The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune from Chillicothe, Missouri on July 23, 1980 · Page 4
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune from Chillicothe, Missouri · Page 4

Chillicothe, Missouri
Issue Date:
Wednesday, July 23, 1980
Page 4
Start Free Trial

PAGE 4-CHILLICOTHE, MISSOURI-64M1 reflections CHILLICOTHE CONSTITUTION-TRIBUNE, WEDNESDAY, JULY 23, 1»SO by bill plummer Longtime Chillicothe Schoolteacher Roberta Perrine called to add a California measure to Monday's report of the Rains that Came Twice following the announcements that St. Columban's church in Chillicothe was scheduling masses to pray for rain and a break in the drought. Much-needed rain fell in late June just after an announcement from the pulpit that the congregation would meet the following night for prayers for rain. Then the same thing happened again last Sunday. And, on both occasions, we had reported, the grateful congregation did go ahead and gather at the church on the appointed night and give prayers of thanks for the rains. Coincidentally, Miss Perrine heard on Monday of this week from her cousin, Jean Carter Morgan, who was born and reared in Chillicothe and who now lives in San Francisco. Mrs. Morgan related a Missouri rain incident from the West Coast. Miss Perrine said her cousin is an elder in St. John's Presbyterian Church in San Francisco and at a point in the morning worship service this last Sunday the min ! ster asked if anyone wanted the congregation to pray for anyone or anything. The pastor, it may be interjected here, is originally from St. Louis and several in the Presbyterian congregation have relatives in Missouri and requested prayer for Missouri friends and relief from Missouri's heat and drought. They did, indeed, pray for Missouri last Sunday morning in San Francisco and, as we all know, we had around an inch of rain that night, along with a cooling break in the 100-degree heat. "We received the benefits from that," said Miss Perrine of the Sunday morning C a l i f o r n i a p r a y e r s for Missouri. And from the benefits received, she concluded, it looks as if Presbyterians and Catholics are on the same team. on the street by chuck haney The two strongest topics of conversation right now are the cooler weather and preliminary census figures announced yesterday for the city of Chillicothe and Livingston County. The good news topic first. How long has been since you walked from your house to get into your vehicle in the morning and found it covered with a light dew? They (the weather folks) say the cooler weather is ,not going to stay around that long, so e had better take advantage of it. At any rate, we'll all gladly take temperatures in the upper 80's when compared to 100-degree plus readings. As to the bad news, no one is willing to believe that Chillicothe has lost population in the last 10 years. The wave of concern over the population figure seems to be gaining with each conversation. Personally, I will never be able to fully absorb or believe the figures announced by the Census Bureau, nor will anyone else in his right mind. I cannot and will not accept that the city of Chillicothe's population is only slightly over 8,000 persons. A C-T editorial to appear later this week will express this newspaper's feelings on the census figures. guard through our nation's capitol. It wasn't that she had done anything wrong. The truth of the matter was that the woman was flat lost. First, she did not realize that she had to receive a pass from her senator to observe the Senate in session. A trip back to the senator's office gained the pass without any problem. But then it was back to the capitol and trying again to find out just where to go and the proper directions. Same story as the first time. ..lost. Never fear, a security guard led our Livingston County woman to her desired destination. The woman desires that her name remain undisclosed. In fact, I am sure she is even unaware that anyone back in Livingston County had heard about the lost lady in the capitol. There she was, a woman from Livingston County escorted by a security country talk The Chillicothe Chamber of Commerce and members of the local retail merchants committee are sponsoring a Sidewalk Sale Thursday and Friday. There are many real sale values available during the popular 2-day event and we hope you'll get downtown and to the shopping centers and take advantage of the bargains. Many of the merchants ran adver- tisments in a chamber supplement appearing in Tuesday's C-T and in Wednesday's C-T Shopper and others had separate ads in print... study them and shop the specials. by harvema woodling By IIAKVERNA WOODLING Hi from Twin Oaks--a.a.s.v.