Galesburg Register-Mail from Galesburg, Illinois on August 30, 1963 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

Galesburg Register-Mail from Galesburg, Illinois · Page 1

Publication:
Location:
Galesburg, Illinois
Issue Date:
Friday, August 30, 1963
Page:
Page 1
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 1 article text (OCR)

Home Paptr of 70 Communitiei Qalesburg Krister-Mail Weather Stripe Mm Cooler Tonight and Saturday, Generally Fair During Period A Better Newspaper VOLUME LXXII —205 GALESBURG, ILLINOIS— FRIDAY, AUGUST 30, 1963 PRICE SEVEN CENTS Cuba Bolstering Defenses,Fearing Invasion Attempt HAVANA (AP)-Prime Minister Fidel Castro's government put its armed forces on a state of alert today and posted bigger concentrations of soldiers and militiamen at strategic points throughout Havana. Armed forces had been put into a "state of preparation" Thursday, but beefed-up military measures were reported then only outside the capital and not in Havana. The new moves followed intelligence reports of possible incursions by anti-Castro exiles against installations on the North Coast. According to military intelligence, these raids would be somewhat larger than the hit-and-run attacks made by exiles recently. (At this point, telephone connection between New York and Havana was cut, presumably by censorship. Sources said Thursday night the alert had been in effect since Mon­ day. The military was understood to be watching particularly for any attack from Nicaragua or other Central-American nations which have offered refuge to anti- Castro exiles. Exiles Active (In San Jose, Costa Rica, reports circulated of unusual activity among Cuban exiles in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Manuel Artime, refugee leader who participated in the abortive Bay of Pigs invasion in April 1961, arrived in Managua, Nicaragua, to confer with anti-Castro exiles, sources said). The Cuban command apparently braced for a repetition of a recent series of hit-and-run raids. The last occurred Aug. 19 at a metal plant on the north coast where there are many oil refineries and factories. The Castro government has accused the United States of being directly responsible for the raids. It said the forays proved there was a new plan of aggression against Cuba and said Cuban defenses would be strengthened. Admits Raid A spokesman for a Cuban exile group called Mambises Commandos told newsmen in Guatemala City his organization made the Aug. 19 raid. He said the commandos operated from secret bases in the Caribbean and from inside Cuba. Cuban refugees arriving in Florida have reported Soviet troop activity in the Cuban capital. They said bridges and strategic points around Havana have been taken over by Soviet soldiers, causing some apprehension among Fidel Castro's forces. Returning Students Protest US Policies NEW YORK (AP)—Fifty American students who defied a State Department ban on travel to Cuba returned by plane from Madrid Thursday night, many of them still defiant of U.S. policies. Some of the students staged a "stand-in" at Idlewild Airport to protest a government announcement that their passports would be invalidated. The "stand-in" ended two hours later when they were told their passports would not be marked invalid. However, each student was presented with a State Department letter noting that his or her passport had been suspended because of the trip to Cuba. "We consider this another victory," said Lee Levi Laub of New York, a former Columbia University student. Ten Subpoenaed Ten of the students were subpoenaed to appear Sept. 12 before the House Committee on Un- American Activities. When the group left their plane, most of them walked into the Customs Building quietly. But one student, not identified, fell to his knees and kissed the ground. A spokesman for the group said five students decided not to take part in the Idlewild demonstration. The spokesman added that only about five "disliked what they saw in Cuba." Larry Phelps, one of those served with a subpoena, said he is from North Carolina and is a graduate of the University of North Carolina. "I can't understand why I was served," Phelps said. "Of course, I'll have to go there (Washington)." Philip Luce of New York City contended that in going to Cuba the students had exercised their constitutional rights and had violated no rules or laws. He referred to the Cuban visit as "a magnificent experience to