The Brazosport Facts from Freeport, Texas on December 29, 1960 · Page 11
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Brazosport Facts from Freeport, Texas · Page 11

Publication:
Location:
Freeport, Texas
Issue Date:
Thursday, December 29, 1960
Page:
Page 11
Start Free Trial
Cancel

HISTORIC FRENCH of NEW ORLEANS Hat-wearing horse pulls surrey 'down Bourbonitreet ^ J "• , , „ ^Hf*" ^^^ In Jackson Square an artist sketches St. Louis Cathedral, bulli in*1794 afteTflre nearly leveled town. It was originally a Spanishprovlnicial church of brick and stucco. T he French Quarter —the original New Orleans — remains an unusual town within the big city supported by tourist dollars and laws preventing reckless change to balcony-studded, century old buildings. Horse-pulled vegetable carts and tourist surreys set the gait for taxis and buses on its narrow streets just off Canal Street on the Mississippi River. "The Quarter —or Vieux Carre —is seven blocks wide and thirteen blocks long, taking up about as much of New Orleans as a toenail on a foot. Division of old, spacious homes made the Quarter an apartment house neighborhood .long ago. There is little parking space and less grass. As in early days, businesses front on the street with dwellings above and behind. The crazyquilt architecture results from 34 years of Spanish possession between two periods of French ownership. Buildings turn ornate balconies against the sidewalks, breathing free on spacious courtyards in the rear. The atmosphere attracts a varied citizenry — artists and writers (famous and starving) and beatniks, besides the less colorful. Almost unnoticed is an assortment of commerce in addition to many fine restaurants and Bourbon Street's honky tonk row. Probably its most famous landmark is the St. Louis Cathedral, constructed in 1794 in the heart of the original town. u sairtjj' rolls quietly down Royal Street < Spanish-style courtyards contain many apartments in manner con fusing to delivery men. Here a meter reader hunts apartment "C" BTOftlWUt^^rn^ ~~~— "ItatolTvegetable stands, bountifully laden, line Decatur Street side of French Market. Walter serves coffee and square, holeless doughnuts to patron of sidewalk stand at end of French Market. This Week'. PICTUBE SHOW by Al' Photographer Jlichara W. Tolbert

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free