The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas on May 10, 1997 · Page 19
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas · Page 19

Salina, Kansas
Issue Date:
Saturday, May 10, 1997
Page 19
Start Free Trial

SATURDAY MAY 10, 1997 THE SALINA JOURNAL Sports PRO BASKETBALL / C3 TRACK HONOR ROLL / C4 COLLEGE SOFTBALL / C5 c T MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL Two-run 12th lifts Royals New York plays game under protest following reversal of umpire's ruling on a bizarre play By The Associated Press NEW YORK — The Kansas City Royals, helped by a rare reversal of an umpire's ruling on a bizarre play, went on to beat the New York Yankees 7-5 in 12 innings Friday night. The Yankees played the game under protest after the controversial play in the sixth inning. A Royals runner was called out, then allowed to return to a base, leading to a three- run inning that made it 3-all. Shortstop Derek Jeter's throwing error and a run-scoring double by Jeff King put Kansas City ahead in the 12th. King finished with four RBIs. Royals reliever Hipolito Pichardo escaped a bases-loaded jam in the 10th by striking out pinch-hitter Wade Boggs and Joe Girardi. Pichardo has not allowed a run in 15 games this season, totaling 17 innings. Down 3-0, the Royals rallied in the sixth against Kenny Rogers. A leadoff single by Mike Sweeney and one-out walks by Jose Offerman and Jay Bell loaded the bases. King grounded to third baseman Charlie Hayes, who stepped on the bag to force out Offerman. Hayes skipped his throw past first while trying for a double play, allowing a run to score. Offerman lingered near third base coaching box after being forced, and Bell ran past him while advancing on the wild throw. Third base umpire Dale Ford then mistakenly called Bell out for passing Offerman — who was already out. The Yankees left the field after Ford's ruling, and Bell was never tagged. Managers Bob Boone of Kansas City and Joe Torre of New York both came on the field to plead their cases. After the umpires conferred, they sent Bell back to third and King to second. Rogers, who was in the dugout, shouted at ;the umpires as he returned to the mound. > Chili Davis followed with a two-run single off " second baseman Mariano Duncan's glove, tying it at 3. Jeter's two-run homer put New York ahead 5-3 in the seventh. King made it 5-all with a two-run homer in the eighth off Jeff Nelson. Randy Veres (2-0) was the winning pitcher and Brian Boehringer (1-2) was the loser. V PRO FOOTBALL Iphiefs release veteran Collins Yankcm KELLY PRESNELL/The Salina Journal Salina Central's Tony Grafals (foreground) clears a hurdle during his preliminary heat of the 110-meter hurdles Friday at the Salina Central Invitational. South's Allen tops field in javelin Cougar senior wins event with school-record breaking toss of 192-10 on last throw By LARRY MORITZ TlieSalina Journal A first-place finish and school record gave Chris Allen something to sing about all the way to Dallas last night. The Salina South senior nearly missed Friday's Salina Central Track and Field Invitational to take part in a Dallas music competition with South's New Dawn Singers. Instead, Allen and two of his classmates competed at Salina Stadium before hopping in a car and heading south following the meet. Allen's decision to stay proved worthwhile as he won the boys javelin on his sixth and final throw. The win- ALLEN ning toss of 192-10 also established a school record, breaking the old mark of 191-6. "I really felt it today," Allen said. "The weather was perfect and I rested all day in class and didn't really lift too hard. Plus, with 14 schools here, I wanted to get up against better competition. This meet gives me a feel for state." Allen's effort was his best in nearly two years. He topped 185 feet his sophomore year and then started gunning for the school mark. He finally topped it with only three meets remaining in his high school career. "I think the better competition here pushes me," Allen said. "One of the kids I threw against today had a best of 198 feet, so I knew I'd have to throw one out there to beat him." The race for the boys team title came down to the final event of the day, with the Central boys trailing Wichita Southeast by four points. The Mustangs' 1,600-meter relay team of Drew Larson, Nathan Schwab, Trey Egan and Andy Schorn did their job, winning the event with a time of 3:24.79, but Southeast followed Central across the finish line in second to win the team title by two points, 94-92. Manhattan was the winner of the girls team title with 81 points, well ahead of second-place Central with 52 M>. Central's Adam Moos, A. J. Young, Schorn and Egan turned in one of the top times in the state