Skip to main content
The largest online newspaper archive
A Publisher Extra® Newspaper

The Boston Globe from Boston, Massachusetts • 17

The Boston Globei
Boston, Massachusetts
Issue Date:
Extracted Article Text (OCR)

The Economy Page 19 Mary Lou left to die, pathologist testifies By Gloria Negri Globe Staff NEW BEDFORD A state pathologist said OUT TO LUNCHSUSAN TRAISCH Watch out! mix-ups are an alien plot yesterday that an autopsy on the body of 15-year-old Mary Lou Arruda of Raynham showed she had been alive when she was tied to a tree and had been left to die in Freetown State Forest late last year. Dr. Ambrose Keeley of Norweu, testifying in Bristol County Superior Court, gave "postural He said also the fact that clogs were still on the girl's feet indicated "she was alive and walked to the tree, rather than being dragged to the tree." Keeley said: "Death occurred not a great deal of time after she was tied to the tree." Asked by Prosecutor Lance J. Garth if the young woman had been sexually molested, Keeley said: "I found no evidence that her clothing had been disturbed." He said he was unable to perform routine tests to determine sexual molestation because of decomposition of the body. He said he found "no evidence of hemorrhaging on the body nor of any penetrating wound such as gunshot or stab wound." He said the fact that there was no blood on the girl's clothing indicated to him "there was no throat cut" Attorney Edward Reservitz asked Keeley about the possibility that Mary Lou could have died of cardiac arrest while she was tied to the When Mary Lou's body was found on Nov.

11, 1978, she had been tied with twine by the neck to a young tree on a slope in the forest That part of the tree is among trial exhibits. Police believe Mary Lou was kidnaped as she cycled home from a friend's house the afternoon of Sept. 8. They believe she was abducted between 4 and 4:30 p.nL, which was the last time she was seen cycling on Dean street, Raynham. Her 10-speed bicycle was found in a wooded area about half a mile from her home shortly after her parents, Adrian and Joanne Arruda, reported her missing.

Kater was the manager of a Brockton doughnut shop at the time he was charged. Keeley said he performed the autopsy on Mary Lou last Nov. 12 and was led to believe the girl was alive when she was tied to the tree because a clump of her hair had been attached to the tree, indicating movement tree and he replied: "Yes." Before resting its case, the state called several witnesses to testify on the defendant's movements on the day Mary Lou disappeared. They included a checkout woman from Bradlee's at the Westgate Mall, her boss, a furniture deliverer and a coworker of Kater at the donut shop. Earlier in the trial, Raynham Police Sgt Louis Pacheco testified that Kater had told him he went to an ice cream store and restaurant on Brockton's East Side near his home at 4:15 ro, the day the girl disappeared.

From there, Kater said he went to the post office, then to an optician's shop (without going in), to the Westgate Mall, where he purchased a blouse for his fiancee, to a car wash, to his place of employment back home at 7:15 p.m., to a relative's house with his fiancee and their dog, back to the Westgate Mall, and finally, about 8:30 p.m., home to bed. asphyxiation" (strangulation because of the position of the body) as the possible cause of Mary Lou's death. James M. Kater, 33, of Brockton, is charged with the abduction and murder of the Arruda girl, who was a sophomore at Bridgewater-Raynham High School when she disappeared on Sept. 8, 1978.

Judge James P. Maguire is presiding over the trial, which is in its second week. UYQ Power fails Ait i i-Ov'i ST for 2oaooo in -3 states JSteVl "There's been some sort of mix-up." For those of you lucky enough not to recognize that, it's rapidly becoming the national motto. Any day now it's going to replace Pluribus Unum on the coins. "There's been some sort of mix-up" in your reservations, in your order, in your test scores, in your X-rays, in your file, in your form, in your life.

Imagine the surprise of a Boston postal clerk recently informed by headquarters that he had died termination check enclosed. When he notified the office that he was breathing, he got word that "some sort of mix-up" in the data services system had caused the wrong papers to be sent out Actually, they meant to tell him he'd been promoted. Talk about getting kicked upstairs. And he laughed about as hard as a friend of mine did when the hotel clerks told him he wasn't there. "There is no one by that name registered at our hotel," they said after he'd been in the place for two days and had come to the desk to ask why he wasn't receiving phone messages.

"But I'm here," he said. "I signed the book." "We've got someone else's name down for your room," they said, and it went on into the night. So did the income tax fiasco. Actually that went on for three years. The IRS thought I owed the government money and when the IRS thinks a person owes the government money, things can get intense.

Not that the IRS people weren't friendly. They were all helpful and understanding and realized that there had sort of mix-up" in their records. But none of them could stop the dunning letters and the language in the Washington communiques kept getting more and more terse. What started out in 1975 as "Dear Taxypayer: Please pay the enclosed promptly" became "The law authorizes us to seize your property, wages and other "They're going to get my assets," I told a friendly IRS person last winter. "Don't worry," she said.

