The Idaho Statesman from Boise, Idaho on May 29, 1921 · 18
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Idaho Statesman from Boise, Idaho · 18

Publication:
Location:
Boise, Idaho
Issue Date:
Sunday, May 29, 1921
Page:
18
Start Free Trial
Cancel

THE IDAHO STATESMAN SU ND AY -MORNING MAY 2 9 1921 2 St John’s Cathedral St and : St -Teresa’s Academy Momintents to Devotion and Zeal of Catholics of Idaho Three Institutions Show Growth and Prosperity of Church at State Capital - Rare art displayed in interior decorations and fittings of magnificent place of worship $150000' wing to St Teresa’s and $100000 Nurses’ Home at hospital ready for dedication Members of denomination and religious organization contribute to completion of edifice started by Bishop Glorieux beautiful memorial altars and stained glass windows striking features The Catholic cathedral of St John the Evangelist Boise which will be dedicated on Memorial day Is a dis tinct addition to the architecture of the intermountain country and the northwest In 1905 when the late lit Rev Alphonse J Glorieux pioneer bishop of the diocese of Boise decided to build a cathedral he asked a number of architects to submit designs The design for a Romanesque cathedral submitted by Tourtellotte & Ilummel Boise architects was selected Immediately after the award was made the architects commenced work on the plans and shortly after their completion excavation for the basement and foundation was begun The cornerstone was laid In the spring of 1906 ' Wliy Construction lagged Due to shortage of funds and the policy of the -late Bishop Glorieux to build only as the money was available to pay for the work the construction proceeded (Slowly In 1912 six years after the corner stone was laid the roof of the cathedral was completed and thereafter the basement of the cathedral was used for divine worship Further progress in the completion of the upper church or- cathedral auditorium proper was not made until 1918 when following the appointment of the present bishop the Rt Rev Daniel M Gorman ther Rev' Remi S Xeyzer then rector of St John’s inaugurated a campaign to raise a fund for completing the cathedral This campaign was successful and as the United States was then engaged In the great World war it was decided to Invest the money that was raised in liberty bonds and War Savings certificates That wall done and a sum of more than $20000 ’was invested in securities of the government IjVork Hushed to Finish Early in 1919 Bishop Gorman decided that the time was ripe for beginning the work of completing the cathedral auditorium and Instructions were given' to the architects to hasten the completion with all possible dispatch Contracts were let for the ornamental plastering tho interior marble work the altars the pulpit communion rail and other Interior furnishings Interior decoration stained glass windows1 furnishings electric lighting fixtures and tho organ All contracts were let on tho basis that tho cathedral could bo dedicated on Easter Sunday 1920 but on account of unsettled conditions due to the World war and strikes In manufacturing plants especially In the marble quarries and workshops in Italy these contracts were not completed until Easter 1921 when the cathedral auditorium was used for the first time although the formal dedication was not to take place until later in the year Architecture and Construction v The cathedral is of Romanesque design which style was tho dominant type of ecclesiastical architecture during tho transition period between the classical style of Rome and the Gothic c4yle of the twelfth century and later ’ periods All of the exterior walls are of light gray Boise sandstone and the roof is of black Pennsylvania slate The principal facade and the main entrance are on Eighth street the approach to the entrance being-'iip a broad flight of concrete stairs between stone buttresses The entrance is composed of three deeply recessed arched doorways with massive oak doors At the sides and between the doorways are heavy stone piers with moulded bases and moulded and carved capitals These arched doorways are surmounted by triple stone gables a characteristic of many- Romanesque church entrances Towers and Steeples to Be Built Flanking the main' entrance on either side are the cathedral towers penetrated by deeply recessed arched windows At the present time in their Incomplete state these towers are carried to a height of only 65 feet above the level of the street but when completed the towers will be 120 feet htgh surmounted by steeples 80 feet in height making a total distance of 200 feet from the ground to the top of the gilded crosses on the steeples Rose Window Gift of Curran Family Over the main entrance doorway there is a beautiful rose window with stone tracery the stained glass in the window depicting Saint Cecelia patron saint of music surrounded by the angelic choir The window is -the gift of Martin Curran and his family Above the rose window is a