The Gazette from Montreal, Quebec, Canada on April 20, 1994 · 3
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

The Gazette from Montreal, Quebec, Canada · 3

Publication:
Location:
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Issue Date:
Wednesday, April 20, 1994
Page:
3
Start Free Trial
Cancel

THE GAZETTE, MONTREAL WEDNESDAY, APRIL ZO, 1994 AO w m 77 fS A p. Wanted for raps Police issue sketch of rapist Laval police have made public a composite sketch of a man who raped a woman after forcing her into a car. Investigators acknowledged the March 31 rape on du Moulin Crescent in the Duvernay district bears similarities to a rape committed Jan. 7 in the Fabreville district, but hesitate for the moment to link the cases. "There are differences in the descriptions given by the victims of the vehicle involved and of the suspect," Det.-Sgt. Daniel Meunier said. "Right now we can't say they're connected.'' In both cases, victims were grabbed off the street and forced into a car, driven a short distance, raped, then released. ' The attacker in the March 31 assault is described as a white French-speaking male, 35-40 years old, weighing about 145 pounds and standing about 5-feet-10. I He wore a three-quarter-length dark wool coat and "khaki-colored pants. The car he used is described as a four-door blue 1985 Toyota Tercel. The attacker in the Jan. 7 rape was described as a white francophone male who stood about 5-feet-9 and .weighed 165 pounds. He had longish auburn hair and wore a light-colored coat and blue jeans. The vehicle used in that assault was described as a compact car with a cracked windshield. Anyone with information on either case is asked to call police at 662-4636. Stolen motors recovered Working on a tip from an eagle-eyed Sflretd du Quebec officer, Montreal Urban Community police, recovered 39 outboard motors and a truck reported -Stolen in Valcourt, 100 kilometres east of Montreal. The truck and motors, said to be worth more than $200,000, were taken from JMF Transport early on Sunday. Officers from MUC Station 53 set up a surveillance Operation after a provincial police officer spotted the unattended vehicle toward the end of his shift that day. -They stopped the truck and arrested the driver shortly .before 7 p.m. in east-end Montreal. .1 . Jean-Roger Ouellet, 35, of Ste. Anne des Plaines was Charged in Quebec Court at Montreal yesterday with possession of the motors and truck. Outdoors group launches lottery The FSdeVation Qudbecoise de la Faune yesterday launched a new lottery to raise money to protect im-4Xrtant habitats and educate the public. . , Leo-Paul Quintal, president of the group's fund-raising foundation, said he hopes the lottery will raise $ 1 .2 million for the federation, which represents 250,000 iiunters, anglers and outdoors enthusiasts. Prizes include a pickup truck, a trip for two to Portugal, hunting and fishing excursions, and free passes for attractions such as Montreal's Biodome and Botanical Gardens. LotoFaune tickets cost $2 and are to go .on sale today in dpanneurs across the province. Fugitive to be extradited . A U.S. fugitive arrested in Montreal Friday for the fatal stabbing of his wife will probably be extradited to the U.S. on Friday, police said. David Vieira, 42, has asked to consult a lawyer before signing a waiver allowing the extradition, said i)et.-Lt. Jean Ostiguy, of the Montreal Urban Community police homicide squad. Vieira, who used the alias Antonio Pacheco, was tabbed after the TV show Unsolved Mysteries broadcast a story about him last week. " Vieira is accused of killing Alice Arruda in New Bed-jfprd, Mass., on July 15, 1988, two weeks after they separated. 'pissing teenagers sought Police youth squad officers are asking for public assistance to locate four Montreal-area teenagers who ran away from their homes in the last two months. Authorities made public pho tographs of the missing youngsters yesterday in the hope of generating leads as to their whereabouts. M&issa C6t, 15, was reported missing April 6. She speaks French, stands 5-feet-2, weighs about 107 pounds and has blue eyes and brown hair. Anyone with information on her is asked to call Montreal Urban Community police at 280-2201 or 280-2601. MUC police in Notre Dame de Grace have been looking for 1 6-year-old Nadine Ranger since Feb. 28. The English-speaking girl is 5-fcet-4, 130 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. Call MUC police at 280-2215 or 280-2615. Ralph Jacques, 16, was reported missing March 28 J from his home in the Rivieres des ; Prairies district of Montreal, r He speaks French, stands 5-feet-; 8, weighs 1 30 pounds, and has black j hair and brown eyes. In the Jacques case call police at ; 280-2255 or 280-2655. : The fourth missing youngster is 1 1 5-year-old Alexander Rajeczky, an j English-speaking boy reported miss- ing March 27 from his Dorval home. ' He stands 5-feet-10, weighs 133 ; pounds and has blond hair and blue -eyes. I Call police at 280-2213 or ;280-2613. wmmmmmrmmmmim J.!ellssaC6tS Kadlne Ranger Ralph Jacques Alex Rajeczky ; Ethics and Ecology: Human-Earth Relationships in i North America is the subject of a public lecture by I Thomas Berry, director of the Riverdalc Centre of Re-; ligious Research in New York City. It's at 6 p.m. in the Moot Court Room of the McGill University law faculty, 3644 Peel St. Winning numbers Tutiday, 940419 la Quotldlennt-4 0-4-8-4 (in order) La Quotldltnnt-3 3-7-3 (in order) Banco 4-5-10-11-1526-27 29-31-40-41-42-44 48 50 52-53 54 55 67 niii pro met appears extinct ELIZABETH THOMPSON and GEOFF BAKER THE GAZETTE Dinasaurium promoter Barry Sendel has lost provincial funding for his controversial theme park, which now appears as dead as the creatures it keeps touting. Carole Marcil, a spokesman