--after a short vacation. ON A MONDAY MORNING thf red pickup with Dad, Terri, and Mom aboard headed toward South Missouri once more. This time our destination was the Bunker Hill Ranch Resort on the Jacks Fork River near Mountain View. Our reservations were for Tuesday afternoon so we did not try for a very early start. We stopped for lunch at Moberly, then took the familiar road through Columbia, Jefferson City, Westphalia and Freeburg. By the time we reached Freeburg, we were ready to stop, stretch, and enjoy the ice cream bar at "Mr. Jack's." We by-passed the Vienna and Vichy forest towers--it was too hot to leave air conditioning to climb them--and decided, since we were on vacation with no strict time schedule, to stop at our favorite "Nodaway" motel at Rolla for the evening. This we did and rested, read, T.V.ed, and of course went out for a good dinner. We left early the next morning while it was still cool, and enjoyed discovering a good restaurant at Licking where Leon and Terri were each served four biscuits for breakfast. We enjoyed watching the scenery but it was hot and dry all the way with brown pastures and shrinking ponds. At Summersville we shopped in a nice clothing store. The owner told us that everyone was worried about pasture and forest fires which had been occurring too frequently. He had helped fight one the day before in "over 100-" temperatures. That fire, he said, was burning where they could not get to it with four-wheel-drive vehicles so it was difficult to get their equipment there, but they finally put the flames out. We left highway 17 at its junction with Route O and by 1:30 we came to the end of the long shady entrance drive to Bunker Hill and had our first sight of the resort on the bank of the Jacks Fork. Jack and Betty Clark are the pleasant, hospitable managers of Bunker Hill. We were welcomed and told that we might explore, or enjoy the air-conditioned recreation hall or lounge and library until our cottage was ready. Bunker Hill originally was owned and operated by E. T. Behrens. He opened it in 1929. In 1*47 he willed it to the M.S.T. A., the Missouri State Teachers Association. Now it is operated almost at cost by the M.S.T.A. Recreational Committee for the benefit of M.S.T.A. members and their guests. Any profits are used to develop and improve the resort. Bunker Hill was beautifully planned. The cabins or cottages are brown with white trim and surrounded by tall shady trees. We loved ours with its interior paneled in pine and its big fireplace. Most of one wall was made of windows and outside this wall was a screened-in deck stretching the width of the cabin and was equipped with two tables and several chairs. Our cabin was just above the big air-conditioned dining-hall and we all enjoyed sitting on the deck, watching people gather below, and waiting for the big dinner bell to signal meal time. All the children present helped ring the bell. Meals were served family style and featured hot bread at every meal, and pie or cobbler for desserts. The food, in fact, was so plentiful and good that it place for dieters or people with weak won't power (ours was very weak). We enjoyed exploring the one-room school house, the chapel, and of course the river. The swimming and wading area was shaded for several hours in the morning and evening and we spent a lot of time there. Leon and Terri became--maybe not quite expert--with a canoe and had fun doing it. The resort furnishes several canoes for the use of its guests. Everything is on the honor system and there arc no keys for the cabins. The rec hall has comfortable seats, shuffle board court, and a game table while the lounge also is a comfortable place to rest, read, or play table games. Outside there are available courts for volleyblal and horse shoes and a shelter house with a ping pong table. Outgoing mail is taken to Mountain View each morning. The plaque on the wall at one end of the dining hall says "Time stands still at Bunker Hill" and indeed it is very easy to relax, enjoy life, and almost forget the world while you are there. We also want to mention that at the opposite end of the dining hall, displayed under glass, is a prize-winning quilt made by Mrs. E. T. Behrens of hundreds and hundreds (we are sure) of the tiniest quilt pieces we ever have seen. Afternoons were hot just as they were here but nights were delightfully cool with temperatures down in the 60's. After breakfast on Friday, we told our table companions goodbye; finished packing end loading; stopped at the office; and made a last swing around to tell Bunker Hill good-bye after one of the best vacations we ever have had. We visited the Spring and the Red Mill at Alley Springs; drove around the campground; visited the store we like so much in Eminence, then were homeward bound, where we found Dale and Chance in the early evening. And that's all and bye for now from Country Talk. "Nyet! ... I don't mean the old wall. I'm talking about a new wall! MONEY TALKS --- Rx for Notional Health in the 1980's: Less government, better care By Louis Kukeyser NEW YORK-Bye, bye, National H e a l t h Insurance. Hello, free enterprise en the American medical scene. That's the real story behind the election-year oratory about the nation's health. For, after a generation in which the U.S. seemed to be tilting ever more inevitably toward socialized medicine, it now seems clear that the 1980's are likely to see an extraordinary change toward better