Skip to main content
The largest online newspaper archive

The Tribune from Scranton, Pennsylvania • Page 1

The Tribunei
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Issue Date:
Extracted Article Text (OCR)

The Scranton iy and variable as to at limes, mereiy scpuji stirred the bunting of the fleet an hour and a half after the start. Shamrock got in irons, making an effort to go oi. the port tack. She swung lazily back on the other tack again and went wind hunting in toward the Long Island shore. She got i breeze and tacked on the weather bow of the Columbia, which also went on the starboard tacit.

In several tacks following the Columbia, apparently to the leeward, plainly outfooted the Lipton yacht. A shift of the wind almost to the southeast helped the Columbia, if in the opinion of experts aboard the private boats may be trusted. The talent aboard the Shamrock II decided to get another jib topsail. It was merely a trifle larger than the first and did not affect the situation. The Columbia and the challenger were then heading for the outer mark on the starboard tack.

The breeze had dropped to about four knots, and the Columbia moved indolently around the mark. Her boom swung off slowly to starboard at 3:05:32, and she broke out her immaculate balloon jib topsail. The floating multitude let out all the power of its lungs, sirens screamed, whistles roared or screeched, bands played and cannons punctuated the uproar. MUCH JUBILATION. As it was by a large majority distinctly a Columbia crowd there was much jubilation mingled with the riotous applause.

Nearly all the processions of craft courteously waited for the challenger to round the mark, which she did at 3:12:47, or seven minutes and 15 seconds astern of Columbia. The talent on the Shamrock II was a long time getting out a larger jib topsail. It was thought she would set a balloon, but instead she set a reaching jib topsail. The decision to do this was wise, as the wind began to assume a southwesterly tendency, and Columbia soon doused her balloon and substituted a reaching jib topsail. A further shift to the south of west, and a further dropping of the breeze indicated to the fleet that there was little or no chance of the yachts finishing within the time limit.

The signal telling that it had expired and that the race was off set propellers and paddles going in the only real race of the day the race for the Narrows RACE UNSATISFACTORY. The race was an unsatisfactory one from every point of view. The wind from the time of the start and until the race was declared off was baffling. It was blowing east by north at the start and about eight or nine knots an hour. For about 15 minutes there was every prospect of a good quick race, but then it backed about a point and a half and the Columbia catching this shift first was greatly benefited by it.

It put her well to windward of the Shamrock and Capt. Barr, who is one of the cleverest skippers who ever, sail a few minutes before 1 o'clock, or about an hour and three quarters after they started on the race. The wind in the meantime had been hauling and backing. First a point one way and then a point another, and while both yachts were favored or hurt by these shifts the windward boat usually had the best of the luck and the Columbia got her share today. A few minutes before 1 o'clock the yachts had reach ed a point southward of the Long Beach hotel.

The wind was very light and there was every indication that it would haul more to the southward. Capt. Barr tacked the Columbia and heading to the south was evidently looking for this shift. The Shamrock tried to follow, but after coming up in the wind she got in irons and was hung for a couple of minutes in a flat calm spot. She had just filled away to stand after the Columbia when a better breeze was coming off the shore and Capt.

Sycamore scenting it quick ly, tacked ship again to stand in and meet it. Again the Shamrock was hung up in the same calm spot, but she finally filled away on the starboard tack and getting a little streak coming off the shore headed toward the northwest. At the same time the Columbia was heading south and the yachts were not more than half a mile apart. This will give a fair idea of the condition of the wmd during the race. Capt arr waR forced to stand in after the Shamrock, but the Columbia had lost and when the Shamrock tacked off shore again she crossed Columbia's bow and took the weather position.

They went on for another hour with the Shamrock keeping between the Columbia and the weather mark. The two yachts were very close together and each was handled well. Just before 2 o'clock the wind hauled again toward the south and the Columbia, just as she was tacking to head to the southward, got the shift first and was enabled to again take the lead, which she held until the race was declared off. The manoeuvering at the start was very clever and honors were about even when they went over the line. SHAMROCK'S BEST SHOWING.