this spring to win the 3,200-meter relay. The Mustangs ran an 8:00.49, topping their previous best this season by nearly eight seconds.The race was a near dead heat at the midway point when Moos handed off to Young. But by the time Young completed his two laps, Egan received the baton with almost a 10-meter lead. Egan's impressive split of 1:57.2 made it all but impossible for anyone to catch the leader. "Mr. Goodwin worked us really hard this week and it was four personal records for all four of our guys," Egan said. "This was a home meet and when you run at home you feel a little more confident. Right now we feel like we've got a good chance to win state." Central sophomore Jessica Williams used a strong kick to win the girls 1,600-meter run. Williams trailed by nearly 10 meters heading into the homestretch, but used that late speed to pass and pull away for the win with a time of 5:30.05. Wichita Southeast standout Mario Ponds swept the 100 and 200-meter dashes and anchored the winning 400- meter relay squad to a meet record time of 42.21. Central's Aaron Green and Terence Newman finished second and third, respectively, behind Ponds in both the 100 and 200. The Mustangs 400 relay squad of Newman, Green, Larson and Sandy Gordon also finished second with a time of 42.47, breaking their school record of 42.66 set earlier this spring. Newman picked up a gold medal in the long jump with a leap of 22-0 V4. The top finish for the South girls came in the shot put, where Alison Stadel had a season-best toss of 39-8 to place second. The Central girls also had a 2-3 finish in the triple jump with Jacquee Jones (35-10 %) and Heather Herrman(34-6'/ < ). Move will save team $1.3 million; Woods heir apparent at free safety From Wire Reports KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The purge at Arrowhead Stadium continues. Veteran free safety Mark Collins, the club's Most Valuable Player in 1996, was released Friday in a move that will save the Chiefs $1.3 million, his 1997 salary. The move came on the heels of the Chiefs' decision not to pursue defensive end Neil Smith, who became a free agent and signed with the Denver Broncos. Quarterback Steve Bono will be released on or shortly after June 1, when the cost of such a move against the salary cap will be decreased. Others, possibly defensive tackle Dan Saleaumua, could also be pushed out then. It was unnecessary to wait until V COLLEGE ATHLETICS June 1 to release Collins, who unlike Bono, Saleaumua and others , was in the last year of his contract. That means the Chiefs were responsible against the NFL salary cap for the remaining portion of his signing bonus ($391,700) no matter when he was released. The move wasn't shocking since Collins refused Schottenheimer's request a few weeks ago to take a salary cut. But Collins said it caught him by surprise. Collins, who lives in California most of the off-season, was tending to other business interests in Kansas City on Friday when he received a call from Schotten- heimer summoning him to Arrowhead. "It's just disappointing how they did the whole thing," Collins said. "Kind of classless. I guess I expected too much from them." Jerome Woods, at 24 nine years younger than Collins, is the heir apparent at safety. He is scheduled to make $462,500 in base salary this year. HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL Cougars earn split with Manhattan Porter's pitching, hitting in game two enable South to maintain share of league lead By HAROLD BECHARD The Salina Journal One player doesn't make a team, but Wade Porter made a big difference Friday night against No. 1-ranked Manhattan. The Salina South senior was suspended for the first game against Manhattan as the . :i Cougars lost, 7-1, and s looked bad doing it. Manhattan 7 3 But in the nightcap, S«iiiui8outh t 6 Porter made his presence i.^S:,v,...;«,^i felt with a strong all- around performance as South won a 6-3 decision at Dean Evans Stadium to forge a tie in the 1-70 League race. The split gave each team a 6-2 record in the league with two games to play. Both teams will be in Topeka next Friday to end the regular season. Manhattan (14-2), the top-ranked team in Class 6A, will be at Topeka West, while South (9-5) is at Topeka High. Porter sat out the first game after being suspended for getting trouble at school. He sat and watched as South kicked the ball all over Evans Stadium. It was downright ugly. Manhattan batters struck out nine times, but were also issued 11 walks. There were six South errors, several passed balls and wild pitches and a balk. Manhattan got all the runs it needed' in the top of the first when it scored twice on an error and RBI double by Ben Oleen. The Indians added single