The Boston Globe from Boston, Massachusetts on January 16, 1919 · 7
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Boston Globe from Boston, Massachusetts · 7

Boston, Massachusetts
Issue Date:
Thursday, January 16, 1919
Start Free Trial

o J i i) H HoodS CREAM BRIES Fancy Creamery CHEESE Full TOMATOES MS? Can 191c LOOK FOR THE COW HEAP SIGN ffofttnit, HHI Hanover ht,, 9 Hrmenwav W HI1 Compton ht., 70 Halem St., 4vi0 (olutnbiiN Ar.. 99 Hummer ht 195 Chamber Ht.f 701 Tremont St., 5iJ0 llurriwon Ate.; lorrheter, ?IH Howdoin St., 77H Dudley St., 1008 Jlltie Hill Ave.l Koihury, HA Blue llill Ave.j liHrleetown, 494 Kutherford Ave., JH4 Main St.; noulh ftuton, 403 llroailfVM.v : C ambrldfc, 029 MasHaohiiNetts Ave.. 1041 tiinHr'jA St.; llrookllne, 277 Harvard St.; Chelsea. 388 Itroaduay, 72 Everett At , 1 t HumIoii, 12 f entral Siiare; Malden, 29 Ileanant St.; Lawrence. 103 Ilroadoay; Salem, 208 Ke St.: I.ynn, 34 Munroe St. ENGINEERS BODY IN I ENGINEJJOUSE RUINS George Layhe Crushed by . Piano and Wreckage Firemen Show Heroism in Saving , Trappod Comrades Heroic work was done by members o? the Boston Hire Department yesterday afternoon, every minute at the risk of their lives, when .hey chopped and dug In the debt is of Engine 31 quarters in in effort to take out alive comrades who had been burled w!pp the interior of the building collapsed as a esult of the accident at the molasses tank on Commercial st. ENGINEER GEOROE LAYHE With the building in such condition that every time a man stepped across It It shook as if about to drop, the rescuers did nut for a moment think of themselves, but worked bravely to reaen the trappod men, whose voices could be heard cheering them on. It wag nearly four hours after the disaster that the work of these men was ttnlshed, and then it was when the body of George Layhe, third engineer on the hreboat, was taken from under heavy timbers, held down by tli piano and pool table, still warm, but with life extinct City Employe Rescued NVlth the exception of the removal of John Barry, a city employe who was fitting his lunch in t lie engine house, th resellers did not have much trouble in getting out the half-dozen men trapped under the falling floors. Barr - was pinned in such a manner, with s big section of the tank in front of him, that it was necessary for the tiremim to burn a hole In the tank with n acetylene torch before they could fch the building and start cutting the timbers. Lieut John Williams, who was in charge of the company, had just left the atatlon and reached Hanover and Commercial sts on his way to dinner when he heard a roar, and, turning, saw a cloud of dust, and, ns he thought moke, covering the tire station and the entire loin it y. He heard cries at the same time and fan back, but could not get near the entrance to the station o ing to the nood of molasses that rolled toward him, an well as the Hying debris. He immediately rushed to a Naval station and a launch was put out for him and he was taken around the end of the pier nd landed on his boat. Aa he climbed over the side of thp hreboat he met hosemen Ollllsplo and Gregorio limping down the pier, and in fPly to his questions thev said that the building had collapsed. Thev escaped py Jumping from windows as the building waited to fall, but the other mem-wra of the crew were trapped In the ruin, Lieut Wtllianis rushed to the building hnd uw that the entire Interior had totiapaed. He could also hear groans and cries from the men trapped inside. 8 climbed through a w indow, hut ow-JJJ5 the weight of the timbers and ,'nr, ohJects pinning the men he was vrtable to assist them alone. Men Taken From Ruins ,,hen fttshed out to the corner of building and tried to signal for some-JPi on street to sound the fire answered and he returned to I? funding nnd with the help of Gillis-iarm. His signals were answered and (...Jo'otred to the building and with the 1b CHHIspte and Gregorie. succeeded ctttng a couple of the men out. th. 2?n he left the station for dinner, n t,u,y were Engineers Layhe. Dr?Jrnn a. J Connors, and hosemen acoll, McDermott, Gillispie and Greg- ,Mcn the additional rescuers arrived CrJf. the alarm. Browning and wiis0!? were qmMv pulled out an 1 th. w Driscoll and McDermott sent to cat Jiospltal. Layhe could not be lo-f ,? "bt groans from undef' the rear j i,.,'a building led the rescuers to be-Whthat he was there, him i? an attempt was made to get to Heel'll teaened that the big steel LieutV? he tank was in the way, and Dan Hurley and Hoseman Andy twr!L . escue Company 1 rushed for