It was during the first .15 minutes of the race that the Shamrock showed her best sailing of the day. She footed very fast and was pointing about the same as the Columbia. After 15 minutes' sailing it looked to those astern of the yachts as if the Shamrock by tacking would cross the Columbia's bow, but Just then the wind backed so that Columbia headed up at least a point and a half and got a good weather position. Capt. Sycamore was criticized for sailing his boat In a light breeze with sheets so flat that she was almost dead, and it was thought by many that if they had been started just a little in order to give a better draught to the sails, the Shamrock would have made a better showing in the light air.

In light breezes, such as prevailed today the Shamrock does not seem to be a match for the Columbia. Turning to windward the two boats were very close together all day, but when the wind shifted so that they were able to lay their course to the outer mark the Columbia slowly but surely forged ahead and on the reach home she Improved her position by another half mile. Sir Thomas Lipton and his friends (Continued on Page 2 THE OEilOF WISE Says he Did Xot Tell Schley That Spanish Fleet was Not At Santiago. A LIEUTENANT'S STORY WASHINGTON, Sept. 26.

In his en deavor to carry out the instructions of the navy department to bring before the Schley court of inquiry all the facts relating to Admiral Schley's conduct in the Spanish war, Judge Advocate Lem Iv vestcrday placed on the witness stand Rear Admiral Cotton, who testi fied that he had not told the accused officer, as the latter asserted in a dispatch to Secretary Long, that only the small vessels of the Flying Squadron could coal at Gonaives, Hayti. This statement, attributed by Admiral Schley to Admiral Cotton, then captain of the Harvard, was included "by the former in Admiral Schley's dispatch explaining, among other things, that he was obliged to return to Key West as he could not coal at sea or at the nearby stations of Gonaives or Mole St. Nicholas. During Admiral Cotton's testimony he produced a letter which he said he had received from Admiral Schley by the Scorpion at 5:30, May 24, 1898, while the Harvard was off Santiago and the Flylng'Squadron, under Schley still at Cienfuegos. The importance of this letter, seemingly a routine order from Admiral Schley, was not disclosed at the time but if may become the most sensational piece of evidence offered in that it is apparently to be used to show that Admiral Schley in his defense to the Senate commission on naval affairs did not make a truthful statement when he said that the "Dear letter of instructions from Sampson had not been received until May 23, the day he got Sampson's order to proceed to Santiago if he were satisfied that the Spanish fleet was not at Cienfuegos.

LIEUT. WOOD'S EVIDENCE. Today the judge advocate began his effort to show that the "Dear Schley" letter had been delivered to Admiral Schley on the morning of May 22 and not on the following day, but when the court adjourned after a session lasting less than two hours, he had not gone farther than producing one witness, Lieut. Wood of the Dupont, used as a dispatch boat in the war with Spain, who testified to having delivered to Admiral Schley, at Cienfuegos, on May 22, certain dispatches which he had received i'rom Admiral Sampson at Key West on May 20, the date of the "Dear Schley" letter. rjout.

wooi'dii) nut Know' Trie con in nf th.n&4tartath.. i 4 apparently the purpose of the judge advocate to attempt to show that the "Dear Schley" letter was among them. In order to enable court and counsel to attend the funeral of Judge Wilson, senior counsel for Admiral Schley, who died suddenly on Tuesday, only on session from 11 to 1 was held today. Several witnesses were examined. Captain Wise, who took the stand yesterday and under objection from Mr.

Rayner was not permitted to tell of a conversation about Admiral Schley to which Admiral Schley was not pary, was recalled this morning and testified that he had not told the officer under investigation (as the latter asserted in his defense to the Senate committee) that he had seen nothing of the Spanish squadron at Santiago after having been there a week. It was also devolved that orders from the navy department to Capt. Wise to communicate all he knew to Admiral Schley had nof! been carried out. Capt. Wise's explanation was that he had given what information he had secured at Santiago to Capt.

Sigsbee and supposed the latter had communicated it to Admiral Schley. To the court he said that he had not directed Capt. Sigsbee to tell Admjral Schley the information in question. Another witness was a chief machinist ot the Texas who testified that the starboard engine of that vessel had been stopped and reversed during the battle witb Cervera's flefct, thus confirming Lieut. Commander Heilner's previous evidence that it was necessary to stop and back up to prevent the Texas from colliding with the Brooklyn while she was executing the "loop" movement.

