Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa on July 25, 1974 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa · Page 1

Publication:
Location:
Carroll, Iowa
Issue Date:
Thursday, July 25, 1974
Page:
Page 1
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 1 article text (OCR)

a placet) grow Vol. 105 — No. 173 Carroll Daily Times Herald Return Postage Guaranteed Carroll, Iowa, Thursday, July 25, 1974 — Ten Pages Delivered by Carrier Boy Each Evening' for 60c Per Week Single Copy Gets Voters' League Report, Studies New Water Source Council Okays Beautif ication Completion By James B. Wilson The Carroll City Council, meeting in special session Wednesday evening, was presented with a report by the Carroll County League of Women Voters on the first phase of a study conducted by the group concerning the use of revenue-sharing funds in the City of Carroll. While the report did drift somewhat from the specific topic of revenue sharing, it did include several recommendations concerning council procedures, particularly in the area of citizen information. The council was also given a report by Mayor William S. Farner on a joint meeting of the Carroll County Solid Waste Management Commission and the Carroll County Regional Planning Commission held earlier this week to discuss problems at the Carroll County landfill facility. In council action, approval was given for an additional expenditure of up to $10,000 to complete the beautification phase of the city's central business district urban renewal project. Included in the project will be the resurfacing of Fourth Street between Adams and Carroll Streets and resurfacing the parking lot north of the new Fourth Street extension between Court and Clark Streets. Three other areas will also be resurfaced to not only provide a smoother surface, but also to eliminate problems of standing water. These areas are the south side of Sixth Street between Main and Court Streets, the north side of Sixth Street between Adams and Carroll Streets, and the west side of Carroll Street between Sixth and Seventh Streets. In addition, the project will include planting trees on the green area between the parking lot and Fourth Street from Adams to Main Street. Council approval was also given to constructing a large water fountain in the mall area between the Court House and new Civic Center at a cost of $25,000. The fountain was originally included in the beautification project, but was deleted because of cost overruns. The council was told Wednesday money for the fountain is now available because of the recent approval of an additional $108,000 project grant by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Payment of an additional $2,875.60 to the Higley Construction Co. of Emmetsburg, the general contractors for the new Civic Panel Opens Historic Debate on Impeachment of President WASHINGTON (AP) — The House Judiciary Committee resumed today its landmark debate on the impeachment of President Nixon, hearing first from a Republican who declared Nixon "is entitled to a presumption of innocence." The assertion from Rep. Charles E. Wiggins of California came despite Tuesday's claim from another GOP de-fender of the President that a committee decision against Nixon is assured. Wiggins has frequently been characterized as Nixon's most articulate defender on the committee, but he told the committee's second session of formal debate that "I wince" at that label because he believes simply that the case should be decided according to law. '••••'•••"••'.'••••''"•• ' If fairness is not the overriding factor in the epic proceedings, said Wiggins, "we would be doing a greater violence to the Constitution than any misconduct alleged of Richard Nixon." Wiggins was the first of 27 committee members remaining to make opening statements in the debate on a proposed two-article recommendation of impeachment. If the committee approves impeachment in a vote expected this weekend, then the full House of Representatives must decide whether to send the matter on to the Senate for trial. Wiggins told his colleagues it was "not too late for me to challenge" whether they should sit in the proceeding if they have formed a preconceived notion on Nixon's guilt or innocence. But despite his challenge, the committee was believed likely to vote impeachment, though the margin of such a vote remains to be determined. The committee opened its historic debate Wednesday night before a nationwide television and radio audience that heard Rep. Charles W. Sandman Jr., R-N.J., claim "There are sufficient votes here for an impeachment resolution. "Everyone knows that. There is no use kidding ourselves about it," he said. Sandman, who lined up against impeachment, was one of 11 committee members who gave their views in a televised presentation of the historic proceedings. Chairman Peter W. Rodino Jr.'s schedule for the 38-member committee calls for concluding general debate tonight and moving onto actual consideration of articles of impeachment Friday. That schedule suffered a slight setback last night when a bomb scare forced a 47-minute delay. The threat, telephoned to the Capitol switchboard, forced Rodino to empty the packed room while police searched fruitlessly for a bomb. Later, after Rodino had recessed the proceedings for the night and the hearing room had almost emptied, a second bomb threat was received. Again nothing was found. The most explosive item in the room was a resolution offered by Rep. Harold D. Donohue, D-Mass., calling for Nixon's impeachment on two broad articles, one based on the Watergate cover-up, the other charging him with abusing his powers of office. The proposed articles, still subject to refinements, were drafted after day-long negotiations between pro-impeachment Democrats and seven fence-sitting members 'Forced Out' - Bowing to pressure caused from his trial for masterminding the American Indian Movement's seizure of Wounded Knee, S.D., last year, AIM National Executive Dennis Banks claims it has forced him to resign from that post. Cyprus Talks