tine,lTaine, obtained the metal-cut-tanj l0rt'h and started to work on the iit a short time for them to to .?ul R hole large enough for a man r n,y'r- an Larson went in with an for. had but little cutting to do be-'8tanLrta.chert the man. With the as-thrm ,0,her firemen who went out hole, h pulled the prisoner earn.ii1 .J was then that the firemen ftrrv-. th man rescued was John bar not Layhe. ho rushed to a hospital, while hi8trirtCiLur8-. the direction of up "HHam K. Riley, took tune ?,f locating l.ayhe. At this iti th Km? ?, discyered that the heater dehrts Jhen tipped over in the kilev ' 8et, fire to the ruins. Chief kfam.f . Ime of hose laid and a m of water turned into the fire. reh Building Thoroughly anv?5 8lnals to Layhe failed to J response and the men started UTTER Lb. S4c Cream Lb. 34c to search the entire place. One of the members ot the company remembered that Layhe had said a few minutes before the disaster that he was going to bed and should be called about 4 o'clock. This information led the rescuers toward the engineers bunkroom and after hours of work, every bit of which was done in the most careful manner, Lahyes body was found at the foot of the sliding pole pinned down by a big timber, with the piano and pool table across the Umber. When it was learned that the body was still warm, a call was sent for a doctor and one of the Army surgeons responded, plowing through the mud and molasses, but he said that no signs of life remained. The firemen, while they believed him, wanted to make sure that no means of saving Lavhes life were neglected and carried the bod out. It was placed in an ambulance and sent to a hospital. The fireboat which was tied up in its Pier, but a few feet from the building, was not inlured. but the coating of molasses that covered it will mean rnanv davs of hard work on the nart of the crew before it is all off. The building was torn from its foundation and lifted about 10 feet toward the water. The crew of the boat was so badlv depleted that it was impossible to move her. but early in the night. Chief McDonough arranged for a detail and the boat was sent over to the slip of Engine 47. in East Boston. Chief Engineer OBrien, who was having a dav off. as soon as he learned of the disaster, hurried to the boat and reported for dutv. Engineers ORrien and Foster, vho were covering Engine 44 when the explosion came, with hoseman Gillispie and Gregorie, both of whom are in-lured but still on duty, constituted tne regular crew tht Lieut Williams had foi'T duty last night. None of the members of the crew could tell much of a story about the explosion, other than to say that a rumbling sound was heard and the next thing they knew was when the building seemed to leap Into the air and start toward the water. Deputy Chief John O. Tabor last night said that the building was in such a condition that it is liable to fall at any time. LAYHE LEAVES HIS WIFE AND THREE CHILDREN Third Engineer George A. Layhe of Fireboat 31 was widely known in East Boston, where he lived with his wife and three children at 401 Saratoga st. He had an excellent record In the F'ire Department. Engineer Layhe, from what his wife learned last night, was standing in the doorway of the quarters when the explosion occurred and was buried bv the debris. He was born in Fort Plain, N Y, 37 years ago, and 19 years ago came to East Boston, lie turned his hand to marine engineering and eight years ago was appointed to the Fire Department and assigned to Engine 31. Besides his wife, Mrs Elizabeth A. Layhe and three children, Francis, aged 11; George, aged 8, and Helen, aged 3, Mr Layhe leaves two brothers and sisters. The funeral will take place Sunday. He was a member of the Boston Firemens Relief Association. OWEN GORMAN, INJURED, LIVES IN CHARLESTOWN Owen Gorman, one of the employes of the city of Boston attached to the North End city yard, who was injured in the explosion yesterday afternoon, lives with his wife and four daughters at 55 Tremont st, Charlestown. ry.y iuj.iiii a . LHJI.I. im. .1, 1 II II 1 .1 1,! w 4(. 