Galesburg Register-Mail from Galesburg, Illinois on May 7, 1973 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Galesburg Register-Mail from Galesburg, Illinois · Page 1

Galesburg, Illinois
Issue Date:
Monday, May 7, 1973
Page 1
Start Free Trial

Nixon Denial WtMfftM lettMtf M Of MMM M C0V *t it mate At i» fUMMiM ** Rain Tonight Low Upper M't Clearing Tuesday High MM, A Better Nmtmpaper VOLUME LXXXM — 108 GALESBURG, ILLINOIS 61401 — MONDAY, MAY 7, 1973 PRICE TEN CENTS Where to Find It 3t PAGES 2 SECTIONS Abingdon 27 Amttscment 6 Ballding 25 Bninnell 7 ClMitfled Ads JMMMl ComtefrRadlo .......... 24 Editorial _ 4 Gilva 7 Hospital Notes 23 KMxvttle 27 Markets U Monmoath 22 Obltwy 15 Sports 11*11 Wentaer 2 Women In the News -10-11 Tl Tl TVT 1 lo Be INamed In Watergate Bug Case Elliot Richardson WASHINGTON (UPI) - A special prosecutor will be named to supervise investigation aimed at "uncovering the whole truth" in the Watergate scandal, Attorney - General designate Elliot L. Richardson announced today. Richardson, himself designated just a week ago by President Nixon to take command of the government's inquiry into the widening scope of the plot and subsequent efforts to cover, up its scope, said the person selected would be given "all the independen­ ce" necessary to conduct a full and impartial investigation. Richardson read a statement of his plans during an appearance at the Pentagon before newsmen, and declined to answer any questions about who the prosecutor would be. He explained that the reason was his forthcoming confirmation hearings, starting Wednesday, by the Senate Judiciary Committee which he said was the only "appropriate forum" for such questions at this time. Several possibilities for the job have been mentioned, including William T. Coleman, a Philadelphia lawyer who was a classmate of Richardson's at Yale and who later served with Richardson as a Supreme Court clerk to the Late Justice Felix Frankfurter. Coleman was asked this morning in Philadelphia if he had been asked to take the job. He refused to comment on all questions related to the matter. Richardson said at the outset of his Pentagon appearance that he wanted the Judiciary Committee to.know, before it started hearings on his nomina­ tion for attorney general two days hence, that he intended to name a prosecutor as President Nixon gave him optional authority to do last Monday. Richardson said he was searching for a man to meet the exacting standards the special prosecutor would have to have and would name him as rapidly as possible. Many senators want to have the right to confirm the man. Richardson said the President "charged me with the responsibility for uncovering the whole truth about the Watergate case and related matter who is involved," and that was exactly what he intended to do. "Although he will be in the Department of Justice and report to me —and only to me —he will be aware thai his ultimate responsibility is to the American people." He said the special prosecutor must have "outstanding competence as a lawyer preferably including trial experience." This would rule out former Sen. John J. Williams, R- (Continued on Page 22) Israel Marks Military Show JERUSALEM (UPI) - Israel marked its 25th year of independence today with a show of military might, its first Independence Day military parade in five years. Earlier, Israelis celebrated with street dancing, fireworks, bonfires and an appeal to its Arab enemies for peace. Police predicted a crowd of 500,000 persons would line the streets of the holy city of Jerusalem—sacred to Christians, Jews and Moslems—to see 2,000 troops plus air and armored power pass in review. An air force flypast, the biggesteever -Assembled for ibe holiday and the first featuring U.S.-built F4 Phantom fighter. bombers, was one highlight. More than 400 armored vehicles, including 100 tanks, will follow the troops. They will include newly unveiled self- propelled weapons, antiaircraft guns and Israeli-modified, British-built Centurion tanks and captured Soviet-built T54 and T55 tanks. Indians Honor Sunday Pact Peace Terms PINE RIDGE, S.D. (UPI) Indians already have begun complying with terms of a Sunday agreement to end the 70-day-old armed occupation of Wounded Knee. Federal sources told UPI that the first provision of the new agreement — the listing of Wounded Knee occupiers and their weapons—has been accomplished. Although the lists may be incomplete and were delivered several hours after the 5 p.m. MDT deadline, the sources were optimistic that the American Indian Movement (AIM) members meant to honor terms of the agreement and lay down their arms by Wednesday morning. The listing of arms and personnel of the occupying force was the job of the Community Relations Service (CRS) of the U.S. Justice Department, the agency which has maintained liason between A)M forces and the government since the start of the armed confrontation Feb. 27. The Sunday agreement spelled out in details the method by which the Indians would lay down their arms and leave the village. It embodied provisions of the abrogated April 5 agreement between the government and AIM leaders dealing with treaty rights and civil rights complaints. The Sunday agreement called for the laying down of arms