Lancaster Intelligencer from Lancaster, Pennsylvania on January 10, 1920 · 9
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Lancaster Intelligencer from Lancaster, Pennsylvania · 9

Publication:
Location:
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Issue Date:
Saturday, January 10, 1920
Page:
9
Start Free Trial
Cancel

INTELLIGENCER, Activities around the big river borough LUC'S HEADS M. AND M. BODY FOR THE FOURTH CONSECUTIVE TERM WELL KNOWN COLUMBIA MANUFACTURER AGAIN HONORED BY ASSOCIATES ANNUAL MEETING HELD LAST NIGHT EARLY SETTLERS WHO STARTED TOWNS IN COUNTY WHILE LIVING UNDER TREES Proprietor Ti Itttupb Manufacturing Co., re-elected president of Meroliartts and Manufacturers .Association, Oolmnbhv, WliLIAM W. FAIRER Proprietor of Columbia Boiler Works Vice president Merchants and MatiuVacturers Association. William H. Lucas, proprietor of the Triumph Manufacturing Company, of Columbia, Wil unanimously re-elect-od president of the Merchants' and Manufacturers' Association for the fourth consecutive term of office at their annual meeting hold last night, Isaac A. Fuld and William W. Fairer were named as vice presidents, and Luther J. Schroeder was reelected treasurer, a position he has held ever since the, association was formed. At the same meeting fifteen directors, which with the officers, consti tute the board, were elected, the fol lowing being chosen: William H. Lucas, Calvin R. Strick- ler, William L. Bucher, William W. Fairer, Isaac A. Fuld, S. High Levari, H. F. Yergey, Harry J. Knipe, Ed- wasd Bittner, E. M. Watt, W. 8. Ob-erlin, John H. Ostertag. William J. Strickler, C. N, Bernthelzel, Luther J. Schroeder, M. 8. Rupp, Arnold Egolf, John Westerman, Dr. S. S. Mann. The newly elected officers in brief addresses expressed their appreciation of the confidence reposed in them by the members, all having been chosen by a unanimous vote. COLUMBIA OLD PUBLIC GROUND COMPANY ELECTION UNIQUE E VENT FOR A CENTURY Columbia in one respect, at least, occupias a unique place among the towns in Lancaster county. While Columbia has been an Incorporated borough since the 25th of February, 1814, in the fourteenth section of the Act of Assembly, Incorporating the town, it is provided that the new incorporation cannot take proiits, rents or emoluments arising from a plot of ground, set apart by Samuel Wright, when he founded the town, and which was to be for the use of the public in storing lumber and other material alons the river shore. Wright had lot-holders. This was, practically, the start of the Columbia Water Company. The spirit of enterprise was exhibited in this section and Columbia became one of the first towns in the State to be supplied with water in that manner, this being conveyed In pipes underground. Following this action the trustees of the Old Public Ground Company were requested to pay over to the Managers of the Water Company all the funds in their hands. The Water Company had effected their organization April 21, 1821. In the years 1821-23, the trustees of Old Coium One of the early settlements in Lancaster county, which is now a flourishing town, was made by a single family, who squatted under the branches of a tree, and from that crude manner of living a few cabins soon afforded shelter and protection to the families that were attracted to the place and a village sprang into existence, which is now the flourishing town of Reamatown. That event took place la 1728 or 1714 and the original settler was Everhard Ream whose descendants still reside there. This place at the time Ream took hla family there, was occupied solely by Indiana, The peculiar circumstances surrounding this settlement in Lancaster county were not without a parallel a generation later. Then, a man named James McBrlde made his way Into the section now known as Kentucky and established his settlement by carving his name on a tree as evidence of his right of possession. Some French traders and Indians knew of this section, but knowledge of its existence was kept from the British colonies. It is strange, too, that it was never inhabited by Indians, hav ing been known to them only as the Dark and Bloody Ground. Many tribes of Indians claimed ( It, but their titles were obscure, and it became a theatre of war. Soon after Everhard Ream had begun a settlement, he cleared a small spot, procured a warrant and located about four hundred acres, and In 1725, received a patent for the same. About the same time Welsh settlers settled farther eastward and south of the Ream plot and this extended