The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas on September 5, 1952 · Page 7
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas · Page 7

Publication:
Location:
Blytheville, Arkansas
Issue Date:
Friday, September 5, 1952
Page:
Page 7
Start Free Trial
Cancel

AUDITORIUM capacity of tht new high school Is 1,000 person* / —750 on the first floor and 259 In the balcony. At left above ts t view of the 28-feet deep stage from the rear of the auditorium. The balcony, including the motion picture projection booth, lj shown' at right above. CURTAIN opening and closing Is a simple proposition with the motor-driven unit (right) given the school by O. W. McOutchen," owner of the Ritz &nd Rox? Theaters here. The switch shown Above the unit controls the main curtain. Courier News Photos ENTRANCE-to the auditorium Is through the lobby above. JTo the right or the doors Is a marble plaque noting the erection Sate, school board members, builder and architect. The lobby includes a ticket office and two rest rooms. NEARLY A BLOCK in length is the main corridor (below) of the new high school building. Taken , from -the east end, • this view shows the nearly 300-!oot, long corridor extending to the auditorium section. Walls are of tile and plaster and the floors are covered with rubber tile. "_,.-,• '***, a SECOND CURTAIN If located about five t«t behind the main, red velvet curtain. Of a bluish- gray material, it is hand-operated. Both curtains, partially closed, are ahown In the picture at far right. A cyclorama curtain at the rear ol the stage can b« moved forward about six feet. Exits from the stage lead to the band room behind it, to the auditorium floor and to outside the building. Wide doors between the stage and band room simplifies moving of large props onto the stage. HEAT for the new building will be provided by these boilers (far right). A double boiler unit was installed to provide a continuation of heat should one boiler fall. The boiler room Is located off the main corridor near the center wing.- „*- »,««. J- -5 TENNIS COURTS (belor. left) donated by the Student Council are located about 300 feet from the east end ol the building. Work on the two concrete courts was not complete \vhon this picture was taken. FEAR view of the new building Is shown at right b«low. The E- shaped building faces south with the auditorium located on the west end. The large Unk near the center King holdi fuel for tht boilerr LINKING the new building with the old senior high school —now Junior High—is this sidewalk (below) crossing what was known as Spain Bottoms until several old houses were removed and the land filled in, The old school building can be seen at far left. The walk was construct- dc because several classes, such as home economics, shop and physical education, are still held on the old canipus. The area to the left Is to become a track, baseball diamond and practice football field.

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,600+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free