SCHLEY CONTRADICTED. Capt. William C. Wise, who com manded the Yale in the Spanish war, resumed the stand hen the Schley court of inquiry reopened this morning. Capt.

Wise told yesterday of meeting the Flying Squadron about 25 miles southeast of Santiago on the evening of Thursday, May. 2(1, when Schley began his retrograde movement, and said he had been ordered to take the Merri mac In tow, without having a chance to communicate with the commander in chief. Once again was an official statement of Admiral Schley directly contradict ed on oath by a high officer of the navy. The judge advocate general read the following from Schley's letter to the Senate: "After having been informed by the scouts, commanded by such officers as Sigsbee, Jewell and Wise, that although they had all been off Santiago de Cuba for a week, they had seen nothing of It, and. knew nothing of Its movements or whereabouts since it left C'uracoa Then he asked: "Did you inform the commodore any such thing as here stated?" "I did not," replied Capt.

Wise. MOVEMENT TOWARD KEY WEST. Capt. Wise described his movements after reaching the Flying Squadron on the evening of May 2((. He said he took the Merrlmac In tow, as ordered by Schley.

The flagship asked him, by signal, If he hud coal enough to reach Key West, ad he replied that he had. He was then asked what speed he could make, and he answered about nine knots while towing the collier. He saw the signal made from the flagship that; the destination of the fleet was Key West via ucatan channel, speed nine knots. The squadron steamed west till about 11 o'clock that night, when the tow line of the Merrlmac parted. After bending it on again they steamed west DPUBHCAN WARMER TODAY FAIR TOMORROW.


CONTEST NOT FINISHED Time Limit Had Expired Before the Light Winds Enabled Yachts to Beach Home. NEW YORK, Sept. 26. It looks as if the treasured cup wrestled from English yachtsman fifty years ago will not take a voyage over seas this season. The attempt today at a race between the slippery Columbia and the lissome Shamrock II demonstrated, in the opinion of many expert Yankee skippers wSo viewed the contest from the deck of attending steam crafts, that the Herreshoff creation is the better ship in light weather.

She appeared, when the gentle breeze held true and did not favor one yacht more than the other, to be abler on the wind and swifter in footing. The Shamrock was somewhat sluggish in stays as compared with the alert Yankee defender. The breeze, which never got beyond the dignity of what, according to the Beaufort scale, would be called a light breeze, that is, 11 knots, at times shifted in a manner favoring the Columbia. There were other times when a shift or a lull were distinctly favorable to the challenger, which on these occasions obtained a slight advantage over her rival; but, on the whole, the honors were with the Columbia, and unless the Shamrock develops better form she will have a hard time of it "lifting" that cup. When the race was called off, because of the expiration of the time limit of five and one half hours, the Columbia was about a mile ahead of the Lipton yacht, and about seven miles from the finish.

In the windward work of 15 miles from the relief of the Sandy Hook lightship to a point down the Long Island coast, within easy sight of the shore, the Columbia beat the challenger by seven minutes and three seconds. Fluky and puffy airs were the rule in the beat. The marvel lous and ghost like way the defender sneaked through the Briton's lee and up on her weather bow when tb.cteUp,"gooaTuckand management, drew forth the admiration of the flotilla of patriots and astonished hundreds on the great visiting foreign fleet. The peaceful argosy of paddlewheels and screws that decorously, and at a proper distance, churned the waters off the Hook into snowy ferment, was not so large, perhaps, as on some other occasions when Titantic single stickers tussled for glory. But among the fleet were the most resplendent steam yachts in the world, representing men and women with millions.

The great merchant steamers pressed into service as excursion crafts, and the big side wheelers of this and nearby ports, were black with spectators, who, because of the effective revenue cutter patrol, got only long distance views of the "unfinished battle. Some of the big craft that held tier on tier of enthusiasts, were the Chester W. Chapin, with the New York Yacht club members and their friends aboard; the Gay Head, chartered by the Atlantic Yacht club and jammed with humanity; La Grande Duchesse, on which the Larchmont yachtsmen made an effort to see things; the City of Lowell, used by the Indian Harbor Yacht club and the North Star, carrying the Seawun haka Corinthians. SHAMROCK LOOKED DANGEROUS. After casting off their lines the Briton and the Yankee broke out their foresails and jibs.

