Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa on July 5, 1974 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
July 5, 1974

Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa · Page 1

Publication:
Location:
Carroll, Iowa
Issue Date:
Friday, July 5, 1974
Page:
Page 1
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 1 article text (OCR)

Iov\e a place to Carroll Daily Times Herald Vol. 105 — No. 157 Return Postage Guaranteed Carroll, Iowa, Friday, July 5, 1974 — Ten Pages Delivered by Carrier Boy Each Evening for 60c Per Week Single Copy Bond Issue Tentatively Set for Late in Fall Council Approves Recreation Building Plan The Carroll City Council has given approval for the preliminary planning for a community recreation building to be built in the Graham Park area. A bond issue on the proposed project has been tentatively set for late this fall. Sixty per cent of the voters participating in the election would have to approve the project before it could become a reality. The proposed building would incorporate a gymnasium, an indoor swimming pool, an auditorium, little theater, handball courts, exercise and weight rooms and other facilities the planning committee feel should be incorporated. The council, meeting in special session Wednesday evening, appointed City Attorney Ronald H. Schechtman and Councilman Darwin Hunger to serve as co-chairmen for the project. Mayor William S. Farner and Councilman Dr. L. B. Westendorf were appointed by the council to head the advisory board for the project. The site for the proposed facility is east of Grant Road and north of Seventh Street on ground already owned by the city. The site is adjacent to the football and baseball stadiums which have sufficient parking to handle large crowds. Mayor Farner indicated a public meeting will be held in the near future to discuss the exact facilities the center should contain. Following that meeting, members of the city council and the project committee as well as the architect to be employed will tour various recreational facilities in other cities. It was pointed out at Wednesday's council meeting that the gymnasium should be built with sufficient seating capacity to allow its use by both Carroll and Kuemper High Schools. With the introduction of girls basketball and the already popular boys programs in Carroll, it was pointed out that the existing gymnasium facilities at both schools are extremelv overcrowded. The preliminary proposals also indicate the swimming pool could also be incorporated into the educational and athletic Body of Lyle Ford Found in Car Trunk The body of Lyle Duane Ford, 38, of Omaha, formerly of Carroll, was found Thursday in the trunk of a burning car in Omaha. He was a son of Mrs. Lillian Ford of Omaha and the late Wilbur Leroy Ford. A preliminary autopsy revealed a skull fracture. Gun Shot Fatal for C.R. Man Charles Roy Hess, 23, of Coon Rapids, died Thursday afternoon in a Des Moines hospital of a gunshot wound to the head. The shooting took place in his parents' home in Coon Rapids about noon Thursday. Sheriff John G. Longnecker said Friday .the wound apparently was self-inflicted. Hess, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harris Hess, was taken to St. Anthony Regional Hospital here immediately after the incident, and was transferred to Methodist Hospital in Des Moines. He died at the Des Moines hospital about 4:50 p.m. Hess was ) alone in his parents' home at 301 North Street when the shooting occurred, Longnecker said. His father was in the yard and entered the house when he heard the shot. Longnecker said Hess was shot with a .32 cal. handgun. Longnecker said his office is investigating the shooting. A spokesman for the Hess family, Wesley Thomas, Coon Rapids, said funeral arrangements for Hess are pending at the Ohde Funeral Home in Coon Rapids. Hess was a graduate of the Coon Rapids High School and had been attending the Hess, See Page 2 However, officials said he could have died of smoke inhalation. Police were questioning two juveniles. Residents of the trailer court area said they had been awakened earlier by three men who apparently were arguing about an auto accident. Funeral services for Ford will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Trinity Lutheran Church in Omaha. Interment will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in Westlawn Cemetery, Glidden. Arrangements are in charge of the Roeder Mortuary, 50th and Ames Avenue, Omaha. Ford was born at Carroll May 31,1936. He is survived by four children, Tamy, 11; Robin, 8; Elisabeth, 7; and David. 4; his mother, of 6735 North 34th Street, Omaha; four sisters, Mrs. Doane (Verna) West of Council Bluffs, Mrs. Lonne (Janice) Mongar and Mrs. Bill (Karan) Mantzaris of Omaha, and Mrs. Darel (Elaine) Jenssen of Treynor; and three brothers, John of Petaluma, Calif.; George of Lafayette, La.; and Gary of San Rafael, Calif. In addition to his father, a brother, Ronald, preceded . him in death. Jefferson Youth Drowiis FORT DODGE, Iowa (AP)— Thomas Allen Martin, 17, Jefferson, drowned Thursday in a swimming accident at Badger Lake north of Fort Dodge. Authorities said Martin, his wife and a neighbor couple, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Rains Jr., were on an outing at the lake when the two men decided to go swimming. Rains told authorities he heard Martin call for help but thought he was returning to shore. Ronald Schechtman Darwin Bunger Sen. Humphrey's Finances Probed NEW YORK (AP) —Thefi- nances of Sen. Hubert H. Humphrey's 1968 and 1972 presidential campaigns are under investigation by special Watergate prosecutor Leon Jaworski, according to CBS television. The network also reported Thursday that sources in Jaworski's office said investigators were concentrating on contributions