stone gable terminating the roof of the nave On the apex of this gable there is a- large stone statue of St John the Evangelist the patron saint of tho cathedral Hays Street Facade Is Stately The Hays street or south facade bus four ATtihad windows in the nave A secondary entrance to the building is located in this facade through 'the side of the south transept - This en trance is reached : by means of concrete stairs The north facade is identical with the ' south except that there Is no en trance to ''the building in the north transept The transepts are 48 feet irL width and project 15 feet beyond the nave These transepts have large windows in the end walls Divided by etone tracery above these windows there is a small rose window in each transept On the roof over the crossing of the nave and the transepts there Is a slender lantern pierced by semicircular arches and on this lantern there is a steeple covered with slate and surmounted by a bronze cross The semi-circular apse at the rear of the church rises out of the square base forming the sanctuary The walls of: this apse are penetrated by seven windows in the clear-story and - over all there is a conical slate roof terminating against the rear gable of the nave The entrance to the sacristy Is on this rear facade with a stone stairway as a means of Ingress and egress Cathedral Is Cruciform a - V Comprehensive view of - sanctuary altars and one main tranccpt of St John's Cathedral as the Interior was nearing completion —Photo by Johnson & Sons ST TERESA’S ACADEMY MAKES DISTINCT PROGRESS e i -- - - i t v The building is cruciform in V plan and 170 feet Jong from front wall to the rear of the apse ' : The' entrance stairs and platforms extend $0 feet beyond the front of thp building to the sidewalk The wid£h of the building Is 95 feet througn the transepts and 65 feet across the nave The basement "of the cathedral which has been used as a church auditorium since 1912 will be remodeled to provide a small winter chapel at the sanctuary end of the room and a spacious meeting room for parish numbers of one hundred thousand By MART DALY President SLTereSsa's' Alumnae Association The dedication of the east wing of StyTeres&’s academy on Memorial day mrlu another mile post in the development of one of the important insti utions for the education of girls and young women In Idaho and the Intermountain country Like the scriptural mustard seed under the fostering care of the Sisters of the Holy Cross St Teresa’s academy has grown from a small frame dwelling house with accommodations or a few pupils to an Institution which now numbers In its enrolled student body 280 pupils 'and which n September) 1921 will open its doors to about 400 pupils The new east wing which has been constructed at a total cost In round societies back of the transept 4 Interior of Cathedral Impressive Entering the ‘“'main floor of the cathedral from the Eighth street or main entrance one comes Into a large vestibule with marble floor- and vaulted celling From this vestibule one passes through one 6f three doors into tlfe nave' On the north side of the vestibule -below the north tower is the baptistry a room 16 feet square with a marble floor and a groined celling The baptistry is lighted by two stained glass windows - 'V Vaulted Nave Iligh Xo Pillar Support The nave which is 60 feet wide Inside and 110 feet long from the vestibule wall fo the sanctuary arch is spanned by a barrel vault 5 A feet in height without interior supports' This vaulted ceiling Is divided into panels The ceilings qf the transepts are likewise arched with barrel vaults Intersecting the vaulting of the -nave The crossing of the nave and transepts is marked by a rose panel of ornamented and carved plaster work In -base relief from which Is suspended by chains a mammoth beautifully designed bronze and glass Chandelier the diameter of which is seven feet ' Plaster Work Highly Artistic The aisles of the“nave'and sanctuary are floored with pink Tennessee: marble and a marble base' 12 inches high on all walls Above this marble base is ' a wainscoting of plaster with a heavy dado of ornamental plaster forming the sill of the nave and transept windows On a level with the spring line of tht nave and transept window arches on the piers between windows and on the walls of the sanctuary is a moulded and carved plaster cornice of Romanesque design the' frieze being - a series of small arche& The plaster work was done by Joseph Conradl sculptor- of Salt Lake Sanctuary and Its Accessories Separating the sanctuary from the nave Is the communion rail supported on round balusters of colored marble with moulded caps and -bases Opposite the main aisle of the cathedral the sanctuary is entered through a pair of exquisitely wrought ornamental bronze gates -Hie pedestals of the balustrade are paneled with gold mosaic Inlay outlining the panels To the rlghti of the communion rail against the pier of the north transept is a marble pulpit The face of the