Set to Get Under Way GENEVA, Switzerland (AP) — The foreign ministers of Britain, Greece and Turkey prepared to meet here tonight to begin negotiations seeking permanent peace on explosive Cyprus. James Callaghan of Britain, Turan Gunes of Turkey and George Mavros of the new Greek government were expected to meet for about three days, adopt a communique supporting the cease-fire on the island the Turks invaded last Saturday and create a working group. The working group would do the actual negotiating on such concrete matters as continued Turkish control of the Ky re ma-Nicosia corridor the Turks captured, the withdrawal from Cyprus of the Greek army officers who led the coup that ousted President Makarios and the restoration of constitutional government to the island. The abdication of the Greek military dictatorship in Athens was considered a good omen for the negotiations. But the new interim president of Cyprus, Glafcos Clerides, said he had little faith in the Geneva talks if Cyprus were not represented, Foreign governments cannot work out a peace formula abroad and impose it on the island, he declared. Britain, Greece and Turkey are the three guarantors of the independence of Cyprus under the treaty in which Britain freed the Mediterranean island in 1960. Although Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger's telephone calls to Ankara had much to do with Turkish Premier Bulent Ecevit's decision to accept the cease-fire, it was not clear what role the United States would play now. Center, was also given council approval. The cost increase encountered by the Higley firm was due to delays involved in turning over the land for construction following demolition of the old buildings in the block. Council approval was also given for the installation of larger street lights on Main Street between Bluff and Thirteenth Streets. The lights, which will provide three times the lighting now in existence on the street, are those that were located in the old Fourth Street parking lot. The council directed Robert Catton, an engineer with Henningson, Durham and Nixon Will Surrender His Tapes SAN CLEMENTE, Cali'f. (AP) — Pledging to comply with the Supreme Court's Watergate tapes ruling "in all respects," a disappointed President Nixon has ended weeks of uncertainty with the declaration, "I respect and accept the court's decision." Some eight hours after the court announced on Wednesday its 8-0 decision that Nixon must surrender 64 additional tapes and documents, the President issued a statement through his chief Watergate defense lawyer, James D. St. Clair. Drafted after lengthy conferences at Nixon's oceanside home here, it ended suspense heightened by weeks of refusal by presidential aides to say whether he would obey an adverse court ruling. "While I am disappointed in the result, I respect and accept the court's decision, and I have instructed Mr. St. Clair to take whatever measures are necessary to comply with that decision in all respects," the President said. Nixon had challenged in the courts a Subpoena for the tapes and documents from special Watergate prosecutor Leon Jaworski, who said they were needed for the cover-up trial of six former White House and campaign aides, scheduled for Sept. 9. The defendants include H.R. Haldeman, John D. Ehrlichman and John N. Mitchell. Weeks may yet pass before the tapes and documents are made available to Jaworski. They must be screened for relevance by U.S. District Court Judge John J. Sirica. Appearing before newsmen and television cameras at the White House press center in nearby Laguna Beach on Wednesday afternoon, St. Clair spoke of ''the time-consuming process of reviewing the tapes subject to the subpoena and the preparation of the index and analysis required . . . ." He said the work "will begin forthwith." Richardson in Omaha, to submit a report to Public Works Administrator Leo Clark concerning the possibility of obtaining an additional water supply for the city. The report is to include recommendations and cost estimates including the cost of drilling test holes. The action came after Catton told the council that the present water field has a limit of 2 million gallons daily, and during the recent hot weather as much as 1.8 million gallons have been pumped daily. He said plans for a new water field, which he estimated could cost as much as $2 million to put into operation, should be made because the project should be under way about 5 years before reaching the limit on the present water supply. The council approved the payment of an additional $4,000 to complete the drilling of a new well which is now ready for operation, and the expenditure of $3,500 to make an existing well that has not been used for some time operative once again. The council approved the signing of an agreement with the architectural firm of Foss, Englestad and Heil of Sioux City to aid in the preliminary planning stages for the proposed Carroll Recreational Unusual Sight — -Staff Photo Umbrellas have been a rare sight in Carroll recently, but some came out Thursday as a light rain greeted people going to work. Two on the way to early Thursday work were Pat Ruhde (left) and Cleone Hermsen, both of Carroll. Turner Clarifies Intoxication Law Iowa Daily Press Association DES MOINES — A peace officer is not obligated to take a person who appears to be intoxicated to an alcohol treatment facility, he may file a charge of public intoxication instead. That's the thrust of an opinion issued Wednesday by Attorney General Richard C. Turner to State Senator Richard R. Ramsey, R-Osceola. Ramsey, a former county attorney, had asked Turner for a clarification of a newly enacted law dealing with intoxication. The law (Senate File 1354) provides that: ''An intoxicated person may come to a facility for emergency treatment. A person who appears to be intoxicated or Turner, See Page 2 complex. A bond issue on the proposed new facility is tentatively scheduled for late this year or in 1975. A delegation, headed by the co-chairmen of the project, Councilman Darwin Bunger