as far up as to the present site of Churohtown. In this manner was that section of Lancaster county settled. When the Ream settlement was begun, the nearest neighbors were along Mill Creek and the nearest mill was on the Brandywine creek. The Webers and Guths, (Good) opened settlements south of Conestoga creek. and then began the growth and in crease of that section. Names of these settlers ar perpetuated in the generations of descendants still In that section. Another band of emigrants came' during the year 1727 comprising more than one thousand Palatines, and some scattered as far east as Berks county and some in the neighborhood of what is now New Holland, then In the woods. There is some interesting data relating to the Weaver family which be came prominent in northeastern Lancaster county and some families of this name still possess the lands of their ancestors. There was one, Christian Weaver, born in Earl township. Lancaster oounty, on Christmas Day, 1731. He died in 1820, aged 88 years and his was a wonderful family record. This man had eight sons and five daughters; all except one son, born before his death: and living at the time wen 99 children, 8 grandchildren am 55 great grandchildren. His linea descendants numbered 309. Ho was i member of the Mennonite church. John Dieffenderfer settled In the place which is now New Holland am' he had a grandson David, son of Michael Dieffenderfer, who was born February 9, 1752, near New Holland; but before he was ten years old, his father moved to Lancaster. When In his eleventh .year he witnessed the , massacre of the. Conestoga Indians, at Lancaster. At the age of twenty-five he served in the Revolutionary War and was engaged in many battles. He was taken prisoner by the British, confined in New York and suffered great hardship until he w exchanged. When living in his 92d year, David Dieffenderfer related how his grandfather moved his " household goods from Philadelphia and they were unloaded under an oak tree. There he lived until by the aid of neighbors a crude hut was erected to shelter the family. The neighbors soon relieved their wants and in time they were snugly housed and comfortably situated. HOUK PRESIDENT OF COLUMBIA WORLD WAR AND C A. R. VETS COLUMBIA COUNCIL SWAP TALES AROUND COMMON CAMPFIRE Senior Democrat Elected When New Organization Was Formed Last Night I The organization of a Post ot the .hit company had been known as the American tiSglna In Columbia will be QM Fcncihles. Captain Guss after ward se to become a Brevet Major General of United Stages Volunteors. Marriott llrostus enlisted as a private, November 7, 1R1, for three years; was promoted to first corporal June 29, 1 8 (52, and promoted to sergeant, May ft, DISS. As a veteran he was re-la Metered, March 16, 1864, to date February 29, 1864, and was As almost every I wounded in notion at Green Plains, Bermuda Hundred, Va., May 20, 1864; he was commissioned a second lieu tenant, February 26, 1 DM, but not again mustered because he discharged on account of his wounds on a Surgeon's certificate, at the U f . the means of bringing to light some of the experiences of the soldiers who . served m lite World War. It 'will H. A. MENCHY SECRETARY' h!iVO .,thu mto L glun Toots ;uo formed. As these Ml ' ' ' ivi I htr Mi-miml Masai ennm Itr thov Only will rehearse the scenes they wit nessed and also recount the deeds that were performed in action In camp and in the cantonments Chief of Police Campbell Remaining Member of Old Force , branch of the service is represented. Organisation of the new Columbia ! the ,hp have to recite will vary Council was effected at the initial ln ltN 1" the same dgreo. meeting of the body held lust nljsht 1 Recently at a westing Of the Co-following the last session of the old lumbla Lesion 1'ost in the Grand council which met to hear reports. I Army Ton room, the veterans of the The first regular meeting of the new 'great Civil War. who were prsent In , Hospital. Chester, Pa., January t, organization will Vie held on Tuesday n official capacity, became remlnls- 1 1X65. He had been wounded In the evening when the work of the j ear j cent and related, for the benefit of (right shoulder and the effects of Ms the younger veterans, some of tho ex- I wounds were noticeable throughout poriences they encountered while j the remainder of his life, lighting lo preserve the Union. War- The Ninety-seventh Kegiment eon-fare then differed in many respects talned a large number of Lancaster from the methods now In use, al- OOBntjr men, and was distinguished