The Berkshire Eagle from Pittsfield, Massachusetts on January 29, 1977 · Page 69
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

The Berkshire Eagle from Pittsfield, Massachusetts · Page 69

Publication:
Location:
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Issue Date:
Saturday, January 29, 1977
Page:
Page 69
Start Free Trial
Cancel

County Business Biographies itself was located on what is now the parking lot of the Adams Memorial Theatre. With the advent of the automobile shortly after the turn of the century, Mr. McMahon incorporated gasoline- propelled vehicles into his livery operation, and also sold automobiles from the livery office. He handled Dodge, Nash, and at one time, Chevrolet and Ford together. He settled on Chevrolet, and the organization holds one of the oldest Chevrolet franchises, dating from 1921. In that year, also, the livery was discontinued and the automobile dealership was moved to quarters in the Oanforth Block at 73 Spring St.; additional buildings in the back were taken over for service operations. The year 1921 also marked a further expansion by the entry of Thomas McMahon Son into the coal business. The assets and operations of James .Grady were purchased and distribution made from the "coal sheds" in the freight yards. In 1923, Mr. McMahon built coal silos of 450-ton capacity, one of the first such operations in Berkshire County. In 1934 the fuel business was further expanded by incorporating fuel oil into the line. Mr. McMahon constructed oil tanks adjacent to the coal silos in the Boston Maine Railroad yards off Cole Avenus. Here, 60,000 gallons of oil can be stored, and Mobil Oil products are handled. Upon his father's death in 1945, Thomas McMahon, Jr. took over the operation of the business. In 1958, Fuelon, Inc. was incorporated to handle the oil burner functions of Thomas McMahon Son, and to distribute propane gas under a franchise from Homgas, the franchise having been acquired from J.E. ValencourtSon. 1867 STEVENSON COMPANY INCORPORATED 34 North Street Pitt jfield, Mass. The firm was founded in April 1867 by~ Homer G. Gilmore and Captain Frederick A. Francis. John M. Stevenson joined the firm in 1872, along with George Dutton, and in 1903 the name was changed to Stevenson Company. The present management of the firm includes: David W. Murphy, President ; Edward H. O'Keefe, Treasurer;. Edward L. Fahey, Vice President and Clerk; Joseph M. McCusker, Assistant Treasurer; and Frederick J. Hoffmeister. Assistant Treasurer. Tte founders established their insurance office in the "old West block" on the corner of North and East Streets, which is the present site of the Berkshire County Savings Bank. In 1923 the firm purchased the old Chamberlain Brothers Building, located at 30-34 North Street, and has occupied these quarters ever . since. From 1867 to the present, the partners and officers ol the firm have made generous -contributions to their community. John Stevenson and his brother, William, were very action in the Boys Club of Pittsfield. Mr. William Moulton was Mayor of Pittsfield during World War I and through the years, various members of the firm have served the Community Chest, YMCA, Boys Club, Pittsfield General Hospital and the Red Cross. Among todays members of Stevenson Co., David W. Murphy is a former President of the Pittsfield Girls Club; Edward H. O'Keefe Is the newly elected President of Goodwill Industries of Pittsfield and its former Director, a Director of the Berkshire County Association of Retarded Citizens, and a Commander in the U.S. Coast Reserve; Edward L. Fahey is past Post Commander of the American Legion, Dal ton; and Joseph M. McCusker is a past Director of the Berkshire Center for Families and Children, Director of the Center Lion's Club, past Vice President of the Greater Pittsfield Jaycees and former hockey coach of Lenox High School. Frederick J. Hoffmeister is Treasurer and Director of the Berkshire County Association for Retarded Citizens, past President and Director of the Greater Pittsfield Jaycees, Secretary of the Rotary Club of Pittsfield and Member of the Pittsfield Growth Policy Commission. Over the past 19 years the firm has expanded from two people in one office to 19 people occupying the major portions of a three story office building. The present management hopes to continue the expansion by practicing the basic philosophy established by Homer Gilmore, Frederick Francis and John Stevenson -- "Quality insurance with accent on service." 