Galesburg Register-Mail from Galesburg, Illinois on July 13, 1973 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Galesburg Register-Mail from Galesburg, Illinois · Page 1

Galesburg, Illinois
Issue Date:
Friday, July 13, 1973
Page 1
Start Free Trial

.• ; S Hone Paper of 70 Communities Register-; 1 Partly Cloudy Tonight Low tipper 60'a Chance of Showers Saturday High 80's A Better Nempaper VOLUME LXXXII — 164 GALESBURG, ILLINOIS 6,1401 — FRIDAY, JULY 13, 1973 PRICE TEN CENTS Moore Says President Sought Watergate Facts Passengers Stranded Passengers on a derailed Amtrak train were given temporary shelter at the Civic Center, Chebanse, 111. Eight cars of a 12-ciar train bound for New Orleans from Chicago rolled off the tracks Thursday night. Story on Page 3. UNIFAX Restless Night for Nixon WASHINGTON (UPI) - Doctors said today President Nixon continued to suffer chest pains following a "restless night" at Bethesda Naval Hospital, where he was admitted Thursday night for viral pneumonia. Ronald L. Ziegler, , White House press secretary, said Nixon's temperature hovered between 101 and 102 degrees, but that he was carrying on the "essential work" of the presidency despite some pains and the temperature. Dr. Walter Tkach, White House physician, said however that Nixon's work schedule would be "certainly less than a quarter" of normal while he is in the - hospital. Nixon was admitted about 9:15 p.m. EDT Thursday after Tkach diagnosed the President's condition as viral pneumonia. Tkach said there were "no complications" with the illness, Nixon's-first serious physical setback since he took office. "We had difficulty in convincing him that he really was a sick man," Tkach said today. He added that Nixon got only four hours sleep after being admitted and he had to be given a "strong analgesic by injection." Ziegler told the same news briefing at* Bethesda that Nixon was examined by doctors twice in the early morning after a "restless night." He said the president was suffering from "chest discomforture," and had only orange juice and fruit for breakfast. Gen. Alexander M. Haig, Nixon's chief of staff, went to the hospital today to discuss some business matters with the President, Ziegler said. Mrs. Nixon and the President's daughter, Julie, were expected to visit during the,afternoon. Sen. Sam J. Ervin, chairman of the Senate Watergate Committee, said earlier in the day that he hoped to meet with Nixon some time next week on the Watergate hearings. Ziegler said Nixon still was in excellent spirits and Tkach predicted he would be back at his office in about a week. WASHINGTON (UP I) White House Special Counsel Richard A. Moor© testified today President Nixon sought repeatedly in March to get tihe facts about Watergate out in the open, and rejected a suggestion that the FBI check into the campaign histories of members of the Senate Watergate committee. Moore's testimony before the nationally televised Senate Watergate hearings continued to differ sharply in interpretation from that of ousted White House Counsel Jolin W. Dean IH. FBI Investigation Moore said that Dean once proposed using the FBI to investigate members of the Senate Watergate committee in hopes of uncovering information that could be used to show that the scandal was nothing new in politics. In a meeting with Nixon designed to plot moves "to get our side of the story out," Moore said that Dean told Nixon he had worked on Capitol Hill and knew that there were few political campaigns where "something questionable or illegal" was not done. "We were asked for ideas on where we could take the initiative, and in that meeting at one point, Mr. Dean said to the President 1 —'you know, one way for us to take the initiative' would be to get some responsible official to suggest that the members of the Watergate committee should submit to an FBI investigation of their past political campaigns." "I think there might be a good idea if someone responsible would invite or suggest that the committee that was about to investigate campaign practices voluntarily offer to submit each of its most recent five personal meetings with the Moore said he never suspect- President, in every single one ed a cover-up was in progress of those meetings, I think," until late February or early Where to Find It 2 SECTIONS 28 PAGES Abingdon 23 Hospital Notes 15 Amusement 6 Knoxville 23 Bushnell 11 Markets 21 Churches 8 Monmouth 14 Classified Ads ..24-25-26-27 Obituary 15 Comics-Radio 20 Sports 18-19 Editorial 4 TV • 9-10 Galva — 11 Women in the News __ 7 Committee Wants Nixon Papers Richard A. Moore senatorial campaigns to a full field investigation by the FBI," Moore quoted Dean as saying. Moore said that Nixon dismissed Dean's idea. Puzzled Look '"Hie President oamc up with a puzzled look," Moore ^id, and Nixon told Dean he did not understand what he meant. According to Moore, Dean told the President, "You know —people who live in 'glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Moore siaid Nixon shook his head negatively and did not encourage Dea nto continue discussing the idea. Dean has testified that he believes Nixon know as early as Sept. 15 of the attempt to cover-up top-level involvement in, Uie fugging of the Democrajt- ic headquarters at tihe Watergate three months previously. "In this period of March, in Moore testified, "he emphasized 'why don't we get our story out ourselves?'" " 'Forthcoming was the word he kept using, 'be forthcoming,' " Moore said. "That's one of the reasons I was convinced that the President had no