though the 00 teat then were dead-! for having within Ite ranks one Of vviil be taken up. COLUMBIA GOSSIP made a drawing of his proposed town bia had made liberal loans to the and had a plan with the lots lam oui. A lottery was established and lots were drawn by the purchasers of lottery tickets. This was a common practice In the early days and Columbia was not an exception. Samuel Wright died in July, 1811, and from that time a revenue was accrued from, the rents paid by those who used the ground to store lumber. That part of the town laid out by Samuel Wright was known as Old Columbia, und five trustees were chosen who were to manage, lease or let the public ground. These rentals accumulated until 1S20, when they amounted to about two thousand dollars. While the gross receipts from the rentals amounted to more than the sum on hand, come of the money was used for expenses. The citizens then residing in Old Columbia, not having nnrMcinated in the enjoyments of these rentals became dissatisfied and a public meeting was called, November 14, 1820, to determine what disposition should b made of the money. The Question was discussed at length and It was finally decided that the fund should be applied for the purpose of devising means to carry spring water into Old Columbia for the use of the residents. Then followed a petition to the' Assembly, setting forth these facts, and March 31, 1821, an Act was passed making it lawful for the inhabitants of Old Columbia to elect seven managsrs, annually, who were to be freeholders, and who were termed "Manaigers of the Old Columbia Water Company." It was provided also that If the revenue derived from this project should exceed the expenses, then tha surplus was to be divided among1 the ; Water Company, which was then separate corporation. April 10, 1826, came an Act of Assembly incorporating the Old Pub lie Ground Company, This was accepted May IS', 1816, and by this Act the old trustees were required to transfer the deeds, stock and money to the new corporation, the first managers for which were elected June 3, 1826. Thus it will bo seen that for the past ninety-four years the Old Pub lie Ground Company, operating under that charter has continued in existence and has accumulated considerable property. The election, January 8, for three managers for three years, was. therefore, a continuation of these functions which have been exercised by the corporation for nearly a century. Not even .ill the residents of Co lumbia understand the cause for the existence of the Old Public Ground Company, which is, indeed, a corporation, within the incorporated limits of Columbia Borough, and its territory Is specifically defined by lines running through streets and alleys, around whfch the town has spread in all directions. That is the reason that only citizens of Columbia, residing within the bounds of these prescribed limits can vote for the election of managers, who also, must he residents within the same limits. The rapid growth and changes dn the borough have enveloped Old Columbia which, however, still exists by reason of the provisions made by the celebrated man who founded the settlement. No other town In the county has a similar con dition, Columbia had a remarkable Christ mas celebration in more man one respect. The season so far as the re tail business was concerned exceeded that In former years, although prices were high. People' had money and they spent U freely. But another as pect of the observance existed ln the manner 4n which some of the displays ln the stores were arranged, and the means employed to attract customers, This feature was especially notable in the Herr & Company hardware store, at Fourth and Locust streets, which was the principal if not the only place where Santa Claus form ed a blg attraction- Children were there by the scores interrogating San ta and It was amusing to the older persons to witness the real enjoyment which his presence afforded the young sters. One little fellow, "Dickie' Moore, paid a visit to Santa, and talk ed with hton quite awhile. On going home, however, he happened to re member that hla parents had moved to a home opposite the place where they formerly Uved and this he had neglected to tell to Santa Claus, and he insisted In going back to see him This he did and then told him to make no mistake in coming to his house and told- him where they now lived. He also warned Santa that if he carried anything to the old home it would not reach him and he would be out hla present The little fel low presented