Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa on July 23, 1974 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa · Page 1

Publication:
Location:
Carroll, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, July 23, 1974
Page:
Page 1
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 1 article text (OCR)

Iowa a place to grew Carroll Daily Times Herald Vol. 105 — No. 171 Return Postage Guaranteed Carroll, Iowa, Tuesday, July 23, 1974 — Ten Pages Delivered by Carrier Boy Each Evening for 60c Per Week Copy County School Unit Agrees to Rectify Situation Excess Funds Action Not Legal, Board Told By Jim Jenkins The Carroll County Board of Education was told Monday night that its action last month to return $185,000 in excess funds to the public school districts in the county "appears to have no legal basis." Elizabeth Nolan, an assistant attorney general, told the board "you just can't give it (the money) away to the school districts." William Kelso, representing the state auditor's office at the meeting, said the board must receive a service for the money. The board voted June 17 to turn the $185,066.12, the amount of the balance on hand at the end of 1973, over to the public school districts to help them in developing special education programs. Miss Nolan, Kelso and Dick Winders, assistant attorney general, were dispatched to the special meeting Monday after William Comito, Carroll, met with State Auditor Lloyd R. Smith and Attorney General Richard Turner Monday afternoon. Comito, who had sought a petition for the removal of the board from^Carroll County Attorney Ronald F. Eich, carried his plea to the state offices Monday. Comito had requested the petition after it was learned the records in the education office had not been kept current and could not be audited. The record in question is the office's warrant register in which warrants for bills paid, issued by the county auditor's office, are to be posted. The warrant register is kept to keep track of spending against the budget. Kelso warned the board Monday that "my boss (Smith) is slightly disturbed." Smith said Monday afternoon after meeting with Comito that the board's accounting procedures "are the worst I have seen in the time I have been state auditor." Talking of the condition of the records Monday night, Kelso warned, "if something is not done, if we have to reappear one more time, we're going to have to go after somebody. I'm trying to forewarn you that we will recommend turning the matter over to the attorney general's office if we must make another report and find too many errors." Kelso asked why the warrant register had not been posted monthly, and the board responded it assumed the warrants were being posted on a monthly basis. Board member Robert Center, Glidden, told Kelso that the New Cypriot Chief Named in Move for Accord With Turks By The Associated Press The Greek Cypriot who took over the Cyprus presidency from the ousted Archbishop Makarios resigned today and a prominent figure in the old regime was named to replace him, Cyprus radio said. The move was seen as an attempt to reach a peace accord with Turkey. The British reported a new. outbreak of fighting on Turkey's invasion beachhead in northern Cyprus hear Kyrenia despite a cease-fire, agreement accepted by all sides. Shortly before these developments, Turkey's deputy prime minister, Necmettin Erbankan, renewed an old Turkish demand for partition of the Mediterranean island between Greek and Turkish Cypriots. Named to take over the Cypriot presidency was Glafocs derides, who was speaker of the House of Representatives before Makarios was overthrown July 15 in a coup by the national guard under the leadership of regular Greek army officers. The Cyprus radio broadcast said derides already had been sworn into office. derides, a lawyer, headed intercommunal talks with the Turks under Makarios. Further details on the fighting were not available, but the ministry said the evacuation of about 2,500 refugees was continuing at a beach six miles east of Kyrenia. United Nations forces reported Monday night that the fighting on the island had stopped and the cease-fire was holding. More fighting was expected, particularly between the Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities. Turkish Premier Bulent Ecevit said if either Turkish forces or the Turkish Cypriots were attacked, "we will shoot back." U.N. Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim announced he would double the 2,300-man U.N. peacekeeping force on Cyprus. Brtain said it expected negotiations for a peace settlement to open in Geneva today or Wednesday. But it appeared that the talks would be Cyprus, See Page 2 Elevator Shortage Blamed on Operator's Losses on 'Board' By Harrison Weber (Iowa Daily Press Association) DBS MOINES - A shortage of 46,801 bushels of corn, valued in excess of $100,000, in an eastern Iowa grain elevator is blamed on the operator's losses in playing the Board of Trade. At a hearing in Des Moines on Monday, Wallace Dick, head of the commission's warehouse division, said the shortage at Brauns Feed and Grain Company at Conesville, in Muscatine County, represented 88.6 per cent of the warehouse's total obligations. At the conclusion of the hearing, Gary Ankeny, counsel for the commission, asked that the firm's grain warehouse license be revoked. No one was present to represent Brauns. Dick testified that the firm had "withheld and falsified records." The commerce commission official said a shortage of 3,858 bushels of corn had been discovered last February but Barry Brauns, the warehouseman, had retrieved a 5,000 bushel warehouseman receipt from a local bank to clear that shortage. Subsequently, however, Dick said it was