blooming idea of what now turned out to be going on or he wouldn't be pressing to get it out," Moore said. Dean Meeting Moore's testimony came after Fred D. Thompson, the committee's minority counsel, asked him about meetings in March that he and Dean had with Nixon. Dean testified in June that he had five conversations with Nixon —on Sept. 15, Feb. 27, Feib. 28, March 13 and March 21 — in which they discussed the Watergate'cover-up. In his prepared statement Thursday, Moore said the three men met in Nixon's Oval Office March 20, and^ "it seemed crystal clear to me that he (the President) knew of nothing that was inconsistent with the previously stated conclusion that the White House was uninvolvcd in the Watergate affair, before or after the event." Major Developments Nixon said later that he learned of "major develop ments" March 21 that led him to launch new White House inquiries into the case. March this year, when Dean began telling him what had been going on. "Did you consider going to the President yourself to tell him?" asked Thompson. "I was considering it seriously," Moore replied. "But all I had was gossip; nothing evidentiary ... I felt it was coming to a head, but I had nothing but hearsay, gossip and rumor. But I was worried." Moore, 59, a friend of Nixon and former Attorney General John N. Mitchell and an associate of John W. Dean III while Dean worked in the White House, gave testimony which varied from Dean's interpretation and recollection of events. Unauthorized Venture Moore, whose appearance before the committee was urged by White House counsel Leonard Garment, said he looked upon the Watergate as "an unauthorized venture by people who enjoyed some $100 bills" and acted solely on their own. Until Dean —through "guarded comments" —hinted White House involvement, "I believed implicitly and totally in the President's statement of August that no one in the White House had involvement," Moore said. He said those hints from Dean came in March shortly before Dean, on his urging, went to see Nixon to tell him what he knew. WASHINGTON (UPI) - Sen Sam J. Ervin forecast today the Senate Watergate Committee would vote to subpoena White House documents relating to the scandal if his coming meeting with President Nixon failed to produce a compromise agreement. The President's refusal to grant the senators access to the papers, and subpoena action by Ervin's committee, would create a constitutional confrontation almost sure to require settlement by the Supreme Court. Ervin siaid during a television interview early today that he would meet with Nixon "tomorrow," but later explained that he misspoke. He said he hoped the meeting could be held next week. It possibly would be held at Bethesda Naval Hospital, where Nixon, wias admitted Thursday night for treatment of what his doctor diagnosed as viral pneumonia. The courts would have to decide whether Nixon was compelled to respond to a congressional subpoena for official documents. Ervin claims the sole legal precedent supports his view. His committee has not issued such a subpoena but said Thursday its "unanimous opinion" was that it wias entitled to have access to all documents bearing on its investigation. In a letter to Ervin Saturday, Nixon said he is compelled to refuse to make the papers available to protect the consti tutional independence of the presidency from dominance by Congress—an issue as old as the republic. Ervin met twice with his committee Thursday and sent Nixon a letter: "The committee feels that your position as stated in the letter measured against the committee's responsibility to ascertain the facts related to the matters set out in Senate Resoluion 60, present the very grave possibility of a fundamental constitutional confrontation between the Congress and the presidency. We wish to avoid that, if possible." Then he telephonied Nixon, suggesting a speedy meeting between the President and himself and Sen. Howard H. Baker Jr., R-Tenn., committee vice chairman. Nixon, it is understood, insisted that Ervin come alone. Timetable Could Be Altered Eirvin said the meeting would occur when Nixon "clears some business from his desk" —he hoped next week. This timetable could be altered by Nixon's illness. Deputy presidential press secretary Gerald L. Warren said Nixon would not alter his refusal to make the papers available or to appear before the committee. He said Nixon agreed to the meeting "as a courtesy." Asked if Ervin viewed the meeting as only a "courtesy call," committee counsel Samuel Dash said, "I don't think that was what Sen. Ervin's impression was." No one on the committee knows precisely what papers are in dispute. The committee had addressed a broad request for all documents—memos, briefing papers, diaries, logs, letters or notes—which might bear on the Watergate affair, political "dirty tricks" or illegal actions sanctioned by the White House. Bombers Leave Southeast Asia WASHINGTON (UPI) - The United States will start quietly pulling its big B52 bombers out of Southeast Asia this weekend, preparing to end the last traces of American military involvement in the long Indochina war. Administration sources said Thursday the slow withdrawal may never be announced publicly for fear of upsetting delicate negotiations seeking to establish a cease-fire in Cambodia before the Aug. 15 deadline for ending U.S. in­ volvement in the war there. Sources said, however, that the pullout would have no impact on the rate of B52 bombing raids in. Cambodia before Aug. . 