The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas on March 31, 1985 · Page 14
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas · Page 14

Salina, Kansas
Issue Date:
Sunday, March 31, 1985
Page 14
Start Free Trial

Villanova finally reaches title game D.McClain to overcome a LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) - After four years of trying, Villanova forward Dwayne McClain was only 10 minutes away from playing for the championship of college basketball. He wasn't about to let the opportunity get away. Villanova held a 41-33 lead with 10:21 to play and got an added boost when Memphis State's Ail- American forward, Keith Lee, fouled out. But it took some late heroics by McClain Memphis State rally and give Villanova a 52-45 NCAA Tournament semifinal victory Saturday. "When Keith Lee fouled out, we stopped and took a deep breath," said McClain, who scored 10 of his 19 points down the stretch. "But we couldn't lose our poise. The seniors kept it and we looked for the good shots." Villanova Coach Rollie Massimino said his team got a little complacent. But he said it was a tribute to seniors McClain, Ed Pinckney and Gary McLain that the Wildcats came away with the victory. "It was such a big game, I guess they couldn't believe it (the lead)," Massimino said. "They got a little complacent, and that happens. They could have gotten very nervous and lost, but their experience came through." "We didn't enjoy the fact we lost the lead," said McLain, the team's point guard and floor leader. "We could have gotten rattled, but this is a veteran ball club and we maintained our poise." McClain hit a pair of free throws after Lee's fifth foul to give Villanova the eight-point lead, but the Wildcats then went seven minutes without a point. Memphis State, meanwhile, rallied to tie it on a jumper by Andre Turner with 3:27 left. McClain hit two free throws with 3:04 left to put Villanova ahead 4341 and then, a minute later, worked free for a slam dunk out of Villanova's stalling offense. "They were denying the wings and leaving the baseline wide open," McClain said. "I took advantage. I knew that we needed another basket and I just took charge." Memphis State, forced to foul in the final stages of the game, stood by as McClain hit six free throws in the final 54 seconds. McClain's offense complemented a Villanova defense that held Memphis State to its lowest point total of the season and to just 38 percent shooting from the field. "We mixed up our defenses extremely well," Massimino said. "McClain and Pinckney did an excellent job inside, drawing the fouls and keeping them from getting the ball to their big men. It comes back to them playing together for so long." Holmes: Tigers will be back next season LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) - Memphis State's junior forward Baskerville Holmes vowed the Tigers would return to the Final Four next year to seek retribution after Saturday's 52-45 loss to Villanova in the semifinals of the NCAA basketball championships. "We knew we had the talent to go all the way this year, but we didn't get the calls we thought we should have," Holmes said. All-America forward Keith Lee and Holmes both fouled out of the contest, while 7-foot-center William Bedford was saddled with four personals for the game's final 13 minutes. "The loss hurt everyone on the team," Holmes said. "We will have a great team next year and I feel we'll be in the same spot next year in the Final Four." Saturday's game became a case of role reversal as the smaller Wildcats were intent on pounding the basketball inside, attacking Lee, Bedford and Holmes straight-on. In contrast, Memphis State began to rely more and more on an outside attack that left the Tigers with a 38 percent shooting performance from the field. "We were in serious foul trouble, and that makes it hard to play the way you want to," Tiger Coach Dana Kirk said. "You don't worry about your fouls, you go out and play the game," said the 6-10 Lee, who was 3-for-9 from the field and finished with only 10 points in 23 minutes of play. Lee was saddled with foul trouble throughout the tournament and played only 131 of a possible 205 minutes. Bedford and Holmes managed only eight points each against Villanova. Bedford was so upset with his performance that he draped his 7- foot frame over a stool in the Tiger dressing room and sadly shook his head. "All our big fellows had to sit down with three or four fouls and their big guys didn't get in foul trouble," Holmes said. "I feel like