as of 7 a.m. Wednesday morning. The delay in disposession of arms was a concession to AIM leaders, government spokesmen said. Martha's Statement That Nixon Resign Called 'Ridiculous 9 Israel's Independence Day Israeli President Zalman Shazar (R), Prime Minister Golda Meir, and Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. David Elazar (L), take the salute today ias Israel's 25th Independence Parade passes the reviewing stand in Jerusalem. UNIFAX WASHINGTON (UPI) - Former Attorney General John N. Mitchell says the idea of President Nixon resigning because of the Watergate scandal is "ridiculous." He criticized United Press International for quoting his wife, Martha, as saying the President should quit. Mrs. Mitchell called UPI White House correspondent Helen Thomas late Saturday night and said: "Mr. President should resign immediately. I think he let the country down. It's going to take a hell of a lot to get him He's been compromised." Asked why she thought Nixon should step down, Mrs. Mitchell replied: "I think in order to give credibility to the Republican party and credibility to the United States." Mitchell, who has been mentioned frequently in allegations of an effort to cover up high-level administration involvement in the bugging of Democratic offices at the Watergate building, issued this statement Sunday: He's Disappointed "Martha's late night telephone calls have been good fun and games in the past. However, this is a serious issue. I'm surprised and disappointed that United Pres International would take advan tage of a personal phone call made under the stress of the current situation and treat it as a sensational public statement. "I think that under all the circumstances, Martha is entitled to more consideration and courtesy than that, particularly from a reporter whom she had considered a personal friend. "Any thought of the President resigning is ridiculous." Her Call In her call to Miss Thomas Saturday, Mrs. Mitchell said, "There is nothing that Mr. President didn't know about that my husband didn't know about." As for her husband, she said, "I don't think he is going to get out of it." When Mrs. Mitchell emphasized that she wanted the story to move immediately, Miss Thomas noted that it might not appear in some East Coast newspapers because of the lateness of the hour. Mrs. Mitchell said she understood and wanted the story published. Mrs. Mitchell said she and her husband are "very close" and that she "got him into all this" by convincing him to support Nixon. "Till scream my dying day, I'll that I changed him from a Democrat to a Republican. I changed him from saying 'Tricky Dick Nixon* into his love for him," she said. iT/« i X) l n • Rapid Boom Consul Kidnappers Break rromise V * M Has GUADALAJARA, Mexico (UPI) — The guerrilla kidnapers of U.S. Consul General Terrence G. Leonhardy went back today on their promise to release him once 30 political prisoners were flown to Cuba and were reported to be making new demands, possibly involving a cash ransom. There has been no word since Sunday when Leonhardy sent word in a letter that he was in "good health" and being treated well. But as time passed with no release there were fears for his safety and goverment sources said still another factor might be involved—the kidnapers might be "too afraid" to release him immediately. They pointed to a local news story in which police Chief Jesus Ahumada Mercado was quoted as saying the kidnapers may already have been identified and that fecal authorities were ready to move against them as soon as the American diplomat is freed. There has been total official silence, however, on the case since Jalisco State Gov. Alberto Orozco Romero indicated Sunday night that new demands were being put forth by the guerrillas. The governor later retracted the statement, saying he only knew of "rumors" of new demands. But there was heightened speculation that a big cash ransom payment may now be a factor. The only official statement on the case came from a consular spokesman who described the situation as "very delicate." The demands—they were not disclosed—came hours after Mexico agreed to free the 30 prisoners and flew them to Cuba. "The situation is very delicate," said a spokesman for the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara that Leonhardy headed. The spokesman declined to elaborate. Earlier, officials said the guerrillas sent three more notes, to a Peruvian envoy, a Mexican official and the U.S. Consulate. The one sent to the Mexican official apparently contained new demands. Governor Withdraws Comment After first saying flatly that the note contained "new demands," Gov. Alberto Orozco Romero withdrew the comment, saying he was "misunderstood" earlier. But sources said, the guerrillas now demanded a cash ransom. The report on the 58-year-old Leonhardy was contained in a brief letter he addressed to Orozco. U.S. officials said Leonhardy's note, written in Spanish, said: "I'm well and they're treating me well. I'm grateful for your help in making all the arrangements for my release, with the president (of Mexico). My captors have promised to free me and say they will go through with their promise at an opportune moment, so that all searching is stopped. If it's