Quad-City Times from Davenport, Iowa on March 4, 1985 · 5
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

Quad-City Times from Davenport, Iowa · 5

Publication:
Location:
Davenport, Iowa
Issue Date:
Monday, March 4, 1985
Page:
5
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Images of America- our missing children ByFredBayles THE ASSOCIATED PRESS They stare back from milk cartons, utility bills, turnpike toll cards even pizza boxes. They are the faces of the nation's missing children, and their Images are rapidly becoming fixtures of American culture. With awareness growing of the L5 million children reported missing each year, public officials and private businesses are finding more and more places to display pictures of lost youngsters. ; The use of product packaging as wanted posters began last year in Des Moines when the Anderson-Er-ickson Dairy printed pictures of John Gosch and Eugene Martin, two local newspaper boys who vanished in separate incidents. "It just snowballed from there," said Frank Olson, the dairy's assistant manager. "I think more people are aware of what's going on with child abuse and child ab duction." Since then, more than 700 of the nation's 1,800 dairies have put the faces of the missing on their products. It is estimated 1.5 billion such milk cartons had been distributed nationwide. In recent months, the faces have made their way onto grocery bags, truck posters and soda bottles. New Jersey officials talk of putting flyers in state employees' paychecks. A Los Angeles musician has produced a rock video featuring pictures of missing children. "Everybody in their own way is trying to help," said ' Howard Wilkinson, president of National Child Safety Council, a Jackson, MiclL, non-profit group that has been coordinating the information campaign with dairies and other businesses. Wilkinson said fast-food chains and candy manufac- ' turers had expressed interest in the program. "We're dealing with a lot of people who are saying This is something good," he said. QUAD-CITY TIMES Monday, March 4, 1985 British miners cave in LONDON (AP) - Faced with collapse of its 357-day-old strike, the coal miners' union called off the longest and most violent walkout in British history on Sunday. It ordered miners to return to work Tuesday without an agreement or a promise that fired workers would be rehired : The announcement was a victory for Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who came to power in 1979 intent on curbing the country's powerful labor unions. "This is a victory for common sense, and for those who stayed at work," Mrs. Thatcher said, expressing "overwhelming relief that the strike was over. "We had to stand out against intimidation. We could never give in to blackmail or give in to a strike which makes impossible demands," she said. The prime niinister also said she believed the overwhelming majority of miners now want to return to work and added, "I hope there will be reconciliation" between the strikers and nonstrikers. But the Marxist leader of the National Union of Mineworkers, Arthur Scargill, called the strike "a tremendous achievement" and said his union will continue to fight plans by the state-owned National Coal Board to close unprofitable mines the key issue in the dispute. - Coal Board spokesman Michael Eaton said the industry did not welcome Scargill's announcement that "the battle continues." , But, Eaton said, "We obviously welcome the fact that the strike is coming to an end. We would have preferred an agreement at the end of the dispute:" The strike provoked violent picket-line clashes of an intensity previously unseen in Britain. Bloody fights between police and striking miners became nightly fare on British television at the height of the dispute. About 1,500 police and hundreds of strikers were injured and about 9,500 miners arrested over the course of the dispute. Against the recommendation of Scargill and other top union leaders, the union decided on Sunday "by the tightest possible margin" to call off its strike and ordered its workers back to work on Tuesday, Scargill said. v i til ti.Jr? 1 f .1 - II' lH M " i 1 "M ' ii I -itzhi-Sii,.''; -V ----- if? rmr" wz-Jl.. - --. tig III I ilill 1 illiilf H iMgmSt 4 1 ( Wr-i- XJr -C 1 1 f; r " , erf Y ' 1 i the 20-year re-enactment of the 19 Leading the marCh from m to Montgomery. From son; Southern Christian Leadership Civil rights leaders make their way across the Edmund W. Pettus Bridge in Selma, Ala, on Sunday. It is the 20-year re-enactment of the 1965 civil rights march left: Rev. Jesse Jack- Conference President Joseph Lowery; Mrs. Joseph Lowery; and Mrs. Coretta Scott King. (AP photo) Goetz hurting himself ? Bernhard Goetz NEW YORK (AP) -Bernhard Goetz may be "digging a very deep hole" for himself by speaking publicly about his shooting of four youths on the subway, New York Police Commissioner Benjamin Ward said Sunday. Ward's comments came as prosecutors considered seeking a more serious indictment against Goetz, and as polls showed a majority of respondents in New York and nationwide supporting Goetz's action. A Newsweek Poll conducted by the Gallup Organization showed that 57 percent of the respondents approved of the shootings, the magazine reported in its current issue. A poll of New Yorkers conducted by the New York Daily News and WABC-TV showed 51 percent approving of the shootings. But while 57 percent of the whites polled approved, only 37 percent of the blacks approved, the newspaper said, v The wounded youths are black; Goetz is white. Ward, who appeared on WNBC-TVs "News4orum" program, said public comments by Goetz suggested that