all." The United States restricts travel to Cuba, with which it has no diplomatic relations. Where To Find It 2 SECTIONS 26 PAGES Abingdon 21 Amusement 6 Bushnell 13 Churches 9 Classified Ads 24-25 Comics-TV-Radio 22 Editorial * Farm Ml» Galva 6 Hospital Notes 6 Knoxville 5 Markets 20 Monmouth 12 Obituary 23 Sports 16-17 Weather 2 Women in the News ....10-11 SPOKESMAN—Phillip Luce, a 26 -year-old student, served as spokesman for a group returning from an extended visit in Cuba as guests of Fidel Castro. Luce is shown during an interview with newsmen in Idlewild Airport where they staged a stand-in when the U. S. threatened to cancel their passports. UN1FAX Richard Thorne of Berkeley, Calif., a Negro, told newsmen: "I saw schools in Cuba and no discrimination. The party leaders were honest." Don Rainman, a University of California student, remarked: "The people have an unprecedented enthusiasm for Fidel Castro. They have not lost their zeal for the revolution." The students who originally numbered 59, went first to Czechoslovakia, then Havana. They went to Madrid from Havana last Sunday. Of the original 59, one died in Cuba, three remained there, one returned earlier to Boston, and four decided to stay in Madrid a bit longer. Concerning the invalidation of their passports, Clark Foreman, director of the Emergency Civil Liberties Committee, said the courts would have to decide whether such a procedure was legal. Castro Spends $150,000 to Play Host to 59 Americans NEW YORK (UPD - It cost Fidel Castro at least $150,000 from a dollar-short national treasury to pay the expenses of 59 American students for seven weeks in Cuba as government guests, it was estimated here today. Travel sources said airline economy fares alone — assuming the group traveled tourist class— from New York to Havana and return, via Amsterdam, Paris, Prague and Madrid, exceeded $80,000. In addition, their lodging at the Havana Riviera Hotel cost Castro more than $22,000, and their meals for the period in excess of $25,000. Excluded from the cost estimate were unknown totals for entertainment and expense monies advanced the students, and the costs involved in freighting them around the island by air and bus on carefully-guided tours. Also, two women members of the junket remained in Havana to have expected babies at Castro government expense. 1 The Golesburg Register-Mail Will Not Be Published on Monday; Labor Day September 2 Turncoat Is Not Pleased With Reclism HONG KONG (AP)-vAlbert Belhomme, a U.S. Army turncoat in the Korean War, came out of Red China today, disillusioned with communism. The former sergeant from Ashland, Pa., entered Hong Kong accompanied by his Chinese wife, Hsio Ying, 28, and their three sons, ranging from 1 to 6 years. All looked fit and happy. Belhomme, 34-year-old native of Belgium, said he planned to take his family to Antwerp, Belgium, in a few days. He was the second turncoat to cross the border this month after nearly 10 years in Communist China. The other, Lowell Skinner of Akron, Ohio, left his Chinese wife behind and returned to the United States. "I was burned politically," Belhomme told newsmen at the border. "I was politically disillusioned. "My main concern now js my family. I want my children to have a better future." Charleston Enrolls Five Negro Pupils CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) Five Negro students were enrolled without incident today at three previously all-white Charleston public schools in South Carolina's first school integration below the college level. One policeman was on hand as Negroes enrolled for the first time at Rivers and Charleston high schools and at the James Simons elementary school. Except for a handful of newsmen at each school, there were no crowds and only students looked on as South Carolina lowered racial barriers in its secondary and elementary schools. Public school integration came a day after the Roman Catholic Church opened its eight white elementary schools here to Negroes. Calm prevailed as 15 of 202 eligible Negroes chose to attend integrated classes. Last January, Negro Harvey B. Gantt entered Clemson College to mark the first desegregation of any tax-supported school in South Carolina. Senate Meet Only Lasts 3 Seconds WASHINGTON (AP) - The usually long-winded Senate put on a one-member, one-sentence "session" today but the best the Capitol's fastest gavel banger could do was match his own 3-second adjournment