patient care and better profits, too. And it couldn't be healthier for all concerned. The change, which has important implications for patients, for physicians and other providers of health care, and for investors, has its roots in two emerging realities. The first is recognition that government's growth has alreay been wasteful and excessive, harming the nation's economic vigor without providing the promised improvements in benefits and service. Washington is broke and has had, however reluctantly, to cut back on its tendency to be continually expansive. The government's share of health-care spending has stopped growing and since 1975 has been outpaced by the growth of private spending. (There are still, to be sure, some who have not yet gotten this message-such as Sen Edward Kennedy-but, as his failures both political and legislative should by now make apparent, he is bucking not only economic reality but the developing U S. consensus.) The second emerging reality is the superiority of the profit motive as a tool for economic progress. Neo- M a r x i s t f a d d i s t s have distorted the role of profits, and gained u n w a r r a n t e d media attention for their notion that profits ultimately add to consumer costs, but the medical scene has repeatedly demonstrated the reverse. (Example: Kidney dialysis is entirely provided by the government under a system that provides for a flat payment to the provider, no matter if it"is for profit or voluntary. Yet two for-profit service companies, National Medical Care and Community Psychiatric, have managed to compete so well with the voluntary providers that they now deliver about 25 percent of the k i d n e y d i a l y s i s treatments in the U.S.-a $1" billion market-and are expected to be supplying 40 percent in five years. Not at a loss, either: the .return on equity at both firms last year was roughly 24 percent. The opportunity for the exercise of private efficiency in medical care has been widened by the trend of the last 15 years away from a traditionally labor-intensive industry to one emphasizing capital and technology-and thus one with more room for l a r g e , specialized entities able to provide services at the lowest possible cost. Increasingjy, these well-organized and largely for-profit service companies have been capturing business from such old-line suppliers as c o m m u n i t y hospitals and independent physicians and dentists. No wonder, then, that Wall Street's top expert on the medical business, Michael M. LeConey of Merrill Lynch, is convinced that "the for-profit health-care service industry should be one of the most dynamic segments of the economy in the 1980's. Even after their spectacular recent stock-market gains, LeConey r e m a i n s an unalloyed enthusiast for the private hospital-management companies (his favorite is National Medical Enterprises) because of their strong continuing earnings again invulnerability to recession and international upheavals Most important, perhaps, he believes, is the increasing recognition that "with the government's budgetary problems, the threat that National Health Insurance once was-which was a takeover of the industry-really it isn't in the cards anymore " Interestingly, whatever the government's actual policy regarding health care in the 1980's the opportunities for efficient, cost-conscious private suppliers are likely to thrive. (For-profit hospital chains already control more than a quarter of the hospital beds in California, Florida, Tennessee and Texas.) And. in seeking to bring space-age business technology to what had been an old fashioned, non-profit in- d u s t r y , t h e h o s p i t a l management companies are demonstrating impressively that profit can be the patient's friend, too. As the private role in U S. medical care again begins to expand, LeConey declares "What it will do, I think, is improve the quality of care-and that's the most important variable in health care ...The profit motive, as we've learned in industry after industry, is a very effective incentive " J980 McNaughl Svndicate. Inc. jack anderson WASHINGTON--Investigators for the Senate Judiciary Committee have painstakingly pieced together the story behind fugitive financier Robert Vesco's attempt to buy his way out of trouble in Washington. The investigation was ordered by Sens. Dennis DeConcini, D-Ariz., and Orrin Hatch R-Utah, in response to charges that the Justice Department obstructed a two-year grand jury inquiry into the case. Here is a brief chronology which might be entitled "The Anotomy of a White House Scandal:" November 1976--The plot began as a scam by R. L. Herring, an Albany, Ga., businessman, to fleece Vesco of some of the millions he allegedly had looted from investors. Herring claimed to have connections who could fix Vesco's legal problems once Jimmy Carter was installed in the White House. December 1976--The scam became more serious af ter^Herring recruited Spencer Lee IV, an Albany, Ga., attorney, to pull strings inside the Carter White House. Lee was an intimate friend of Carter aides Hamilton Jordan and