1871 WHEELER TAYLOR, INC. 333 Main Street Great Harrington, Mass. Main Street Stockbridge, Mass. The insurance division of the firm was founded in 1871 by A.W. Selkirk and was located in the Mahaiwe Bank Building. In 1930, a new building was erected at 333 Main St., the firm's location since that date. Present management: Robert K. Wheeler, Chairman Emeritus; William S. Webber, III, Chairman of the Board; John R. Downie, President- Treasurer; Richard F. Snow, Senior Vice President; J. Martin Salvadore, Vice President; F.J. Farrell, 111, Vice President; Lois A. McGuire, Secretary- Clerk. For the past 59 years. Wheeler Taylor has been especially active in the purchase and sale of real estate in Southern Berkshire County. 1876 ARNOLD PRINT WORKSJNC Columbia Street Adams, Mass. Arnold Print Works, Inc. has, since the original founding in 1876 in North Adams by Harvey and Oliver Arnold, been respected in the textile printing industry as a mark of quality and service. The printing of drapery fabric was started in 1932 at the present location (the former Renfrew Textile Mill) as an expansion of the original plant which closed in 1942 and now houses the Sprague Electric Company. From 1942 to 1967 the Adams plant operated as a division of the AspinooK Corporation and Indian Head Mills, but has now reverted to local ownership. Arnold Print Works, as a commission finisher, does not own the tens of millions of yards of cloth processed annually, but bleaches, prints, finishes, packages and stores merchandise for dresses, draperies, slipcovers, etc. for some of the largest and most prominent textile converting firms located in New York City and serviced by sales offices there. The firm in Adams also operates several units for the Waverly Fabric Division of F. Schumacher Co. The plant has maintained a healthy growth and rate of expansion, and constantly improves facilities. In recent years, new, automatic screen printing, continuous-range bleaching, and knit finishing machinery (installed, along with other changes to the extent of over two million dollars) has helped Arnold Print Works maintain a leading role and reputation for being the "Tiffany" of the printing industry. The firm employs approximately 775 persons on a multi-shift basis; many are veteran employees. All production personnel are associated with one of several textile unions; supervisory and management personnel average over 20 years' experience in the textile finishing field. 1893 SHAEFFER EATON 75 South Church Strut Pittsfield, Mass. The company was founded by Arthur W. Eaton in 1893 to manufacture social stationery. The stationery business grew rapidly, and the Berkshire Typewriter Company was soon acquired. National advertising promoted the sale of Highland Linen and other staple and novelty papers throughout the country. The company operated at various times as the Hulbert Stationery Company;Eaton- Hulbert Paper Company; Eaton, Crane and Pike Company; and in 1933 as the Eaton Paper Corporation. The At-a- Glance line of record books and diaries was acquired in 1947, and became a major factor in Eaton's growth. The Eaton Paper Corporation was sold in 1959 to the Gorham Corporation of Providence, R.I., and in 1967 Gorham (and Eaton) became a division of Textron, also of Providence. In 1969, Eaton assumed full divisional status within Textron as the Eaton Paper Company--Division of Textron. Eaton employs approximately 750 people in Pittsfield for the manufacture of social stationery. Berkshire Typewriter Paper, At-a-Glance record books and diaries, Prinscript personalized stationery as well as wedding announcements, jigsaw puzzles and assorted gift merchandise. The Eaton Division of Textron also operates plants in Baltimore, Md. for the manufacture of stationery and school supplies, and in Paw Paw, Mich, to manufacture Duo- Tang report covers and organizers. On March 1, 1976, Eaton Paper Company and the W.A. Sheaffer Pen Company in Fort Madison, Iowa were merged into one division of Textron. The facilities at Pittsfield house the Division headquarters as well as the Pittsfield Operations. Sheaffer Eaton currently employs more than 3,000 world-wide. Officers of the company are Burton S. Massie Chairman; Louis S. Bishop, President- C. David Roberson, Vice President and Controller; John C. Linn, Director of Human Resources; William G. Staubach, Vice President Marketing; James W. Thomas, Vice President International Operations and Robert K. Agar, Vice President Operations -Pittsfield. 