'J1e . t'S.'M Si ) - -ivV -f .1' & -f-x v-f 'll tS y. If, V- Jt in , - ; i . , ' 1 " ' til'; y Et y-H 7 .. V s,' ,- 1 -X- OWEN GORMAN He was born in Ireland and has lived in Charlestown for the past 30 years. For the past eight years he has been in the employ of the city of Boston. Word was received by Mrs Gorman last night that her husband was taken to the Relief Hospital, where he was being treated for burns on his face and leg. WILLIAM A. DUFFY 21 YEARS CITY EMPLOYE William A. Duffy, who was killed, was employed by the city as, a stone cutter for 21 years and lived at 67 Brighton st. West End. He was born in the north End 58 years ago and about 33 years ago Mas married to Miss Ellen Collins, also of the North End. lie was a past chief ranger in Chevrus Court of Foresters, M. C. O. F and for many years waj prominent in the Shiel Literarv Association. He is sur-vived by his wife and daughter, Evelyn, aged 19 years. A son, Leo A., who died four years ago at the age of 19. was formerly on the editorial staff of a Boston newspaper The funeral, which will be private, will take place at 45 Allen st. North End, Saturday morning. Requiem high mass v ill be celebrated in St Josephs Church, Chambers st. Burial will be in New Calvary Cemetery. CURRAN AND FLYNN OF CAMBRIDGE BOTH INJURED Daniel Curran, injured, lived at 52 Kernard st, Cambridge. He was a teamster in the employ of the McDonald Wholesale Beef Company. He is at the City Hospital. He is 38 years old and has a wife and six children, the eldest 9 years and the youngest 5 weeks 0lJohn Flvnn. another of the injured, vas a cooper, at work at the Bay State station, near the wharf, where he had been employed 4 ;-eors. He is 38 years old and lives at 9 Winter st. Last Cambridge, with his wife and two children. VIEW OF NORTH END PARK, LOOKING TOWARD THE NAVY YARD FROM COMMERCIAL ST SCENES OF ANGUISH AT RELIEF STATION Anxious Visitors Glamor for Names of Relatives The horror of yesterdays accident at the North End molasses tank was emphasized at the Haymarket Square Relief Station, where for more than an hour the ambulances brought in groaning, struggling men, covered from head to foot, eyes and ears and mouth, in some cases, with black molasses, many of them also suffering from injuries. The organization of the relief station was strained to its utmost, but deserves great credit for the expedition and efficiency with "which it took care of the men. Every room on the two floors of the building was filled with the injured, and nurses and orderlies, their clothes covered with molasses streaks, hurried about, pushing equally sticky stretchers while in the rooms they cut off the clothes which were too saturated with the heavy liquid to be removed, clinging about the bodies o the victims. The .molasses Itself was removed from the mens bodies by warm water, and the men made comfortable between clean sheets Relief Station Treats 42 About 42 victims were treated at the Relief Station. So many of them came at once that no attempt was made to make records until all the sufferers had been made comfortable, and in the meantime some who were but little injured left the hospital without leaving their names, so that a complete list of those treated yesterday was not available last night. Twenty-six of them, however, remained there last night, while six more were sent to the City Hospital. One man, John M. Seiberlich. died at the Relief Station. Three other men were brought in. however, who. upon examination, were found to be dead, and their bodies were immediately sent to the North Grove-st Morgue. As soon as the news of the disaster spread through the city, the Relief Station was besieged by a crowd of anxious relatives of those who were employed at or near the plant. Some of these remained throughout the afternoon, waiting for definite news whether their husband, or father, or bov was at the Relief Station, and long into the night these relatives continued to come to the station for information. One of these groups was in search of Mary Distazio. 10 years old. whose brother. Antonio, was taken to the Relief Station during the afternoon and later taken to the City Hospital. No Mary was to be found, although it was understood that she had been taken to the Relief Station with her brother, and the parents passed an anxious night looking for her. A touch of comedy was supplied by the adventures of Albeit Gianci, 5 years old at first thought to be the youngest victim of the explosion. He was walking along Commercial st when he was suddenly drenched by a flood of molasses, which, because of his small size, overwhelmed him and carried him off liis feet. He was taken to the Relief Station supposedly seriously injured, but when the molasses was removed voung Albert was found to be none the worse for his sticky bath and was allowed to go home after he had had his supper. Heard Rumble, Then Crash His brother, Antonio, answered as well as any of those injured the question of just what happened. He was walking along the street, he said, when first there was a low