Sunday Gazette-Mail from Charleston, West Virginia on June 20, 1976 · Page 63
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
June 20, 1976

Sunday Gazette-Mail from Charleston, West Virginia · Page 63

Publication:
Location:
Charleston, West Virginia
Issue Date:
Sunday, June 20, 1976
Page:
Page 63
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 63 article text (OCR)

2F --June 20,1976 Sunday V Charltjt'on, Wsit Series Explores Independence Road John G. Morgan, staff historian of the Sunday Gazette-Mail and The Charleston Gazette, has contributed the first articles of a 17-article series to this Bicentennial issue. The remaining will follow in the Gazette and subsequent issues of the Sunday Gazette-Mail. The first article explains the format of the series. --Shenandoah Valley Travel Assn. Photo Looking Toward Hills of West Virginia Across the Shenandoah Valley Scene Approximates What Dr. John Lederer Saw More Than Three Centuries Aep. TRICENTENNIAL Western Virginia's History Can Be Traced From 1670 By John G. Morgan Under slightly different circumstances, a tricentennial celebration could have been held in West Virginia five or six years ago. An appropriate place might have been Kanawha Falls or somewhere in the Eastern Panhandle. If Dr. John Lederer, the German explorer, hadn't turned back when he reached the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains in 1670, he might have wandered into what is now Jefferson County or another Eastern Panhandle county. If the British expedition of Batts and Fallam hadn't stopped in 1671 at Peters Falls in Giles County,Va., just short of the present West Virginia border, it might have moved on to Kanawha Falls. In fact, some historians contend that the expedition reached Kanawha Falls. The most persuasive part of their contention is an Indian's quoted comment that the people "in the next town beyond them lived upon plain level, from whence came abundance of salt." This suggests the location of the salt licks in the present Maiden area on the Kanawha (river of white stone). But the Indian didn't offer further explanation, and there is other strong evidence that the explorers just didn't make it to Kanawha Falls. Among other early explorations that fell short of wild and wonderful western Virginia was the journey of Gov. Alexander Spotswood and his "Knights of the Golden Horseshoe" over the Blue Ridge Moun- Mduntain Road to Independence--1 tains to the Shenandoah River in 1716. There was no turning back and no doubt about the destination of Capt. Pierre Joseph Celoron and the Rev. Joseph Pierre de Bonnecamps, French explorers who stopped at the mouth of the Kanawha in 1749 and buried a lead plate to prove it. All of these early explorations are a part of the Old Virginia and West Virginia history in that they opened new trails and encouraged westward movement of settlers. Details of these journeys, taken largely from daily journals and reports of expedition members, will be given in later stories. There will be additional stories about the first permanent white settlers in the present Jefferson and Berkeley county areas, other settlers in the Lewisburg and Wheeling vicinities, the tree dwellers in the present Upshur and Pocahontas county areas, the vast land holdings of Lord Fairfax, the journey of George Washington down the Ohio and up the Kanawha rivers, Washington's little settlement on the lower Kanawha River and shootings involving Indians, a few deaths and a grand escape in the present Cedar Grove and Charleston areas. Finally, there will be stories about Virginia's role in urging action for independence and the ultimate historic occasion to adopt a Declaration of Independence. All of the scheduled stories were written in a manner that suggests on-the-spot contemporary news coverage of each event. This was done to close the time span, to bring a new sense of immediacy to each event, to suggest a slight sense of participation similar to what one feels in reading the news today. · There are technical problems involved in presenting history as news', These were overcome, hopefully, through the offering of compact capsules of history without change of context or distortion of subject matter. In spotty fashion, the series covers a Centennial before the Bicentennial began. The series starts on top of the Blue Ridge Mountains in 1670, when western Virginia was occupied only by Indians and animals, and extends to Independence Hall at Philadelphia in 1776. During the long century between the two points there were many ups and downs for western Virginians, many peaks and valleys, perilous situations and times when the winding road provided breathtaking views of the hills beyond. The big picture, embracing this panorama of the past and the hard times of men