Sunday Gazette-Mail from Charleston, West Virginia on June 20, 1976 · Page 79
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
June 20, 1976

Sunday Gazette-Mail from Charleston, West Virginia · Page 79

Publication:
Location:
Charleston, West Virginia
Issue Date:
Sunday, June 20, 1976
Page:
Page 79
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 79 article text (OCR)

f»G -June 20,1976 Sunday (i _---.---- «__«, -- ..__ -- _-- -- --------Charleston, W?!-t Virginia No Lynchings in County Until 1876 --Then Three One January Night Kanawha County had not recorded a lynching in its history until January 1876. Then, in one night, there were three. Two of the lynchings resulted from the Christmas Eve murder of Thomas Lee near the iron bridge on Campbells Creek. Accused of the crime were John Dawson and Rufus Estep. The third was retaliation for the death of J.W. Dooley. a black shoemaker who worked on Alderson Street in Charleston. It was the duty of Philip Morgan, Kanawha County sheriff, to keep a 400-man mob from Estep and Dawson. He got the duo away from the Charleston jail in the nick of time and hid them in a shack on the banks of the Elk River as the mob crossed a bridge 50 feet from them. Morgan took the two to Cabell Court House, now Barboursville, and then to Parkersburg before returning them to Charleston for trial. While the judge was considering a requested change of venue, the mob broke into jail the night of Jan. 24, took the two and hanged them over the Campbells Creek bridge, the scene of the murder. When the mob opened the jail, a smaller group of blacks took Thomas Hives, a white tailor accused of Dooley's murder. Reportedly, at 5 p.m. the 24th, Hives and Dooley fought over Dooley's wife and Hives cut the black man's throat. The mob with Dooley followed the larger group and chose a honey locust tree a few hundred yards above the Campbells Creek bridge for their hanging. The newspaper the Charleston Courier did not exactly deplore the hangings. According to a Wheeling Intelligencer report, "the Courier thinks the effect of such a demonstration will be salutory and that hereafter a wholesome dread of consequences will tend to repress lawlessness and crime in that region." At the end of the Wheeling paper's report on the lynchings the writer opined, "Times are squally on the Kanawha." Population of that "squally" county was 23.000 in 1876. Charleston, with about 4,500 persons, was the largest city. St. Albans was second-largest with 1,500. Maiden's population was 500 and Coalburg's was about 450. The value of taxable Kanawha property in! 376 was $7 million. There was not much farming done in the area but resources included iron, coal, clay, salt and lime. William Hindman was president of the Kanawha County Court in 1876. Joseph Smith was judge of the Kanawha Circuit Court and Martin Hill was superintendent of schools. George W. Atkinson, who published a "Kanawha County History" in 1876, wrote that there was a "good and effective sys- tem.of common schools" but that the county was "deficient in higher institutions of learning." A prophesy of Atkinson's has not materialized in the last 100 years. He said, "The time is not too distant. . . when an influential, paying university will be established at Charleston, or some other point in the Kanawha Valley. It is most certainly needed and its establishment is only a matter of time." Constitution of 1872 Basis of Government West Virginia government in 1876 operated under a Constitution adopted at a State Constitutional Convention in Charleston four years earlier. During that session executive, legislative and judicial departments of government were outlined. The gubernatorial term was extended from two to four years. Elected offices were designated as governor, superintendent of schools, auditor, treasurer and attorney general. The secretary of state was an appointed office. The powers of the legislature were re- stricted. No longer would it be able to grant divorces, locate highways and county seats, or incorporate cities or towns of less than 2,000 population. One Supreme Court of Appeals was created and a county court system with commissioners was adopted to operate county business. Put under county authority were schools, roads, poor relief and justices of the peace. Some discussion was given to restricting voting rights to white males but fear of consequences led to the idea being discarded. Here's a Partial List of Special Bicentennial Events Planned in Area Area communities have planned various Bicentennial events. Some include: FRAZIERS BOTTOM There will be an old fashion box lunch picnic and field day July 4.' The Fraziers Bottom Bicentennial Committee will handle a community Heritage Display at the Putnam County Library Aug. 16-2J. HOMETOWN On July 3 there will be a community picnic at Hometown Community Park. ELEANOR The Eleanor Lions Club will sponsor a "Shin-Dig" Sept, 4-5 at the Eleanor Town Park ST, MARKS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH Washington and Dickinson Streets, Charleston MINISTERS Dr. J. Clair Jarvis, Rev. Frank Shomo Dr. James C. Fisher ' ' ORGANIZED IN 1815, ST. MARKS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH HAS CONSTANTLY SERVED THE PEOPLE OF THE GREATER KANAWHA VALLEY FOR ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY-ONE YEARS, .LOCATED IN THE HEART OF THE DOWNTOWN CHARLESTON AREA, ST, MARKS HAS,,, "SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE TO GROW BY!" STUDY - WORSHIP - ACTION MJL OAH welcome.' 