • . • • • • •'••'••Of rhe Algona Community The five members-of the Kossuth county board of supervisors, in 1953, S. D. McDonald, chair-" man, Henry Scheppmann, Charl-'' es Newel, Tony Kollasch and Bill Cosgrove, left to right, are showtk studying the .cornerstone of the new courthouse. McDonald, who died in November, 1955, and Cosgrove- are no longer , on .the' board; * Following the festivities, inspection tours of the building were conducted, giving all a chance to see the new building and offices. • A new.'courthouse, for K&fisulh tvhe'h dedication ceremonies were held on the courthouse lawn Sun-day, June 5. The new, completely modern $522,000 structure took almost two years to complete, and replaced the building which sejrv- cd faithfully for 81 years 'prior to its destruction in May, 1953. The old courthouse had become an eyesore,, and although it served well during those many years, it could no longer cope with the rigors of wear and tear. Years of planning went into tnt new building. County officers and residents talked of replacing the old courthouse for a long time, but the actual project got underway in 1947 when the board of supervisors called for. an election on the question of issuing, $500,000 worth of bonds ;q build a new two-story struc- jptember 9;-1947 was a big r 'day. Tho bond election was held a,nd the proposal carried. The dream of a new building wa's finally realized almost eight years later. Master of ceremonies a"t the dedication was Judge G. W. Stillman. Judge Harry E. Narey, Spirit Lake, was the featured speaker and Rev. Meinecke of Lakota gave the invocation. Judge Fred M. Hudson, Pocahontas, made the presentation and S. D. McDonald, late chairman of the board of supervisors, accepted for the. county. Benediction was given by Rsv. G. G. Hallauer of Algona. • Bands from six Kossuth County towns, Algona, Burt, Grant, La- kola, TitonKa and Whittemore opened the program with a concert at 1:30 and drill units, of the Amsr'can Lefio-i'and v*'w presented the colors. central Iowa. •••• And according to Cook, .there is no end to the thing! Early last SiUnmer they were called oh frotti Lake Okoboji for compregited air for skin divers tahks-^and the local firm promptly responded by delivering that Herri so that skin divers could undertake exploration of the lake bottom. Besides gases, Cook's Welder's Supply also handles a complete line of farm and . industrial welding equipment, -band saw blades and other items, and oxygen and equipment for home use. .-'••' •' , Employees of the firm are Arnold, Gefdes, sales, manager, Mrs Arnold Gerdes, book-keeper, Bob Bonriett, salesman, Harry Hargreaves, acetylene plant operator.- , ''-. •''„•' New Motel Has 3,687 'Guests' I The- Acreage 'Motel,-'.(Sompleted and opened here, in February, ;1954, was "host" to 3,687 guests 'from .the opening- date to "the close "pt 1955. The rieW motel, owned' and operated' by H. D. and Linda Clapsaddle, 1 is located on the east edge of Algona. The motel opened with twelve 'deluxe units, and by the opening of the pheasant season last fall, 'had completed find opened, six more units, making eighteen in ail. All units are deluxe, with 'carpeting, • telephones, soft, water showers, etc. H. D. Clapsaddle is a former co-owner of the Kossuth, Oil Co. .here, and Linda Clapsaddle serv- J ed as Mayor of Algona in 1955 ! tintil her resignation from that office in the fall. It SSI A large crowd attended dedication ceremoniei for the new courthouse, held Sunday, June S, on the courthouse lawn.'Judge-G.-W. Stillmah, Alsona, was master of ceremonies. Judge Harry E. Narey Spirit LSke! speaker at the event. Inspection tours of the building were conducted after a bVnfco^er .and the P dedication program. The $522,000 building was completed m essithan two years, following destruction of the 81-year old former courthouse in May, 1953, and followed eight years of planning. "_ Sargent Plant Here Serves 200 Now serving 200 dealers with feeds manufactured here, the Algona plant of Sargent & Co. is now equipped to turn out. fifty different .Sargent feeds, it has been announced by Dick Johan sen, plant manager. The Algona AlflAjjya (la.) Upper DesMoines-7 'feed plant, one of four Sargent Tuesday, February 