15. The eight- engine bombers have been flying about 40 strikes a day since late May. Half of Fleet The United States has about 200 B52s—half the entire fleet- assigned to the war zone. Those actively engaged in bombing Cambodia are based in Thai­ land, and the rest are on Guam. About a dozen of the planes based on Guam will be the first to come home, flying back to their bases in the United States during the first few days of next week, sources said. U.S. military spokesmen in Bangkok said there was no present plan for pulling out the contingent of B52s in Thailand. The spokesmen said current plans call for the full complement of bombers at U Tapao Air Base, south of Bangkok, to remain at least until Aug. 15. Washington officials said the Guam aircraft are not being used on missions. "Those planes (on Guam) are just sitting out there not doing a thing, except for flying training and practice missions," one official said. "They might as well come home." Sources said withdrawal schedules beyond the first dozen planes are not firm. But they said by Aug. 15 the total number of B52s in Southeast Asia could be cut in half. The withdrawal of the B52s will not be accompanied by any reductions in the fleet of some 400 U.S. tactical fighter-bombers also involved in the war, sources said. These fighter- bombers are flying more than 200 raids a day in Cambodia. The B52s have been by far the most controversial planes involved in the war because of their ability to drop vast loads of bombs. Lucky Day Joe, a year old black tomcat, is a good However, it may be only a temporary remis- mouser according to his owner, John Wilbur, sion of the cat's natural instincts and the Salinas, Calif, Today just must be a lucky mouse had better not be caught catnapping, day for the mouse perched on Joe's head. Nixon's White-Haired Advisor's Memory Fails WASHINGTON (UPI) Grandfatherly Richard A. Moore, who says he functions "as a source of white-haired advice" around the White House, gave an eyewitness contradiction of the case John W. Dean III had so earnestly built against President Nixon. Then his memory mostly flailed him. John N. Mitchell insisted anew that in the long summer of 1972 President Nixon had never asked him about Watergate. And he blamed on Martha those 14 telephone calls between his New York apartment and the White House on March 31, the day James W. McCord wrote liis letter and the Watergate cover-up started unraveling. The Select Committee on Presidential Campaign Activities resolved unanimously to send its chairman to have a showdown with the President. But after Nixon agreed to the meeting, his press secretary said it would be a mere courtesy call. Moore Sent by White House In a day of anti-climaxes, Moore, 59, a long-standing friend of Nixon and Mitchell, was the new witness. He was sent by the White House. Last month, in tihe course of Dean's five-day attack on Nixon, the White House telephoned the committee staff with a suggestion: "Out of fairness," Moore should be called to testify. He is a special counsel to the President. "I serve primarily as an extra hand—as a source of white-ihaired advice and experience—whenever the President or the younger men with line responsibility seek my help," he said. As Moore recalled events in a crisp 20-page statement, Dean had confessed to him last March 20 that he had never told Nixon what he knew about lugh-levei involvement in the Watergate cover-up. "Then the President isn't being served," Moore said he lectured his young friend and sent him marching toward the Oval Office. The next day Dean reported back that he had "let it ail out," Moore recalled. 'Seemed Crystal Clear' Consequently, he said, "it seemed crystal clear to me that he (Nixon) knew of nothing that was inconsistent with the previously stated conclusion that the White House was uninvolved in the Watergate affair, before or after the event." Undier cross-examination, Moore's memory faltered. "I can't give you that date...," he'd say. "I don't's possible..." Mitchell, winding up three days totalling 15 hours in the witness stand, was asked about an FBI report which showed that on July 22—a month' after lie wias briefed on Watergate by his associates—he had told FBr agents he knew only what he'd read in the newspapers. Mitchell: "At that point in time, we weren't volunteering any information. It was the design of those involved . . ." Mitchell said his wife must have made those 14 calls to the White House on March 31, the week following the time McCord's letter to Judge John J. Sirica became known. McCord, one of those convicted in the break-in, told Sirica he wanted to tell about high-level involvement. It was the event which led to the Senate investigation. Committee Meets Twice The Senate committee met twice to discuss Nixon's refusal to make available White House documents — logs, diaries, memos, letters, records or other documents—relating to Watergate or other illegal affairs. Nixon told Ervin Saturday in a letter that he had to conceal the papers to protect the independence of the presidency: from incursions by Congress. Ervin says the committee needs the papers to carry out the congressional function of seeking the truth so it can legislate wisely. Ervin told Nixon in a letter he wanted to prevent "a fundamental, constitutional confrontation between the Congress and the presidency." But Gerald Warren, White House spokesman, said the President agreed to the visit as a "courtesy" and "the President's position is unchanged and it will not be changed."

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free