rumble, not a sharp explosion, but a shaking. Then Tame the shower of molasses and the noise of smashing, and as he looked toward the water front he says he saw two or three of the houses fall in. Charles Whitney of 74 F st. South ALL THAT IS LEFT OF MRS ELIZABETH OBRIENS HOUSE WHICH STOOD 100 FEET FROM SCENE OF EXPLOSION MRS OBRIEN WAS RESCUED FROM THIS HOUSE, DESPITE ITS DEMOLITION. TuE. LwiUiS' . GLOBE THUKciDAY, JANUARY MARTIN CLOUGHERTY AWOKE IN SEA OF STICKY MOLASSES Thought I Was Overboard, Says Survivor of North End Disaster, Whose Mother Was Killed A feature of the molasses plant dis aster, so remarkable as to take upon itself a tinge of the miraculous, was the escape from death of Martin, Stephen and Theresa Clougherty and Bartholomew OMalley, all of whom lived in the house at Copps Hill terrace and Commercial st which was drawn into the latter street, smashed against the Elevated structure and demolished. Mrs Clougherty, mother of three of the survivors, was killed. She was 68 years of age and not in robust health. Martin Clougherty, who is widely known among sporting men, having been an amateur boxer and referee and latterly one of the officers of the Fen and Pencil Club, told his story to a Globe reporter last night at the Quincy House, where Dr James DuVally had ordered him to bed after having dressed a score of contusions and abrasions. Molasses, Molasses, Everywhere I was In bed on the third floor of my house, he said, when I heard a deep rumble. I was asleep and the rumble did not wake me thoroughly. The first impression I had that something unusual had happened was when I awoke in several feet of molasses. It didnt dawn on me that it was molasses I was in. I thought I was overboard A pile of wreckage was holding me down, and a little wav from me I saw my sister. I struggled out from under the wreckage and pulled my sister toward me and helped her onto a raft. I then began to look for my mother. seemed as if the house had split in two when it hit the Elevated structure and T was in one side and my people in the other. . . . I couldnt find my mother. I shouted Boston, was driving a horse and wagon on Commercial st at the time of the accident. The horse was blown completely out of the shafts and killed, what was left of the wagon is now piled, a heap of wreckage, by the roadside, but Whitney escaped with a molasses bath and a broken leg. Russell McLean of 42 Jeanette st, Waverley, was walking along the street near the refinery, when the force of the explosion threw him violently against the brick wall, causing serious bruises on one arm and one leg, ms face and one hand. He was, like everyone else in the vicinity, covered with the molasses. After treatment at tfie Relief Station, however, he was able to go home unassisted. MCMULLEN PINNED DOWN BY HEAVY STEEL GIRDERS James H. McMullen, aged 45, foreman at the Bay State Electric Company, who was seriously injured in the explosion, lives with his wife and two children at 147 Saratoga st, East Boston. He is widely known in that district, wheic until four years ago he had a laundry business. When the explosion occurred McMullen was working in the yard of the ggg company, and the force of it tossed him several feet. He was pinned to the ground by the flying debris, later to be engulfed by the sea of molasses. Ills body was weighed down by a steel girder which lay heavily across his legs, just above the knees. McMullen struggled in vain to free himself as the molasses rushed upon him. His head for her and yelled for those who had come along the street to find her. But I couldnt locate her. It seemed an hour while 1 was trying to find her But soon someone told me that she had been found and that she was dead. Joe 'Walsh, who lives nearby, came through the sea of molasses toward us and he helped me and my sister to Robert Bui netts house. I sent my sister to her cousins and Frank Crowley took me here. P. Robert Green of the Columbus Savings Bank came along just as I was out of the mess and I told him that all the money I had, and a number of Liberty Bonds, were in a tin box. Money and Bonds Saved He found the box and the bonds and money intact. He also helped wonderfully in getting other people from the wreckage. I saw some sparks and smoke as I lay in the wreckage, but whether this came from the contact of the use with the third rail on the Elevated structure or from the explosion I could not tell. All I remember was a smothering sensation, probably as I was flying through the air, then I thought I was overboard. What had lealiy happened