record. Sen. Lee Metcalf, D-Mont., had the floor and the rostrum all to himself except for staff members as he did some presiding of sorts over a token meeting. Metcalf tried, as the transcript of proceedings shows: "The Senate under previous order will now adjourn to Tuesday next." But Senate attaches agreed he hadn't even shaved off a fraction of a second. Executive Defined WASHINGTON (SPI) - According to the Labor Department, a mart must earn at least $100 a weekfq be an executive. By governnfjflt standards, the department said Thursday that to qualify for the title of executive a man also must supervise at least two employes. t Television Camera May Have Spotted Body in M ine Pit HOSPITALIZED—Mrs. Louis Bova is confined to a Shenandoah, Pa., hospital due to fatigue while a search is under way for her husband who was trapped within a coal mine over two weeks ago. A TV camera is believed to have sighted the man's body within the mine. UN1FAX. Byrd Reveals U.S. Payroll Highest Ever WASHINGTON (UPI) — Sen. Harry F. Byrd, (D-Va.,) said today that federal payroll costs reached an all-time high of $15.3 billion during fiscal 1963. In a statement accompanying the monthly report of his Committee on Reduction of Non-essential Federal Spending, Byrd said the in crease was almost one bil lion dollars over the fiscal year for 1962. Byrd blamed the rise on an increase in the number of em­ ployes in the government, plus salary increases for federal workers. Byrd's report showed federal civilian employment averaged 2,493,374 during fiscal 1963, an increase of 44,522 over the previous year. For July, the first month of the 1964 fiscal year, Byrd's report put the number of government em­ ployes at 2,518,900. Other congressional news: Northeast: Rep. F. Bradford Morse, R-Mass., introduced a bill to allow Northeast Airlines to keep its Florida route, despite a Civil Aeronautics Board decision against the airline. In 1956, the CAB granted Northeast Airlines temporary permission to fly the Florida route, but revoked it this month, effective Oct. 14. Trawlers: Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., said he was con­ cerned about the number of Russian trawlers in Atlantic waters off Cape Cod, Mass. Kennedy said he endorsed legislation that would penalize foreign ships that enter U.S. territorial waters to fish. He said the armada of Russian fishing ships is so close to American territorial waters "an intrusion can be anticipated." Borrower Uses Persuasion to Obtain 'Loan 9 MIAMI, Fla. (AP)-A Coral Ga- b.is loan firm several days ago turned down a young man's request for money because he was under 21. "Come back with a co-signer," said Charles Jones, the manager. The young man returned Thursday with another youth and a revolver. They fled with $512. Form Appears in Sitting Position SHEPPTON, Pa. (UPI) — A television camera lowered in search of miner Louis Bova, trapped for 16 days, recorded early today "what looked like the entire body of a man," according to H. Beecher Charmbury, state secretary of mines. The camera, Charmbury said, was lowered into the escape hole through which) David Fellin and Henry Throne were dramatically rescued early Tuesday. The Aug. 13 cave-in which imprisoned all three miners had trapped Bova separately from the other two, and they said they had not heard from him since Aug. 20 but Charmbury said it was possible Bova had come into the chamber since Fellin and Throne were rescued. The camera, according to Charmbury, recorded what "looked like the entire body of a man — a miner's hat, head, shoulders, arms, legs and boots." The form, he said, appeared to be in a sitting position against a wooden post. Findings Not Conclusive However, Charmbury emphasized that the findings of the camera were not conclusive. "It appears to be a man's body," he said. "We are by no means sure of this." He said further pictures were being taken and that a volunteer might be lowered into the hole today. Whether to send one of more than 20 volunteers down was to depend on the hazards involved and the scrutiny of pictures. Originally it had been planned to take pictures down another hole, 22 inches wide, reamed down Thursday to the presumed location of the 52-year-old Bova. A 3-inch-wide drill probe to Bova's presumed location has been completed. A 6-inch-wide probe has not yet been finished. Controversy continued Thursday over a contention by David Fellin, who was dramatically