his case with such earnestness and confidence that it gave great pleasure to the older per- sons who heard the conversation Herr & Company did a good act ln providing such a real attraction for the little ones for It made many glad hearts. It was rather an Innovation ln Columbia, but It was nevertheless a splendid thing to do and It was a very profitable undertaking. suggest a moral from It which, he said, is that many persons urcha.se presents, or even articles for themselves which they do not need and cannot appreciate. Ho cited this circumstance as an example of many similar cases. CHAMPION CHRISTMAS ME BUILDER The most talked of man in Columbia around the Christmas holidays is Charles Kuntz. a laceweaver, who resides at No, 160 South Eighth street. This (a all on account of his Chrlst-nas tree, which is one ot the show places in Columbia tar weeks after the holidays. This tree contains 4,-200 ornaments and envelops an entire room while the floor space Is taken up with a mechanical garden constructed with the utmost skill nnd so arranged that it is a veritable motion picture, the power being furnished by clock springs hidden under the platform. Almost every modern device common to a natural scene, Is reproduced ln miniature form and placed in such position as to imitate natural objects all in motion, Mr. Kuntz has spent eighteen years in studying designs and constructing mechanical gardens and he has accumulated an endless variety of orna ments and miniature devices. So far this season, seven hundred persons have visited hit! homo to sec this tree and garden, many coming from dis tant points. Mr, Kuntz Is a Lancastrian and Is a son of the late John Jacob Kuntz, who resided in East Chestnut street- The tree will remain for another week and may be seen any day or evening. The holiday season for Columbia was a busy one and never in the his tory of tho town were so many gifts exenangeu as this year. One feature of tho season's observance is worthy oi special notice. That was the work of the Red Cross Chapter, through the activity of the vice chairman, Mrs. B. C. Shannon. Mrs. Shannon spent considerable time in going over the town and finding out where knitted articles could be advantageously used and in fact were needed. At such places they were left and at many homes was Christmas cheer carried ln this manner. The work showed the right spirit and was a credit to the lied Cross and ths per-yon who spent the time to perform the work, It was another evidonoe of tho merit of Red Cross work at native home as well as abroad. Christmas has not changed, but its observance ha In Columbia, time was when the old-fashioned method of celebrating on Christmas eve, ob tained, but It ds not so any more Now the observance has become more formal and less Jolly than In former days and there Is an exclusiveness about the celebration that detracts from the common sentiment and frivolity and Jollity that amused our forefathers In Khetr boyhood tfaya mere was men more of the community spirit, notwithstanding our claims to the Intense agitation and cultivation of that sentiment now. But the conditions have changed and so have the people. It Is a question whether the present generation has more real amusement out of the season than did those in the past. Columbia has some beautiful Christmas trees, but the one In tho home of Charles Kuntz, 160 South Bight h street, Is Hie most wonderful of all. Mr. Kuntz has spent weeks in the erection of the tree and It Is a mar vel of skill and beauty. Mr. Kuntz permits his tree to remain for weeks for the Inspection of the public and he has as many as seven hundred to one thousand visitors to look it over. Some of these come from abroad and they pronounce the scene worth the tourney, Christmas brought great cheer to some of the colored people in Co-lumblaand among the number were two little boys, One of them seems to have had money enough to purchase a watch and after making the purchase they started down town together. Pulling out the timepiece, one looked at It and passed It to the other, hut neither could tell the tlmo. They wanted a watch, however, and they got It. A passerby who wit nessed the transaction ventured to Columbia still continues to have fires but so far none have been serious; the alarm has been the most exciting feature of some. Whether there is a firebug at work In the town cannot be determined, but, if so, he is not making much headway. Whatever the origin, there is too much of that kind of work and If anyone should be found guilty of trying