They had already hoisted mainsails and club topsails, i while in tow. No muslin ever designed et more perfectly than that of Shamrock II. It was of a mellow, gold suggestive hue when the sun shone through it and it looked as if it wer; carved from stone rather than ths mere fabric of a sail maker. There was no doubt about it, the sails of the challenger and her slim and graceful hull, shimmering like polished copper, made her look decidedly wicked. After even the smallest of the flotilla had helped to contribute her murmur of propeller or paddle to the general thrashing and sir ashing of swells, and everybody was impatient for the gladiators to enter the arena; bunting fluttered from the signal halliards of the two stacked ocean tug Navigator, the regatta committee's boat, which anchored about south by east of the lightship.

Then the crowded excursion boats dipped their guard rails under and all hands crowded to the sides nearest the yachts, now ma noeuvering back of the line. Capt. Charlie Barr of the Columbia showed that he was quite equal to Capt. Sycamore as a jockey. When the starting gun boomed the yachts were fighting for the weather berth in crossing.

Shamrock II forced the Columbia over the line a moment before gun fire and in doing so went over herself. Both yachts were recalled. They managed to get back, and this time Barr was cleverer than the Briton, crossing 12 seconds' ahead of him. ON PORT TACK. Both yachts were on the port tack.

It was difficult to tell, because of the varying angles of view from following craft, which of the contending ships had the advantage. The course wan east by north, from which point the breeze was then making an effort to blow about ten knots, it was seen, after a series of tacks by both yachts that the Columbia had weathered her antagonist. She went on the port tack about 40 minutes after the start and crossed the Snamrock'B bows, probably 150 yards ahead of her. The till about 5:30 o'clock in the morning of Friday, May 27, when he reported that the Merrimac would be able to proceed under her own steam at a speed of five or six nots, and asked if he should cast off. The commodore replied "No." That night, the Texas coaled from the Merrimac.

The Yale was sent to Port Antonio. "Had the weather anything to do with the slipping of the Merrimac's towline?" the witness was asked. "Nothing whatever," he replied. CAPT. VWISE CROSS EXAMINED.

The cross examination by Mr. Ray ner, Schley's counsel, was devoted to an effort to make it appear that Cant. Wise had not done his full duty in ascertaining for himself, about the presence of the Spanish fleet nd noti fying Schley. Capt. Wise repeated that the commodore had given him no opportunity, and that as Capt.

Sigsbee, in possession of the facts, had gone aboard the Brooklyn, he considered it Capt. Sigsbee's duty to tell the com mander in chief all he knew. Mr. Hanna asked: "Did the com mander in chief ask you for any information at any time?" "He did not," replied Caut. Wise.

Mr. Rayner read from the Brooklyn signal book a number of signals made between the Yale and the Brooklyn, in an apparent attempt to show that Capt. AVise had opportunity to communicate with the commodore. The signals were all in relation to the towing of the Merrimac. In answer to Rayner Capt.

Wise said that later he had informed Schley that he believed the harbor of Santiago to be strongly fortified Capt. Parker took a hand and ask. ed: "Was there ever a time after you reached the flying squadron that you could not have communicated by sig nal information about the presence of the Spanish squadron to the com mander in chief?" This rather unfortunate for Capt. Parker, for it brought out the direct statement from Capt. Wise that he considered that he had officially communicated the information to Schley, through Capt.

Sigsbee. I did notify Commodore Schley," said Capt. Wise, "notified him officially through Capt. Sigsbee." QUESTIONED BY THE COURT. The court asked these questions: Q.

Did the batteries at Santiago Harbor entrance fire upon the Yale while she was reconnoitering? A No. Q. Who was senior officer off San tiago prior to the arrival of the flying squadron? A I was, until the arrival of Capt. Cotton on May 23, and I was after Capt. Cotton left on May 24.

Q. Did you or did you not direct Capt. Sigsbee to give Commodore Schley the information conveyed to you by the navy' department? AT I did not. ADMIRAL COTTON RECALLED. Capt.