not (the following word was illegible) they will delay my release." Other communiques were sent to U.S. vice consul Ernest Gutierrez and Mario Collignon de la Pena, the honorary consul of Peru. U.S. officials maintained absolute secrecy on the text of the communication to Gutierrez. In the note to Collignon, a government spokesman said, the kidnapers asked him to warn police not to launch an immediate investigation, because this would delay or jeopardize Leonhardy's release. The letters were found in a downtown mailbox after the authorities received anonymous telephone calls about their whereabouts. Leonhardy, married with two daughters aged six and three, was seized Friday night at gunpoint by three guerrillas who stopped his car near his home in the fashionable suburb of Providencia. The kidnapers' demands for the government to free 30 political prisoners and to fly them to Cuba were met and the group, including 26 men and four women, arrived Sunday in Havana aboard a Mexican Air Force DC6. Communist Gunners Hit Relief Convoy PHNOM PENH (UPI) Communist gunners set fire to one ship ' and another went aground Sunday night when 11 vessels carrying relief supplies to Phnom Penh tried to slip up the Mekong River under cover of darkness. Ten of the vessels made it to the capital, but all of them sustained damage and officials said the captain and crew of one of them abandoned ship and are missing. The tanker Vira I, flying the Panamanian flag, was hit and set afire at Dey Dos, 25 miles southeast of Phnom Penh. The ship was carrying 475,000 tons of badly needed aviation fuel. Shipping sources said the crew of the Vira I abandoned the burning vessel in lifeboats. Their whereabouts was not known at noon today. The nationalist Chinese-Cambodian owned cargo ship Veng An, loaded with candles, oil and general supplies, was hit at Meat Krassas, 12 miles from Phnom Penh. The ship was seriously damaged but managed to limp into the capital about 11 a.m. today, shipping sources said. Communists scored the hits despite heavy U.S. air support along the river. Three young girls were killed and 24 persons wounded Sunday night when a hand grenade was tossed into a crowded market­ place at the Phnom Penh suburb of Stung Meanchey. Witnesses said the market was jammed with shopping housewives when a man hurled the grenade and fled. In the convoy relief operation, skippers said, Communist gunners opened fire on the file of four tankers, four cargo ships and three tugs soon after they left the river town of Neak Luong, 32 miles southeast of Phnom Penh. The tanker Vira 1, flying the Panamanian flag, was hit at Dey Dos, 25 miles southeast of Phnom Penh, and set afire. The ship was carrying 475,000 gallons of badly needed aviation fuel. The Phnom Penh port authority said the ship's captain was missing but that no other crewmen aboard the Vira 1 were hurt. The Nationalist Chinese and Cambodian-owned cargo ship Veng An, carrying candles, oil and general supplies, was hit at Meat Krassas, about 12 miles outside Phnom Penh. It was seriously damaged and grounded at a point where the four tributaries of the Mekong meet, ships officers said. Seamen aboard the vessels said most of the damage was done by grenades fired by rockets. Shipping sources said the 10 ships that reached Phnom Penh arrived with their cargoes generally intact. They said this included about 1.2 million gallons of petroleum, kerosene and aviation fuel. In another operation, U.S. planes also flew support missions for a convoy of 202 trucks and trailers that traveled along Highway 4 to Phnom Penh from the deepwater port of Kompong Som, 134 miles to the southeast. Military sources reported today that the situation remained critical at the province capital of Takeo, 55 miles south of Phnom Penh on Highway 2. Several mortar rounds were i'ired into the city Sunday, wounding at least one civilian. Come to End WASHINGTON (UPI) Chairman Herbert Stein of President Nixon's Council of Economic Advisers (CEA) said today the most rapid part of the current economic boom is probably over. That means, Stein told a meeting of the Financial Analysts Federation, prices and total economic output will continue to rise but at less rapid rates that in recent months. Stein based his estimate on three assumptions: A slackening in the rapid increase in food prices; a willingness of organized labor to settle for moderate wage increases in contract negotiations this year, and a slowdown in demand due to tighter monetary and fiscal policy by the federal government. A slowdown in the inflation rate— 6 per cent in the first three months of 1973—"is a consummation devoutly to be wished," Stehr said. Likewise, the 8 per cent real economic growth rate in the same period cannot be sustained by the anticipated growth in the labor force or rise in productivity. "That has to come to an end sometime and the end cannot be very far off...," he said. "That we will have a slowdown in the rate of expansion of money GNP (Gross National Product) is now about as likely as an economic forecast can be." Grocery prices in March already were 10.5 per cent above the 1972 average. f

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,000 newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free