Oskaloosa Daily Herald from Oskaloosa, Iowa on January 30, 1957 · Page 17
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
January 30, 1957

Oskaloosa Daily Herald from Oskaloosa, Iowa · Page 17

Publication:
Location:
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Issue Date:
Wednesday, January 30, 1957
Page:
Page 17
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 17 article text (OCR)

OSKAIOOSA PAILT HflALD Wtd, Jm. Ml IW · * Building '250,000 Pern Gp Major Project By Quakers And Home Town It took tte MmMiMd «Cfortp «f _ M M W M M M _ * M M M « W M M P ^ " » * r ' - ~ --^^^^^^-7^^--*__w«MMMH " " ~ " -- -- ' -- ' It took the eanMiiaJ cfforti eollege. church, and civie leader* to get the job d«M tat today the as A monumcat to the faith by all croup* ia the Institution. Originally the toft of the structure was estimated at alvut 1300,- ·00 but increased hniutmy coot* e* the basis of adjusted bids, and items not included in the original gym contracts, such as bleachers,! sidewalks, lockers, electric aeon-' boards, bankboards, etc., have brought the actual cost to over «250,000. Groups which banded together during 1955 to raise the original 9200,000 once again responded to the need for additional funds and their efforts made possible completion of the structure. new gymnasium fsturo aome of the best and most modern facilities available and provides not only an adequate physical the main factors the recognition of by the XCA. the completion of ire g^- n: 'looking forward to a ter ve: physical expansion p-cgr;^ " ·. to maintenance of the .high reputat.on as on-* ,,; *-. midwest's finest s:rall co l-z- - de- in?- on the new construction proj~ mix for almost any type of job. j Tom EHbel, the ect at Iowa Valve; and pouring Office accommodations will also the Forest CemeUty the footiags in the school improve- be remodelled; and free ccnsulta-, has stated that piaaw are i- mem program. tion service on platting and plan- made to construct A N'EW service added in '56 nm stepped up. , estate in the "Garde* el! *' '\a- the offer for rental of forms ALL THIS expansion, Cruzen tion" this year. - :or basements and walls -- m says, will undoubtedly lead to the New plantings of Juniper Wit- home*, bams or other tjpe farm employing of more help, and also zers and Flowering Crabs Pom gym bleachers financed throvgh Penn season ticket sales. (Herald Photo) tion plant for William Penn Ueil Ready-Mix Records Test Year" in 1956; Ptons 1957 Expansion Profit-wise. "!?» year Ideal Rea^y ainee its orgas.z according to Ly manager. Two of the c.jg, pleted last year us. " · ing of the foouru for the Penn col. the installation c: p C: _z;n. ,crr- c5 ", . Spencer memorial chapel' Pierson aad Inis L Smith were in 1917 an excavation was made for 921. j charge of the alumni section of a gymnasium. Architect's plans * drive. -were prepared and some materi- the concrete for :~ r ; The campaign took the form of als were even delivered. But culverts on the ne.'. : Cox, superintendent selling tickets to the William money then, as *t has throughout meat program ac:. : « -TM *»... Yearly Meeting of Penn college basketball games for the years, proved to be the main to GrinneJl. Construction of the gym ·*»·» in- Friends- Dr Phil King represent- the remainder of the season. More drawback to toe plans. I Ideal Ready Mix s_- strumental in p'ans for a new high ^ 3^,^ Lundy of New York; than 100 workers took part in the T^ gymnasium addition to Wil- the concrete for t.-.r r. .. -, : ·thool m Oskaloosa. The amount,^ K. Walung, Oskaloosa Heraldcampaign. bam Pena's college physical plant on the Garden Eng r. c -j -_ .- c of the high school bond issue ap-. p..hii^» r n d -h»8rm«n «f th» M«- j nn; yf^f gymnasium brings is expected to advance Penn's completed the Si:-:- - , , proved by local voters to Stay of lhMka county gym campaign; ! to an *nd 40 years of dreaming standing in aophcauon for accred- north of Keomah ! ? k c _ _ ISM was at least 1300.000 less.charte, R^ president of the and planning. wj~» »-. «~-ent iting with the North Central As-.to home construct-on than would have been necessary; Penn ^anaii association: Mayor buildings were erected in' 1916- sociation as the lack of * gym! Currently the cc.n.p^r.;, if a gymnasium had been included Charles Brown; City Superinten- j in the high school plans. jo^t Joe Qettva: Penn College S. Ball; and buildings. T-AO nevi plants were also added by idea! Ready Mix in 1956--at BJoornfield and Albia. Tne company s four other plant* are at Otlcaii\va. Sigouniey, Hedrick and Oskaloosa. The cx-.-npar.y's four three-yard mixers haie pll been rauio-coa- ·;e'led wr.hin the last two ^°ars; -j:d there are six employees local- i\ during the peak nine months of trie year. IX 1957, according to Cruzen, the output capacity, which rs now 2OO.OOO cubic \ards of mixed concrete per year, will be increased. Tne operation a.1 514 Fourth ave- the acquiring of more trucks. In addition to being local plant manager, Cruzen is also chaiiman of the Iowa Good Roads associa- added in the "Garden of tion" in 1956. in the fenn of a cross. In the center of the rrosa will be an eight-foot statue of tion for Mahaska count v; and Chnst. serves en the committee of edu- Additional roads wer« installed cation for the Iowa Ready-Mix association. "Garden Of Meditation' Completed At Forest Cemetery In 1956 Seven "gardens" noiv form the new part of Forest Cemetery, nue west. wh:ch now has two bins, with the "Garden of Meditation" one each for fine aggregate and being completed m 1956 coarse aggregate, will be doubled, In this garden is a 32 bv 50 and the en!_re plant rebuilt. foot secuon \\-th a \vall of Ten- Another hopper and si!o will be tvessee stone around four fan.:y udijtd so that an additional car estate lots In the center is a or car and one-half capacity for bronze b:b!e opened to the 23rd iiornge is available during times Palm on a stone aitar. This al- of shortage. tar can be reached from either president, and treasurer. On the \Vhen this remodelling: program side by a flagstone walk. In the board of directors are Dr. George is completed Iowa Ready Mix will wails are indentations for family Clark, Williani Heed and Harley be able to offer the right type of memorial plaques. Riggs. in 1956, and some of the others re-rocked. The association also bought a used snow plow. During the peak planting and mowing season eight to 10 men are employed on the grounds, aad four wo;k at the office. Forest Cemetery was opened 9T years ago; with the perpetual care plan added in the latter part of the 1920's. Encompassing about 63 acres, 26 new anas have been developed in the newer section. On the lake are swans, Canadian "eese, mallard and pekin domestic ducks which have been procured by the association. Harry Carton is president of the cemetery association; Tom Elbd, secretary, and Carl Johnson, nce- jdent Joe THE BEAUTIFUL, brick (true-' President ture has four separate locker rooms and four shower rooms in the north end with the locker and ·bower areas on the west being assigned to men. They will use Gettys; Charles representatives of the school faculty and student body. THE START OF the gymnasium movement came at the 1954 commencement exercises and the drive tte north entrance to gain access jreaUy ^t mder ^y wnen four to the lockers. Women athletes| men g^ g^ of $li00 o each.! and physical education classes use the east lockers and showers and the northeast entrance. Extensive lighting arrangements have been employed at the build- Ing with the playing floor being lighted by 28 Holophane fixtures containing a 500 and 300 watt bulb in its two reflectors. Fourteen 500 watt bulbs have been pUced over the seating areas. The 10 main entrance doors are also fully lighted and no light poles have been placed in the vi- They were Roy Williams and Dr. S. A. Watson of Oskaloosa, George Lewis of Marshalltown, and B. B. Watson of North Platte, Neb. In January, 1955, the college decided to retain the services of Marts tt Lundy, Inc., of New York as their development program counsellors. Harold R. Howe, m. campaign director, spent the month of February making a survey of the college and its potential. On February 28 Mr. Howe chal- cuiity of the gymnasium. Ten! lenged the Penn board of trustees . Weattnghouae fixtures fastened in! t° raise a minimum of $75,000 j the masonry are used to light the \ among its constituency including j area around the building with the' " ~ electric power being brought in from the north connection at the the Friends churches of the Iowa j Yearly Meeting. It was felt that it would be possible to appeal to plant. THE MAIN auditorium seats SAM adults with the new stands being divided into 14 sections. The bleacher sections are lettered and portions are reserved for Penn students, season ticket holders, and Visiting school fans. The seats, which have teen obtained at a cost of approximately $28,500 including installation, are Lauan species Philippine mahogany in natural finish -- a wood known for its beauty and hard- The seating sections are each 16 feet long and 13 rows high and can be rolled back and folded into a two feet eight inch row next to the wall when not in use. When seats are folded back the gym floor measures 112 feet by 104 feet. Decorations in the new gymnasium have been limited to a large American flag on the north wan and pennants of the competing teams. The flag was presented by Harry L. Anderson post No. 34 of the American Legion. OTHER FEATURES of the new the community to provide the balance. In March this report was presented to the ministers of Iowa Yearly Meeting and the campaign was organized. When 200 Quaker men sat in the dining haU at Penn for the anrvsl banquet on March 22 the board announced that $51,000 had been subscribed from leading givers throughout the church. OJF APRIL 1, President Ball sent the following telegram to Dr. Marts in New York: "This is.no April Fool. We have $75,000 subscribed. Several churches yet to report." By April 2 the total subscriptions reached $81,010 and on April 8 