to start fires It will prove a serious matter for him. i j ... .. . -v' y ... SBBBB HUKACU A. MENCIUSY ( Democrat ) Newly elected WHlllMSJ'y of Columbia Borough Council, succeeding Charles W. Stevenson, Republican. The new body is controlled by the Democrats, who have a majority of one, and they succeeded in Illllng all the positions, except the Chief of Police Samuel Campbell, who has served long and faithfully In that po sition being chosen without opposi tion. Joseph W. Moult, senior Democratic member who represent the Sixth ward, was chosen as president. Mr. Houk has served as chairman of the committee! on public safety for some years nnd has been u faithful member. ly and disastrous just the tame. A few Columbia soldiers la the recent wnr served with raiments nnd battalions organised outside of the county by enlisting early in the contest. A number were sent to distant points In different branches of thr service- Tli.it SMI conditio! in the Civil War and a number of Lancaster county soldlcis were found 'fitting with r eg menu organised uM de of the ennty. A notable tn-tance was the case of the late Congressman Martett lirosiun. He en-'istod as a former from ootornro, Lancaster county, al the age of twenty years, in Company K, Of the Ninety-seventy Regiment, 1'ennsylvnnla Volunteer Infantry, which company was known as the Wnyno Guards. Ths regiment was recruited al West Cnesjer by Captain Henry ft. Oitss, who had previously entered Hie three months' service and Ctwbjtsln Guss became commander of the regiment. He had commanded Copeny A. of the Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, during lis term of service of three months at (he outbreak of (he wnr. He was In Major General Robert Pattersons command, in Maryland, Virginia, nnd in adjacent counties in Pennsylvania. the most remarkable soldiers ln the Civil War. This man was James St John. Sr.. of Philadelphia, who, as a drummer, had enlisted at the age Of (II years. Ho was the principal musician of the regiment from Its organization, until discharged by a general existed ! order from the war department, Oc- tober 13, 1862. This man, however, re-enlisted and was mustered in Com-psy D, known as the Concordvillo miles. November 28, 18(52, aa a drummer for three years. He was promoted to principal musician. My 1, 1861. Tie had previously been a drum ma jor of tho Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers In the throe months service, and held the anine position in the Nlnsty-seventh Regiment, until discharged. This man St. John had a remarkable war record. He had been a drummer boy In the War of 1812. and was also a soldier in the Mexican War. He was considered the beet drummer ln Pennsylvania. He had two sons In the Ninety-seventh Regiment and also two In tho Army of the Potomac. This record was one of the most remarkable for service in the military annals of tho State and, considering his age, was probably not surpassed by any man in the American Ware- Columbia merchants and business men and manufacturers, generally, will be glad when the railroads shall have been returned to private own ershlp. They are nearly all of the opinion that they will get better service than under the present system The railroad officials are inclined to think that the roads can be success fully operated by themselves, as they had been before, and they expect that ample protection will be accorded them In the bills now pending in con ference in the Congress. Columbia as a municipality begins the new year with a clean slate so far as the finances go, for the recent loan of forty-five thousand dollars, will give the council a clean board. Economy,- however, must be the watchword if the same condition is to be shown at theend of the year. The revenues are not much increased and the expenses are much greater. Labor, materials and all other Items that enter into the legislative pro gram in the borough are plenty high and that fact alone, enjoins econo my of the strictest, type. New Year's Day In Columbia in 1920 will be remembered on one of unusual quietness. In fact, as a holiday there was so little to distinguish it that it very much resembled a Sunday in its observance. Only one feature may lingpr In the minds of citizens who are not sound sleepers and that was the shooting and blow- ng of whistles to usher in the day. The din and noise for a few minutes n the beginning of the year and the assing of the lost five minutes of the old year awakened many people who had retired. But that was the limit. The old-tlmc forms of