1907 ~ BERKSHIRE BAKERY 56 John Street Pittsfield, Mass. Berkshire Bakery was founded in June 1907 by Joseph Scelsi, and was operated as a partnership by Michael and Anthony Scelsi after the death of their father Since 1967, the firm has been owned and operated by Carmella and Anthony Scelsi. Berkshire Bakery spe- PAID ADVERTISING cializes in hearth breads and rolls, but is famous for all Italian-style bakery products. The business distributes baked products throughout Berkshire County, as well as part of New York State and Vermont. 1908 HILLCREST HOSPITAL US Tor Court Pittsfield, Mass. Hilicrest is a 142-bed community hospital serving not only central Berkshire County, but parts of New York State. It was incorporated in July 1908, and has received the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals' approval since 1956. Hilicrest has all the necessary ancillary services to support this community-type hospital; in addition to five operating rooms, there is a full seven-day- »week emergency room coverage, an x- ray suite, a fully-equipped respiratory therapy department, a newly completed laboratory building and a modern ICU/CCU. The new addition was occupied in February 1971, and consists of three patient floors with a fourth floor shell. Hilicrest Hospital, originally the Salisbury Estate, overlooks the western banks of Onota Lake, and is located in the quiet, suburban action of West Pittsfield. The locale provides a clean, fresh-air environment. 1910 ROBERTSON AGENCY 170 East Street ' Pittsfield, Mass. The agency was founded in 1910 by R.C. Robertson and DeWitt Bruce; its present management includes R.C. Robertson, Alan Robertson and Bob Robertson, Jr. Originally organized in 1910 as Bruce Co., with offices in Pittsfield and Winter Haven, Florida, the name was changed to Bruce Robertson about a year later. After the death of DeWitt Bruce in 1917, the Florida end of the business was managed by his son, G. Duncan Bruce, and the Pittsfield office was managed by R.C. Robertson. In 1924, the firm added a complete line of general insurance services. After the death of their father, Robert C. Robertson took over the real estate, and Winthrop D. Robertson'handled the insurance business until 1968. In 1969, when Alan was discharged from the Army, and in 1972, when Bob, Jr. resigned his position with the General Electric Company, the third generation joined the real estate firm. There has been a tradition of providing reliable, knowledgeable real estate service at the Robertson Agency for 66 years! 1919 BERKSHIRE WALLPAPER 439 North StTMt Pittsfield, Mass. The firm was founded over 57 years ago by the late Mr. and Mrs. Nathan E. Kolman, and has served the Berkshires from the same location since 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Kolman developed a fine, diversified clientele that has remained loyal -- in many instances, even to the second and third generations! The present management includes Seymour C. (Si) Kolman, son of the founders, President and Treasurer, graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration; Mrs. Seymour C. Kolman, the former Helen Seronick of Boston, Mass., Vice President, with 16 years of decorating experience; Mr. Al DeFreest, Store Manager, with 22 years experience in the paint and wallpaper field; Mr. Gary Pullaro, Assistant Manager. The firm serves as the area distributor for Luminall Paints, the original manufacturer for water based paints; for Pratt and Lambert Paints, the brand most frequently specified by architects; for all leading brands of all coverings and wallpapers, including Birge, Greeff, Hobe-Erwin, Katzenbach and Warren, Lloyd, Schumacher, Strahan, Thibaut, United," Van Luit and ~many others; and for dozens of additional lines of highly styled decorator wall coverings including authentic burlaps, corks, flocks, foils, grass cloths, hand prints, murals and silks. In addition to its retail clientele, the company supplies maintenance coatings and heavy-duty vinyl wall coverings to commercial and industrial firms, as well as to institutional customers, including apartment house complexes, camps, motels, schools, etc. With over 57 years of experience serving the county, the company remains interested in retaining old friends, as wel I as making new ones! 1924 SHEA'S RUGS IWWahconah Street Pitts(ield Mass. The company was founded in April 1924 by John J. Shea, Sr.; the present