Oskaloosa Daily Herald from Oskaloosa, Iowa on January 30, 1957 · Page 97
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
January 30, 1957

Oskaloosa Daily Herald from Oskaloosa, Iowa · Page 97

Publication:
Location:
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Issue Date:
Wednesday, January 30, 1957
Page:
Page 97
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 97 article text (OCR)

OF THI First Christian church filled their senctuery to capacity for the dedication ceremonies Jan. 3 after completion of · $94.000 remodeling program durinq the past year. The remodeling greeny increased the seating capacity of the auditorium. (Herald Photo) First Christian Church spends '94j Dedication of the new sanctuary and other improvement* were held Sunday, Jan. 3, 1960, following- completion of a $94,000 remodeling and improvement program at the First Christian church on the northwest corner Of A avenue east and north First street Clyde Loupee was chairman of the building committee, Gildra G. Ewmg chairman of the church board, and Paul Lewis chairman of the building finance committee. Rev. Richard Coins haa been pastor of the church since July erected and dedicated Feb. 24, 1929. SIZE OF THE sanctuary was increased by extension through the original Sunday school building to the west wall. The chancel has been moved to the west and all new furniture installed. The scarlet dossal cur- new carpeting and tile floor covering and new illumination. Also provided are two baptismal dressing rooms, a communion preparation room, mothers' room, nursery, and two offices. The whole structure is served with forcec air ventilation. OCTSIDE, the exterior appear - tain furnishes a background for j ance has been changed consider- the new communion table. The 1 ably. The old south gable with its baptistry is concealed by the cur-1 high stained glass window was tain which is drawn aside for X957. baptismal services. Furnishings include the new lectern at the left 'and new pulpit removed and replaced with smaller amber window, the two entrances were rebuilt to provide access to the sanctuary and the Oskaloosa was organized March 35, 1846, with 12 charter members and Rev. H. H. Hendryx as the first minister. The first building was erected at 418 High avenue west at a cost of $3,500. The present building was erected in 1893 at a cost of $18,000. When the congregation had outgrown the facilities of the building, the education building was choirs and console of the pipe organ. A carpeted central aisle leads from the rear of the sanctuary to the communion table and bap- tistry with the dossal curtain. Cushioned pews have been provided for the sanctuary. The whole interior has been rearranged and redecorated with at the right of the chancel, new j basement, and west wail was rebuilt. The remodeling program in creased the permanent seating capacity of the sanctuary from about 350 to 500 -- and by using overflow facilities, another hundred can be accommodated. First Christian church has a membership of about 1,000 and an average Sunday school attendance of about 325. IPALCO spends '322,000 on local projects of natural gas foe to University Park, .Greenview add**"". Maywood addition, Carbonado road, College Heights addition and in several other sections of Oskaloosa, costing $200,813, waa the biggest project of the Iowa Power * Light Co., Oskaloo- aa district in 1950, according to Pearl Wilbur, district manager. Other extensions included south C street between Sixth and Eighth avenues west, Eighth avenue west, and north Seventh street between C and. J avenues west. Two of the largest customers connected with gas this year were Productive Acres Manufacturing Go. and the new senior high school OB north Third street extension. These improvements meant an extension of 58,328 feet of gas main and gas service, including replacement of 78 individual gas services for present customers and 3,648 feet of gas mam replacement which was beyond repair. Two hundred and ninety-four new customers were given gas service as the result of the expan- atons. ! SEVERAL projects were started in 1959 which will be completed in 1980. Many lines are being converted to high pressure due to increased loads. Ipalco is continuing to replace and relocate inadequate gaa mains throughout Os- kalpoea. Biggest project for the immediate future wfll be the start of construction on the replacement of the downtown steam heating system in the downtown and residential areas with natural gas service. Ipalco is cooperating with steam heat users m making the conversion. The company spent about 116,000 in 1959 maintaining the steam heat system. Extension of natural gas service to the town of Beacon is planned for 1960. ELECTRICAL installations during 1959 represented an expenditure of $121,379. Three and a half miles of 13 2KV three phase feeder line were built along highway 92 east to make way for a road widening and pav- «»g project. Five and one half miles of two phase and single phase line were moved east and north of Montezuma on a county road widening project. Two and a half miles of 13JKY, three phase line west of New Sharon was moved on another road wid-' eiung project. \ Ipalco built a new three phase, i 13.2 KV line into the industrial) park area on south Seventh street j for PAMCO. Work has started on, conversion of a 23 KV line toj 13.2 KV in northeast part of Os- j kaloosa and University Park and seven tenths miles of a new farm line were built and connected with seven new customers. Two new 69,000 volt on break- kers were installed at the Oskaloosa sub-station. BOB DTTFFUS was advanced to district superintendent following the retirement of Evan Rowe, Charles Ahrweiler was made gas supervisor to succeed Bernard Donnelly. ~ WALL 4V REXROTH Construction company for lumber storage in addition to the 24 by 54 built a large addition onto their workshop at foot working area. The addition tripled the site 1316 Ninth avenue east last year. The workshop of the building. (Herald Photo) now has an office and drafting area and space NELSONS' P. L CO. (Under Nichols Cafe) Job Printing DEumee WHEN YOU WANT IT. Rllbb6r StOmpS MANUFACTURED IN OUR PLANT Plastic Laminatinq IN OUR PLANT All Done In Oskalooso, lowo Phone OR 3-5115 P.O. Box 412H Our Second Year of at Angus Coal Hauling Five Miles Northwest of Oskoloosa Olivet Rood New Equipment Increases Coal Mine Production a new d«cad« of PROGRESS To Eypnad Our Cod Mining Operations, a second three-yard dragline (left) was put into operation last summer in our west pit. The 100-ton machine has a 95-foot boom and has enabled us to increase our production to meet demands for our top quality coal. Coal is sized and prepared for wholesale and retail sales at the old Carbon Hill tipple five miles northwest of Oskaloosa on the Olivet road (right). Additional coal land is leased near What Cheer. Top Quality Iowa COAL Prompt Delivery Call or 2-2850 Call OR 2-2850 For Hauling SAND GRAVEL FILL DIRT Heavy Equipment Hauling and Rental Our Newest Lowboy can haul the r-eaviest ea./P-e~ * L 3* 1% s Highway Commission allows on Iowa highways. WV" z gross capacity of 45 tons, v, e ca- haul Ca'ers'i'e- D 9 -, ^-yard heavy-duty draglines and other constructor os.'cment weighing up to 32 tc-s Our rer*a! eq, =-="* Deludes: lowboys dump trucks, tractor dozers and Haulm Angus SPAPFRI

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page