runs in the third and fourth innings without a hit, walking seven times and being helped by three South errors as South's Doug Hill (2-2) took the loss. Scott Fox and Jake Carlson each scored twice for the Indians. "We gave that game away, we stunk it up," South coach Tim Puvogel said. "Errors, walks, passed balls, we did it all. The kids were pretty embarrassed, but they regrouped and played much better in the second game." Porter was the catalyst. He allowed five hits in going the distance, struck out four and walked five in improving his record to 2-1. At the plate, he had a single, double and scored three times. "I was mad at myself. I just wanted to come out and play well," Porter said of his time on the bench in the first game. "This is for the 1-70, so that is all I was thinking about." Porter got stronger as the game went along, retiring seven of the final eight bat- ters he faced. "I just wanted to throw hard," Porter said. "My arm felt great. I haven't thrown that hard all season." South's big inning came in the third when Shaun Puvogel led off the inning with a single and the next three batters hit the ball a total of 60 feet, but produced a sacrifice bunt, a fielder's choice and an infield single. Ryan Tomlins and Jason Gordon followed with RBI singles and Zack Mills drove in Charvat with a ground ball to second. Porter also scored in the fourth and sixth innings for a pair of insurance runs on a single and double, respectively. He came home on a wild pitch in the fourth and on a single by Charvat in the sixth. South rapped out 13 hits in the game as Porter, Charvat, Troy Gillund and Ryan Tomlins each had two hits. Scott Voos had a solo home run for Manhattan. "No errors and a great pitching performance makes a difference in how a team looks," Puvogel said. "Wade felt he had let the team down (in the first game) and he knew he put the team in a bad position. We're a better team when he's on the field." The Cougars, who also played without senior Josh Jahnke (wrist injury), travels to McPherson on Monday for a non-league doubleheader. Longtime Nebraska coach, athletic director Devaney dies Nebraska legend led Cornhuskers to national football titles in 1970, 71 By The Associated Press LINCOLN, Neb. — Bob Devaney, who began a winning Nebraska football tradition in the 1960s and won two national championships in the 1970s, died Friday at a Lincoln retirement home. He was 82. Family spokeswoman Marilyn Mecham said Devaney died of cardiac arrest at 4:05 p.m. at the Eastmont Towers. She said his wife, Phyllis, and son, Mike, were at his side. Funeral arrangements were pending. Devaney's health prompted him to resign in June 1996 as athletic director emeritus. He had a slight stroke in March 1995 and was hospitalized for a heart attack in March 1997. Still, he attempted to visit his campus office regularly, chatting with staff and visitors and sharing stories of his days of success. Devaney stepped down as athletic director in January 1993, having built the athletic program to national prominence as he had done the football program. "I have never looked at coaching, or athletic administration, as a job," he said upon his reluctant retirement. "It has always been a lot of fun for me, and that's why I never really wanted to retire." Athletic director Bill Byrne, who succeeded Devaney, had tried to visit him earlier Friday. "He was in some distress so we didn't get to see him," Byrne said. "It's a sad day. The man was a legend and a giant. Everybody in Nebraska is going to miss him." Devaney was released May 1 from Lincoln General Hospital, where he had been treated since his March 19 heart attack. He also had pneumonia while hospitalized. Devaney came to Nebraska from Wyoming as football coach in 1962. He had a 35-10-5 record in five years at Wyoming and never had a losing season in compiling a 101-20-2 record over 11 years at Nebraska. The 1970 and 1971 teams won national championships. Some experts consider the 1971 team the best ever assembled. Devaney handed the coaching reigns to his offensive coordinator, Tom Osborne, after the 1972 season. Osborne was in Nevada and unavailable for immediate comment. "As a coach, athletic director and as a friend, Bob has had more impact on me than any other single person at Nebraska," Osborne said in an earlier interview. "I appreciate him giving me a chance to coach and all the support over the years." Gov. Ben Nelson, a Nebraska alum, said Devaney was an inspiration to the state. "He made pride in Nebraska and pride in football the same," the governor said. SUGGESTIONS? CALL BOB DAVIDSON, SPORTS EDITOR, AT (913) 823-6363 OR 1-800-827-6363 OR E-MAIL AT ••, vO

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free