rescued with Henry Throne early Tuesday, that they should have been brought out after 5 instead of 15 days. Fellin, a co-owner of the mine, had told newsmen that rescuers should have dug through the old mine shaft, instead of drilling new probes to the two men. Officials Take Issue The three leaders of the rescue effort took immediate issue with Fellin's statement. Gordon Smith, deputy state director of mines, said it was partly Fellin's fault that the mine caved in. "The miners in this operation were removing pillars of coal," Smith said. "Fellin showed he doesn't know all there is to know about mining by getting himself in this predicament." The mine, abandoned in 1929, had been worked again sporadically since 1950. Smith said Fellin was "taking out coal pillars left all those years" to support the mine. Brotherhoods Name Representatives to Serve on Railroad Arbitration Panel WASHINGTON (AP) — Two union representatives were named today to serve on a seven-member arbitration panel in the railroad work rules dispute. They are H. E. Gilbert, presi- ent of the AFL-CIO Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, and R. H. McDonald, vice president of the AFL-CIO Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. The carriers announced Thursday their representatives on the panel will be J. E. Wolfe, their chief negotiator, and Guy W. Knight, vice president in charge of labor relations for the Pennsylvania Railroad. By Legislation Provision for the seven-member arbitration board composed of two railroad members, two chosen by the five operating unions, and three neutral members was included in legislation signed Wednesday by President Kenne­ dy to halt a threatened nationwide strike. A union spokesman said the four panelists will meet Wednesday to discuss their choices for the three neutral arbitrators to complete the panel. Under terms of the new act, the arbitration board will work out a binding solution to the use of firemen on diesel freight engines and the issue of makeup of train crews. Other issues in the tangled dispute would be left to negotiation by the two sides. Moab Repair Shop Set Up As a Morgue MOAB, Utah (UPI) — The grim task of identifying bodies of victims of a potash mine explosion began today in a truck repair shop converted into a temporary morgue. At the same time, federal and state agencies began a full-scale investigation of the blast, which killed 18 of 25 construction workers nearly 3,000 feet below the earth's surface. The makeshift morgue was set up when word reached officials that the remaining 18 men still in the mine were dead. Seven men survived the blast. Five were rescued Thursday night; two were rescued Tuesday, the day of the explosion. Sheriff John Stocks, who knew most of the victims personally, said it appeared that visual identification would be impossible in most cases. He said there was a possibility he would ask the FBI to aid in the identification. Orders Inquiry The federal investigation into the blast was ordered by the Interior Department in Washington Thursday following a statement by the director of the Bureau of Mines that "all but one" of four fatal accidents involving workers at the mine property during the past 20 months "were preventable." Tuesday's survivors, Don Blake Hanna, 27, and Paul McKinney, 22, were at the mine Thursday to aid in the rescue of their five companions. The five included Charles Byrge, Helper, Utah; Robert June, Moab; Charles Clark, Moab; Tom Trueman, Toronto, and Grant H. Eslick, Moab. Eslick was the only employe of the Texas company. The 24 other men worked for Harrison International. Trueman and Hanna were hospitalized for treatment of injuries and burns. Eslick said the smoke after the blast gave him his "worst moments." "If a guy is going to panic, ha will do it in smoke," he said. 'Plumber' Finds Purse Theft Lead pipe Cinch CHICAGO (AP) - An elderly woman told police Thiu-sday that a man who said he was a plumber- called from the basement doorway of an apartment building she was visiting and asked her to help him. 'Hold that pipe," Mrs. Mary Wekerle, 79, said the man told her. She said she complied when he said he had to go outside for a pipe wrench. She said she held the pipe a long time before she realized the stranger, who failed to reappear, had picked up her purse on the way out. Its contents, she said, included her bank book. J

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page