8 THE WISCONSIN JEWISH CHRONICLE April 27, 1923 YOUNG JEWISH LAWYER APPOINTED JUDGE OF DIST. COURT, NEBRASKA Omaha, Nebr. Irvin Stalmaster, 31 years old, a prominent attorney here, was appointed a Judge of the District Court of Nebraska by Gov ernor Adam McMullen. The appointment of Judge Stal master is doubly significant because he is the youngest man ever to hold such a high judicial office in this state and he is the first Jew to hold this high judicial position, which is next to the Supreme Court in jurisdiction. It is believed here that Judge Stalmaster is the youngest man to ever hold this position in the entire United States. i 1 1 - iLJ :-:-:-:-:-x-v: JUDGE IRVIN STALMASTER Judge Stalmaster has so ably distinguished himself at the bar of his native state that he has on several different previous occasions been recommended for the high office of Judge of the District Court but his age has rendered him ineligible. Under the laws of Nebraska judges of the District Court must be at least 30 years of age and Judge Stalmaster will not be 31 years old until June 5. He has practiced law in Omaha for the past eight years following his graduation from the College of Law of Creighton university in 1920. During the past four years he has been associated with Sam Beber in the practice of law in the firm of Stalmaster and Beber. Mr. Beber is the founder of the Order of Aleph Zadik Aleph, the National Boys' Organization sponsored by the B'nai B'rith which he organized in 1924, and is now the National President of its Supreme Advisory Council. Judge Stalmaster has been actively identified with local and national Jewish organizations for many years. In 1919 he was President of the Omaha B'nai B'rith and has ever since that time been active in the affairs of District Grand Lodge No. 6 B'nai B'rith. He is the present chairman for Nebraska in the B'nai B'rith $2,000,000.00 Wider Scope Campaign. In 1921 he was Field Representative for Nebraska in the Jewish War Relief Campaign. In 1924 -he was chairman of the Omaha Campaign for the erection of the B'nai B'rith Infirmary Building of the National Jewish Hospital for consumptives at Denver Colorado and in 1925 he was Nebraska State Chairman for both the United Palestine Appeal and the $5,000,000 campaign of the Jewish Theological Seminary. Judge Stalmaster was married to Estelle Lapidus, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Lapidus. Protestant Bible House in Jerusalem Dedicated Jerusalem. (J.T.A.) The Protestant Bible House was dedicated here with the participation of many representatives of foreign lands who came here to attend the conference of the International Missionary Council. Bishop Maclnnes, Anglican bishop of Jerusalem, presided over the dedication ceremonies. Dr. J. R. Mott, executive secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association in America, and Lady Plumer were among the speakers. Rev. Ritson, secretary of the British Foreign Bible Society, declared in his address that the Bible is now circulated in 605 languages and dialects. The Bible House was erected at a cost of 17,000. East European Jews Eligible For Election in German Kehillah Berlin. (J.T.A.) All factions in Prussian Jewry have united on the text of a bill which is to be presented to the government for promulgating the reorganization of the Jewish communities as the result of a "peace conference." The peace was arrived at during the convention of the Federation of Jewish communities in Prussia which met to discuss the matter. The outstanding feature of the convention was the agreement of the liberals that East European Jews, resident in Prussia, are eligible for election to the communal boards. The text of the bill was then unanimously adopted. Plotzki, Leading Polish Rabbi, Reported Dead Warsaw. (J.T. A.) Rabbi Meir Don Plotzki, vice-president of the Union of Rabbis in Poland, and one of the leading Talmudic authorities in Eastern Europe, died at the age of 61. Death was due to cancer, it was stated. He was known throughout Eastern Europe as the Gaon of Os-trowiec. He visited the United States last year in the interest of a Yeshiva in Warsaw. Anti-Semitism Among Russian Youth Being Combatted Moscow. (J.T.A.) The four Russian youths who attempted to freeze to death Boris Gutcheon, their Jewish fellow student in the high school of Ostashkovo, were expelled from the school. Resolutions of protest against the anti-Semitic incident in the dormitory of the Charkoff universty are being adopted in many high schools in Russia. The resolutions demand "severe measures against anti-Semitism" and "the expulsion of every suspected anti-Semite. Anglo-Jewish Leaders Honor Lucien Wolf London. (J.T.A.) Lucien Wolfe, secretary of the Joint Foreign Committee, the agency of Anglo-Jewry to deal with the problem of protecting the rights of the Jewish groups in Europe, was honored at the monthly session of the Board of Jewish Deputies. In recognition of the completion of 39 years of service in this work, Mr. Wolfe was presented with a check and bonds amounting to $5,000. Foir V A SHORT HISTORY OF THE JEWS OF WISCONSIN (Continued Sefer Torah to Congregation B'ne Jeshurun. Mr. Weil died at the age of 91, in Chicago, in 1893. Ex-Gov. Fairchild, of Wisconsin, on hearing of his death, wrote the family that he hoped the body of Mr. Weil would be buried in the soil of Wisconsin, the state which he did so much to help