WEDNESDAY. FEBRUARY 10, 1971 THE TIPTON (INDIANA) DAILT TRIBUNE Farmers Hold hog Price Trend of'71 WASHINGTON —• Fifth District Congressman Elwood H. "Bud" Hillis (R-Ind.) (far right) participates in. a program for freshmen Members of Congress held here recently. With Congressman Hillis are, 0eft to right) House Republican Floor Leader Gerald Ford of Michigan; President of the Capitol Hill Republican Club Congressman William Broomfield of Michigan and Secretary of Transportation John Volpe. Managers of the 48 Heindld Hog Markets, the world's largest hog marketing organization, agreed at their annual meeting Saturday, Feb. 6, that farmers hold the trend of 1971 hog prices in their own hands. .Heinold reported its largest volume on record during 1970, the firm's 20th anniversary year, going well over the three million hog mark. The.48 markets in- six midwest states bought a. total of 3,252,124 hogs, a.10 per cent increase over the 2,944,854 purchased-during 1969. Among the market managers attending the annual meeting in Kouts, Ind., was Tom Crouch, manager of the .Tipton market. Managers agreed with the appraisal of President. Harold Heinold that more factors than usual are present to influence 1971. hog prices. "But the most important factor in maintaining a profitable price for hog producers during the coming months can be con-, trolled by the _ farmers themselves," Heinold said. .. "If farmers will refuse to let brief periods of higher prices in "February and early.March influence them into feeding hogs to 'heavier weights, and they con- Page 8 tinue to market them at 220 pounds or less, they can anticij- pate a stronger market next Juj- iy and' August. If they donft there's no telling what can happ pen to the market." '" Heinold's hog volume during 1970 was over a -million more than that of the largest terminal market.' Sioux City, Ia^, lejd all terminal markets with 909,417 hogs. ' Heinold's new cattle .division, which completed it's first fullyes r • of operation, also showed growt I. It bought 70,047 head in-197). Harold Heinold predicted greater growth for the cattle'division in 1971 due to the addition of more buyers, a more aggressive "at-'-' quisition program, and more packer customers.. • In 20 years of existence, Heinold has grown from one market at Kouts, Lnd., which bought .35, 000 hogs in 1950, to 46 markets In six states handling oyer thrjae million hogs. An affilfate firm, Heinold Commodities, Inc., also continued its growth in 1970. The firm, one of the largest members of the Clii DOES A; D&tTft) ©BUON CRN TILL M CftU WIU HOLD LESS... |p; OUT.;.. .T.vnu. HOLD M0R6! YJH1CH 16 1HE' MOST .MOST MTgU.l<S6Uf AND • ensiesr-ro-rSRiu! £6 M .t RICE MITS. ? No! w-tftousfl.MOS ofwremt KIUD5 OF RICE VflRV; IN COLOR : FROM WHITE -TO SOLD TO BLACK.' vww QAiFwfiTiee OF CHEMICALS ARE CDHTftlNfcP IN A. CUBIC MILS Of SEP* WATER? i4-3.ooo.ooo <owe OF SODIUM CKLORIOE,32£00'0"10NS OF BROMlDf AND OVER 5,000,000 TOMS OF MAGNESIUM...0£<5ID&5 OTHER METRLS IN LESSOR flMOUM1$i^i»« cago Mercantile Exchange, and a member of the Chicago Board of Trade, obtained membership on three large New York commodity exchanges during 1970. '.. $50.00 '"'"""};:•. no/00 w**** 8 1 PA Y TO THE ORDER OF . Fifty oni F J ,..E.r,.-)^' RE £ S. Bourff BOURFF FU,R"'TURE STORE ^ & *o«. lnd«.»» •. PURCHASE AT BOURFF^ TO BE USED Wtf^^ 88 ^ YES, it's true.... if you make a purchase at Bourffs during the next 3 days, you will receive an award check like the one pictured, to use as you wish for any item in our store! HERE'S HOW IT WORKS: Each item in our store is marked with a special AWARD TAG ... such as Hie' one pictured on the Early American SOFA to the right. The tag has the regular tale price and Hie AWARD amount marked on it. When this sofa or any merchandise is purchased during Hie next 3 days a check will be made to Hie buyer for the full amount indicated on the tag, in this case it would be a check for $50.00. It may be used within 30 days for any merchandise in our store. This . event will last for a limited, time only so hurry while selection is good. This is a legitimate offer not o phony gimmick ad, prices are not marked up for this event.' Thurs., Fri., Sat, Feb. 11,12 & 13 OPEN Mon thru Sat 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Fridays 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. BOURFF FURNITURE CORNER Of FIRST* MAIN STREETS 'DRIVE A LITTLE. . .SAVE A LOT" ELWOOD * The History (continued from page 3) the Day School took place this year. The Voters decided to' establish a Kindergarten in September 1969,' and to drop the 7th and • 8th grades. Mr, Weiss, principal,..