7, 1956 feed manufacturing plants, now — ' Minneso n ta r K^ i ties for raw ingredients. A mod- 'kota, and Sargent feeds made ermzation of machinery has also here are distributed by truck'to been completed, these areas. Sargent's Algona plant is located at the CNW tracks and A new 65 x 85 foot addition State street. The company's home added here in recent years has offices and laboratories are in increased the plant's capacitor, Des Moines. due to .larger- warehousing facil- Cook's Welders ! Produces Two Million Ft. Gas Also Handles Compressed Air For Skin Divers ;. producing and. distrjbujUjg over two million cubic feet'of gas in 1955, Cook's Welder's Supply Co. of Algona reached a record mark of production, according to Richard J. Cook, owner of the firm. This production was aided, said Cook/by the recent completion of a modern new plant, which is located just north of the Milwaukee depot here. Cook's Welder's Supply Co.; the first .independent manufacturer of acetylene gas in Iowa, produces and distributes gases of all types and welding supplies to a large area in its own trucks. In addition to acetylene gases for welding, the firm handles such other items as hydrogen, helium, carbon dioxide, etc. They also distribute' oxygen' and medicinal gs'scs to many city, state and county hospitals in northern and REPORT OF PROGRESS We Wish To Say: Thank You for Your pmfehip! For it is this friendship - which we have tried to return r* thqt has resulted in patronage that has enabled us at Viking OH, Co to increase and improve our facHities for giving the best possible products and the best poss.ble service. We feel that this method of doing business has had a lotVdo With the ever.widening area that we serve, and with the increasing number of customers we have the privilege of handling. , , , . We are on the job at Viking Oil Co. to see that you get the qi«ftf«r your car ortruck servicing dollar, an« the same goes for our growma f ye | feus ness. That is he way we will keep going, and w« ( feel it is the kind of product, you from us. 'We value your friendship WHUWCQ. Gas -'oils- §rease« - lirei — Wheel Balancing ; ' " " $ulk Wag^n Full Delivery in City irid County ' • ' " . .- f - . f •__!_ - v_—" 'M,f»ag!r IOWA * MINNESOTA • WISCONSIN • ILLINOIS KANSAS •COLORADO •NEBRASKA • SOUTH DAKOTA • MISSOURI NORTH DAKOTA It is with a feeling of genuine interest and a spirit of community pride that Druggists' Mutual Insurance Company of Iowa takes this space to acknowledge the progress of the Algona community, and to express our faith that such progress will be a continuing thing in the future. Though our company now does business in the ten states listed above, our roofs go deep in this community, because it has been the center of our operations for many years. Our home offices, which were a few years ago increased by Hie construction of a large modern addition, have been located here. Our staff is composed of capable fplks who live among you, The very origin of our company, which 47 years ago was merely an "idea" in the head of pioneer druggist Al Falkenhainer, occurred on Kossuth county soil. Thus, though our insurance business has grown ten-fold over the years, we still take pride in our home community. As our company has grown with the years, we have increased our operations here ... in the home offices in Algona. We confidently expect that growth to continue, and in the future as in the. past, Druggists' Mutual expresses its pleasure to be a part of this fine community. The contribution of Druggists' Mutual to the general economy of this community is one that cannot be overlooked. Our local payroll - which is for the most part spent locally - amounts to approximately $60,000.00 per year. Our substantial reserves and reinsurance enable us to furnish non-assessable insurance to more than 6,000 druggists and doctors, in the ten state area we now serve. Over 16,000 separate claims have been paid by Druggists' Mutual over the years. And over $2,425,000-00 in dividends have been returned to our policyholders since our company was founded in October, 1909. 7909 DRUGGISTS' MUTUAL INSURANCi COMPANY OF IOWA .a 1 HQMf AIGONA, IOWA

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free