merry-making and amusement were entirely absent and there was not even the semblance of a New year's parade. So cial functions, dances nnd other forms of entertainment comprised the order of observance. LANCASTER COUNTY BEAR HUNTER GIVEN SCARE WHEN BRUIN CROSSED HIS PATH CIUKF OP POMOK SAMUJili CJAMPHKLIi, Re-elected. Columbia has rounded out a year f unbounded prosperity and If the coming year will show so much gain It will mean much for the town. The Industrial plants for the most part have had an uxcptlonally good year nd the merchants can say as much for themselves. The prevailing hlVh prices do not seem to have detracted from the proportion of train or tho volume of earnings. Ap have had a irood season and a successful year and while the future cannot be told. It Is well to maintain the optimistic plrlt Wnrtert Button. Ronald (after church service): "I say, sis, did thn curate really mean that those black people don't wear olothee?" Slrter: "Ye quite true." Ronald: "Then, what was the good of grandpa pu'.iting n button ln the collect. on'"' -London Blighty. For secretary, Horace A. Menchy, of the firm of H. H. and H. A. Men-chey, grocers, and a prominent Democrat, was electMH sesoretafy to succeed Charles w. stevenstm, Republican, who has served In that position many years. For morns. Uiaster, Ueorge Von KtoUon, a Democrat, was named and for fireman of the opera house, which Is owned by the borough and ln which the council chamber is located, Richard L. Gould was elect ed. Chief of Police Samuel Campbell was accorded a unanimous election ilthough he Is a Republican. Tlie Salaries of tin; differ ll officers range as ronows: necreiary nno clerk of committees. $!0 per month; borough solicitor, 1100 per year; en gineer and supervisor, )t per month; chief or police, 7 5 per month; market manter and Janitor of council chamber, J4& per month; fireman of town hall $2.50 per day caretaker of tow;l hall clock, 1 50 per year. ' H. M. North Jr., Ksq., was elected solicitor ,and the Columbia Trust Company was elected treasurer. Commit triM Named At the re -organisation meeting ot the council tho following standing committees were appointed by the borough council officer for the ensu ing terms: Highway committee Ulever, Smeltr-er and Sna.vely. Public Safety committee Herbert, Snavely nnd Hmeltzer. Finance Koop, Realty and Belvcr. Lighting Patton, Herbert and Myrs, Property Snavely, Pntton and Realty. Printing Smeltzer, Ho(bert and Myers, Municipal Legislation Beatty, loop and niever. . Market Myers, Patton and Herbert. The MSSing of the old-timo hunters along the Susquehanna rtver has caused some of the erstwhile patrons Of the chase to remark with melancholy utterance the decline of the once popular sport on the. banks of thte historic stream. Prom the mouth of the river to tho brunches that flow through tho ravines in ths mountains of tho State and in the dense forests that once skirted these streams, wild game became tho prey of the early hunter and afforded him the pleasure, of thrilling adventure. Hut that time has passed and with It the sport that for many years allured tho hunter and rewarded him with tho flnent game. Unrestricted by laws for the preservation of the animals of the forest, he was accustomed to imitate the exploits of the original denizens of the mountains and slaughter with Impunity the deer, bears and other game that were 'i easy reach of his gun. He could make choice of the kind he wanted, and then, for tho purpose of gratifying his desiree for more exciting sceties, find more dangerous and Infilling advonturo when he crossed the path o. a panther, a wildcat and sometimes a hungry and ferocious wolf. Rut the days of such hunting have long since passed and It Is now an uncommon combat when the hunter Rieets a dangerous animal. But there are a few Instances on record where the early diversions of the chase have been encountered and in tho adventure some Lancaster county hunters hove shared. Deer and bears have boon reported plentiful this year and their appearing has given local sportHmen some thing to talk about One Lancasit'T man who frequents the mounttalns for hunting had a Httle experience recently while gunning In the moun tains a long the West Hmnch. Quietly I Went" making his way along a narrow path In an isolated section, this hunter was much surprised and a little frightened when a big bear crossed tho path it short distance in front or him. He was not In a mood to engage In close combat with his unexpected visitor, but slunk away and elonely observed bruin's