Page 8 article text (OCR)
8 - Friday, Mar. 13, 1959 Redlands Daily Facts New Home For Day Nursery HOME THAT REDLANDS BUILT — This is the street view of the new Redlands Day Nursery building at 1041 East Brockton avenue on land donated by the University of Redlands. The nursery board of directors has arranged an open house Sunday, March 15, from 2 to 5 p.m. Attractively finished in a grooved dark wood, it was designed by Redlands Architect Clare Henry Day and constructed by Donald and McKee. The Day Nursery is a Community Chest agency and was formerly located at Orange street and Pearl. The need for more space and the impending freeway forced its relocation. Payment from the state and contributions from residents have completely paid for the new building, although some additional equipment is still needed. Photos by C. J. Kenison, Facts Staff Photographer REMBRANDTS OF TOMORROW — All is not play at the Day Nursery, especially for these pre-school and kindergarten age children shown doing brush painting. Some of these children should actually be in public school kindergarten, but since their parents are unable to transport them for the half-day sessions, they take their required kindergar ten work here. Joyce Congos, seen at right, has charge of this group. The older (6-7) children who come after their regular school hours until their parents can pick them up after work also use this room. All rooms in the Day Nursery are divided into age groupings and small tots rooms are split again into smaller groups. ANYBODY'S DREAM KITCHEN — This uncluttered kitchen has been well planned to prepare the two snacks and one full course meal provided to children at the Day Nursery each day. Mrs. Minnie Plumlee, shown in this picture, prepares a morning snack, a full dinner at noon and an afternoon refreshment. She has an all-electric kitchen, a three-compartment sink, eight burners for cooking and two large ovens for baking. Serving counters are provided through to the adjoining dining room. Cabinets are attractive birch and beamed ceilings add distinction. KIDS DO LIKE TO EAT — And the Day Nursery, which is holding open house Sunday, furnishes a full meal at noon plus morning and afternoon snacks to keep little stomachs happy. These are the two- and three-year-olds here in the small dining room built just for children. Mrs. Violet Brotherton, left, has charge of the two-year-olds, and Mrs. Nora Haugan, right, the threes. The dining room, which has an acoustical ceiling, doubles as an activity room. Licensed to care for 75 children, the average daily attendance has been 68 which the board says means "we can now take care of more hardship cases and still remain virtually self-supporting." The former nursery building was licensed for only 50 children- PLAY SPACE APLENTY — With California weather favoring outdoor play much of the year, the Day Nursery has provided large play areas separated by age group. This view shows a general play area for the 4-5-6 age group with swings, slides and various climbing type pieces. Sand is used for a base beneath these, but the little tots in the foreground have a black-topped area for their wheel toys. The separate play yards for the smaller children are on the east side of the building opening off their regular nursery rooms. • Not visible in this picture is a large play area under roof in the rear for use in bad weather and extremely hot weather. A play area for the extended day school children after their regular school hours is being developed to the northwest, but lack of funds has held it up. A lawn area is also provided. IT'S SAND MAN TTME — Every child cared for at the Day Nursery has a two-hour rest period each afternoon right in his own activity room. Cots are unfolded, quilts and sheets are taken from their individual lockers and "most of them" take a real nap rather than a rest. Each child has a locker (seen in rear of room) for his coat, quilt and sheet and books. Mrs. Mary Evans has headed the Day Nursery staff for 14 years and, in addition to those noted in other pictures, is assisted by AJine Tate, Genevieve Noren, Bonnie Sanders fcnd Bertha Mixer (part time). The Nursery was first established in 1906 and moved into its Orange street building in 1914.