to the Minnesota Democrat from figures in the dairy industry. A Senate Watergate committee report has said Humphrey got $200,000 from the same dairy sources who contributed to President Nixon's re-election campaign. Humphrey expressed the belief that he had not done anything wrong. In an interview at his Wayerly, Minn., home Humphrey told CBS he lived in Wright County, the largest dairy county in the nation. "For one to say that the contribution in the dairy cooperative to Hubert Humphrey was buying a bill or a vote would be the same thing as saying a contribution in Texas from an independent oil company was buying a vote," said Humphrey. Humphrey also denied reports that he accepted $50,000 in cash from Howard Hughes in exchange for helping the billion-aire industrialist halt underground nuclear testing in Nevada, where Hughes has extensive-holdings. "Mr. Hughes' man, Mr. Maheu, did present the case to me," Humphrey said. "I sent it to the Atomic Energy Commission. The AEC ruled against it and that was the last of it." Robert A. Maheu formerly headed the Nevada operations owned by Hughes. Humphrey said charges of other corporate contributions also were being investigated "and properly should." Asked about his donation to his 1972 campaign of $110.000 of his own money that was held in a blind trust, he said: "I felt when I gave my own money I was doing something that was a sacrifice and so help me, I've really been in a kind of tizzy about it. I'd never believe that anybody would be criticized for giving his own money to his own campaign, except possibly by your wife." Managing the trust was Dwayne Andreas, a Minneapolis financier and close friend of Humphrey who goes on trial next week on charges related to alleged illegal contributions to the Minnesota Senator's 1968 campaign. The government has alleged that Andreas, board chairman of First Interoceanic Corp., contributed $100,000 in Humphrey's behalf to four Illinois organizations through the firm. programs of the schools. The auditorium, little theater and other facilities would provide space for various types of meetings, both large and small, plays, musical performances and the like. Mayor Farner said Friday morning that Schechtman has been working for some time with Iowa Senator Dick Clark and U. S. Rep. William J. Scherle to determine if federal aid will be available for such a project. Schechtman said he will continue his efforts to secure federal funds to defray Sign Final Papers on Courtview Final closing papers on the Courtview apartments, a facility for retired citizens of Carroll and surrounding area, have been signed, Robert McKone, manager of First Federal Savings and Loan Association, announced Friday. First Federal issued the mortgage on the 56-apartment unit with the Federal Housing Authority insuring the loan, McKone said. Rehabilitation of the former McNabb building in the downtown section of Carroll, owned by Dr. Leo Kuker. was begun 20 months ago under the Federal Housing Act. The Carroll project is "one of the best rehabilitation projects in the State of Iowa," officials of the Housing and Urban development office said. Location of the project in the business district provides easy access to the shopping area, library, churches and social functions, they pointed out. Part of the facility will be devoted to commercial and medical offices to allow for additional activity in the area. The project offers three two bedroom apartments. 18 one-bedroom units and 35 efficiency apartments. Initial rent up of units was started several months ago and occupancy has been gradual and consistent, McKone said. At the present time 40 units are occupied and only two one-bedroom and Courtview, See Page 2 Area Forecast Fair Friday night, lows in mid 60s. Becoming partly cloudy Saturday and warmer, highs 90 to 96. a portion ot the cost of the proposed project. in other action at Wednesday's meeting, the council approved employing the architectural firm of Foss, Engelstand & Heil of Sioux City to prepare a plan to incorporate the work necessary to give the exterior of the present library building a facelifting while preserving its present historical design. The building will be used by the Carroll County Historical Society as a museum after the library moves to the new community center now under construction. The council directed City Manager Arthur Gute and Public Works Administrator Leo Clark to work with representatives of the engineering firm of Henningson, Durham and Richardson of Omaha to survey areas within the Ring Road that are not presently in that beautification project to determine what additional improvements are needed. They are to report their findings, together with cost estimates for the projects, to the council at a later date. Gute and Chief of Police Maury Dion were also asked by the council to make a survey of all metered and nonmetered parking provided by the city in the central business district, as well as private commercial off-street parking in the business district. The survey will be used to determine present and future parking needs of the city. The next council meeting will be held at 5 p.m., Monday, July 8th at the City Hall. Stories, Tutoring — Mrs. Don Templemeyer (above) reads to a group of children during Holy Spirit School's story hour, which is being held every Tuesday morning during the summer in the school library. Mrs. Francis Baldus also assists with the second annual summer program. Books may be checked out for use at home. The story hours are open to any interested youngsters. Kathleen Nieland. (at right) employed by the Neighborhood Youth Corps, tutors a Holy Spirit student, Craig Schroeder. son of Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Schroeder of Carroll. Miss Nieland, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Don