didnt occur to me at all for a long time. O'Malley, one of the other occupants of the house, was found some time later walking along Hanover st. covered "with molasses from head to feet. He seemed to be dazed by his experience. Stephen Clougherty is at the City Hospital, little the worse for his experience. Miss Clougherty was highly nervous last night and under the care of a physician. It is feared that Martin McDonough, another resident of the house, may be dead. was just protruding Irom the fluid when he was rescued. At the Haymarket Relief Station late last night it was said that McMullen had suffered from a fracture of both legs and a severe shock. He also swallowed considerable molasses. He is expected to recover. .urn McMullen, as he is known in East Boston, has been connected with the express company for four years. Mr McMullen is a member of Lee Court, M. C. O. F. EXPLOSION COST TONY S0RDILL0 HIS DINNER Tony Sordillo of 2 Copps Hill terrace lost his dinner by the explosion. Tony had just entered his home for his dinner when he says he heard a boom as if from a gun and felt his house shake. He ran into the street and saw a number of persons running away from Commercial st, through the North End Park and up Copps Hill terrace. These persons were all covered with molasses and many of them were shouting, said Tony. 1 saw Mr ClougheiTys house under the Elevated structure, Tony continued. lt was all smashed up and I began to holler to some -ailors t come and get the people out. One man was standing up at the top of the park and a woman was trying to wash the molasses from him. He was bleeding. Pretty soon an ambulance came along and took him to the hospital. 1 couldnt find my wo brothers and I went looking for them, but I couldnt get far, the molasses filled all the street. Anyway a little later I learned they were at the movies. 16, 15)19 LIST OF DEAD AND INJURED Confirmed From the First Page. a blacksmith at the City Paving Yard. William Brogan, 58, 187 Webber st. East Boston. Michael Sinnott, 78, 70 Ber Dorchester, em-, ploye Public Works De - partment. LIST OF INJURED Thomas J. Heffeman, 48, married, 257 Main st, Charlestown. I FINDS LIBERTY BONDS Frank McDermott, 40, single,! j , , T r . John rl. mcrxenzie, OU, mar- . J ... . . riea, 4U Worcester st. 28 Hanson st. Charles J. Casey, 87 Dacia st. John H. Barry, 55, single, 28 Auburn st, Charlestown. Albert Bianci, 5, 552 Commercial st. Catherine Keenan, 60, single, 521 Commercial st. James F. Monahan, 24, single, 17 Davis st. j Bartholomew OMalley, 52, married, 6 Copps Hill terrace. Samuel J. Blain, 41, single, 4 Anderson st. Fred H. McDermott, 32, married, 51 Decatur st, Charlestown. John Mooney, 55, single, 1A Staniford st. Martin McDonough, 6 Copps Hill terrace. James Barry, 9 Pine st. Patrick Driscoll, Engine 31, 591 Walk Hill st. William H. Connor, 35, engine 31, Market st, Brighton. Ralph W. Martin, 21, 120 Train st, Dorchester. Charles Bonner, 22, U. S. S. Starling. Patrick Breen, 48, married, 64 Fayette st. j Samuel H. Vowering, 29, 68 Decatur st. John Flynn, 39, 9 Winter st, Cambridge. James H. McMullen, 45, 147 Saratoga st, East Boston. Stephen Clougherty, 6 Copps Hill terrace. Peter Curran, 52 Kernard st, Cambridge. John J. Noon, 49, 41 Lawrence st. Owen Gorman, 50, 55 Tremont st, Charlestown. John Callahan, 46, married, 1 of 2 Nawn st, Roxbury. Anthony Stain, 115 Charter st. Dennis B. Sullivan, 52 Wood-worth st, East Boston. James Brogan, 50, 187 Charles st. Isaac Yeaton, 43, single, 30 Winthrop st, Charlestown. Patrick F. Gill, 61 Walnut st, Charlestown. Mrs Charles C. Richardson, 32 Cobden st, Roxbury. C. Noonan, 1 Prospect st, Charlestown. John Seiper, no address. Mrs Mary Daguinina, 3 Wall pi, Charlestown. Edward D. Emerson, 36 River st, Waltham. Miss Elma VanWart, 75 Clark av, Chelsea. Joseph Barry, 9 Pine st. Antonio Distazio, 115 Charter st. J M i Corduroy Robes The Ideal Cold Weather Negligee We have three lots from which to choose. They are pretty as well as durable and very popular this season. as The Robe illustrated is of English corduroy, warm but not heavy; lined throughout with novelty figured ti-sue ; large shawl collar and patch pockets ; cross girdle effect in back , colors, rose, Copenhagen blue and wistaria and the price is only $7.95. Si SI Si i i S3 i A Is o corduroy lounging robe in breakfast coat, with pockets and sash, fancy lining and pointed collar; colors cherry. Copenhagen and wistaria. $9.75. Tailored corduroy negligees, with deep set-in sleeves, fancy pockets and cord ; very full skirt; in most