pulpit is paneled two of the panels being Inlaid with colored marble The third panel Is Inlaid witbT a wonderful picture made of Venetian mosaic On the left the communion rail terminates at a shrine in honor of Saint Anthony of Padua composed of a marble pedestal and a statue of Saint Anthony surmounting It both being executed of Carrara marble Thw entire floor and steps of the sanctuary and the steps and platform of the high and side Altars as well as the steps and platform of the bishop’s throne are of highly polished light and dark yellow Sienna marble with gold and black marble borders High Altar Fine Example of Art The Jilgh altar Is a magnificent example of ecclesiastical art is thej dollars provides space for the follow Ing academy needs: The basement which has a high ceiling and Is lighted partly by daylight and partly by artificial illumination will be used as a dining hall and will accommodate 300 persons at table Good Assembly Hall The main floor contains an assembly hall which will comfortably seat 300 persons When not In use for class assemblies It will be used for recitation purposes By dividing the assembly hall two recitation rooms are made possible The main floor also contains the chemical and -physical laboratory which is a large room facing Jefferson street a junior-senior class recitation room and a large cloakroom' On the second floor there afe to be found a large classroom for the minim classes consisting of first and second grade pupils also a classroom - for fifth sixth seventh and eighth grade pupils Here - also is a freshman-sophomore recitation room the sister superior’s office prettily decorated in green and gold and the rooni devoted to teaching shorthand typewriting and other commercial subjects! The commercial classxtr&m furniture has been provided by the' generous gift of Mrs Elizabeth Toole of Payette Idaho - - : ' t I Many Beautiful Rooms TUe third floor of the new wing contains 10 private rooms for resident pupils many of which are furnished with two beds and a dormitory with sufficient space for 30 beds In the private rooms there are roomy clothes closets ! The most beautiful room on tlie third floor is that furnished by the St Teresa’s alumnae all df the furniture being of mahogany The building is equipped 'throughout with hardwood floors and easily V New Wing That Cost $100000 Now Ready vfor Dedication Enlarges Accommodations of This Catholic School to a Total of 400 Girls and Young Women History of Institution accessible from every floor is a modern fire escape A fine ventilation system provides for the exit of impure air and the entry of fresh air The fire hazard of the academy will be practically nil when the institution commences its school year of 1921-1922 as the new central heating plant situated at the corner of Fourth and State streets will provide heat for St Teresa’s academy St Alphonsus hospital and St Alphonsus hospital nurses’ home With the putting into use of the new heating plant- there will be ho heating plants situated in the academy hospital or nurses’ home -Generous provision has been made for lavatSries and bathrooms on the various floors The ceilings of all rooms are especially high affording in an unusuaY way for a proper amount of fresh alri The students at the academy will have swimming pool Oid gymnasium privileges - at the new - nurses’ home which Is situated at the corner of Fourth and Washington streets History of Institution At the earnest solicitation of the late - beloved : Bishop A J Glorieux pioneer shepherd of the diocese of Boise himself an educator and principal of a school for boys before his consecration as bishop of Boise five Sisters f the Holy Cross Sister M Domipica superior - and Sisters M Digna Edith Marcus and Columbina left the mother' house i qf the Sisters of the Holy Cross situated at St Mary’s college- Notre Dame Ind August 21 1889 to open the first Catholic school In Boise The sisters arrived in Boise on the morning' of August 24 1889 and received a warm welcome from the late Mrs James H Hawley wife of Idaho's grand old man former Governor Hawley At the Hawley home the sisters spent several days: ‘ Arrival of Sisters Bishop "Glorieux was absent from the city when the sisters came but the Rev Father Van der Heyden and M E McCue an Idaho pioneer endeavored to find a house for the use of the sisters Then as now houses were scarce arid a careful search disclosed the fact r that there were but two vacant houses in 1 Boise One of these' was rented but it was bo small and undesirable that the sisters remained in It only a short time later occupying the Shoup home oil Jefferson street' between Twelfth and Thirteenth streets -where the first St Teresa’s academy was established The records of the institution do not disclose who was the first resident student but the entire "number enrolled in the school probably did not reach a half dozen St 'Patrick’s hall attached to the old St John’s cathedral was fitted up for school purposes and