Wise was then excused and ake the formal corrections in the re port of his testimony as printed. There were no essential changes. In reply to the judge advocate gener al Admiral Cotton told of going aboard the Brooklyn on the morning of May 31. The commodore informed me," he said, "that some of Cervera's ships were inside, that they had been seen, that even at that moment one of them was in sight at the entrance to the harbor. Commodore Schley said to me: After dinner I am going to hoist my flag on the Massachusetts and take her and the Iowa and go in and have a pop shot at those "Did he say anything else?" "I cannot recall the exact SAYS THE TEXAS WAS BACKED.

Admiral Cotton was excused and William C. Gray, who was chief ma chinist on the Texas during the war took the stand. He testified that he was on duty in the starboard engine room of the Texas on the day of the battle, and that, soon after the bat tie began, the engine was reversed, In response to a bell signal. He asked somebody on board why the ship was backed and was told that the Brooklyn had just crossed her bows. LIEUT.

WOOD'S TESTIMONY. Lieut. Spencer S. Wood, 'who com manded the torpedo boat Dupont in the war, took the stand. He testified that the Dupont coaled off Cienfuegos on May 22, 23 and 24.

On May 22 she coaled from the Merrimac by boats of the Brooklyn, on May 23 she coaled directly from the Merrimac and on May 24 she coaled by boats of the Iowa. He delivered dispatches from Admiral Sampson to Schley at I) i. m. on Sunday, May 22. "I delivered these dispatches person said Lieut.

Wood. "I did not know what the dispatches were, but while aboard the Brooklyn I gathered the general tenor of them. Commodore Schley, read the dispatches in my presence. He seemed very nervous. He got up and walked around, sat down, got up again, and seemed gen erally peturbed.

He asked me a great many questions about Admiral Sampson's Information and intentions, but I couldn't answer them, as I knew nothing about it." The Dupont, Lieut. Wood testified left Key West at 11:30 p. m. on May 20. Admiral Sampson told him that the dispatches he carried were du plicates of those already forwarded by the Iowa.

The Dupont was sent be cause the admiral thought she would reach Schley before the Iowa. The Dupont passed the Iowa on the way. Mr. Rayner asked some questions bearing on the signals seen at Cienfuegos. The' witness said he had seen them, and he had heard at KeyWest that McCalla had made arrangements with the Insurgents.

Court adjourned promptly at 1 o'clock for the day. TAYLOR DEFEATED KRAMER. Ths Dusky Champion Did Consider able to Redeem Himself. NEW YORK, Sept. 20.

"Major" Tay. lor, the dusky bicycle champion of last year, who was beaten this season in the N. A. C. point competition by Frank L.

Kramer, took one step towarcf redeem lng hlmself to night by defeating Kramer In two straight mile heats at Madison Squnre Garden. I There wag no pace and both times Taylor made the champion "show the way." Kramer had the pole in each heat and Taylor played French tactics on him and dropped in behind. CZOLGOSZSENTEHCED Assassin of JlcKinley to Die in Electric Chair the Week of 'of October 28. IN FEAR AND TREMBLING BUFFALO, N. Sept.

20. Justice White this afternoon sentenced Leon F. Czolgosz to death, at Auburn prison during the week of October 28. The assassin of President McKinley received the sentence standing, with his hand on the back of a chair. He had meant to make an address to the court, but his voice failed him and he could only struggle through a few words in a tone so low that they did not reach Justice WThite, and each answer had to be repeated by the counsel.

Greater curiosity to see the prisoner was manifested today than at any "of his appearances since the day of his crime. All were curious to see how he would receive the sentence and to hear him if he essayed a speech. The crowd which managed to pass the outer guards and enter the city hall upset all the arrangements of the police and the sheriff. There was a division of authority today which resulted in the police and the sheriff passing into the court room so many men and women that the jam was most uncomfortable. Women were present in large numbers.

They stood on the benches in the rear of the court room, stood on chairs and sat in strange men's laps, indeed, tried to take the justice's own chair in their anxiety to see the murderer. It was 5 minutes before the time for convening court when the assassin was brought in. He looked better than on Tuesday. His hair had been trim med by the jail barber and he had been shaved. A new shirt, white, with a dark stripe in it, was furnished to him by the sheriff and his blue bow tie had been replaced with one of water blue silk, tied four in hand fashion in a turnover collar.