discovered that the commission did not have access to all of the firm's records during that examination in February. A second examination, from June 19 through June 25, uncovered the 46,801 bushel ' shortage, according to Dick. That examination was conducted jointly by Robert McDowell, a federal examiner and Edward Carter, an investigator for the state. A report was introduced as evidence in which Brauns. reportedly told McDowell that he "had played the Board of Trade and lost." Brauns said he had to sell grain in order to payoff debts. Dick also told the commission that members of the Brauns family had reportedly put up $90,000 in collateral to cover the outstanding debts. But Dick advised against issuing a warehouse license to Brauns "because he had willfully and knowingly withheld information from the examiners." The commerce commission has taken the case under advisement. Under Fire — For reportedly making statements favoring impeachment of President Nixon, House Judiciary Committee chairman Peter Rodino (D-N.J.j has come under fire by White House forces charging he is too biased to remain on the committee and should resign. Woman Dies in Fall From Van Truck Spills Corn — —Staff Photo CAULTER, Iowa (AP)-Karen Kemp, 27, Ottosen, was killed Monday when she fell from a van and it tipped over on her. Authorities said Mrs. Kemp's husband, Robert, was driving the van on a private lane near Caulter when the accident occurred. board had rehired Superintendent Lyle 0. Tenold with a censure and with the understanding the books would be taken care of. "To guarantee this we had the auditor come back in July," Center said, "and it's a good thing we did." Joe Curnyn, a field auditor from the state auditor's office, attempted to check the books on June 28 and July 15 and found both times the records were incomplete. The board Monday night authorized Office Secretary Edie Hobermann to hire necessary personnel to post the warrants and bring the register up to date by Aug. 15 Impeach Strategy is Studied WASHINGTON (AP) — With the evidence in and the arguments made, members of the House Judiciary Committee are turning to tactics and strategy in preparation for their crucial decision on whether President Nixon should be impeached. At party caucuses and private meetings being held regularly. Democrats are searching for the best way to bring articles of impeachment to a vote while Republicans are planning countermoves. Democrats found' themselves divided at a caucus Monday night over whether to plunge in with a proposed article of impeachment when debate opens Wednesday, or start with a general resolution on impeachment and leave specific articles to be proposed later. Republicans are opposing suggestions that one article be voted on before another is offered, preferring to have all the voting at the end. They don't like the prospect of a snowball effect in case an early article is approved. Also proving troublesome to the Democrats is the order in which they will propose articles. Some favor going with the strongest first while others would prefer to test the waters with a marginal one. A new dimension was added to the debate and voting proce- Panel, See Page 2 and requested Board President Dr. Michael J. Hall, Carroll, to check whether the deadline is being met. Miss Nolan told the board she had been sent here because there had been several requests for attorney general opinions on actions of the board and to conduct an inquiry to determine if grounds existed for the removal of the board. After the board's June action when it voted to turn over the amount of the balance to the four public school districts, County Auditor William C. Arts Jr. refused to issue a warrant for the $185,000 since he claimed to do so would have given the board a deficit. Arts said the school system's budget had not included receipts and said that to issue a warrant for that amount would have left the system $104,000 in the red. Miss Nolan said Monday Arts was on "good ground" to refuse to issue the warrant. She suggested the board amend its budget so the balance money could be used for specific programs in the county's schools. "You could work with the districts in joint programs and supplement the programs," she said, "but you can't just give the money away." The balance on hand was labeled as excessive by Smith when he presented the results of a special audit in February. The board had voted to give the money to the school districts in an attempt to rectify the audit situation. After Miss Nolan had told the board there was no legal basis for its action last month, the board voted to rescind the action it had taken, and said it would set up a meeting with the school .boards of the districts in the county to develop specific programs for the money. After the representatives from the state offices left the Board, Sec Page 2 Rehearse for Melodrama — -Staff Photo Rehearsing for the Carroll Community Theater melodrama "Adrift in New York", to be presented July 31, Aug. 2 and Aug. 3, Marv Reiter (left), Mrs. Louis Haverman and Mrs. Roy Olson listen for the knock of the yillian, demanding the hand of Reiter's daughter in exchange for the rent money. Tickets for Sale on 'Adrift in New York,' CCTs Melodrama City's Income From a Variety of Sources By Don Davis Thirty-four per cent of Carrolls' $3 million-plus budget comes from property tax collected by Carroll County, according to City Manager Arthur Gute and City Clerk Leon Oswald. Property tax is the largest single source of income available to the city. You have to go all the way down to 8.6 per cent from federal revenue sharing funds for the next largest source. These figures come from the estimated budget for the "year" running from Jan. 1, 1974, to June 30,1975. The 