Sunday Gazette-Mail from Charleston, West Virginia on June 20, 1976 · Page 141
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

Sunday Gazette-Mail from Charleston, West Virginia · Page 141

Charleston, West Virginia
Issue Date:
Sunday, June 20, 1976
Page 141
Start Free Trial

Page 141 article text (OCR)

Famous Fables By K. K.Edgar AMENDS: George Inness, the American landscape painter, hated to dress up, no matter what the occasion. Once, when .he was invited to a luncheon given for a group of prominent citizens, he showed up minus his tie. Later, his wife scolded him for not observing the amenities and insisted that he apologize to the hostess. Inness wrapped up one of his ties and sent it to the lady, with a note which read: "Dear Madam: My wife advises me that I'was guilty of a breach of etiquette in visiting at your home for two hours without a tie. Will you please, therefore, keep the en- closed tie for that length of time and then return it to George Inness." +· SHIFT: Robert Benchley loved the great indoors and was suspicious of fresh air. One morning, a friend called on the humorist and found him working in his study, with the windows shut. The caller complained about the lack of ventilation and went from one window to another and opened them wide. Benchley shuddered as the breezes swept through the room. After a few moments, he jumped up and closed the window. At this, the oth- er picked up his coat and headed for the door. "Where are you going? said the humorist. "I need air," gasped the man. "I've got to get outside." "What for?" demanded Benchley. "Thanks to you, all the air is now in the house." INTERRUPTION: Oscar Levant was in the middle of a recital in a college auditorium, when a phone rang in an office adjoining the stage. He tried to ignore it, but the ringing was presistent. Without pausing in his playing he looked up from the piano and called out: "If that's for me, tell them I'll call back." embees Vanity Fair Once a Year Sale! June 21 to July 10 Description Reg. Safe A. The basic, all purpose First Choice Bra 6.00 4.99 in soft and cling antron III nylon tricot. White 32-36 ABC Beige 32-36 BC B. "Sherralure" .... underwire faro 8-50 6.99 with pretty camisole straps 9.50 7.99 Beautiful cups of distinctive Leaf lace and antron III nylon tricot White 32-38 BCD Beige 32-38 BCD C. Juliet bra in lightly ... 7.50 6.49 fiberfill lined nylon tricot. Gentle under wire for uplift. White, blue, pink, black. 32-36 ABC foundations street floor The Mystery of Stigmata By Doane R. Hoag KONNERSREUTH, Bavaria, Juiie 13, 1926--In this small German town there lived a blind and crippled girl named Therese Neumann. She was a farmer's daughter, and was very pretty. She was also very cheerful. In spite of her blindness and a back injury that made it difficult for her to get around, she accepted her handicap without bitterness. She found great solace in religion. Morning and night she would be seen in the streets of Konnersreuth on her way to church, her white cane tap-tap-tapping along the cobblestones. In church she would often pray for hours, and when she came out her face would shine with exhilera- tion, and she would solemnly insist . that she had actually seen the crucifixion of Christ with her own sightless eyes. The townspeople felt sorry for her. They understood. They listened politely to her story and said they believed. One day in 1922, when Therese was twenty-three years old, and was at the beatification of St. Ther-. esa, for whom she had been named, her blindness was suddenly cured. Although she had lived in a sightless world for years, she could now see perfectly. And at the same time, her back injury disappeared. She was able to walk without a cane, and was even able to do light farm chores. People in Konnersreuth said it was a miracle. And so it seemed. But it was only the beginning of the astonishing things that were soon to happen in the life of this strange and baffling farm girl. On April 18, 1926, Therese began to limp. Dr. Otto Seidl, the family doctor, was called. He examined her left foot and found that it bore a bleeding wound. He asked her how she had hurt herself. She replied that she did not know. The doctor did what he could to close the wound, but it continued to bleed and had to be kept bandaged continually. .On Thursday, April 22, at about midnight, Therese's parents again sent for the doctor. The young woman was in an agony of suffering. She was now bleeding from a three-inch gash in her side, just below the heart. Again, there was no explanation. She could not account for the injury. And nothing could stop the bleeding. On .Good Friday, eight more wounds appeared. These were on her forehead. Others appeared on the backs of her hands. Since her parents had been with her every minute, there was no possibility that she had inflicted the .wounds herself. Suddenly,, writhing in pain and with tears rolling down her 2mCHARLESTON. W.VA. cheeks, she spoke four words that made the whole thing terribly clear: "E/i, Eli, Lama Sabachthani! My God, my God, why has Thou fo- resaken me?" This astonishing woman was actually undergoing a repetition of the Crucifixion of Christ, suffering exactly as He had suffered, bleeding from the same wounds that He had bled from during His last days on earth! N o t h i n g c o u l d b e d o n e f o r Therese Neumann. Every Thursday night and Friday the same thing would occur all over again. The wounds never became infected, nor did they completely heal over. The attacks always began on Thursday night around midnight, when she would suddenly sit bolt upright in bed and go into a trance of ecstasy. Then the wounds would open. Again and again throughout the night the same thing would repeat. Around noon Friday the ecstasy would repeat. Around noon Friday the ecstasy would end, and she would begin to writhe and scream in what observers believe was a faithful reenactment of the death agonies of Jesus. In between the weekly attacks Therese was a perfectly normal woman, doing her farm chores, tending the stock and caring for the flowers. Until she died in 1962 people came to visit her from all over the world. She received them every day, starting at 12:30, for just one hour. Then she would send them away, saying she had her work to do. "Happy?" she would smile when asked. "Of course I'm happy! Why shouldn't I be? The Lord is always with me!" Stigmatization is one of the strangest of all religious experiences, but it is not as rare as one might think. About three hundred cases have been authenticated, starting with St. Francis of Assisi. Two of the more recent cases have been those of Padre Pio of San Giovanni Rotondo, in Italy, and Mrs. Eva Mclsaac of Uptergrove. Ontario. The wife of a farmer, and granddaughter of a full-blooded Huron Indian, Mrs. Mclsaac first experienced the stigmata in 1937, when she was 35 years old. The wounds of the Crucifixion appeared suddenly on her body, and have been reappearing regularly ever since. No one fully understands the mystery of stigmatization. All we know is that it is, without question, the most intense religious ecstasy which the human soul and body are capable of experiencing, (Copyright Dorine Hoag 19 w) June 20. 1976. 'Sunday Gazette-Mail

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page