of the desirable colors. $13.50. E. T SLATTERY CO. E3T.1S67 (Store J1YEAX- TREMONT STREET OPPOSITE BOSTON COMMON BOSTOt 53 1 S3 a gi John Mclntire, 17 Kingston st, Somerville. Peter Grant. Russell McLean, 42 Jeannette st, Waverley. Charles Whitney, 74 F st. South Boston. Paul Ellis, 109 Charles st. William T. Ryan, 199 Portland st, Cambridge. Daniel Spellman, 74 West Cottage st. West Roxbury. ! Walter S. Merihew, 35 Myrtle st, Cliftondale. Joseph Monahan. I Mrs Elizabeth OBrien, 7G, fractured jaw, 521 Commercial st. AND MONEY IN RUINS While searching the ruins caused by the explosion of the great molasses tank vesterday afternoon fireman Hugh J. Goodfeilow found a tin box contam- ing more than worth of Liberty Bonds, a bankbook and money. w5p V '5 "1 , f,v,. 5 A ' A 4 .v i A ' K y ' i FIREMAN HUGH J. GOODFFLBOW. lie turned the box and contents over to Robert Green, a business man and property owner of the North End whom he knew well. He then continued his vvoi k. Fireman Goodfeilow has been a member of the Fire Department about 13 i ears. He was a member of Engine Company 8. Engine 35. Engine 26. and when Engine Company 5', Winthrop st, Charlestown, was organized he was transferred to the new quarters, near his home. Fireman Goodfeilow lives with his wife, Margaret; two daughters. Margaret and Christine, and a son, James W. Goodfeilow, at 9 Cedar st. Charlestown. The latter served at the Mexican border and was later in the Fnued States Naval Reserve force, serving at Chatham as a boatswain's mate. He 'was discharged Dec 3L PATRICK DRISCOLL Of Eugine 31. Injured, at Relief Hoepital. i' MffQ MOW OM Thousands of the smartest, best looking and most serviceable Shirts ever offered in a SALE will greet our patrons when this store opens today. Every kind of a new Shirt is included in this Sale. Need We Urge Thinking Men Further? SCHOOL ST. 4MI frrriHir. svf 2 Stores OPEN SATURDAY EVENINGS 1 5 I Kitten, Pinned Under L Structure, Lives While Elevated employes were cleaning up the wreckage of the houses under the damaged trestle with enormous cranes, someone with an acute sense of hearing shouted that there was a kitten caught underneath the Clougherty house. Activities were suspended as far as the big crane was concerned and several of the workmen burned to give what assistance they could to the buried pussy. An indistinct and plaintive "meow could be beard at one point. The men removed the wreckage and finally lifted kitty out little the worse fer her imprisonment of several hours. COUNCILOR MCAULIFFE OF LYNN NOT A VICTIM LYNN. Jan 13 For wicral hours o-day city officials and hundreds tf Ljnn residents believed that Councilor John A McAuIifTe was one if the victims of the Boston explosion. A telephone message from Boston received at the clubhouse of I.vnn Lodii of Klks included McAuIifTe among the dead. As he was known to 1 in Boston the story was given credence. The Councilor returned late to night and he immediately started to trace the message. As he Is an employe of the Bay State Street Railway It was afsumod that he might have been near the freight terminal. and his unusuallv long auaeixe from the citv seemed to give corroboration to the fake Mor . Official Police Report of North End Disaster The police report of the explosion follows: "At 12:35 an alarm from box 1234 followed by a third alarm at 12:50 and by an alarm from box 1211 at 12:55 summoned the Fire Department to an explosion caused by a volume of molasses, estimated at 500,-000 gallons, which wrecked the vat and caused damage to the following buildings: The entire plant of the Paving Division; the entire engine house of Fireboat 31; portion of bathhouse and a large portion of the building occupied by the Bay State Electric Express Company, the three-story brick building, 6 Copps Hill terrace, owned and occupied by Martin Clougherty and mother; also the plant of the United States Industrial Alcohol Company of Cambridge and the entire block of bouses between Charter st and Copps Hill terrace on Commercial st was more or less injured. There were 35 injured taken to the Relief Hospital in ambulances of the Police Department, United States Army and Red Cross ambulances and various automobiles and other vehicles which were pressed into service. Of these, one has died and another, not in the 35 went home slightly injured. The dead man is John Seiberlich, 67 years, of 23 Fulda sL Special Announcement YASHiNGTON ST. ,IM H T I I 9 G

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 20,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free