on September 9 1889 opened its doors to 26 pupils Including boys and girls Two' teachers Sister Dominica and Sister Digna were quite sufficient in those early days while Sister Edith the gentle little music teacher commenced her work with a few guitar pupils The purchase of a piano on which to give instruction was out of the question Later a piano was sent from the mother house as a gift to the struggling academy " t Present Site Is Bought 1 March 28 1890 the block of ground on whicK St Teresa’s academy now stands was purchased from E Ball for the sum of $6500-1500 of which was contributed by the generous man from whom the property was purchased On the ground there were several small frame buildings all of which were soon in use for the new academy which was hurriedly - furnished and opened for use April 1 1890 The first academy building still stands on the grounds at the southwest corner of Fourth and State streets It is now used as a music hall and art studio It was large qnough at the opening of the school to furnish livings apartments for the boarding department of the academy which grew rapidly and to provide schoolrooms and an art studio Tho music ' department showed steady growth and a small house on the grounds was soon fitted up with pianos a harp a violin and other stringed instruments instruction- in which was iven at the academy Hard Battle Is Fought In its first year the growth of the school was so' rapid that it was soon evident to Bishop Glorieuzf that a new and larger academy building should be erected There were no funds Catholics were few in number and for the most part not' blessed with worldly wealth The sisters were Btill in debt for the purchase of the real estate funds for which had been obtained by borrowing money But Sister Dominica was a woman of strong practical faith and difficulties merely served to make her hew unswervingly to' the path which she had marked out for the Sisters of the Holy Cross in their work in the Gem state ' Dedicating the work' to the Virgin Mother of God the patroness of young women and trusting for the collection of the needed funds to the great patron of workingmen and patron of the ' universal church St Joseph Sister Dominica let the contract 'for the west wing of the academy the first section to be erected on the- feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin August 15 1891 The wing was ready for ocfcupancy on June 1 1892 built at a cost of $10-300 In observing : the II C L of them days it is interesting to note that the east wing just Completed and of course of much finer design and materials cost 10 times as much as the west wing Makes Rapid Growth With the greater facilities afforded by the west wing the growth of the academy was marked From six boarders the number grew to 45 and the enrollment of day pupils increased from 26 to 100 Further development was necessitated and on May 1 1902 ground was broken for the - centra structure of the academy which was ready for the opening of classes In September 1904 at a cost of $35000 For the year 1920-1921 the enroll ment at the academy has been 90 boarders and 180 day pupils making Imperative the construction of the east wing although building costs seemed prohibitive With the additional facilities afforded by the east Wing St Teresa’s academy will be able to provide education to all who seek admls sion and as In the past ' will send forth into the world young women equipped to cope with the problems of home business or profession with a high degree of efficiency ? The faculty of St Teresa’s academy now numbers 16 instructors Including thorn teaching general ' branches as well as music and art ' f AlummuS Association Born 6tJ Teresa’s Alumnae association organized February 22 1907 now numbers 120 members Filling positions of trust and dignity : in Idaho and other parts of the United States or nobly presiding over' the 'destinies of Christian homes the graduates of St TeresaV academy are everywhere an honor to their alma mater who points to them with pride as she says “These are St Teresa’s contribution to the ranks of noble womanhood!” And as our alma mater glories in their achievements so too the daughters of St -Teresa’s academy watch with worthy exaltation the splidid growth of the institution and the ever increasing numbers s that flock -to 'her for knowledge and what is greater still the idealizing of-soul and formation of character which make for exalted Christian womanhood"! Romanesque style' the marble richly carved in Romanesque ornamentation The platform of the altar is reached by five steps of marble from the sanctuary floor which is 'five steps above the floor of the : nave - thus placing the altar in a dominating position above the cathedral floor proper The beautifully formed tabernacle has & gold plated bronze door with a gold cross In low relief The exposition niche above the tabernacle is covered by a domed canopy ef marble supported on four colored marble columns with carved white