the referees called a very poor game. They called a lot of touch fouls. "They say the Big East is a rough conference. If it's so rough, why did they call all those little fouls? It didn't seem like the conference was so rough. It seems like they (referees) were protecting them," Holmes said. The three referees who worked the game came from the Western Athletic Conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference. "We had to hold on to one of our big guys, and that hurts you on both offense and defense, " Kirk said. "We didn't talk about foul trouble before the game, but it was soon apparent that we were going to be in serious foul trouble early. "I'm not griping, mind you. There's no Big East intimidation to us. But it had an effect on the referees a little bit. A lot of walking (traveling violations) went on," Kirk said. Kirk said he did not feel his Tigers, who had been slight favorites going into the game, should be referred to as upset victims, noting Villanova is appearing in NCAA postseason play for the sixth straight year. "I don't know how you can refer to a team that's been in the NCAA playoffs as many times as Villanova as a Cinderella team. I thought a Cinderella team was one that came out of nowhere. If Villanova is a Cinderellla, then Cinderella wears boots," said Kirk. Hoyas (Continued from Page 13) Ewing — who played only 12 minutes of the first half after picking up two personal fouls — took Wennington inside in the Redmen's man-to-man defense and scored a goal to make it 53-39. The swarming Hoyas' defense caused 18 Redmen turnovers while committing only seven, and Georgetown dominated the boards, 29-24. Wennington and Mullin each had four turnovers for the game — equaling their number of goals. Georgetown, the Big East tournament winner, shot 51 percent from the field, while the Redmen, the regular-season Big East champion, shot 55 percent. A goal by Howard Broadnax gave Georgetown its biggest lead at the time, 62-46. The Redmen cut it back to 62-51 on two free throws by Walter Berry and Willie Glass' three- point play. Georgetown then went into a spread offense and St. John's only hope to get back into the game was to foul. But the Hoyas cashed in on the free, throw line to end St. John's season with a 31-4 mark — the last three losses to Georgetown following an early season 66-65 victory over the Hoyas. St. John's, which had won the West Regional, was appearing in its first Final Four since 1952, when it lost to Kansas in the championship game 80-63. Glass, the 6-6 sophomore, paced St. John's with 13 points, while Wennington and Berry each had 12. Williams scored 10 of his points in the first half and Wennington was able to take advantage of Ewing's absence by scoring 10 points. Georgetown jumped out to 10-2 and 18-8 leads, but Mullin's jumper capped a 10-0 run that tied it at 26. Georgetown moved ahead 30-28 and the Hoyas changed the tempo from a fast-paced game to a deliberate one. The crowd booed as the Hoyas ate up most of the last two minutes of the half with a stall. Utah Jazz guard Rickey Green (right) drives past Houston's Rodney McCray Saturday night in an NBA game in Houston. Keeping 'em off the Scoreboard By HAL BOCK AP Sports Writer LEXINGTON, Ky. — The key to advancing from the Final Four to the Final Two is keeping the other guy's best player off the Scoreboard. That was the route Villanova and Georgetown took Saturday in setting up their Monday night all-Big East showdown for college basketball's national championship. All-Americans Keith Lee of Memphis State and Chris Mullin of St. John's ended their collegiate careers on disappointing notes. Each was a non-factor in the semifinal games, and their respective teams were eliminated. Villanova beat Memphis State 5245 and Georgetown routed St. John's 77-59. Villanova, knowing Lee has been plagued with foul problems throughout the NCAA Tournament, went right after the 6-foot-10 Memphis State star. He had two fouls in the first half, collected his third less than three minutes into the second half and No. 4 with 15% minutes left in the game. Lee went to the bench at that point but was back in with 12:52 to play, after 7-footer William Bedford drew his fourth foul. But with 10:22 to play, Lee was gone for good, fouling out with just 10 points and only three of nine baskets from the field. "Our emphasis in practice was to get them in as much foul trouble as we could," Villanova's Ed Pinckney said. "All through the tournament, Lee was in . foul trouble. So we just took the ball to him