struggling for freedom in remote areas, suggests the title of "Mountain Road to Independence." Next: A German Doctor's Westward View. Items From Newspaper Recreate State History Wheeling Intelligencer 1876: As the microfilmed pages of the newspaper whirl by, certain items catch the eye. March 17 -- Second Adventists predict the end of the world or, as they called it, "the wind up of all temporal affairs." They say it will come this year on or before the presidential election. April Ib--A statue ot President Lincoln was unveiled in Washington's Lincoln Square. It depicts Lincoln with the Emancipation Proclamation in one hand and his other hand across a kneeling slave. The first contribution to the bronze memorial was made the morning after the president's assassination by Charlotte Scott of Marietta, Ohio. She gave $5 toward the $17,000 statue financed exclusively.by blacks. April 18-Parkersburg City Council rebelled against paying $35 per lamp post per year and the gas company to shut off the gas from public lamps. They complained that Marietta, Ohio, only pays $17 per lamp per year. May 26-The Presbyterian General Assembly meeting in New York has deplored "promiscuous dancing" and has asked churches to "arrest the evil." Advertisements in old newspapers often are fun. There is "Dandelion Extract" which cures "pimples on the'face . . . chronic sore eyes . . . pains of the joints. In the household hint category are instructions on how to use the silicate of potash and soda to wash clothes and make them "dazzling white." If you have a good dog who kills or runs sheep--and you don't want to kill him-you allow him to get "several good butts" from the oldest buck of the flock. The method is guaranteed a "sure cure." *********************** CELEBRATING West Virginia Day With Fine Fashions For BOYS GIRLS Sizes-Infants Thru 14-From America's Leading Manufactures! · Cinderella · Bill* Kid · Polly Flinders · Harrietts · Don Moor · Health Tex ·Tiny Tots · Jack Tar · Carter · Wtather Tamer And Others FINE SHOES FROM · Keds · Child fife Jumping Jocks Hush Puppies Open Friday 'til 8:30 P.M. Daily 9:30-5:00 3715 MaeCorkle Ave., Kanawha City Phone 925-1134 FOR 200 YEARS The Scrap Industry Has Served AMERICA from Paul Revere, America's first Scrap Dealer, to Poor Charley RALEIGH JUNK Company Riverside Port Amherst Sattes 949-1597 925-1114 727-8251 lee Poor Charley "AND GET THE LAST NICKEL" 1901 1976 B. B. CARPENTER Chairman of the Board History Of The Montgomery National Bank Seventy-five years of service to the business and economic interests of the Upper Kanawha Valley is the proud record of the Montgomery National Bank. The bank was organized on January 19, 1901, by five enterprising business leaders: J. W. Montgomery, S.H. Montgomery, Enoch Carver, tewis Prichard, and George S. Couch. S.H. Montgomery was elected the first President, and J.D. Foster, Jr., a Charleston banker, the first Cashier. The original capital of the new concern was 525,000. The Bank's Charter was approved by the Comptroller of the Currency on January 25, and the Bank's doors opened for business on February 4. The original Bank was located on the site of the present bank employees parking lot. Because of the expanding prosperity of the Upper Kanawha Valley, the Bank's capital was doubled to 550,000 in 1905 and 575,000 in 1906. In 1908 The Montgomery National Bank erected a new building on Fourth Avenue. This building still stands and is known as the Carpenter Building, located just west of the present bank building. Due to its continued growth, on July 2,1919, the capital was increased to 5100,000. In the early 1920's, the Bank was moved to a new building situated on the corner of Fourth Avenue and Ferry Street. The Bank continued to grow in size and again its capital was increased on February 14, 1950, to 5200,000. Shortly thereafter, the Bank acquired leased s-ace in its former bank building and underwent a remodeling of the Bank facilities which were opened in 1951. The Bank moved to its present location in late November of 1968. Since that time, assets of the Bank have grown from 13 million to over 30 million dollars. At the Annual Stockholders Meeting, held on January 22,1976, by a 10-for-1 stock split and 200% stock dividend, the Bank's capital was increased to 56000,000. During the past 75 years, the Bank has been under the leadership of eight Presidents, who are named below, along with their term of office: S.H.Montgomery 1901-1910 and 1913-1936 MJ.Simms 1911-1912 D.C. Smallridge 1937-1945 R.M.Holstine 1945-1955 William Buchanan 1955-1963 A.M.Vickers 1963-1967 W. W. Jennings, Jr. 1968-1972 Guy S. Dooley, Jr. 1972 to the present time GUY S. DOOLEY, JR. President THE MONTGOMERY NATIONAL BANK

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page