The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on June 2, 1955 · Page 12
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 12

Publication:
Location:
Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Thursday, June 2, 1955
Page:
Page 12
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 12 article text (OCR)

4-Aleana ((a.) Uppdr Pat Molnei ; Jun« Courthouse Custodians Custodians of the new courthouse are Lloyd Haubach. left, assistant; and Leonard Warner. These men are in charge of keeping the offices, corridors and counter tops at the courthouse cle,-ifl. Haubach has.been employed by the county for many years. Warner was hired when the new building was completed. The Old Cornerstone A well-known Algonan, Nick Maharas, a resident of Kossuih county for 33 years, points to the box In the cornerstone of the old courthouse where a number of historical-documents were recovered after the building was razed. The old cornerstone was polished and put into the new building. r c ' ...... Cornerstone Laying Of 1872-1953 Vary But Little Following demolition of Kos- juth County's 81-year old courthouse, quite a lengthy search was necessary before the building's cornerstone could be located—but when it was finally uncovered) the metal box inside offered up many damp, musty historical jocuments and papers that proved of great interest to many persons. The search for the stone proved tough because opinions differed as to its exact location when the building was erected. The Kossuth County History,, written'by B. P. Reed, said it was in the southeast corner, but M. P. Weaver, well-known Algona citizen, advised looking at the northeast corner. This proved to be the hiding place, and it was found. Mr Weaver's father, who helped build the courthouse, had told his son of the location many years ago. According to historical record, the box inside the cornerstone contained everything reportedly put into it July 4, 1872 by Ambrose A. Call, except the history of Prudence Masonic Lodge of Algona and a copy of the United States Constitution. One , item (which probably would have been very interesting to find), rumored to have been included on that July Fourth, a bottle of some l^ind of beverage, was not found. Prudence Lodge 205 AF & AM, with D. S. Ford, worshipful master, in charge, conducted the cornerstone laying. Other officers of the lodge, besides Mr Call, who took part were G. R. Woodworth, John G. Smith, Lewis H. Smith and F. M. Taylor. Lewis H. Smith delivered the main address that day. Quite a history, traceabl e through documents in the box, was revealed. It told of the or- anization of Kossuth County in 865, listed the county officers at that time, and told of the incorporation of Algona, Feb. 1, 1872, :he same year the courthouse was completed. Officers elected March 4 that same year included Mayor Charles Birge, Recorder F. M. Taylor and Trustee W. H. Ingham. Several newspapers, including three copies of the Upper Des Moines, were also preserved. Editor of the UDM at that lime was J. H. Warren, and a personal card and business card of Mr Warren's were enclosed. A pamphlet, published by the American Emigrant Co.. also found in the box, had this to say about the Upper Des Moines — "Algona supports a large and valuable weekly newspaper called The Upper Des Moin- Staff In Cdunty Aid Office Marvel Immerfall, overseer of the poor for Kossuth County, seated, and, ••'Corrine Burgene'r, clerk, are shown in the above photo. It is Mrs rmmerfali's job to administer county aid where needed. County funds are usod for this work, for such things as medical aid, hospitalization and supplementation of old age assistance aid. Her office is 'located on the ground floor. es." Other newspapers included were the : Algona Republican, a predecessor of the UDM, New York Daily Tribune, Northern Vindicator, published at; Estherville, Iowa State Register and the Iowa Land Journal. Population of Kossuth County had grown from 365 in 1863 to 4,000 at the time ; of the cornerstone laying ceremony, and land was being sold for from ?5-$10'an acre in Kossuth arid other northern Iowa counties, at the time. More than 150,000 acres of land was available to purchasers then. Two maps f proved of interest. One showed orily the towns of Algona, Buffalo Fork, Kossuth Center and Greenwood. Only; Algona remains. The others were stagecoach stops between EsthjCr- ville and Blue Earth, and; Disappeared when railroads became a Assessor And Staff Pictured above are Kossuth County Assessor Leo Immerfall, seated, and standing, left to right, Mvs Bernice Heller, clerk; Agatha Fangman, assistant; Marlene Shipnian, extra help; Dorine Fraser, assistant; and'Georgia Hobbs, extra help. It is the duty of the assessor to see that all taxable property within the county is assessed. The assessor's office is located on the first floor of the courthouse. Immerfall has been assessor since 1950. reality. The other showed two railroads, the Milwaukee, which still offers Service here, and jth'e McGregor and Missouri River Railroad, which existed only on "paper at the time. There were READY-MIX helped build the new Kossuth County Courthouse • our sincere congratulations for a beautiful structure Ready-Mix Concrete & Lumber Co. Algona, Iowa 'three coifis, including an 1858 50- cent piece, a copper penny the size of a quarter and a corroded copper coin the size of a dime., Pictures of J.T. Hancock, awo- oer, and J. B. Wlnkel, clothier, taken by W. P. Johnson, who listed his profession as artist, were also found. A list of Algeria businessmen was also in the stone, although age Had made some of thejnarnes and occupations illegible. The list was very complete, and contained names Known to all who have read anything of early Algona and Kossuth County. Titonka Soldier Now A Corporal >TH D1V., KOREA—Roger K. Kfbniinga, 22, son of Mr and Mrs Amos Krominga Jr., Titonka, la., recently was promoted to corporal in Korea where he is o member of the 7th Infantry Division. Continuing its training, the !'Bayoriet" division is the only Best Wishes to Kossuth County on Completion of its fine new Courthouse U. S. Army division that has remained in Korea since the cease-fire. Corpotal Krominga is a communications specialist^ Baton Twirfors At State Camp Two Algona baton twirlers, Helen Kuhlmann and Marilyn Dreesman, have registered for participation in the All State Music Camp to be held at Iowa University, June 19 to July 2. It is expected at least 200 high school students from the mid- west will be in Iowa City for schooling at the time when the local girls are enrolled. Dr. and Mrs R. L. Williams expect to JeaVe May 27 for, their cabin in Canada. They will stop in St. Paul for Henry Swalve who will accompany them. They take their car to Red Lake and from there take a plane fifty miles to their 'cabin. '• Buchanan Abstract Co. 25'/2 E. State St. Algona, Iowa INVINCIBLE STEEL BUSINESS EQUIPMENT NEW KOSSUTH COURTHOUSE COUNTER INSTALLATIONS BY INVINCIBLE COUNTERS - FILING CABINETS - DESKS "MODERNAIRf STEfl DESKS WERE BUILT BY INVINCIBLE METAL FURNITURE CO. OF MANITOWOC, WISCONSIN DESIGNED FOR BETTER BUSINESS LIVING INVINCIBLE STEEL BUSINESS EQUIPMENT

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page