develop. Mr. Weil was buried in Greenwood cemetery, in Milwaukee. Many Jewish families, early settlers in the state, mostly from Germany, settled in Wisconsin in the period between 1840 and 1850. That there were a number of Jewish settlers in Milwaukee in this decade is evident from the fact that the first Jewish congregation, "Emanu-El," was formed in 1847. Among these who settled in communities outside of Milwaukee were Samuel Snow (Dutch Doc) and J. M. Levy, who came to La Crosse in 1843 and 1845, respectively. Mr. Levy is practically the outstanding founder of La Crosse, doing more for this city f The United States Bureau of Public Roads has recently completed a comprehensive series of tests on Vibrolithic Method Concrete as compared with practically equivalent ordinary concrete. The final report of these tests appeared in the October 1927 issue of "Public Roads," official organ of the United States Department of Agriculture. Government Tests and Reports Show That: Vibrolithic method concrete has greater (up to 43 greater) beam strength and load carrying capacity than equivalent ordinary concrete. Vibrolithic method concrete is more uniform in strength. Vibrolithic method concrete slabs increased in strength 23 as compared with only 10 for ordinary concrete, from age 28 days to age one year. 2 3 Mr. Motorist and Mr. Taxpayer, your automobile license fees and gasoline tax are being spent for good roads, and you travel these roads . . . two reasons why you should be keenly interested in road-building methods. Unless the best practical construction methods are used in building roads designed for heavy travel in your state, these roads will crumble prematurely under the ceaseless pound C"l MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN "Builders of Heavy Duty Pavements from page 1) than perhaps any other one man. He was elected mayor of the town and built several large buildings, including several hotels. Lyon Silverman was a prominent pioneer business man of Ozaukee (Washington) county, located in about 1845, at Mequon, where he kept a store and tavern. The old Webster House at Newburg was built for him in 1848. He served as Democratic state senator in the early fifties. Families by the name of Austrian and Leopold settled in Bayfield in this period. Documents of the State Historical society show that in 1845 there were three Jewish families settled in New Glarus, Wis. Samuel Klauber located in Lake Mills, Wis., in 1848, later removing to Madison, where he became the pioneer Jewish settler, where his brothers, Sigmund, Isaac and Charles, joined him in what later developed into the biggest mercantile establishment in the city. Charles Klauber was one of the first volunteers to join the Union army r? r? I - 11 ram C3 it when the Civil war broke out, serving throughout the - war with the First Wisconsin regiment. Undoubtedly there were many more Jewish families who settled in other communities in the state before 1850, but it is extremely difficult to obtain accurate records of their history. Earliest Jews in Milwaukee There were at least a hundred Jews in Milwaukee prior to 1850, for in 1847 the first congregation was organized. A few years later another congregation was established. Great effort was made by the publishers of this paper to obtain the minute books of these congregations to learn the names of the early settlers, but no trace of them could be found, and there are no other existing records to establish the facts of their activities. It is believed that the first Jewish settler in Milwaukee was Gabriel Schoyer, who arrived here in 1843, and who became the first president of Congregation Emanu-El, in 1847. Among the others who arrived in the late forties were Nathan Pereles, Solomon Adler, Henry Friend, Elias Friend, Bernard Heller, Isaac Neu-stadel, Henry Newhouse, J. M. Hardt, Jacob Frank, Emanuel Shoyer, Isaac Highway OB T7 L3 7yr?r? n ing of constantly increasing wheel loads of motor trucks, motor busses and cars. The Vibrolithic method produces the highest load-carrying capacity of any pavement yet constructed, insuring long life and ultimate lowest cost. By its use in road construction, it saves and will save millions of dollars for the taxpayers. eta 99 Levy, M. Markwell, H. Bonns, Loebel Rindskopf and I. Stransky. Many other families were undoubtedly in the city before 1850. To fully appreciate the significance of these early dates, a brief mention of the outstanding historical events of city and state may be mentioned. Wisconsin was admitted to statehood in 1848. In 1835 Milwaukee contained but five small log houses, including Solomon Juneau's store, and the population numbered no more than 30 souls. In 1843, when the first permanent Jewish settler arrived in Milwaukee, the population of the city was about 4000 people. The first white child born in Milwaukee was born in 1835. The city of Milwaukee was incorporated in 1846. In 1850, the population of the city was about 20,000 and at that time the Jewish population was several hundred. The history of the Jews in Milwaukee is synonymous with the history of Milwaukee itself. Jerusalem. (J.T.A.) A conference of Communist youths which was in session in Tel Aviv was dispersed by the authorities. Fourteen boys, including one Arab, and six girls were arrested.
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 19,000+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month