"We've assigned a specialist to your case." Nary a word or letter has come from the government since, and I can't help feeling that somewhere out there an unflinching specialist has his thumb in a computer and is holding back the tide of paper that wants to burst forth out of control once again. So many places seem to be at war with themselves that way. On one side is the much-needed, carefully-designed system devised to make the world run smoothly. On the other side are people trying to figure out what they've asked it to do and very often trying to stop it. "This is really weird," a billing supervisor at a publishing company said after being infomed that her department had suddenly mailed out an invoice for a bill paid last August.

"We had everything set to send your tickets 10 days before your flight," the puzzled airlines clerk said five days before the flight when the tickets hadn't arrived yet. "I don't know how that happened." Neither did the organizers of a Boston company car pool pairing program that matched a man from Gloucester with the head of the Tokyo office. "You drive," the Gloucester man wrote in his cable to Japan. Til bring the donuts." Don't turn around and stare at anybody, but I think we've been invaded. After years of research into unexplained office phenomena, I'm convinced that's the answer.

Aliens from outer space have found our weak spot and have quietly moved into the back offices of the world so they can drive us mad with bizarre bureacratic static. The project is near completion. Pretty soon the entire planet will be talking to itself as people find themselves unable to cope, surrounded by high-powered multimillion dollar efficency that keeps spelling their names wrong. And when the captors round us up and send us away to wherever it is they're planning to send us away to, the last words we'll hear at lift-off will be, "There's been some sort of mix-up." And we'll believe it. 4 1 e.

i 1 Salvi said residents in East Boston, Jamaica Plain, Brighton, South Boston, Chelsea, Wo-burn, Dedham and Walpole were the Edison customers struck by the outage. The energy control coalition said 58,000 customers of Massachusetts Electric in Salem, Maiden, Lowell, Lawrence, Weymouth, Quincy, Worcester, Uxbridge and Milbury also were affected. Fallon said the outage was triggered at 1:40 p.m. by an "electrical fault" in a generating station at Salem. She said this was the equivalent of a short circuit at a residence.

Then, just after 2 p.m., a major transmission line stretching from Londonderry, N.H., to Ayer, went out of service, Fallon said, adding that the causes of both failures were unknown and under investigation. "As a result of the two outages," she continued, "other power lines and transformers in the REMVEC area were overloaded. So, in accordance with emergency procedures, a dispatcher ordered 5 percent of the power feeding the system cut back." Fallon said that had there not been an unusually high power demand yesterday because of the heat, the system could have absorbed the two outages without problems. As the problem became apparent, the coalition ordered its member utilities to cut back on power consumption so the burden could be' shared equitably and so service could be retained to as many areas as possible, Fallon said. On Cape Cod, power was being "rotated" from town to town to ease the outage.

Some businesses in eastern Massachusetts closed early because of the power loss. Salvi said Boston Edison was ordered to cut 90 megawatts of power load. He said the coalition had eight generating stations in the region off the line yesterday for reasons of maintenance and "economic dispatch" a policy that picks stations' able to generate the least sive electricity at any given time. Having eight stations out of use is not unusual and should not have caused yesterday's outage, according to Salvi. Thirty of New England's 225 generating units can be down at any one timer without incident, he said.

Both Salvi and Fallon agreed that officials underestimated those demands yesterday, but said the system would still have supplied enough electricty were it not for the failure of the Salem station and the major transmission line. By Ben Bradlee Globe Staff Massive power failures hit parts of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Vermont yesterday afternoon, leaving nearly 200,000 persons without electricity in muggy, 90-degree heat. A spokesman for Rhode Island, Eastern Massachusetts and Vermont Energy Control (REM-VEC), a coalition of eight utilities in the three-state region serving more than two million people, said the outage was caused by "extremely" high use of air-conditioners and fans, together with a transmission line failure and the loss of some generating capacity. The coalition issued a midafternoon appeal to residents of the three states, asking that they cut back their use of electricity until full power could be restored. Spokesman Mary Fallon said the outage lasted from 2 to 4 p.m.

Just as service started up again, a thunderstorm rolled through the area causing more scattered power outages. "We solved one problem, turned around and there was another one right on our back," said Fallon. Boston Edison Co. said flooding from the storm damaged a power line servicing part of Wellesley, and crews working to repair the line were not expected to finish until early this morning. A spokesman for the Wellesley Municipal Light Plant said nearly half the town lost power around 6 p.m., and hundreds were still without lights during the night.

The storm also knocked tree limbs down on power lines in the Woburn-Burlington area, an Edison spokesman said, disrupting service to 6000 homes. Power was expected back there by 2 a.m. "Scattered hundreds" were reported without power until about 9 p.m. in other parts of the state due to the storm, according to Massachusetts Electric Co. The National Weather Service in Boston said yesterday was the third straight day in which temperatures reached 90 degrees or higher.

Cooler weather was forecast for today, however, with predicted highs in the low 70s. Boston Edison Co. said 37,000 of its customers were affected by the power failure. Edison spokesman Walter Salvi said the utility was swamped with calls, and quickly provided a telephone message acknowledging "a temporary loss of service in many forts to restore service are under way." "It (the outage) was surprising," said Salvi. "It really hit everbody out of the blue.