man- -agement is directed by John J. Shea, Jr. The firm was originally a partnership known as Shalett Shea, and dealt mainly in the dry cleaning of rugs and clothing. John Shea, Sr., assumed full ownership of the business in 1937, and in 1947, John J. Shea, Jr. assumed ownership after serving three years in the Army Air Corps. At that time, the firm's main business was cleaning rugs and upholstery; later, carpet sales and furniture reupholstering were added, and still later, expansion included the custom-making of draperies and slipcovers. The company employs ten persons. Recently, Lawrence J. Shea entered the business after serving two years in the Army. Ann C. Shea recently joined firm · as office manager. Present owners are John J. Shea, J r. and Lawrence J. Shea. 1925 BERKSHIRE PRESS, INC. 419 North Street Pittsfield, Mass. · Founded in 1925 by Herbert Johnson,the firm was purchased in 1946 by William Pomerantz, the present owner and manager. Over the years, the company expanded its operations to include offset printing and binding services. Berkshire Press owns its camera equipment and can give immediate service on many types of job work. The firm specializes in plastic binding and can produce any kind of snapset forms on the premises. In 1975, Berkshire Press, Inc. celebrated its 50th year in business! 1935 PITTSFIELD GE EMPLOYEE CREDIT UNION 75 Kellogg Street Pittsfield, Mass. The credit union was organized by 15 employees of the General Electric Company in 1935, for the purpose of assisting employees of the company to save and to provide low cost loans for provident purposes. Operations were carried on at 100 Woodlawn Avenue until January 1971 at which time the credit union moved into its own building at 75 Kellogg Street. Operating under the philosophy of "people helping people," members have received high dividends on savings and low finance charges on loans. The move to their new and modern offices in 1971 allowed the credit union to expand their services. This is reflected in their growth, a doubling of assets in five years, to a total of almost $25,000,000. It is the second largest industrial credit union in Massachusetts. Expansion of services are expected in the future. Present officers are James T. Russell, Jr., President; Arthur D. Vuillemot, Vice President; Paul C. Theilig. Treasurer; Donald D. Lament, Assistant Treasurer; and Robert W. Prendergast, Clerk. 1940 ~ GENERAL PHOTO PRODUCTS COMPANY A Division of Anktn Industries 1C Cole A venue Williamstown, Mass. George Kenneth Campbell purchased Gennert Photo Supply in 1940, changing the name to Anken Company, named for his wife, Ann, and himself. He developed an economical process of copying blueprints and documents in full size, and operated manufacturing facilities in Newton, N.J. in 1944, he purchased the Dassonville Company, and at that time, incorporated the firm to Anken Chemical and Film Corporation. As the product line was expanded and diversified, other manufacturing facilities were purchased from Remington Rano^--one in New Jersey, and another one in Williamstown, Mass. Another company, Ajax Die Casting Plastics in Broken Arrow, Okla. was acquired in 1969. With the phasing out of diffusion transfer products, the unused manufacturing facilities in Newton, N.J. were leased to a new company. General Photo Products Company, manufacturers of graphics arts products. In a restructuring of Anken Chemical and Film Corporation, the General Photo Products Company was acquired, the parent company changed its name to Anken Industries, and the Williamstown plant became part of the General Photo Products division, manufacturing products for the photo-typesetting and graphic industries. Anken Industries purchased the film division of Bell and Howell Company of Chicago in 1973. The name of the company was changed to the Rochester Film Company, and is located in Rochester, N.Y. During 1974, the General Photo Products Company and the Rochester Film Company were merged into the Photo Products Group of Anken Industries, with group headquarters being located in Morristown, N J. The group is headed by J.C. DeGraaf, President, and the Williamstown facility is managed by William F. McNeil, Plant Manager. 1943 BOUNTI-FARE RESTAURANT KM Rowland Avenue Adams, Mass. In 1943, the present property was purchased by Frank R. Dubis. At that time, it was operated and known as the Coun- try Maid Ice Cream Dairy, and had an adjoining dance pavilion. That same year, an established restaurant, known as Panczar's, Inc., with its beer and wine license, was purchased and moved to the location; the name was then changed to the Midway Restaurant Corp. Three years later, a seasonal all- alcohol license was awarded, and the building was renovated and doubled in size. In 1950, the Old Berkshire Inn, with its all year alcohol license, was also purchased and moved to the present site. The building was again renovated and enlarged with banquet facilities and the installation of the largest bar in the county, seating 50. In the center of the bar there is a stage, where entertainment from all parts of the country was performed nightly for many years. In 1956, a new wing was added, consisting of two dining rooms and a new kitchen; in 1972, the function room was enlarged from a seating capacity of 250 to 400 people; in 1974, the name of the restaurant was changed from the Midway Restaurant Corp. to the Bounti-Fare Restaurant, Inc. The firm is now widely known for its gourmet dishes; specialties include baked stuffed shrimp, prime ribs of beef, lobster, steaks, and a large variety of 14 seafood items. We are now an award member of the World Famous Restaurant International, and have been operated by the same family for 35 years. Complete dinners are served Sundays and holidays, noon until 9:00 p.m., weekdays, 4:30 until 10:00 p.m.; the lounge is open until 2:00 a.m. For reservations call 743-0193. 1946 S.S. PIERCE COMPANY BERK. FROSTED BRANCH MIWestHousatonicSt. Pittsfield, Mass. Berkshire Frosted Foods was founded in 1946, and was sold in 1968 to the S.S. Pierce Company of Boston, Mass. In August of 1973, the S.S. Pierce Company and its subsidiaries were acquired by Seneca Foods of Dundee, N.Y. Berkshire Frosted Foods continued to operate as a separate corporated entity of S.S. Pierce until May of 1975, at which time the corporation merged with the S.S. Pierce Company as a single unit. Currently, the former Berkshire Frosted Food distribution centers at Pittsfield and Ludlow, Mass., and Clifton Park, N.Y., operate as the Berkshire Division of the S.S. Pierce Company. The present management of the local branch is as follows: Louis P. Roviaro. General Manager; Charles Carver, Purchasing Director; Thomas H. Gavin, Sales Manager; Donald A. Jamross, Warehouse Supervisor; George Kingsley, Traffic Manager; David Messinger, Office Manager; George Hisert, Comptroller. The division is headed by C.P. Angelini, Vice President of the S.S. Pierce Company. 1946 CHILDS BISHOP INTERIORS 351-357 North Street Pittsfield, Mass. Also known as Chi Ids Bishop Floor Covering, Inc., the firm was founded in 1946. It was then incorporated in 1949. In 1952, the firm bought out a kitchen cabinet manufacturer, who also dealt with countertops and formica work. From there CHILDS BISHOP took on modular cabinets, wall tiling, and more flooring products including carpeting. Using their own cabinet and carpet installers, Childs Bishop began taking on kitchen and bath remodeling jobs, subcontracting the wiring and plumbing. Staying with high-end products and emphasizing quality craftsmanship helps them maintain their high reputation. Today the two major cabinet lines are Mutschler and Wood-Hu, along with Armstrong's flooring and carpet products, and American Olean ceramic tile. The firm is presently managed by Robert H. Childs, President, and David J. Childs, who joined the firm in 1970 and became Vice President of the company this past June. Over the past five years the emphasis has been on offering a complete interior remodeling and design service. 1947 BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC 446 Curran Highway North Adams, Mass. Berkshire Broadcasting Co., Inc. started in November 1947 as the Northern Berkshire Broadcasting Company, a standard 100-watt station operating at 1230 kHz from North Adams, Mass., and WMFM, an FM station which was destroyed by lightning and a resulting fire early in its history. The power of WMNB was later increased to 250 watts and then to 1,000 watts, the maximum currently permitted by the FCC. In '64, FM service was re-established with the con- Continued on next page January 29,] 977 45

Clipped articles people have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 22,700+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra® Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the The Berkshire Eagle
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free