as much as we could." Lee said he recognized his foul situation. "You keep playing," he said. "You go out and play your game and don't worry how many fouls you have. I don't change my game. What am I gon- na change it for? "The refs do the best job they can. They call the game. You go out and play. You go after the ball wherever it's at." That was how he fouled out. "Lee was in a low post," said Villanova forward Frosh gets 8 hits ... in one game Classified ads get results. BUIES CREEK, N.C. (AP) Freshman Henry Rochelle collected three college baseball records at the expense of a beleaguered Radford pitching staff Saturday and Campbell romped to a 38-0 victory. Rochelle was eight for eight, including five home runs and 23 total bases, all of which are NCAA individual records as Campbell scored at least one run in each inning. "I guess it's one of those once-in- a-lifetime things," Rochelle said. "It's kind of hard for me to believe. "I was expecting a lot of breaking balls after I hit the first couple of homers. The last two I hit out were curves," Rochelle said in a phone interview from his home in Jacksonville, N.C. "I was just looking for a base hit on all of them though." Three players — Bob Ritchie of Nichols in 1965, Doug Higgens of Shepherd in 1978 and Terry Becker of Aurora in 1981 — all hit four homers in a single game. The home runs were the first of Rochelle's college career. Rochelle also broke the record for hits in a game, breaking the record of seven set by Pat Bone of Florida International in 1981. The freshman also smashed the record for total bases by a player. He broke Ritchie's record of 17 set in 1965. "I've been on both ends of some blowouts, but I've never seen anything like this one," said Campbell head coach Cal Koonce, a former major league pitcher with the 1969 world champion New York Mets. When asked if he had ever seen The Salina Journal Sunday, March 31, 1985 Page 15 Whites roll to wans in all-star tilts McPHERSON - The Whites scored a pair of easy victories Saturday night in the second annual Central Kansas All-Star basketball games at the McPherson College Sports Center. Clint Kinnamon of St. John scored 24 points, including three three- point goals, to lead the White boys' team to a 120-99 victory. In the girls' game, Angie Dulohery of Haysville-Campus poured in 20 points to pace the Whites to a 73-63 victory. Both White teams led from start to finish en route to their victories. In the boys' game, Kinnamon and Ellsworth's Jamie McAtee propelled the Whites to a 25-4 lead in the first 6:03. The Whites advantage remained at 21 points (6544) at halftime. The Whites built their lead to 7951 with 15:35 remaining on a three- point shot by Kinnamon — one of 10 three-point goals scored in the contest. Scott Polzin of Hoisington also had a big game for the Whites with 14 points and 16 rebounds. McAtee and McPherson's Brian Gibson added 13 points apiece. The Reds were led by Randy Ellis of Inman and Doug Clark of Great Bend with 13 and 12 points, respectively. In the girls' contest, the Whites scored the first six points and raced to a commanding 20-5 lead at the 10:50 mark of the first half. The Reds, who trailed 39-23 at halftime, cut their deficit to 43-37 in the first five minutes after intermission before the Whites gradually rebuilt their lead. The Whites led by as many as 24 points down the stretch. Sacred Heart's Julie Ottley paced the Reds' attack with 12 points. The 5-9 forward hit 6-of-14 shots from the field and also grabbed five rebounds during the contest. Debbie Wilkinson of Chaparral also finished in double figures for the Reds with 11 points, while Moundridge's Chris Otte joined Dulohery in double figures for the Whites with 11 points. The contest was plagued by mistakes as the Reds had 38 turnovers and the Whites had 28. Bors REDS (99) Krouse 2-10 1-2 7. Klein 4-10 2-5 10, Ellis 512 3-4 13, Strelt 1-7 0-0 2, Mokovec 5-11 0-0 10, Boster 4-10 1-2 10, Clark 5-11 2-3 12, Woshburn 5-16 1-2 11, Bernard 5-80-0 10, Pe dersen 1-8 0-0 2, Chamberlain 1-3 0-1 2, Andy Frlesen 3-6 4-5 10. TOTALS 41-113 U-24 99. WHITES (120) S.Frlesen 3-14 2-2 10, Moddelmog 2-7 2-2 6, Kinnamon 6-7 9-10 24, Gibson 6-14 0-0 13, Franz 3-11 1-4 7. Spexarth 4-9 2-3 10, Loganbill 5-11 0-0 11. Berlin 2-4 2-2 6. McAtee 6-10 1-2 13, Polzin 5-14 4-4 14, Halbower 3-9 0-1 6, TOTALS 45.11023-30 120. Three-point goals — Krause 2, Boster (Reds): S.Frlesen 2, Kinnamon 3, Gibson, Lo- ganblll (Whites). HALFTIME SCORE — Whites 65, Reds 44. TOTAL FOULS — Reds 20, Whites 25. FOULED OUT — None. REBOUNDS — Reds 73 (Bernard 9), Whites 68 (Polzin 16). TURNOVERS — Reds 33. Whites 25. GIRLS REDS (63) Wilkinson 4-8 3-4 11. Brandt 0-1 0-1 0. P|esky 4-7 0-2 8, Wlndholz 1-2 2-2 4, Longe 39 0-1 6, Macarl 1-4 0-0 2. Klllen 3-6 0-0 6. Ottley 6-14 0-2 12, Barrett 1-4 2-3 4, Call 1-1 0-0 2, Heldeman 4-10 1-2 9. TOTALS 28-66 7-16 63. WHITES (73) Bullock 4-8 1-2 9, Woods 1-3 2-2 4, Alstatt 2-5 0-0 4, Ryan 1-5 3-4 5, Otte 5-11 1-2 II. Kinder 0-3 4-4 4. Johnson 3-8 2-7 8. Dulohery 9-12 2-3 20. Dawsan 1-1 0-2 2. Wells 3-5 2-8 8. TOTALS 28-61 17-34 73. HALFTIME SCORE — Whites 39, Rods 23. TOTAL FOULS — Reds 29, Whites 21. FOULED OUT — Wilkinson, Call (Reds): Otte (Whites). REBOUNDS — Reds 43 (Heldeman 9), Whiles 36 (Wells 8). TURNOVERS — Redi 38. Whites 28. Paper says five Tulane players were paid off NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Five Tulane University basketball players were paid a total of about $18,000 for allegedly shaving points in two Green Wave games last month, a newspaper said Saturday. The Times-Picayune, The States- Item, quoting unidentified sources close to the investigation, said prosecutors were told about the alleged payoffs on Friday. The story follows the arrest and booking of a sixth Tulane student and a 48-year-old convicted bookmaker. So far, seven people have been arrested and booked in the case, three of them Green Wave players. The newspaper said prosecutors were told that five players allegedly received about $1,000 each for shaving points in a Feb. 2 victory over Southern Mississippi and about $2,500 each for holding down the score in a Feb. 20 loss to fifth-ranked Memphis State. District Attorney Harry Connick has said that so far only those two games, both Metro Conference matches, are being investigated. Tulane was a lO'/z-point favorite over Southern Mississippi. Memphis State opened as a five-point favorite and went to 6M> points. Dwayne McClain. "He turned to shoot. The ball slipped out of his hands. I was there to grab it." And when McClain did that, Lee grabbed him. "Anybody who's down is going to fight for revenge," he said. But the reflex foul sent Lee to the sidelines for the rest of the game. In the second semifinal, Georgetown used a swarming box-and-one defense against Mullin and limited him to eight points. It ended a string of 101 consecutive double-figure games for the St. John's star. "We try to deny Chris the ball," Georgetown Coach John Thompson said. "He presents more problems than any player I've had to coach against. Very few players know how to get open like he does. He has a great ability to get open and to get others open. We concede his shots. We worry about his passing." David Wingate was the Hoyas' chaser, tailing Mullin all over the court. Thompson was pleased with the job his sophomore forward did. "David sacrifices a lot of his game (in that role)," the coach said. "He is offensive-minded. He thinks shoot and then he thinks defense, so this was a tribute to him." Wingate still managed 12 points, but limited Mullin to just eight shots in the game and only three in the second half as Georgetown blew the game open. In the first 3V4 minutes, Georgetown rushed to a 10-2 lead and Mullin had not touched the ball once. Coach Lou Carnesecca called a time out in an attempt to adjust. "They defend so well," he said. "Chris has seen the box-and-one for four years. But they play it so well and they convert at the other end." "It's the toughest defense to play against," Mullin said. "It gets frustrating. You just have to keep moving without the ball. If I can keep my man occupied ... maybe it looks like I'm doing nothing, but it gets my man out of the play." "I tried not to let him handle the ball," Wingate said. "It was one-on-one defense but if he goes inside, we all try to pick him up." an individual performance that rivaled this one, Koonce said, "No, not really. I've seen some guys hit two or three homers and also get some singles, but never anything like this." The Division I Camels, 14-12, scored three runs in the first inning, seven in the second and five more in the third to jump out to a 15-0 lead on the way to banging out 37 hits. They also received six walks and took advantage of five errors by Division II Radford, which dropped to 1-9. The Camels fell three runs short of setting a team record for the most lopsided shutout in NCAA history. Georgia Tech crushed Earlham 41-0 in 1975. Campbell also missed the record for most hits in a game.

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free