ASSASSIN WAS NERVOUS. He had scrubbed his face well and two red spots shone on his cheeks But he was nervous and his left hand visited his coat pocket from time to time, brought out the handkerchief and wiped his face. Judge Titus and Carl ton Ladd, of his counsel, sat with him. Judge Lewis was not in court. The session in court today lasted 11 minutes.

Justice White took the bench at 2:02 o'clock. District Attorney Penney advanced and looking at the assassin said in a clear voice; "I move sentence in the case ot the people against Leon F. Czolgosz, your honor." Then to the assassin, Stand up, Czolgosz, please." The assassin arose and steadied himself by resting his left hand on the back of the chair in front of him. Crier Hess then swore Czolgosz. "Make true answers to such questions as shall be put to you." Mr.

Penney proceeded to ask him the usual questions, to which he answered in a low voice. He seemed unable to control his vocal cords. In answer to questions he said he was 28 years old, was born in Detroit and had lived last aNowak's hotel in Broadway, Buffalo. He gave his trade as a laborer, and said he was single. He had 'attended small common schools and the schools of the Catholic church.

He had attended the Catholic church. His mother was dead and his father was living. Mr. Penney then asked: "Are you temperate? Do you know what that means?" A. No, sir.

Q. Do you drink intoxicating liquors much? A. No, sir; don't drink too much. Q. You never get drunk? Have you been in the habit of getting drunk? You are not, are you? The court Pass to something else, Mr.

Penney. Q. Have you been convicted of any crime before this? A. No, sir. He was then asked if he had any legal cause to show why sentence of the court should not now be pronounced against him.

The question had to be repeated twice and then he replied in the negative. WANTED TO MAKE STATEMENT. Questioned further he said he would like to make a statement. The court pointed out that what he said must relate explicitly to the subject in hand, he might claim he was insane or that he had good cause to offer either for an arrest or the judgment or for a new trial. The defendant said he had nothing to say about that.

Judge Titus, after conferring with the prisoner, said he thought he ought to be permitted to make a statement in explanation of his family. The court finally allowed Czolgosz to proceed. The defendant I would like to say this much. That the crime was com milled by no one else but me; no one told me to do it, and I never told any body to do it. Mr.

Titus Your father and mother had nothing to do with it? The defendant No, sir; not only my father and my mother, but there hasn't anybody else had nothing to do with this. He spoke so low that Mr. Titus had to repeat his words to the court. Then the defendant went on: "I never told anything to nobody. I never told anything of the kind.

I never thought of that until a couple of days before I committed the crime." This also had to be repeated. The court Anything further, Czol gosz? The defendant No, sir. SENTENCE PRONOUNCED. The court Czolgosz, in taking the life of our beloved president you committed a crime which shocked and outraged the moral sense of the civilized world. You have confessed your guilt, and, after learning all that at this time can be learned of the facts and clr (Continued on Page 2 WOMAN SERVED IN ARMY.

Accident to her Child Produced Revelation, of Sex. CHICAGO, Sept. 26. An accident to her 3 year old child so affected a mother, who for the past four months, disguised in man's clothing, had served as a soldier at Fort Sheridan, that she burst into hysterical tears and revealed her sex. The child was hurt Saturday morning, and after remaining with it at the post hospital all day, the mother suddenly disappeared, without disclosing more of her identity.

During the months that the woman had been at Fort Sheridan she had been living with a tailor, Ruf us White. To the public she passed as his brother. It now appears she was In reality his wife. The little girl, which accompanied the "brother," was reported to have lost its mother a few months before coming to the fort. The child did not live with Wrhite and his "brother," but in order more fully to conceal her sex the mother placed the girl in the home of Hospital Steward Manning.

The woman soldier assist' ed White in his work as a tailor. Until the accident to the Utile girl no one at the post suspected that the second tailor in the shop was not man. The two tailors ate at the mess hall with the soldiers and other attaches to the fort. The woman en tered into the sports and revels of the soldiers with all the zest possible to man. In the evenings she joined them in their games, and, it is said, gam bled and smoked like an experienced trooper.