retreat. Stealing up lo a narrow and rocky ledge where the boar lay the Lancaster hunter with unerring slm killed ths animal with the first shot from his rifle,. It required all his strength to remove the carcass, but he suoossded In getting his game to the cabin and had the prudence to preserve the skin which he still retains. It was not his first experience hunting bear, but It whs a tame experience compared with previous adventures whsn ho was dlsadvantasreously situated and was obliged to flee before the pursuit of a few ferocious animals which ho had disturbed. A Columbia hunter, who was a sort of a Nlmrod In his day, relates some incidents of bear hunting along the York oounty side of the Busque-hanna, but they sffnrdod HtHs that was thrilling to the man who to fess lens with his gun. A bear was known to infest the section where bungalows now dot the shore, and the animal disappeared the pleasure seeker filled the woody places along the hills, and since then wild game has almost entlre-ly disappeared from those wild recesfles. The Nlmrods of the Sus-quehanna have disappeared and what was once a wild and desolate forest has fallen beneath the woodsman's axe and tho game is no more. Tho time has passed when one man could it in us many as two hundred deer and eighty bears In a sen son, for that was done by one Peter Netsangsr, who became a famous hunter and wag known as the. "Nlmrod of tho Old PttbUo Uromiri Co, Officers The mnnegers of the Old Public Dround Company, of Columbia, met In the M. and M. rooms Monday night and elected the following officers: President, Thomas J. Metsfor; secretary and treasurer, R, TI. FulwellePi superintendent of grounds, a. a. Grova SUSQUEHANNA RIVERMAN AND HIS LEANING TOWER ON THE OTZINACHSON The early Busquehnnna rlvermen vero noted for their eccentric ties, but such traits in their character we.ro duo in some measure to their lonely environment, some having been almost entirely isolated, whilo others dwelt, hermit-like, In caves and crude cabins and seldom bad companions. They were found dwelling along the streams from Ite mouth to tho almost unpenetrable fastnesses near its source. Branching out at the confluence these tnen followed tho North Rr.-inch to the recesses of tbe mountains, wh'le on the West Branch the lone settler was surrounded by high mountains ana impenetrable loroats. it was on the latter stream, known by tho In linns aS the "OtCinacnson, that was found one of the most eccentric char acters of that period. His name was John Mason and his home was on the h'gh precipice of lllue Hill. This pleci- p'co wns several hundred feet In per pendicular height, and It wan on that d r.zy height that Mason elected to make his home. On this precipice John Mason built two towers and one of them leaned over the edge of Blue Hill, ready to fall nnd bf dashed to plecea on the rocks hninw. It Inclined at an angle of thirty-five degrees, but It was built In that manner, firmly fixed on a soll'tl foundation and fastened down with strong Iron bolts. This towei had a tailing around the top and visi tors could go up and view tho pect. Fow ever had tho daring to approach the edge and gass below. Another tower stood nearby and was much higher, and had an observatory on the top. Visitors could go on this one with perfect safety. The vew afforded from this height was superlatively grand. Mason built these towers to gratify his peculiar whims and on this high elevatton he lived. Around the towere the grounds were finely laid out and there on this high peak, he spent ths most of his life. The oddity of the build 'tigs attracted many visitors and he was never more pleased than when visitors came and gased with wonder. merit upon this strange exhibition of architecture, and the strange and dangerous locution of the towere. Mason Was a bachelor and reputed a wealthy man, although ln all his transactions he showed unmistakable gns of his natural eccentricity. He traveled on foot and would sometimes walk to Philadelphia and other places on the most trivial errand!. He carried his eccentricities to his death and lies buried beneath the wide-spreading branches of a chestnut tree in the rear of what was once his leaning tower. Mason died more than seventy years ago and the ravages of time have at. mosi obliterated the monuments of his eccentricity as they crumbled Iff the lack of cure and attention, and tho towns of the OUslnachson are no ;

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 18,500+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free