The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas on August 23, 1952 · Page 3
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas · Page 3

Publication:
Location:
Blytheville, Arkansas
Issue Date:
Saturday, August 23, 1952
Page:
Page 3
Start Free Trial
Cancel

SATURDAY, AUGUST 23, 1952 BLYTHEVIU.E (ARK.) COURIER NEWS Blytheville Baptists to Move into New $378,259 Sanauarv B^IHflHPGmi^MRBK'^v T/ *~" "" • •-r-—-,, •-.•'• . „.-.,-._..,,., „_____„._ -/ PAGE THREE Tomorrow :. '-%j$ &r T ^.®0 . .... ' | -/«d» ! »' |v " lf »!» • . tt' — ? : ^f;!{ HfcU* Wsicaa, ^ p»*- C Sanctuary . . . <nbov«, left): Facing walnut Street to the cost of the old church structure, the new sanctuary is 137 feet long and 95 and one-half feet wide. Seating 619 persons In pews and more than 1.000 by using additional chairs, the structure is of buff briclt with reinforced concrete floors and tile roofing shingles. Stone work Is of Indiana limestone. The building contains eight classrooms and three offices and ducts for futllr« sir conditioning have been Installed. Main Window . . . , . . (above, right): In the center of the front of the building, above the,main entrance, it thlj large window of hand-painted stained glass. The symbols on Inn glass in (his window depict the Trinity. The window was given the church as a memorial lo Mr. and Mrs. James F. Tompbins bj the Tompklnj family. The Chancel.,. • . . (left): Tills view, looking from the. rear of the sanctuary, shows the chancel. Including th's pulpit and choir loft, nnd the oak pewa. In >the center aisle may be Been a portion of the wall-to-wall carpeting of wool velvet. All chancel furniture also is of oufc. Behind the curtain In the center of the rear wall Is the baptistry. Above and on both sides of tho choir loft are the organ chnmber.i for tho three-manual, 2,086-plpe or^an. Clerestory Windows . . . . . . (right): AtariR both sldei of the sanctuary above the aisle windows are tlie.^e clf-restory windows of hand-painted and kiln- burned stained glass. Many of these windows have been donated to the church as memorials. / 1 )' The Balcony 'S X peted In wool velvet. Ceiling Arches . . . The sanctuary's Building Committee . , . . . . (far left): Members ol the church's Building Committee wlio were named to head the sanctuary project In 1947 are (left lo rlsht) Alvin Huffman. Jr., Kendall Berry, Chris Tompklns, the t!cv. E. C. Brown. Charlrs f.cmons, Charles Ray .Ne'ACotnb and Rosco Crafton. The Pastor . . . . . . <le!t): The Rev. s. O. Bro'.vn became p^.lor o[ the First Baptist Church here In October, 1913. two years alter the first funds were set aside for a new ftmcluary. Since be has been pastor, (he fund has Krown from & little more than «10.000 in 1543 to the amount needed to erect th» WX.n<) structure. (Courier News Photos)

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free