and City Attorney Ronald H. Schechtman and City Manager Arthur Gute, will make an inspection of recreational facilities next Wednesday. In its report, the League of Women Voters told the council their survey showed the citizens of Carroll know very little about the budget process in general and revenue sharing specifically. Council, See Page 2 Tear Gas is Moved to Prison HUNTSVILLE, Tex. (AP) — Prison officials began moving tear gas equipment today into a state prison unit where armed convicts threatened to kill 10 hostages. W. J. Estelle Jr., director of the Texas Department of Corrections, said the situation was stable and "negotiations are going on by telephone." He refused comment about the equipment. An armed takeover of a third-floor library was led by Fred Gomez Carrasco, a prisoner serving a life sentence, prison authorities said. Prison information director Ron Taylor, when asked about reports of shooting, said no one had been shot and killed. But when asked if no one had been shot, he responded, "I'm not say ing that." Taylor went back inside the ivy-covered prison fortress when asked to comment on the presence of tear gas equipment. Authorities said seven convicts were with the hostages, but one of the convicts was not believed to be an active participant in the rebellion. The hostages are seven women and three men, said Dr. Don Kirkpatrick, assistant director of the Texas Department of Corrections. One of the men is a guard and the other hostages are civilian teachers and librarians. Kirkpatrick told newsmen Wednesday night that Carrasco had demanded six bullet-proof vests, three bullet-proof helmets and visors, three walfcle-taffcie radios, three M16 automatic rifles, five magazines of ammunition, 100 loose rounds for each rifle and "suitable clothing for the three of us.'' Area Forecast A chance of scattered showers or thunderstorms through Friday. Lows Thursday night mid 60s. Highs Friday mid to upper 80s. Rainfall chances 30 per cent Thursday night and Friday. Detroit Case Sent Back to District Court Court Strikes Down Controversial Busing Plan, 5-4 Royal Visitor— A delighted Queen Mother, Elizabeth of Great Britain greets wellwishers lining a windy Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto during her goodwill tour of Canada. WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court today struck down by a 5-4 vote, a controversial desegregation plan calling for busing pupils across school district lines in the Detroit area. The decision sent the case back to U.S. Distriqt Court in Detroit, where the plan was approved two years ago by the late Judge Steven J. Roth. Another judge will now consider the matter. The Supreme Court said Roth erred in ordering a desegregation plan embracing both Detroit and its suburbs without any evidence as to whether the suburban districts were segregated. The lower court was directed to formulate desegregation plan for the city itself. Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, speaking for the court, said federal courts may not impose multidistrict desegregation plans where there is no finding that all the school districts included had failed to operate integrated school systems. Justice Thurgood Marshall, the only black member of the court, dissented, saying: "We deal here with the right of all of our children, whatever their race, to an equal start in life and to an equal opportunity to reach their full potential as citizens. Those children who have been denied that right in the past deserve better than to see fences thrown up to deny them that right in the future." Also dissenting were Justices William 0. Douglas, William J. Brennan and Byron R. White. Besides its impact in Detroit, the decision could affect schools in Louisville and Jefferson County, Ky., which were ordered by a federal judge Tuesday to merge in order to achieve better racial balance. It will have more indirect affects in many other cities. Roth's decision had called for busing of pupils in a three- county area around Detroit. It was appealed by Michigan officials and by suburban school districts, but not by the Detroit district, which is about 64 per cent black. The same question came before the Supreme Court last year in a case arising in Richmond, Va. The court deadlocked 4-4 in the Richmond case, with Justice Lewis Powell, a former member of the Richmond school board, abstaining. The tie vote had the effect of upholding the lower court order for cross-district busing in the Richmond area but did not establish any precedent for future cases. A district court order for cross-district busing in the Richmond area was overturned by a federal appeals court. The tie vote by the Supreme Court had the effect of upholding the appeals court order barring cross-district busing in the Richmond area but did not establish any precedent for future cases. Roth said in his decision: "Governmental actions and inactions at all levels, federal, state and local, have combined with those of private organizations and (real estate) brokerage firms to establish and maintain the pattern of residential segregation throughout the Detroit metropolitan area." He said the Detroit school board had regularly bused black students "past or away from closer white schools with space." "The board has created and altered attendance zones, maintained and altered grade structures, and created and altered feeder school patterns in a manner which has had the natural, probable and actual effect of continuing black and white pupils in racially segregated schools," Roth said. State attorneys said it had not been shown that school officials or any state agency attempted to establish or change population patterns to affect racial balance. Roth's decision was upheld by the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati. The Nixon administration urged the Supreme Cpurt to reverse its decision, saying not enough evidence had been presented to show that a desegregation plan crossing school district lines was necessary.

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page