9:45 a.m. Church School 11:00 a.m. Worship Vx.eAc.hoot cat.e It will include historical displays, carnival rides, games, and food. WINFIELD Winfield will begin July 4 activities with bell ringing at 2 p.m. A picnic dinner will begin at 4 p.m. followed by singing and a street dance. The Winfield Lions Club will sponsor a call to colors July 10. The Winfield Homecoming is set for Sept. 12. Included in festivities will be a parade. BUFFALO Buffalo has a five-day Bicentennial celebration planned for July 1-5. A 6 p.m. parade featuring contestants for Putnam County Bicentennial Queen will begin festivities on July 1. A choral pagent will be given July 2 at 7:30 p.m. A country music festival, box social and Bicentennial Queens Ball are part of July 3 activities. On July 4 there will be an All-Community Church Worship service from 11 a.m. to noon at the Buffalo High School football field. A parade will begin at 1 p.m. July 5 at 18 Mile Creek Road. A carnival on the school grounds will begin immediately after the parade. Fireworks are scheduled for 10 p.m. Proceeds from Bicentennial events will be donated to the Buffalo Academy building fund. BELLE The Belle Womans Club is requesting town residents to put a light in their window July 3. The club also is painting the old depot red, white and blue. July 17 activities will include an ice cream social at the United Methodist Church and the distributing of miniature flags by the Belle Lions Club. The Lions also will help to paint the depot. American Legion Post 95 will play historical tapes July 17 at Town Hall. CEDAR GROVE A week long Bicentennial observance is being planned for Cedar Grove starting June 26. Games and concessions will be available at the old grade school from 4 to 10 p.m. June 26-July 3. An 11 a.m. parade is planned for July 3 and on July 4 there will be a Homecoming at the Old Brick Church, named the Virginia's Chapel, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Nightly programs are set for 7:30 p.m. at the Old Brick Church. Dates and groups WEST VIRGINIA CONVENTION OF SOUTHERN BAPTISTS OFFICES 801 SIXTH AVENUE ST. ALBANS, W. VA. The first Baptist church in what is now West Virginia was organized about 1734 at Gerrardtown. When the Southern Baptist Convention was formed in 1845, most Baptist churches in the territory of West Virginia joined. After West Virginia became a state in 1863, and changed its allegiance to the North, the churches affiliated with Northern Baptists [now American). However, several remained with the Southern Baptist Convention. In 1958 John I. Snedden Became the first Southern Baptist Area Missionary for West Virginia. Most of the growth has come through new missions being organized into churches. Southern Baptists hove added 57 new congregations from 1958 to. 1975, on overage of 3.3 each year. In 1976 the West Virginia Convention of Southern Baptists numbers 66 churches and 20 church-type missions. SOUTHfW BAPTIST CHURCHES SMVIHGTHf KAMA WHAVAUfY Cross Lanes Baptist Church 102 Knollwood Drive Nilro, W. Vo. · Farlawn Baptist Church 20th $!. ond Fletcher Ave. Dunbar, W. Va. Highland Avenue Baptist Church 216Highlond AK. South Chorl«ton, W. Vo. \ Maiden Baptist Church 202 Wise Drive Charleston, W. Vo. North Charleston Baptist Church 1009 Woodword Drive Charleston, W. Vo. St. Albans Baptist Chapel 1035 Kanawha Terroco St. Albons, W. Vo. Shrewsbury Baptist Church 3010 E. Dupont Ave. Shrewsbury, W, Vu. Witcher Baptist Church 2206 E, DuPont Ave. Belle, W. Va. in charge are June 26, the Jeffries Family; June 28, Kelleys Creek Church of God; June 29, Glasgow Nazarene Church; June 30, Cedar Grove United Methodist Church; July 1, cedar Grove Baptist Church; and July 1, Cedar Grove Baptist Church Quartet. The June 27 program will be at 2 p.m. The Elizabeth Baptist Church will be in charge. On sale by the Bicentennial Committee are Bicentennial plates designed by Glasgow artist Mike Telisko. Only 500 plates were made before the mold was broken. Chance^ are being sold on a Bicentennial quilt composed of 20 blocks made by church groups and town citizens. Chances are available until July 3. The Cedar Grove Bicentennial Committee is asking area citizens to join in bell ringing July 4 at 2 p.m. CHESAPEAKE The Chesapeake Woman's Club and other civic organizations and churches will participate in a Bicentennial Fair July 3. A town parade will start July 4 at 3 p.m. at Town Hall. An open house will be held at 1 p.m. July 5 at the home of" Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Ellis of 13410 Venable Ave. The home of the late Mr. and Mrs. Link Caldwell was built in about 1917. In 1839, a brick church was consecrated on the corner of Virginia and McFarland Streets. It had been the dream of two devout women, Mrs. Alexander Quarrier and Mrs. Joseph Lovell. It was named St. John's Episcopal Church. Since that time, St. John's has been the church from which all the Episcopal churches in the Charleston area have had their beginnings. Serving the downtown neighborhood, St. John's has always opened its doors to people in need and to community groups seeking shelter. Begun through a dream, nourished with a sense of mission, St. John's continues to pray for the Spirit that gives hope for future service. ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH QUARRIER AT BROAD JL. FROM A TENT TO A TEMPLE Twenty-Seven Tremendous Years As West Virginia looks back on her progress of the past 100 years, we of the Grace Baptist Temple may do the same--recall our amazing growth, from a tent to a temple in the short period of 27 years. In the early days the Temple members were forced many times to change their meetingplace. From Nitro High School to the tent. to a store building in St. Albans. from there to the St. Albans High School, next to the A lhan Theat re. and then finally to the first unit of our new building. However, it was in a tent revival held in Nitro. W.Va.. that the Temple was born. After years of combined work on the part of a growing congregation, the fulfillment of a vision was recognized in the completed structure of the Grace Baptist Tem pie. In 1935, O. E. Caldwell answered God's call to the ministry of the gospel, preaching his first sermon in a tiny one room mission in Charleston. A few more than a dozen people heard this sermon. Today he Is heard by thousands weekly, in the auditorium of the Grace Temple and on a daily broadcast. . Thus, Grace Temple has been a modern miracle in modern times. With only 17 members and S32.00, the Grace Baptist Temple has grown from its humble beginning to a towering testimony of God's grace in the magic valley of West Virginia. GRACE BAPTIST TEMPLE St. Albans, West Virginia

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page