18-month year is meant to change the city's budget year from a calendar-year basis to a fiscal year, from July 1 to June 30, to comply with Iowa law. Budget, See Page 2 Tickets for the Carroll Community Theatre's melodrama, "Adrift in New York," are now available at the Elk's Club or from any member of the cast, according to Mrs. L. A. Smith, ticket chairman. The production will be presented at the Elks Club, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, July 31 and August 2 and 3. Seating is limited, according to Mrs. Smith. "Adrift in New York" is the tale of pure, sweet Nellie who is lured by the villain, Desperate Desmond, away from the safety of her stern father Silas and her old maid Aunt Sarah to the big city where she ends up on th6 bowery and meets several tough characters who entertain her and the audience with musical numbers and dance routines. After several ordeals, 'frightened' Nellie is finally saved by Jack, the strong, brave hero. Refreshments will be served at the Elks during the performance and the audience is encouraged to participate in the show by supporting the heroine with cheers and discouraging the villain with hisses and boos. James Knott is director of the melodrama, assisted by Mrs. Ronald Schechtman. Mrs. Don Severin is the musical director. Mrs. Mai Foley plays the part of Nellie, Steve Sunderman is the hero, Jack, Bud Knott is Desperate Desmond and Silas and Aunt Sarah are played by Marv Reiter and Mrs. Roy Olson. Other cast members are Mrs. Louis Haverman, John Peterson, Jay Krogh, Bob McKone, Mrs. John Wagner, Pat Lehman, Shannon Gaffney, Kevin Throckmorton and Mary Gaffney. Denny Bierl, production co-ordinator. reports that all crews are finalizing plans for dress rehearsal and the performance nights next week. Committee chairmen are Roy Olson, sets; Mrs. Tom Gaffney, costumes; Cathy Cawley, makeup; Marge Reiter and Peg Reiter, properties; Jay Krogh, lights; Mrs. L. A. Smith, tickets; Mrs. Greg Stoelk, Mrs. Frank Comes and Mrs. Robert Blincow, publicity; and Mrs. Pat Lehman, stage manager. People desiring tickets may call the Elks Club for reservations. The ticket price is $2.00. Curtain time is 9 p.m. all three nights, Wednesday, July 31; Friday, August 2; and Saturday, August 3. Area Forecast Partly cloudy Tuesday night and Wednesday. Lows Tuesday night 65 to 70. Warm Wednesday, highs in lower 90s. In Episcopal Church Plan to Ordain 11 Women Sets Off Storm State Trooper Larry Long, Carroll, fills out accident report Monday morning as Donald Fonda, Carroll, looks into the truck he had been driving that overturned. About 450 bushels of shelled corn spilled into the ditch beside the road. Fonda was bruised on the arm and taken to a Carroll doctor's office. NEW YORK (AP) —A storm whirled through the Episcopal Church today over plans for 11 women to be ordained in defiance of church disciplines. One critic called the move an invitation to anarchy. Several bishops in the women's home dioceses said they would not be allowed to function as priests. "The tragic point of it is that if these very fine, qualified people go ahead and supercede the laws of the church, I can't go along with it," said Bishop Philip F. McNairy, of the Minneapolis diocese, where iwo of the women reside. He said they would be barred from serving there as priests. Similar reactions came from other bishops in charge of the home diocese of the women listed for an irregular ordination ceremony in Philadelphia next Monday. "I have no doubt* of their sincerity, but I have grave doubts about its practical wisdom and its effect on other women standing in line waiting for the priesthood," said Bishop George E. Rath, of the Newark, N.J., diocese, where another candidate lives. He and other bishops contacted said they would restrict activities in their dioceses of women taking part. The bishops said they themselves favor changes in church regulations to permit ordination of women, but would not approve it without that authorization. "The tragedy of it is that the church is not ready to do what I think we should have done a long time ago," said Bishop McNairy. He said he saw the planned ordination as "dividing, hurting and angering some people and saddening others." In Austin, Tex., Mrs. Dorothy Faber, editor of the Christian Challenge, said if the planners of the irregular service "get away with it, then the laws of the church don't mean a thing." The Christian Challenge is published by an independent Episcopal group, the Foundation for Christian Theology. In Philadelphia, a local pastor, the Rev. George Rutler, said it would provoke a schism. Another pastor called the planned ordination arrogant and irresponsible. Under the church canons, candidates for ordination must be recommended by their home bishop, the standing diocesan committee and the pastor and vestry of the home parish. So far as could be ascertained, home bishops of the w o m e n involved—and the standing committees—have not given that approval. According to some bishops, this could subject the women ordained to suspension from the ministry, or trial and removal. They come from seven states. However, planners of the rebel ordination service—scheduled to be led at Philadelphia's Church of the Advocate by three inactive bishops—maintain that the recommendations from home dioceses are only advisory. The church's Presiding Bishop Jphn Maury Allin was reported trying to persuade two retired bishops involved, Daniel Corrigan, now of Denver, and Edward Randolph Welles, now of Manset, Maine, not to go through with the service. A 1972 poll showed that a 74 to 61 majority of the Episcopal House of Bishops favor changes to allow ordination of women.

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page