for Que bec's Socidte' de Ddvdloppement Indus- tnel, said yesterday that Sendel had until midnight to provide a complete outline of financing for the project. The promoter still hasn t presented his financial plan," Marcil said at 5:45 p.m. "The offer expires tonight." But when Marcil was interviewed, SDI offices had already closed for the day, leaving no time for Sendel to make a last-minute bid to secure the money. Industry Minister Gdrald Tremblay said in Quebec City that the government was not willing to extend the deadline. Of the estimated $12.2 million cost for the Dinasaurium, 20 per cent, or about $2.4 million, was to have come from the provincial and federal governments. An SDI source said that even had Sendel been able to come up with the financing in time, his funding would have been revoked. At a top-level board meeting yesterday, the source said, officials decided to axe the loan to Sendel because of information published in The Gazette. The Dinasaurium - scheduled until recently to open in June - faces more than $600,000 in lawsuits and owes at least $ 1 .7 million to two dozen creditors. Sendel, the project's promoter, has convictions for fraud-related offences in Montreal, Toronto and Chicago. Since 1975, more than 165 lawsuits have been filed in Montreal against him, his companies and his second wife. In an interview two weeks ago, Marcil said the SDI didn't do independent checks on loan applicants. Yesterday however, Tremblay revealed that Quebec did check on Sendel before the SDI offered to loan him money. Routine credit checks were performed by Equifax and Dun and Bradstreet in April and May last year, he said. "Those reports did not bring out any really significant negative elements," Tremblay said, and did not uncover Sendel's criminal record. However, they raised enough questions in the minds of SDI administrators for them to put a greater number of conditions on the loan than usual, Tremblay said. He said the SDI was aware when it offered to lend Sendel money that it had been a victim of one of his bankruptcies. In 1990, the SDI had to honor a loan guarantee for $273,000 when the Ventco Medical Co., owned by Sendel, went bankrupt. -: However, Tremblay said the agency was still willing to lend Sendel money because it thought the Dinasaurium was interesting, with important fallout for Montreal's tourism industry. Telephone calls to the Dinasaurium yesterday were answered by a machine. Parents in kidnappinq hoax held in Sherbrooke jail w w Prosecutors to announce today whether they will be charged with criminal offence r MIKE KINS THE GAZETTE SHERBROOKE - The Quebec couple whose bogus tale about their infant daughter - who died in St. Ro-main at the beginning of the month - being kidnapped in New York City last week were returned here yester day by provincial police. Joseph Bales, 33, and his wife Helene Lemay, 31, were fingerprinted at the Surete" du Quebec detachment upon their late-afternoon arrival from the U.S. They were then taken to the new Talbot provincial prison where they spent the night. Prosecutors are to announce today whether the couple will be charged with any criminal offences. Surete" spokesman Tom McConnell said the pair could be arraigned either here or in Granby if criminal charges are laid. Concocted story In New York While in New York City last weekend, Bales and Lemay concocted a story about their 10-week-old girl, Muguet, being snatched in Central Park on Friday. But they didn't report the child missing until the next day, sparking a massive manhunt by 100 officers in the sprawling mid-town park. While the search was under way, Bales and Lemay admitted to investigating police that their child had actually died 10 days earlier at their St. Romain home, located about 50 kilometres north of the New Hampshire border. They said they were afraid to own up because they had already been accused of abusing another child. Muguet's abandoned body was found Sunday wrapped in plastic bags in a knapsack in a wooded area beside the Eastern Townships Autoroute, near Eastman. Police were led to the site with the help of a crude map drawn by Bales. Their other daughter, 4-year-old Priscille, has been staying with foster parents in Sherbrooke since Quebec child-protection authorities brought her back from New York on Monday. Ko signs of violent death McConnell said the pair will be released if there are no criminal charges but they won't necessarily regain immediate access to Priscille. He added that, if forensic tests show foul play in Muguet's death, "the case will be reactivated and they will be arrested." A preliminary autopsy showed no signs of a violent death and the results of additional tests likely won't be known for months. -J f r if: 7 17 If V f 7 a i 7vi ' ' ' ' . t ' 'i' ' r ; X- 1 ,,," A ' 'J I -1 ' if-. r GAZETTE, JOHN MAHONEY Parents Joseph Balis and Mint Lemay in handcuffs on arrival at Sherbrooke provincial police detachment. ; The couple contend that Muguet was the victim of with the couple last night, crib death. "They and their family are shaken up by everything Handcuffed, the two were led into the police station that has happened," Lampron said of the couple's one after the other yesterday. whirlwind weekend in New York City. Bales, the first escorted from the car, walked briskly "That's all I'm prepared to say about the case at the with his head bowed down.Once he was inside, Lemay moment." followed with her head held high. Bales and Lemay haven't made any public state- The family's lawyer, Danny Lampron, met briefly ments since they were arrested. Cube artist surprised by reaction Let skeptics wait till they've 'experienced' monument, he says AARON DERFEL THE GAZETTE Montreal artist Gilbert Boyer said yesterday he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about over his cubic monument commemorating the city's 350th anniversary. "I'm very, very surprised by the reaction in the media," said Boyer, who phoned The Gazette to defend his $70,000 work of art, titled Ma-moire Ardente. "The judgments so far in the newspapers, radio and TV are a little bit premature. The evaluations are based on illustrations of a model that contain vague explanations of the work." Boyer was busy yesterday putting the finishing touches to the monument, which will be unveiled in mid-May at the foot of Place Jacques Carticr. The pink granite cube, measuring 1.73 metres on each side, has already raised the eyebrows of workers in Old Montreal and the opposition Civic Party. Some people have questioned how a block of granite could possibly represent the city's storied history - especially in the ornate setting of Old Montreal. But Boyer said such skeptics haven't yet "experienced" the monument. "My work is not based solely on a visual experience, but on the intimate experience that each spectator will have with it," Boyer said. The municipal corporation that organized Montreal's 350th anniversary celebrations in 1992 commissioned the monument. A jury of six chose the work last May after inviting 30 artists and architects to submit proposals. Mmoire Ardente is composed in two parts: the cube, which has tiny holes drilled all over it, and an accompanying steel pole. Key dates in Montreal's history and the names of companies that sponsored the work are inscribed on the pole. Carved into the interior sides of the steel-mounted cube are the names of city neighborhoods and streets. The cube's steel top also has holes, allowing sunlight to pour in. By peering through the holes, you can see the place names as well as poetic phrases written by Boyer. Asked why he chose an abstract concept for the monument over a more traditional design, Boyer replied: "I don't think a physical figure could represent the commemoration of the city. "A commemoration is really a remembrance, and remembrance is something that's abstract." Boyer's monument does have its admirers, including Le Devoir art critic Marie-Michele Cron, who said Memoire Ardente is a brilliant sculpture that evokes a love for the city and its citizens. She said the monument symbolizes the first cornerstone that was laid in the city. Boyer agreed with Cron's interpretation, but conceded the final judgment is up to the public. U j7 f y t , ' ... - i A, r ., GAZETTE. ROBERT GALBRAITH Caring Day It being Volunteer Week, several executives pitched in yesterday at Multi-Cat, a community cafeteria serving the needy. Washing up are (from right) Gilles Ouimet, executive vice-president of Pratt & Whitney, Imasco vice-president Peter McBride and Davie Powell, president of the Montreal Board of Trade. j Give city a cut of sales taxes, group urges Quebep Montrealers unfairly taxed under present system, says report submitted to Ryan MICHELLE LALOSSE THE GAZETTE A chunk of Quebec's sales-tax revenue should go to Montreal coffers to reduce the tax burden on city businesses, a committee of local business leaders and city officials said yesterday. "We think this would be a fair way to alleviate the burden of Montreal taxpayers, who foot the bill for services that are enjoyed all over Quebec," said committee chairman Lea Cousincau, who is also chairman of the city's executive committee. The 23-mcmbcr committee, formed in 1993 to study the taxation issue, handed in its report to Municipal Affairs Minister Claude Ryan on Monday. The report outlines Montreal's complaint that the system by which municipalities gather revenues - mainly through property taxes - puts an unfair burden on non-residential taxpayers in large cities. The result of this is that businesses are moving out of Montreal and other large cities in the province, the report notes. The report highlights three areas in which it says Montrealers are unfairly taxed: Montreal is home to provincial institutions such as hospitals and universities, which benefit all of Quebec. In lieu of taxes on these buildings, the Quebec government pays an amount equal to about 80 per cent of the property-tax evaluation on these buildings. The re port recommends the province pay full taxes, which would add about $15 million to city revenues. Montrealers pay twice for school transportation; first in property taxes because school bus transport is provided by the Montreal Urban Community Transit Commission (for about $13.9 million), then in provincial taxes because school bus service in other cities is provided by school boards. Montrealers, like other Qucbccers, pay for the services of the Surete" du Quebec. But Montrealers also pay their share ($37.7 million) of the Montreal Urban Community police budget. Qucbccers in smaller communities where a municipal police force does not exist do not pay this double bill for public security. "So when Montreal has a hockey game at the Forum, and people froij across the province come to watch the game, only Montrealers have to pay for the extra police security required," sattl Daniel Pinard, president of the Canadian Property Tax Association and ;a member of Cousineau's committee. I The report docs not say exactly hoW big a chunk of provincial sales tax Montreal should get, but it says the "inequities" amount to about $83 million) Committee representatives met with Ryan Monday, and asked that the changes to municipal financing be made by 1995. : "I le was not closing any doors, but he didn't write us a cheque," Cousincau said. K

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 21,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra® Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the The Gazette
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free