Nieland of Carroll, is a Kuemper High School junior. This is the first year summer tutoring has been available to any area school through the NYC, administered by the local Community Opportunities, Inc. office. —Staff Photo Two' sessions are running from June 17 to July 15 and July 16 to Aug. 12. Six children receive individualized instruction each day. Armory Looted; Enough Arms for a Full Company LOS ANGELES (AP) — Enough weapons and ammunition to outfit a full Army company have been stolen from a National Guard armory in suburban Compton, authorities reported today. "It is frightening to think that this (arsenal) would fall into the wrong hands," said Compton Police Sgt. W.H. Williams. "It appears that the theft was a highly organized thing." Police and FBI agents refused to speculate on who may have been responsible for the theft. But authorities said they were investigating routinely the possibility that a terrorist or radical group may have been involved. The firing pins were missing from the stolen weapons, the Army said, but police officials added that replacements could be obtained easily. A list of missing items issued by military authorities included thousands of rounds of ammunition, eighty M16 rifles, seventy M60 machine guns, eight M79 grenade launchers, one .45caliber automatic and 15 bayonets. Ammunition taken from the armory Wednesday was listed as 3,360 rounds of 5.50mm rounds, 1,000 rounds of 7.58mm bullets, 45 rounds of .45-caliber rounds, 40 grenades, 16 smoke grenades and 100 riot grenades. They said 75 gas masks also were missing. An FBI agent said the quantity of weapons and ammunition could fully equip an Army combat company. Investigators said entry to the armory was through a side door and a vacuum drill was used to pierce the weapons vault, which an armory ser- geant recalled locking at 10 a.m. Wednesday. An Army official said that the firing pins had been removed before the weapons were placed in storage in a vault. The pins were kept in another vault, which apparently was not entered. Lt. Col. Andrew Wolf, public relations officer for the Military Department in Sacramento, said in a telephone interview that this is standard practice when armories are left unattended. Wolf said the Army could not afford to post round-the-clock security guards at state armories and they are usually left unattended after normal business hours. There were no Army personnel at the Compton armory — where, ironically, a silent alarm system is currently being installed — from Wednesday morning until Thursday night, when the theft was discovered, officials said. Lebanon Vetoes Arms Bid Good Day to Fish — Louis Wiskus of Carroll fishes for catfish at the Swan Lake swimming area. Wiskus said the fish rest on the sandy beach until swimmers arrive. Wednesday's overcast and rainy morning hindered early swimmers but extended the hours of fishing for Wiskus. By The Associated Press The Lebanese government vetoed a Palestinian request to the Arab League for $20 million worth of antiaircraft missiles and other heavy weapons to protect refugee camps in Lebanon against Israeli air attacks, Beirut newspapers reported today. The. reports said Premier Takiedden Solh told the emergency meeting of the 21-nation league in Cairo Wednesday and Thursday that any defense system contributed by the other Arab states would have to be placed outside the camps and put under control of the Lebanese army. The Lebanese delegation countered with a $1 billion armament plan, the papers reported. Mahmoud Riad, the league's secretary-general, announced Thursday night that the Cairo meeting adopted resolutions "capable of confronting the situation in Lebanon." But the Beirut papers said the dispute between the Lebanese government and the Palestinian guerrilla leaders forced the meeting to postpone a decision on any concrete action until an Arab summit meeting in Morocco in September. The Palestinian guerrillas completely control the refugee camps in Lebanon under an agreement reached with the government after civil war in 1969 between the guerrillas and the Lebanese army. Many Lebanese complain tha't this has resulted in the establishment of "states within a state," and tension between the Palestinians and the Lebanese often is high. Riad said the Arab League meeting rejected the Palestinians' call for a renewal of the oil embargo against the United States. He declined to give details of what financial, political and military support the resolutions promised but said they were ''aimed at reaffirming Arab solidarity with Lebanon and defending its lands and national sovereignty and coasolidating its positions against Israeli aggression." Solh said his goverment was satisfied with the outcome. But Zuhair Mohsen, the Palestine Liberation Organization's representative, was skeptical. "Arab League countries have adopted thousands of resolutions," he commented to newsmen. "What matters is their implementation. So let us wait and see." Elsewhere: President Hafez Assad of Syria said his government and Egypt's will attend the Geneva peace conference with the intent of making it a success, but both countries will be ready to renew the war against Israel. Palestinian sources in Beirut reported that an old foe of Israel, the former Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin el Husseini, died Thursday of a heart attack. He was 77 and had been ill for some time in the American University Hospital in the Lebanese capital. Haj Amin was the political and religious leader of the Moslems in Palestine between the two world wars and organized or took a leading part in conspiracies and revolts against British and French influence in the Middle East and Jewish emigration to Palestine.

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page