The demand was more than anyone expected." rvr ti lt jL4iulni iltif jr Massed for rally on steps of State House, abortion supporters display letters and postcards they have received thus far in their lobby-by-mail campaign. (Globe photo by George Rizer) Nurses' rally opposes Mass. abortion curbs The Massachusetts Citizens for Life has criticized a new Right to Life Crusade, with attempting to fragment the movement. Page 18. A dispute in Watertown over housing for elderly Lottery Numbers Monday's number: 5789 Monday's payoffs not available: By Maria Karagianis Globe Staff In response to recent gains by the antiabor-tion movement, about 100 pro-abortion demonstrators mostly nurses and other health care professionals gathered yesterday at noon on the State House steps to reassert their belief in the right of women to abortions.

The rally was one of several staged in major American cities as the pro-abortion movement gears up for the 1980 national elections. "Pro-choice people must become politically active. We are the majority," the election year 1980, our message must be clean We are pro-choice and we vote." Hart spoke during yesterday's rally, which was organized by MORAL (Massachusetts Organization to Repeal Abortion Laws). A registered nurse at Boston Hospital for Women, Hart said she became politically active two years ago, "when I recognized that safe, legal abortion had to be defended." "Before 1973, 1 cared for a disturbingly large number of patients with punctured uteruses, hemorrhage, pelvic infection and septic shock from botched, nonmedical, illegal abortions." "I am here now because the memory of needlessly mutilated women haunts me still," she said. The US Supreme Court ruled in 1973 that states may not interfere with abortions during the first three months of pregnancy.

In the second three months, states may interfere only to safeguard the mother's "health. But at present, states cannot be required to fund abortions. Last week, Gov. Edward J. King signed into Massachusetts law the most restrictive abortion-funding statute in the nation.

It prohibits state-funded abortions even in cases of rape or incest. The antiabortion curbs Saturday's payoffs Any Order extend beyond welfare recipients to include all state employees covered by the state Group Insurance Commission, as well as public school teachers and all state, county and municipal employees with group insurance plans. A suit filed by the Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts against last year's abortion curbs' in Massachusetts is still pending before the US Supreme Court. "We're waiting now to see if the court will hear the case." said Jean Weinberg, a spokeswoman for MORAL. In response to significant inroads by the antiabortion movement since the 1973 US Su-.

preme Court ruling, the pro-abortion movement, is attempting to organize nationally on the grass-roots level, Weinberg said. MORAL has an organization in 28 of the state's 40 senatorial districts and Weinberg said the organization has tripled its membership in the past four months to about 1000 members statewide. After yesterday's demonstration, marchers went to the post office to mail 8000 postcards to Congress, which this week will vote on several anti-abortion riders to appropriations bills. "We're here today to carry our slogan, I'm pro-choice and I to the legislators in Washington," said Karen Campbell, a registered nurse from Burlington. As health care workers, she said, "Our concern for a woman's right to choose a safe and legal abortion is not only based on her right to control her own body, but also on our concern for maintaining high standards of health care." Ixact Order $220 $5279 All 4 digits All 4 digits $123 $739 First 3 digits First or last 3 $123 $63 Last 3 digits Any 2 digits Any 1 digit Evans-Boom hopes to build a shopping center and 100 housing units for the elderly on the site near the Charles River.

Corcoran, Mullins and Jennison would build 130 units for the elderly as part of a proposed 730-unit housing development. Evans-Boorn has offered $4.4 million for the site; Corcoran, Mullins and Jennison has offered $3.5 million. Both firms would use federal funds to construct the elderly housing, if such funds are available. i The WHA would build its housing for the elderly with a grant from the Massachusetts Department of Community Affairs. If the WHA does not find a site for its elderly housing project by the June 20 deadline for the grant, the funds will be withdrawn.

The Redevelopment Authority, which favors the private development plan, has been trying to get the Department of Community Affairs to extend its deadline 90 days. Leonard Frisoli, ARSENAL, Page 18 By Elliot Krieger Special To The Globe The Watertown Housing Authority (WHA) has decided to sue the Watertown Redevelopment Authority to block private development of a 38.5-acre site unless it can build 80 units of publicly owned housing for the elderly there, according to WHA director Miles Mahoney. In an attempt to avert the lawsuit, the WHA invited the Redevelopment Authority and the two prospective developers of the Watertown Arsenal site Corcoran, Mullins and Jennison and Evans-Boom Assn. to a meeting last night. No one showed up.

"It appears that this last effort will be in vain," Mahoney said. "The time has come when legal counsel should proceed to protect the WHA rights in the matter." The decision to sue came on a unanimous vote in an emergency WHA session Thursday night. The Redevelopment Authority is expected to select one of the developers tomorrow night. Above payoffs based on $1 bet. Previous Mass.

drawings 9110 9743 Wednesday Saturday 2483 6277 Tuesday Friday 0521 Thursday N.H. number for Monday: 2843 N.H. number for Sunday: 8003.

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 300+ newspapers from the 1700's - 2000's
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra® Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the The Boston Globe
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

About The Boston Globe Archive

Pages Available:
Years Available: