The Mason City Globe-Gazette from Mason City, Iowa on January 12, 1943 · Page 17
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
January 12, 1943

The Mason City Globe-Gazette from Mason City, Iowa · Page 17

Publication:
Location:
Mason City, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, January 12, 1943
Page:
Page 17
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 17 article text (OCR)

/ Protein Feed High Priced But It Pays Mixed; feed protein supplements are about the only form in which -many Iowa farmers now ! are able to buy soybean meal nut even at present prices the protein feeds are a profitable investment for the farmer who leeds wisely, Rex Bcresford, Iowa State college Jivcstock specialist says however that the proteins may have to be allocated to animals °" |', solt °£ Priority basis if the problem becomes more acute fhon ?i gS , s '}° vild ge' first call] then the dairy cows that aren't getting plenty of legume toy and after that the heavier hogs! But some protein supplement is ** «" «- .-DE? meal ,s included, but they don't have big .stocks. No hoarding or Piling up seems to exist, but the prices are high. * * * There i s no ceiling oil such feeds as yet. Dealers are free to charge all the traffic will bear except for straight soybean meal on which resellers' maximum margams are fixed by OPA rulings. Beresford recommends a hand- to-mouth policy of buying for those farmers .who need feed right, now, but believes the mixed supplements should be purchased even at the high Pi-ices, if tankage and bean meal ore unobtainable. Soybean" processing mills in Iowa, running at capacity output all year, can handle only about a third of the 30-million bushel 1942 Iowa soybean crop. The processing facilities in the state cannot produce enough soybean meal to meet the requirements both of the feed -trade and oE farmers directly under present strong demand because of our large livestock numbers and favorable feed ratios * * ' * . _ Current meal output is practically all being absorbed by feed misery Each year they take about 80 per cent of the soybean MASON CITY GLOBE-GAZETTE 2 GRAB BAGS Santa Had One for Children and One for Adults I^IHHMi^HHIHEK^HBf^Eim^ttnBgnEinxasftui'i ,·-^^_______ , .... _ _ . . . meal production for which they I contract early. The remaining 20 per cent this year isn't! enough to satisfy the oilier demands. Flaxseed plants in the north cottonseed plants in the south' and coconut oilmcal plants in the west are being pressed into service for handling soybeans, but offer no ready solution because of transportation difficulties. Farmers with damaged beans may find it profitable to feed them in limited amounts, at least to dairy cows and brood sows without feeling unpatriotic for not turning the entire supply in ' for oil processing. --I.oek photo, Kaycnay fnffravinp Santa even had two grab bags at the Christmas party of the Pleasant Ridge club, one for children and one for adults. Mrs. Earl Dean is reaching into one as her son, Allan, reaches 'into the other. The little chap m the foreground is Roger Diercks, son of Mr. and Mrs Dave Diercks, and at the left with only half her face showing is his sister, Betty. With her head turned away watching Santa is Mrs. Charles Wagner. Beyond fajinta is Mrs. Robert Pedelty and on the arm of Mrs Fedelty's chair is Mrs. Don Poppen. (Don't tell anybody, hut the guy in the trick suit is Cyrus Renshaw) The hog price floor and price ceiling need to be regulated to operate on a seasonal, fluctuat- lowa farmers are asked to raise 15 per cent more spring pigs in 13J3 than in 1942. ing basis, agricultural econoin-j mallv ists at Iowa State college be-! cycle. liev.e. If this is not done, farm- , ers may not produce at the times ' desired. The price of hogs nor- j iocs through a seasonal OFFICIAL OPA INSPECTION STATION · One Stop Here Completes the Job. GUARANTEED VULCANIZING SERVICE PRITCHARD SUPER-SERVICE 1st S. E. and Pcnn. Ph. 3153 THIS YEAR . . . GET ACQUAINTED WITH DECKER'S LIVESTOCK BUYERS RAYMOND VER HELST Raymond Ver Heist came to Jacob K. Decker and Sons in 1933 as » sheep and calf bayer at the Plant. Mr. Ver Heist has been a. resident of Cerro Gordo county for the past 30 years. He is a native of Lyons connty and was a farmer before joining the Decker organization. He is better known at the Decker cattle yards as "Kay." . . . . and know what you will get for your cattle before they leave the feed lot ... the most net profit * DECKER'S Y O U R L O C A L M A R K E T "

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page