- resigned to enter Springfield Seminary to prepare for the ministry. Richard-Weg• ner, a River •was installed|; on July 27, Workshop was ary ,8-9 for,' • Forest, graduate, | as school principal An Evangelism held on Febru- jthe Circuit. During the Lenten season, St. Joseph Academy Choir sang at a service and in [March, Tipton High -School Choir, sang at a Sunday Morning Service, Holy Communion is" being offered every -Sunday, except the fifth-Sunday of the month. In March 1969, family pictures were taken for the Church's Pictoriai Directory. As a Community activity," Pastor Blester and the Senior Choir took dart in the Good Friday Community Service at Christian ;Church] the following, year the, service] was held in the church. The name of the y6ung people's group was changed from Walther League to Emanuel Fellowship League, ' As a part of the on-go.ingmini- stry of the j :hurch, the Dial-A- Prayer program was begun on March 22, 1970. This program consists of ja one minute devotion arid prayer, which changes daily, In February, .Christian Sex Education Classes were conducted at the church to which the •public was invited. Several men from the congregation attended a Men's Lenten Fellowship Dinner # at St. John's School on March 13, Which was for all men of the community. - The - second Folk Service, in vhich the young peor •;. pie take part, was held on May 8 with the- celebration, of Holy Communion. In the fall of 1970, - some'of the members helped with the Migrant Ministry efforts in Tipton, Parochial School •In 1890 • "Rev. Schedler, the first resident pastor of St. John's Lutheran Congregation, opened, the firstsparochial school inTip- ' ton County. The school was held in the-churdh building, located about. four and one-half miles . southwest of Tipton. There.be ing ho Lutheran organization in Tipton, children of families living in this jcity and northeast of it, attended jthis parochial school -until a Tipton school was established. Rev. Jaus also taught school. J • 1896 - From the minutes of Phone 552-2255 at Your Friendly Bank FARMERS LOAN & TRUST COMPANY ijlO E.Jeff. St.. Tipton. Indiana August 2, 1896, they learn that benches and blackboards were to be provided, the latter made, and a school was to be opened September 1-1, 1896, Rev, Boe- . ster was to teach, In September, August Pape was chosen as school or Sunday School superintendent in the. Tipton school. 1898 - Following Rev. H. C. Jaus's release to Allen County, Rev, Boester conducted a short spring term of school at St. John's and a fall term at the newly organized Tipton church. 1901 - Rev, 1LE, Stuehm was called to be the first pastor of the amalgamated St, John's and Emanuel Congregations and in September the first full term school was opened by him, enrollment about 20,- At. first all religious instruction was given in the German language and the secular branches were taught in the English language, the Indiana public school text books being used. . During Rev, Stuehm's P3storate the first English classes from this school were confirmed, beginning with the class of 1903, There were also some German classes. 1905 - Rev, Baer gradually introduced more instruction in the English language and in 1908 the last German class of the ' school was confirmed, and also an English class. Up to 1915 all pastors of Emanuel had full charge of teaching the parochial school, . ' • ' 1915-1917 - Edna Doversber- ger, first full term teacher of the secular branches, 1926-194-1 - Frederick Witte, the) second called teacher, was successful with his children's choir, which duringhis lastyears •sang beautifully in two and three parts, 1948-195-1 - Organization of : Parent Forum and Hot Lunch Program.; 1970-1971 -R.T.Wegner.Miss Dorothy Taggart, Mrs, Kay Mueller, Sunday School • Available records show that Rev,- H. C, Jaus organized the first Lutheran Sunday School in the'county-in 1893, This was ir the St-, John's congregation, and ' a German Library was connected with it. There were only three classes or groups in the first organization. / One, com- 'prised all the girls under confirmation age, another the boys of similar age, and the; third was the pastor's Bible Class for confirmed members, especially .for the young people. On the children's groups, cards bearing Scripture texts or portions of the "Six Chief Parts", as studied in the Catechism, each suitable for the age of the'ehild bearing it, were used. Premiums were given at the end of , 18 Sundays of attendance. The German language was used. A similar Sunday School was organized by Rev. H. Boester in Tipton in 1896'. Rev. -II. E. Stuehm, first pastor of the amalgamated congregation organized the present system of grade classes. Only two classes, that of Primary Sunday School and the pastor's Bible Class were at first taught in the German language. Later English was used in all the departments. SIX CONTRACTS HOUSTON- (UPP. - Pitcher • Larry Dierker, who finished the 1970 season with a 16-12 record following a 20-win season in 1969, Tuesday signed his 1971 contract „ with the Houston. Astros. Also agreeing to terms Tuesday were pitchers Wade Btesingame, Fred Gladding, Bill Brief, Mark Schaeffer and first baseman John Mayberry. .
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 8,600+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month