climbed over the $90.000 mark, j Contributions kept pouring in j throughout the year and by Jan- i uary-20, 1956 reached $101,930.75. ] The prompt response and en-' thusiastic support of the campaign given by the church groups ac- ' tually caught the development! council somewhat by surprise. It was only after juggling the sched- ; ules that Dr. Philip C. King of gym include steam heating pro-; Marts * Lundy was able to come vided by a new 261 horsepower'* 0 Oskaloosa. ( steam boiler purchased for $22,- j ON APRIL 20 A. K. Walling, 500 by the college, coaches' and j C. C. Alsop, and Harold Mayer officials' offices in the northern j agreed to assume the leadership locker area, and ample rest rooms j of the Oskaloosa and Mahaska and concessions areas for the pub- j county campaign, lie in the 20 ft by 80 ft. foyer. j The fund drive started slowly The concession stands are! but gained momentum during May ' equipped with the latest cold drink, j and June, and by July 1 the hot drink and popcorn units and i total subscriptions from all sources have tile flooring. j totaled $174,79L The Mahaska \ The very best in a modern j county and Oskaloosa drive alone j "floating" basketball floor rest- j netted over $92,000 by Jan. 20,' ing on special rubber strips for 1956. resiliency has been installed. Two new college regulation Her- culite glass bankboards four ft. by six ft. have been installed at each end of the 94 ft by 50 ft When it became apparent isi April last year that the original estimated cost of the structure was about $50,000 less than the amount actually needed, a second playing floor and two Fairplay, drive was organized. Tick-a-way scoreboards are in use. j At that time contracts could Conduit has been placed under not be let until an additional $25,the floor to accommodate cables' 000 was obtained. A. K. Walling for telephones, radio, and public · once again assumed leadership of address system as well as press the drive, and Scoreboard tables. j BY APRIL S* a total of $225,- Parltmg facilities are adequate'932 had been subscribed permit- with diagonal parking being per- i ting construction to begin on the mitted on the newly widened gymnasium. By August 31 the Trueblood avenue between vortb ' money raised for the gym reached Market and E streets. j the $230,332 figure. This included Parallel parking is used on $115,130 raised by alumni and Penn boulevard, and on Barclay church workers and $110,976 and Gumey streets which inter- raised m Oskaloosa and Mahaska sect Trueblood avenue. Parking county, other contributions to- is permitted on the graveled area taled $4,225. .iitmnd the gym and is used by of- j With successful completion of acials and competing athletes. jthe building campaign the final THE GENERAL contractor was phase of the drive was launched. R. H. Bowers A Son of Montezuma The goal was set at $26,000--the while the plumbing and heating cost of the new bleachers for the was installed by EL G. Brown gym. Plumbing and Heating Co. of Os- , Jack Lamberson assumed the kaloosa. Glen VandeHaar and pob of chairman of the campaign Frank Dow of Oskaloosa did the in rural, church and alumni di- electrical work on the structure, visions while the Jaycees under Construction on the gymnasium' Dr. C. B. Dunshee and Keith Mor- began on April 30 following ris conducted the drive in Oska- ground breaking ceremonies. The ioosa. first shovel of dirt was turned by' Fotrest Whitlatch, Elmer John- Roy Williams of Oskaloosa, presi- son, 'Bob DeCook, and Charles dent of the college board of trus- Rich directed sales operations in tees and chairman of the building nearby towns and communities committee. Mr. Williams used i while Orval Cox and Roy S. Wil- the same shovel used by the late i Hams headed up the church divi- W. H, Kalbach in breaking ground [ «Jon. Richard Foster, George Progressing with Oskaloosa.. HRIFTW4 PER MARKETS The pictures above show a portion of the enlarged Meat Department and the modern, low-temperature refrigerated Dairy Section installed at the completely remodeled Thriftway in downtown Oskaloosa. Buy With Confidence! Every Stem at Thriftwsy b backed by our famous Unconditional Guarantee . . . "100% Satisfaction or money back!" TMs guarantee applies to all the merchandise we seU. It is possible for us to give this iron-clod guarantee because we know we have the finest foods that money can buy. Should any Item fail to meet with your complete approval, yea will be doing us a favor by telling ·s about it. And another important, progressive step by Thriftway Redeemable For Distinguished Merchandise The famous brands you know and trust. Yours at absolutely no cost just for saving the Green Stamps \\ e give with purchases. · HtCKOK · AHGUIDC · CHATHAM · 1847 ftOCEft · 9ATES · KNOWLfS · tULOVA · UHlVfltSAL · DOftMETM · EKCO · EVANS · CANKOH · SAHSON · PA*KE* · KICHEUfU · SESSIONS · tUXTOM · MIKKO-MATtC · DUHDei · SXO7CH KOOLft · FFLUEGER · KODAK · HAMILTON KACH · AHSCO fUCTWC · 7-04STM4STE*

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page