he might have "a Messiah complex," a wish to be viewed as a savior. "Now that he has decided to become public and make these public statements, it just kind of reminds me of someone who's digging a very deep hole, and at some point the sides are going to collapse on him, and we're going to find out a lot more about Bernhard Goetz than we knew in the past." Goetz has told all three of New York's major newspapers that more citizens should be allowed to carry guns. He emphasized in an interview with the Daily News v last week that individuals should be properly screened and trained to handle guns. "The training is very important You've got to teach them how to get the gun out quickly. You can't have a guy fumbling with the weapon..." he said. ' Goetz was indicted Jan. 19 for illegal weapons possession by a grand jury that declined to charge him with more serious offenses recommended by prosecutors, such as attempted murder. The 37-year-old electronics calibrator has said he shot the four youths on the subway in self-defense after one of them demanded $5 from him. Neither Goetz nor the youths agreed to testify before the grand jury. Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau, however, was considering resubmitting the case to a grand jury because an attorney for one of the teenagers said his client would testify before another grand jury without asking for immunity. iiS Business -scene Shareholders reject restructuring NEW YORK (AP) - Phillips Petroleum Co. said Sunday night that shareholders apparently have defeated the company's proposed restructuring plan, and it announced it would launch a new $4.5 billion attempt to avert a hostile takeover. ' The nation's eighth-largest oil company is being pursued by New York financier Carl Icahn, who has offered $8.06 billion in cash and securities for Phillips. "One of the conditions for Icahn's offer to proceed was that shareholders defeat Phillips' plan, which was put together in December to escape another hostile takeover bid led by T. Boone Pickens Jr., the chairman of Mesa Petroleum Co. . In the initial plan, Phillips offered to buy back 58.8 million shares of its stock with securities having a face value of $60 a share. It also proposed selling up to 39 percent of its stock to its employees enough to block any unwelcome suitor under proposed new by-laws. Northeastern sets layoffs FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) Financially strapped Northeastern International Airways has grounded three of its four planes and is planning new layoffs, a spokesman said Sunday. ' At least through Tuesday, the carrier will fly only one of its Boeing 727s from here to Philadelphia and Islip, N.Y, said Wally Knlef, an airline spokesman. ... He said he didn't know how many people would be laid off. - Pan Am tries to cope MIAMI (AP) - Managers of Pan American World Airways sold tickets, loaded bags and served coffee Sunday, as an estimated 300 of the airline's 400 daily flights remained grounded in the fourth day of a strike by baggage handlers and other support staff. About 400 managers were standing in for the 1,000 striking workers and 3,600 members of other unions honoring picket lines here, Pan Am spokesman Mike Clark said. Instead of the usual 45 Pan Am flights from Miami, only three to Caracas, Venezuela; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and London departed Sunday, he said. 86 repeat offenders WASHINGTON - Almost 84 percent of arriving inmates at state prisons around the country in 1979 were repeat offenders, according to a study conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics and made public Sunday. - The study reported that 61 percent had been imprisoned previously, and that 42 percent were on probation or parole for an earlier conviction at the time they entered prisoa About 28 percent of those who entered prison would still have been jailed for an earlier offense had they served the maximum term to which were sentenced. The study involved interviews with a sample of inmates nationwide. MO )I7Gj? (C) The New York Times MEXICO CITY - Security at border stations between the United States and Mexico was stepped up and nine border crossings were closed Saturday night after threats were made against U.S. Customs Service agents, officials of both countries said Sunday. The actions were taken after what the Mexican government said were anonymous threats of "the possible kidnapping of some United States officials." The move was taken by joint agreement between the two governments, a statement from the Mexican Interior Ministry said. Spokesmen for the U.S. Embassy and the Customs Service said the threats, details of which were not given, were believed to be linked to the increased pace of investigations into Mexico's drug trade since the abduction last month of a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agent, Enrique Camarena Salazar. . "We've gotten some threats on customs agents," said Lee Johnson, the embassy spokesman, "and so the customs office in Washington decid-' ed to close nine of the small mostly : one-person border crossing posts, betwen our two countries." He said; that embassy personnel had also re-' ceived threats in recent days, but de- clined to specify their nature. In a related action, the Mexican attorney general's office announced -Sunday that five people, including an i . agent of the Federal Judicial Police,4 were killed in a gun battle on Satur- day when the police raided a ranch in Vista Hermosa, in the state of' Michoacan. The police were investigating a tip that Camarena Salazar and an abducted Mexican pilot who' had worked with him might be