Richard Harden. January 1977--Lee and Herring flew to Vesco's hideaway in Costa Rica where they worked out a complex stock transaction that was supposed to net them several million dollars. Then Lee flew to Nassau where he formed a corporation to launder the anticipated windfall. Later in the month, Vesco spoke to Lee in Washington and was introduced on the telephone to Hamilton Jordan. Vesco testified that he wasn't familiar with Jordan's voice but that Lee said, "Here's Ham." Vesco's account of the conversation was verified by a lie detector test. February 1977--Lee told White House aide Richard Harden all about the millions he expected to collect for helping Vesco. Both men later swore under oath that Harden had persuaded Lee to abandon the scheme. But according to Vesco, Lee continued to remain in cahoots with him. In a battle of veracity, Lee failed and Vesco passed lie detector tests. Most startling of all, Harden reported the Vesco plot to President Carter, who had a legal duty to report it to the Justice Department but failed to do so. June 1977--Before Vesco would make the payoff, he demanded "a signal to show that the Carter administration was doing something about his legal problems." He was told three days before it happened, according to the Senate Judiciary Committee account, that moves to extradite him from Costa Rica would be dropped. "In response to the signal," states the report, "Vesco went ahead with the complex stock transfer, and $10 to $12 million worth of stock actually wound up in the custody of the Georgians." May i»7»--Meanwhile, R. L. Herring came under federal investigation on unrelated fraud charges. In a desperate attempt to stop an indictment, he threatened to expose the Carter-Vcsco connection. Herring's rumblings led to an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission, which uncovered the strange stock transaction. This apparently caused anxiety that the whole plot might be exposed, and Vesco was asked to help hush up the scandal. In return, he began hinting about a favor for his friend, Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi. Jane 1978--Harr Wingate, an Albany, Ga., attorney with Washington connections, flew to Nassau to confer with Vesco. According to the Senate report, Wingate assured Vesco that the fix "was still on" but that Vesco "must maintain silence." Vesco introduced Wingate to Libya's U.N. Ambassador Mansur Rashid Kikhia who sought to lift the freeze on planes that Libya had purchased from the United States. August 1978--Vesco was approached by James Day, a Texas lobbyist, about releasing the planes. Vesco told Senate investigators that he understood this was a follow-up of Wingate's earlier visit, but both Day and Wingate deny knowing one another. September 1978--1 broke the story about the attempt to fix the Vesco case. Vesco told Senate investigators that he received a telephone call from his attorney, Edward Bennett Williams, about my columns. Williams told Vesco that White House aides Hamilton Jordan and Robert Strauss "were with him," a fact that Strauss has confirmed. Adds the Senate report: "According to Vesco, Williams advised him as his attorney to keep quiet and say nothing more to Anderson." October 1978--In subsequent conversations with Day, which Vesco recorded and played back for the Senate investigators, Day linked the release of the planes to keeping "a complete muzzle on Ham's problem." Vesco took this to mean he was to say nothing that might embarrass Hamilton Jordan or the White House. November 1978--The White House ordered two Boeing 727 airliners released to Libya, thus overruling Secretary of State Cyrus Vance who opposed selling planes to Libya because of its support of terrorist activity. · Vesco admitted that the Libyan government paid him "a substantial sum of money" for getting the planes released WATCH ON WASTE: Officials of federally funded "action" agencies have been buying luxuries for their own enjoyment with money that should have been spent helping the poor, according to an unreleased General Accounting Office study. Among items purchased by local organizations sponsored by the Community Services Administration were $500 executive chairs, $50 briefcases, a $3,275 conference table and a Chrysler New Yorker. And one of the do-good agencies did well by its secretaries, okaying $100of Uncle Sam's money to lake them out to lunch for Secretaries Week. Constitution CHUCK HANEY Editor and Publisher JULIE ASHBROOK Advertising Director WM. H. PLUMMER Assistant to the Publisher GARY OGLE Production Supt. Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune Owned and Published By Chiliicothe Newspaper, Inc.. 818 Washington St. Chillicothe, Missouri 64601 Phone (816) 646-2411 Second Class Postage Paid at Chillicothe, Mo. MEMBER OF THE ASSOCIATED PRESS The Associated Press is entitled exclusively to the use for reproduction of all the teal news printed in this newspaper as well as all AP new* dfep*tch«!

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 9,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free