marble capitals and bases Behind this exposition niche rises the r'eredos screen of marble surmounted by a marquise of bronze metal beautifully wrought and decorated On the face of this reredos screen below the marquise is an inlaid cross of gold mosaic Flanking the high altar are two large colored marble columns - with carved Romanesque base and capitals supporting beautifully veined marble urns The altar In honor of the blessed Virgin - Mary and the altar In honor of St Joseph are placed at the sides of the sanctuary These altars are of marble beautifully carved The -bishop's- throne on this south side of the sanctuary and the priests’ bench on the north side of the sanctu ary are of carved oak decorated to harmonize with the decorative scheme of the cathedra! interior The ceillrig of the sanctuary is a domed vault intersected by the clearstory windows of the apse with heavy paneled ribs terminating in a moulded and carved plaster pendant The beautiful wrought bronze sanctuary lamp which was especially designed for this cathedral Is suspended from this pendant The sanctuary lamp is the gift of the Catholic Women’s league of the cathedral parish" i Choir Gallery and Organ The choir gallery Is situated at the rear of the nave over the vestibule The front of the gallery is supported on two square paneled wood columns with ornamental plaster capitals and bases - these columns carrying the cornice 'over ' which is a balustrade forming the choir rail In the choir gallery is ' located the great organ placed behind a beautiful paneled oak screen stained silver gray All : mouldings carvings and ornaments of the ornamental plaster work of the “interior have been carefully designed and detailed in the best spirit of the Romanesque style by Joseph Conradl " j Beautiful Interior Decoration The interior decoration is a' har- monlcAis blending of color well thought out and beautifully executed The work was designed and its execution supervised by H H Claussen a decorator of Salt Lake The side walls are painted a 'warm gray and the ceiling panels are ivory The ceiling panels have fresco borders in colors a design of : conventional grapevine With leaves and clusters being used Tho jambs of all the windows are decorated with- a fresco design of conventional Romanesque ornamentation Around the windows are fresco designs in gold ’and colors The lower panels In the sanctuary are decorated in painted mosaic of Byzantine design in gold blue and red The most exquisite and carefully worked out coloring is that of the domed sanctuary celling with its lavishly applied fresco ' ornamentation in the panels of gold with bright color inserts and the -beautifully decorated ribs and-pendant' The rose panel In the ceiling at the crossing of the transepts and nave is laid out In gold and colors The transept walls over the large windows and at the sides of the large windows and above the ' cornice have applied tapestry designs of green buff and tpurple The furnishings of the cathedral are worthy of especial mention The pews are of oak the ends of the pews being paneled1 and carved The pews are fin ished in silver gray stain waxed The panels and ornaments of the pew ends are decorated with gold and colors The confessionals of which there are four one in each transept and two at the rear of the church under the choir gallery are also of carved and paneled oak stained in silver gray with the door panels in colors and ornaments in colors and gold Many Artistic Details The stations of the cross are oil paintings beautiful works of art with frames finished in bronze The stations are placed on the piers between the windows of the nave and transepts They are a generous gift from Mrs Mary Green widow of General John Green pioneer commanding officer at Fort Boise - ' The altar furnishings such os the crosses and candlesticks were ' especially designed to harmonize with the altars and are of solid bronze gold plated The lighting fixtures' are of the semlndlrect type the principal lighting coming from the colored glass bowls in tbe center of the fixture augmented by qlusters of candle lamps In the form of torches supported on a metal ring around the cen- tral glass bowl The lighting of the sanctuary is accomplished by means of X-ray reflectors placed behind the sanctuary arch flooding the entire sanctuary Tho celling panels have been lined with acoustlo felt and membrane for the purpose of perfecting the acoustic properties of the cathedral t Gifts From Many friends Beginning at the baptiptry and continuing through the nave transepts sanctuary and choir gallery a visitor marvels at the beauty and color and accuracy of detail to be observed In the stained glass windows In the baptistry there are two windows The north window depicts the baptizing of Christ In the River Jordan by fit John the Baptist Funds for it were provided by a friend who prefers that tho name of the donor be unannounced The other baptistry window shows a guardian angel protecting two beautiful