held at the ranch, the attorney general's office said in a statement Spokes-, men for the attorney general's office could not be reached for details. - A spokesman for the U.S. Customs Service, Dennis Murphy, said all border stations had been instructed to increase their security since the threat to its agents and that customs inspectors had been instructed' to wear their weapons while off duty as well as on. Cong reap (C) The New York Times WASHINGTON - Farmers and allied interests have contributed a total of $8.2 million to the current members of Congress, including many from districts with small farm populations, according to reports filed with the Federal Election Commission.' . ' Members of Congress said the campaign contributions, which totaled perhaps 5 percent of their gifts from all political action committees, did not directly influence their votes last week to provide credit relief to farmers. Both houses of Congress passed bills to help farmers despite a veto threat by President Reagaa Instead, the senators and representatives cited the crisis facing farmers who already have large debts, but seek additional loans to pay for the planting of crops this spring. Many farmers have had severe financial problems because of high interest rates, falling land ressmee dollars values and low prices for farm commodities. Members of Congress acknowledge that contributors gain access and can therefore make their arguments known, although there is no guarantee the arguments will be accepted. The' data on contributions from political action committees representing agricultural interests were collected by Edward Roeder, Washington editor of Sunshine News Services, a company that studies campaign financing. They show that House members received $4.4 million in the last' two years. Democrats got $2.4 million and Republicans received $2 million. Senators in the last six years received a total of $3.8 million from farmers and related interests, according to Roeder's tabulation. Of this amount, $2.5 million went to Republicans and $1.3 million to Democrats. i PcOG0GCDiI? NEW YORK (AP) - A federal law enforcement official said Sunday that the Mafia could be destroyed within five years, but he and other crime experts warned that new leaders and dangerous new gangs could revitalize organized crime. Last month's indictment of five men alleged to make up a "commission" that controls the Mafia should be viewed as a beginning, rather than an end, to the fight against the mob, said U.S. Attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani of New York. ' Giuliani also declined to comment on a published report that a new "godfather" of the underworld may be tapped as a result of the arrests. "There's an awful lot of work left two, three, four, five more years of indictments like this," Giuliani said on CBS' "Face the Nation" program. "If this is the start of the direction we're going in, then we can have some real success against this organization," Giuliani said. "If this is the end of It, if we stop here, then they'll be back in power within months without any problem at alL" Arthur Nehrbass, chief organized-crime fighter for the Miami police, said the arrests of reputed Mafia chieftains could lead to bloody combat among their deputies. "We're going to see some violence in the Cosa Nostra and the struggle to assume power," he said on the program. Nehrbass also warned of the rise of Colombian or ganized crime, which he labeled particularly dangerous, especially drug trafficking in Miami, Los Angeles and New York. "I think that the Colombian crime families are totally psychopathic. They have no social conscience whatsoever," he sail "They do not have the discipline that La Cosa Nostra has. They're cold-blooded killers." Howard Abadinsky, a Washington criminologist, said it was "unrealistic" to suggest that the Mafia could disappear within five years. He said a hierarchy" was already Was in place to replace leaders, many of whom are aging. However, Giuliani noted that 130 alleged Mafia members and associates, many in their 30s, 40s and 50s, have been indicted in an FBI crackdown in New York. "We have to incapacitate the young people as well as the older people," he said. The prosecutor declined to comment on a report in Sunday's New York Daily News that the Gamblno family, the largest and most powerful of the five families whose reputed leaders were indicted on racketeering charges, already has a new acting boss. The News quoted law enforcement sources as saying that John Gotti, an underboss in the Gamblno clan, is also active in the affairs of the other families and was most likely to take over as leader of the national crime syndicate. No charges for kingpin WASHINGTON (AP) - The Justice Department has declined to prosecute reputed Chicago crime kingpin Anthony "Big Tuna" Accardo for perjury stemming from his testimony during' a Senate probe of alleged mob control of the hotel workers union. "There is no realistic possibility of disproving any of the material aspects of Accardo's testimony," Stephen S. Trott, assistant attorney general for the criminal division, said in a Feb. 20 letter to Sen. William V. RothJr,R-DeL Roth said he was "very disappointed" that the department, in consultation with the FBI and the Internal Revenue Service, concluded there is insufficient evidence that Accardo lied June 21 when he appeared before Roth's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. ,

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 19,600+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the Quad-City Times
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free