Warren Times-Mirror and Observer from Warren, Pennsylvania on October 21, 1970 · Page 7
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Warren Times-Mirror and Observer from Warren, Pennsylvania · Page 7

Publication:
Location:
Warren, Pennsylvania
Issue Date:
Wednesday, October 21, 1970
Page:
Page 7
Start Free Trial
Cancel

YOUR FAVORITE FOOD! From Choice Steer Beef! W«rr»n, Pa., Tim«-Mirror mi Ob««rv»r, W«dneiddy, Oct. 21, 1970 P« 9 « 7 FOURTH m A SERIES Old Warren Houses ■m- i \ English Cut ROAST LB. Round Bone SHOULDER ROAST LB. Tasty CHUCK STEAKit Morell’s Fully Cooked CANNED HAMsiu Tasty Frozen ■ Pre-Cooked Perch or Cod FILLETS LB CEN C Boneless CHUCK ROASTi. Victory’s Flavorful KOLBASSI Sugardale Ember Smoked SLICED BACON lb . Sugardale - 9 Varieties LUNCH MEATS 12-oz. Vac-Pack DELICATESSEN Dr. A. F. Yerg Residence -f.- k\ ^ • ' % * V Quinn Smith Residence (Editor’s Note: This is the fourth in a series of eight, written by Dr. William M. Cashman to describe a trip in downtown Warren by Warren County Historical Society to view old houses in the area and their historical significance. Discussed previously were the southwest and northeast corners of Market and High, the old Warren Academy and the first baseball game in Warren). Proceeding with the tour, the group moved westward on Fourth avenue and three houses were discussed. The corner house on the southeast corner of Fourth and Liberty was build by W. D. Brown in April of 1868. He was born in Sugar Grove. It is now occupied by Dr. A. F. Yerg. This was taken from the Warren Mail of 1868: “W. D. Brown is introducing a style of house building new for Warren. He puts up a balloon frame and sides up outside with boards, then a brick wall four inches thick is layed all around and is fastened with timber with spikes having one inch or so space between the bricks and boards. The advantage being a brick house outside and a frame house inside. The cost but exceeds that of wood throughout. Mr. Valentine is copying this style on his lot on the Academy lands.” (This Mr. Valentine house is the present Dr. Borger- Fino offices on Market street). One week later: ‘‘Mr. Brown’s cellar wall is about up looking as solid as Tanner’s Hill. Mr. Holiday bosses the work. ( Mr. Holiday was a builder from Sugar Grove. He also built the old stone church in Irvine, Pa. for the Irvine family). You see it’s a Scotch Presbyterian foundation, if that isn’t orthodox, we would like to know where you will find orthodoxy. This is the first slated roof in town. These bay windows which are now shown are the rage in town.” Across the street on Liberty street and one house south of Mr. Quinn Smith’s house on the corner, on the southwest corner of Fourth and Hickory, stands a house that was built in 1869 by 0. C. Allen, brick with this mansard roof. 0. C. Allen was the man, who, when he heard the State Hospital was going to be placed on the Falconer Farm, purchased many lots south of the State property and changed the name after placing many houses on it, from Berry’s Corners to North Warren. The next house we would like to present is the Eddy House. The Eddy House is at 409 Liberty and was occupied during the past 20 years by the Nels Anderson family. It was built by James Hood Eddy in 1871. James Eddy was born in Warren in 1814 and died in 1894. These lots were given to him in 1874 by his father, Zaccariah, who came here in 1801 and was a soldier in the War of 1812. These lots took in all the property from Fourth and Liberty to Fifth and Hickory. The Eddy house was the first house on this block. In 1877, Mr. Eddy bought a farm in Glade consisting of 172 acres and he called it Cranbrook. It now belongs to the State Hospital and is north of Hatch Run. Cranbrook goes through the property. Mr. Eddy was president of First National Bank from 1880 to 1885. He was a lumberman, a Democrat (he named one of his sons after James Buchanan) and was a councilman for Warren for eight terms. We then walked west to the corner of F’ourth and Hickory streets. On the southeast corner of this intersection once stood a house owned by Thomas Clemens. This house was built in 1838 and was torn down a few years ago. We have the records of every bit of construction of this house from the diary of Thomas Clemens. One of the founders of Warren, he brixight roads here, was a successful lumberman and was one of our earliest newspapermen. He owned four newspapers in his career in Warren, among them the famous Gazette and the Voice of the People. He was a director of Warren Academy and of Union School. Thomas Clemens was very much interested in education in this town and in the County. He at one time owned a farm in Glade township which is now known as the Beaty property. When he had drilled a well 50 feet in the ground on the Beaty Farm (present) he sold the property to Mr. Beaty early in the 1860’s. Beaty drove a well down 150 feet and up came oil and gas in quantity. Mr. Clemens had seven children, the last of whom died within the past 20 years. (To be continued). LUCKY BUCK! Match a Serial Number-Win ’20-’10-'5 D9I552462 C D7I6I77I0 A H66722534 B B09698I98 F D5I5I3I48 A ($ 20 ) ($ 10 ) ($10) ($10) ($5) D847I4664 A D22742I84 A D4493832I A D753897I9 A S24I78953 A ($5) ($5) ($5) ($5) ($5) KtdMW TI mm Ucky BacJu By Nov. 7Hi

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 12,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free