children from danger The cathedral is Indebted to the Nolan family of Iowa for this window which Is a memorial to the late Father Nolan Upon entering the main auditorium the first window to be observed depicts Christ blessing little children Very appropriately this window was provided by children of St John’s cathedral parish Opposite the children's gift under the choir gallery is a window donated by D Murphy of Waukon Iowa It is a picture of Christ and the rich young ruler On the north side of the nave will be found a group of windows provided by Dr and Mrs L P McCalla the II R Xeitzel family and the P H Quirk family of BClse On the south side of the nave is a group of windows donated by Thomas Ran&han Mrs Susan O'Connor and William j and Christopher T Coughlin all residents of Boise The large window in the north transept is the gift of Lewis C Mer-rell and his wife Margaretta Delphlne Merrell of Boise The other windows in the transept are the St Alphonsus window donated by the Sisters of tho Holy Cross in memory of the late Rt Rev Alphonse J! Glorieux and tho St Rita window the gift of Mr and Mrs William Sidenfaden The large window in the south transept was purchased with funds derived from the proceeds of amateur plays given under tho auspices of Boise council No 899 Knights of Columbus Of the other windows in the south transept one was provided through the generosity of Mrs John Gray and family of Boise Tlxeother was given by P Donohue in memory of the late Bishop Scanlan of Salt Lake Adjacent to the altar of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the couth wall there is an exquisite madonna window the gift of Mrs Elizabeth Toole of Payette On the wall opposite the madonna window there is a beautiful window of -St Joseph and the lily donated by Anton Goreczky of Boise Sanctuary Windows Notable- One of the most remarkable groups of windows to be found in the edifice Is the group of six windows In the sanctuary The two central windows depict the feacred Heart of Jesus and' the Sacred Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary The other four windows depict the four gospel writers St Matthew St Mark St Luke and St John These six Windows were donated by Mrs Dyer Welser Thomas Hays Iowa Dr T C Gorman Iowa Leo Spangler James Kirby and Mrs Edward Brennan Boise “ The stained glass windows In the cathedral were designed and executed by John J Klnsella & Co of Chicago Some art glass work was done by the Intermountain Glass company of Boise ’ Other Appropriate Gifts The bishop's throne Is the gift of St Rita’s society the young women's organization of the parish The osteri-sorlurn was 'presented by the Knights of Columbus of Idaho The votive candelabrum for ' the shrine of St Anthony of Padua is a gift from Grover Gorman The candlesticks for the altar of the Blessed Virgin Mary were presented by St Teresa’s alumnae and Leo Spangler The benediction candelabra is the gift of Mr and Mrs Eugene Reilly ' The holy water fonts ' at the doorways were donated by Mr and Mrs Adolph Schrelber and the votive candelabrum for the shrine of the Sacred Heart was given by a friend who requested that the donor's name be not announced Candlesticks and torches were also donated by St John's Altar society y Best 31arble From Italy The high -altar the two side altars the communion rail the pulpit the baptismal font the statuary and the sanctuary floor were executed from designs made and submitted by the Church Art Work company of Mount Vernon N Y and Pletrasanta Italy of which Joseph H Dlmond is presi- dent These designs were submitted to and approved by Totirtollotto &' Hummel the cathedral architects before the marble work wasT started Mr Dlmond visited Boise and submitted the drawings in May -19 19 and after the details were oonipleted the drawings were forwarded to Italy and the work was executed under the personal supervision of Arnaldo Pardlnl a sculptor of recognized merit The superintendent in charge of setting the marble Enrico ToriegattI arrived in Boise In June 1920 and the work of setting the marble proceeded from that time on until its completion in April 1921 The floor of the cathedral aisles Is tiled with light gray Knoxville tile from the quarries at Knoxville Tenn and the base around the entire cathedral is of the feame marble The sanctuary floor is tileg with ' light and dark yellow Sienna tile from the celebrated Old Convent quarries The border is of Portor or black and told marble which comes from an sland In the harbor of Spezla on tho northwest coast of Italy Memorial to John M Regan The high altar is the gift of Mrs Timothy Regan and William Valentino Regan in memory of a son and brother the late Lieut John Morgan Regan whoso death on a battlefield of France August 3 1918 brought sorrow not only to his immediate family but to (Continued on Page Three)

Clipped articles people have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 22,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free