SHAFFER WANTS HIS OWN ARBITRATORS Is Willing to Have his Accusation Against Mitchell and Gompers Fully Investigated. PITTSBURG, Sept. 20. President J. Shaffer of the Amalgamated asso ciation will not pick from the list of labor leaders named by President Sam uel Gompers of the American Federa tion of Labor and President John Mitchell of the United Mine Workers of America, men to pass on the trut of the charges Shaffer made against these leaders in his statement of the steel strike settlement.

The Amalgamated president said to day that while he knew some of the men named by Gompers and Mitchell personally, and all are Identified with labor bodies affiliated with the Ameri can Federation of Labor, he prefers to do some of the choosing and to have the investigation, which he courts, go ahead, conducted as by an arbitration board He names as his representative President Simon (Burns of the Window Glass Workers' asso ciation. President Shaffer said that he had not received th official Gompers Mitchell letter, but that he is willing to have investigated his statements al leging that Gompers failed to act cording to promise when by meeting J. P. Morgan he could have arranged an advantageous settlement of the steel strike and that Mitchell failed to make good a promise to call out th miners at failure to have the steel cor poration accept the National Civic Federation strike settlement terms. BRYAN FOR FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND PRESS He Also Advises President Roosevelt Not to be a Candidate to Succeed Himself.

LINCOLN, Sept. 26. Mr. Bry an's leading editorial in the Commoner today is a defense of free speech. He says in part: "Some of the Republican papers are suggesting limitations upon the free dom of speech as a cure for anarchy.

The editor of the Commoner has as much reason as any living man to know of the abuse sometfhies heaped upon candidates for office. He has been the victim of as much malice and vituperation as ever have been played against an American, and yet he is op posed to placing any additional re striction upon the freedom of speech or of the freedom of the press. "First, because the evils of restriction are greater than the evils of freedom, and, second, because abuse does not harm the man or the party made the subject of attack." Mr. Bryan has a word of advice to President Roosevelt. It Is not to be a candidate for re election.

He says: "If President Roosevelt will an nounce his determination not to be a candidate for re nomlnatlon he will be relieved of a great deal of embar rassment and anxiety, and he will find sufficient 'strenuous life' In an effort to make his administration conspicu ous for its honesty and efficiency. If he intends to appear before the next Republican convention as a candidate he must prepare to fight the bosses of his party or to surrender to them. He is aware of the fact that the Republican organization did not look with favor upon his candidacy; he was thought' to be too independent. If he is indepen dent and does his own thinking he will alienate those gentlemen (It is not necessary to name them) who Insist upon controlling political affairs In their various sections." STREET CAR MEN MEET. A special meeting of the street car men was held this morning at 2 o'clock to investigate the charges against two conductors recently dismissed.

The meeting was well attended and a spirit of determination was manifest among the men. The report of the committee appointed to Investigate was read and a committee appointed to wait on Manager Silliman. What the investigation of the charges will lead to Is mere surmise as the men refuse to commit themselves, but It is Intimated that they will accept no alternative but re lnstatement. Marine Intelligence. NEW YORK.

Sept. 26. Arrived: SS. Deutsehland, Hamburg; Servla, Liverpool; Dlamant, Rotterdam, Arrived out: SS. Columbia, from New York at Plymouth, IT KILLED SIX ME Explosion of a Big Oil Tank of the Essex and Hudson Gas Tank Company, Newark.

SEVERAL OTHER MEN HURT NEW YORK, Sept. 20. Six merl were killed and six or seven were more or less severely burned or bruised by! the explosion of a big oil tank at the Front street plant of the Essex and Hudson Gas company on the bank oC the Passaic river in Newark this after noon. There was intense excitement at the gas works for 15 or 20 minutes) before the explosion, and just how 14 occurred is a matter of speculation, but it developed great heroism upon the part of four of the victims who are dead. The tank, which was about 30 feet in diameter and 20 feet high, was used for volatilizing crude oil for enriching illuminating gas, and It was) necessary to empty and clean It at Intervals; but orders were Issued that the manhole at the top should be left open for a fortnight to thoroughly ventilate the tank before men should enter it.

According to the story told by Secretary James P. Dusenberry of the gas company, this rule had been disobeyed, and one of the cleaners entered the tank after it had been open less than six hours and without tying a rope around his body. He was instantly overcome by the naphtha fumes and another workman, without a rope, went down into the tank to rescue him. He, too, was overcome, and a third man, disregarding the warnings of his comrades, went down. Superintendent Theodore Bunker of 08 Park Place arrived at this moment and went to the top of the tank with two men who had long ropes attached to their waists.

At the same time several men were cutting the heads from the rivets holding one of the plates at the lower edge of the tank for the purpose of letting the heavy vapor flow out. It Is supposed that a spark from a chisel set Are to the gas In the tank. There was an explosion which rent the tank and blew off Its top. Bunker and his two companions were blown Into the yard and badly burned by the flames which arose. Other workmen were knocked down, burned and bruised by the explosion and one man was thrown into the river.


HENRY MILLER. The most seriously Injured wera Thoedore Bunker, the superintendent, and Salvadore Niccetro, CASKET OF LINCOLN. Eighteen Persons Gazed Upon Remains of Great Emancipator. SPRINGFIELD, 111., Sept. 2fi.

Abraham Lincoln's casket was chiselled open to day, 18 persons gazed upon the features of the long dead first martyred president and great emancipator, ami then the casket, holding all that wad mortal of the honored dead, was linally laid away for the thirteenth time. Lincoln was a busy man through his life. His friends have been busy Willi his remains since his death. Previous lo to tlay, the casket has been moved from its resting place 1 times, while this made the 13th. Each removal was thought to be the last.

Now, it declared, there can never again be an occasion for disturbing the resting place, which is inside an Iron cage Imbedded in a huge block of cement beneath the tomb of the Lincoln monument In Oukridge cemetery. The casket was opened as it, matter of identification. The remains were found In a good state of preserva tion. REBEL GOVERNOR CAUGHT. Atienza, of Mindoro, and Seven of his Staff Made Prisoners.

MANILA, Sept. 20. Maj. Filelier has captured Gov. Atienza of the Island of Mindoro, with seven of his staff.

There have been many surrenders of in surgents in the Camarines and on tho lsliind of Siimnr. The depleted bands of the Insurgent General Malvar, continue vo dodge tlia most active American commands. Thes like the insurgent, are operating li smnll detachments. The custom receipts show an encour aging increase despite the present depression caused by the delay In putting the new tariff Into operation. This will take place on November 13.

The Philippine commission has decided to transfer Jurisdiction over the harbor of Cnvlte to the navy. Nine companies of artillery will sail for the I'nited States on September 30 on the transport Meade. THE WEATHER. WASHINGTON, Sept. For Eastern Pennsylvania: Fuir, warmer Friday; Saturday fair; light to fresh south winds.

For Western Pennsylvania: Fair Fri day; warmf.r In south portion; Saturduy fair; light to fresh south winds. U. 8. WEATHER BUREAU. Temp.

Temp. sr? tr. Oi i a i ft Stations. Stations. 38 60 DO 58 7fl 78 78 82 811 (12 7(1 (12 0, Memphis 04 0Milwauke58 0 Montreal 3(1 0 N.OrlennsfSS 84 (IS 4(1 84 on 70 74 74 54 5(1 74 54 (W 63 58 (18 88 04 84 0 0 0 0 (I 0 (I 0 .111 0 v40 0 0 0 Blngmton 32 44 40 0 Charlestn 08 Chattan.

5(1 58 38 54 DodgeCy 4(1 Erie SO Ft Smith 4 York N.Platte. 0 Oswego. 0 Phlladel. OjPittHburg 0 1 Rochester 42 no 80 58 S.Frisco. 52 Scranton 42 Spokane.

46 St. Louis (10 St. Paul. 48 Galvestn 72 34 Jacksvllle 70 78 1.22 KeyWftst 72 Knoxvllle 54 84 .30 80 0 80 0 72 od Ang. 50 5 Louisville 58 84 OWasliton.


Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 300+ newspapers from the 1700's - 2000's
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

About The Tribune Archive

Pages Available:
Years Available: