Garden City Telegram from Garden City, Kansas on July 2, 1976 · Page 5
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Garden City Telegram from Garden City, Kansas · Page 5

Publication:
Location:
Garden City, Kansas
Issue Date:
Friday, July 2, 1976
Page:
Page 5
Start Free Trial
Cancel

34 Denominations in Town Today Garden City Churches Date Back to '79 By RODNEY HOFFMAN The first religious services in Garden City took place in homes, store buildings and even livery barns. The settlers often waited weeks or months between visits by a minister of their denomination. . The settlers usually came with a plow, a rifle and a bible. Their first concerns were building homes and making a living but their thoughts soon turned to schools and churches — the cornerstones of a community. ' Some time in the winter of 1878-79 — less than a year after Garden City was settled — Elder Spencer of Sherlock (Holcomb) conducted a religious service here. According to.the History of Finney County (Vol. 1), this was the first and only service until the Rev. W. D. Williams of Sterling visited here May 18, 1879. A Sunday school was organized that day and there was preaching both morning and evening. The service was Celebrates All Month Long in the Landis and Hollinger Store building. This building was still being constructed but temporary seats of lumber helped make the room "comfortable." "The attendance was so large and the interest so manifest that it was deemed expedient to continue religious services. Rev. Williams announced that he would visit them again in three weeks." On the fourth day of August, 1879, the first church in Garden City — the First Congregational Church — was organized. There were less than thirty charter members but they represented a union of five different denominations. On Sept. 10, 1882, they dedicated the first church building in Garden City. Seven other churches were established in the 1880s. During the early years of Garden City, Catholics in..the area traveled by wagon to the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Hopkins in Sherlock. The small Catholic congregation gathered whenever a missionary priest came into this territory for Sunday Mass. Later, services were con- The Sublelte Christian Church is observing our nation's Bicentennial every Sunday in July. On Sunday, July 4th, a portrait of Uncle Sam by James Wood, a member of the church, will be unveiled at 10:45 a.m. There will be a special program 7:30 p.m. Monday, Julys. The "Master's Men," a 40-member male choir from Lincoln Christian College, Lincoln, 111., will sing religious and patriotic music. On Sunday, July 11, special Bicentennial booklets will be given to each person at the 10:45 a.m. worship service. These booklets will be used at the service. The public is invited to attend all these services. U.S. Documents Sermon Topics Marvin Brown, interim pastor at The Community Church, will base the Fourth of July sermon on themes from historic United States Documents. "We hold these truths" from the Declaration of Independence, "We the people" from the Preamble to the Constitution, and Abraham Lincoln's "The last, best hope of earth" will be cited as representing crucial phases of the nations history. Gail Price will be the guest soloist, with Wilda Lee Ladner, organist, accompanying. A fellowship hour will follow the service. ducted in a lodge room above the former Tinker Shop on 8th St. In 1898 St. Mary's moved to the former Congregational Church building at 8th and Fulton. The First Methodist Church of Garden City was chartered less than three years after the first family settled here. For many years it was served by "circuit pastors" who traveled many miles each Sunday to Various meeting places. Garden City's first Methodist sermon was preached in a pool hall on Sunday, Jan. 15, 1882, by the Rev. Henry S. Booth. "This service was so effective that ten persons formed an organization on Feb. 19 of that year and applied for a charter as The First Methodist Episcopal Church. It is believed to have had services every Sunday since that January day, except while the city was quarantined ten weeks in the fall of 1918 during the influenza epidemic." A frame church was built in 1884 at the northwest corner of 8th and Chestnut streets. Until then services were conducted where space could be found, most of the time in the loft of the Red Lion Livery Barn where the Garden Belle Lumber Company now stands. By 1888 the church reported 203 members. • In February, 1884 the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized. The following year a church was erected at the corner of 6th and Laurel. At one time the church claimed 207 members, but by 1897 the membership had dwindeled to less than 50, and "many of these were unable to contribute money." In November, 1898 the Cumberland Presbyterian and Congregational churches united, forming the Union Church. In 1929 it became the Community Church. On May 8, 1884, a "group gathered at the Red Lion Livery Barn to organize the First Christian Church. Two years later they constructed a one-story frame building which had three rows of pews and stained glass windows. On the last Sunday in a November, 1919, during the Sunday School Hour, the building caught fire and burned to the ground. While a new building was in progress, services were conducted in a theatre in the Windsor block. The first meeting of the Baptists was in the Methodist Church in December, 1885. The church had no regular meeting place, so there was a prayer gathering once a week in different homes of the members. When preaching services were possible, they were either in the Stevens Opera House or in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Services were continued in different halls until a building was completed at the corner of 7th and Laurel streets. Two churches — St. Thomas Episcopal and the First Presbyterian — were established in 1886. One of the first rectors at St. Thomas — the Rev. H. C. Dyer — left the parish after less than six months of service. It had been impossible to raise his salary because so many had left the area during hard times. The First Presbyterian Church had 27 charter members. Until the dedication of their church in 1887, they used the Congregational Church and the Opera House for services. The Presbyterians suffered P membership loss as the other churches and were urged to Pump Organ in , . Bicentennial Presbyterians Keep services Summer Schedule This July 4th Attend A "God and Country Service At First Assembly of God 702 Campus Drive Special Guests * Members of the Kansas Law Enforcement Agencies * Military Color Guard Schedule of Services School of the Bible 9:45 a.m. God Er Country Service 10:35 a.m. Service of Remembrance 7:00 p.m. In honor of our Beloved Founder we are open every Sunday. Rev. Loyd Gross Baptists Get New Minister Fellowship Baptist Church has a new minister to succeed the Rev. Ron Van Hee, who has been transferred to Rock Springs, Who. The Rev. Loyd Gross has been named to the post, and comes here from Valley Center where he had ministered for the past two years. He has been in the ministry 10 years, and also has served the church in Kinsley and in Oklahoma. The Minneola native and his wife, Allison, have a 14-year- old son, Curtis, a daughter, Mrs. Kathy Brown, Olathe, and one grandson. Patriotic Celebration of Worship Sunday, July 4 - First United Methodist Church Presentation of Colors Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag the Christian Flag and the Holy Bible •&CAROL ANDERSON SINGING THE BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC LETS LOOK AT OUR FLAG - Bryce Baker ' SERMON: "THERE IS NO LOOKING BACK" Rev. Leonard Clark 1 Pastoral prayer by the Rev. Nellie Holmes Childrens Story hour — Chancel Choir singing America the Beautiful Dedication of our Flag Presentation of Congregational Pictorial Directories. Early Church: 8:30 a.m. Sunday School: 9:30 a.m. Late Church 10:30 a.m. Daily Dial A Devotion -275-9124 WELCOME St. James Lutheran Church will conduct a Bicentennial Worship at 10 a.m. on Sunday, July 4th. This service will feature "A Colonial Liturgy in English" dating back to 1748 and Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, pioneer Lutheran pastor in eastern Pennsylvania before and during the Revolutionary War. The service will include hymns' and prayer of the colonial period, and the choir will present a Bicentennial Anthem. The pump organ used for many years in old St. James Church has been brought back to the church for use on Sunday. The pastor will wear vestments of the type and style used in the colonial period. Two Sites for Registrations City Hall will be open in the evenings from now until July 13 for voter registration, as will be the courthouse. Finney County Clerk Carol Brown said her office and that of the city clerk will be open until 9 p.m. each evening until ' the July 13'Meadline for primary voter registration. "Anyone who has moved or changed his name and hasn't re-registered, needs to do so before July 13 to be able to vote in the primary election Aug. 3," Mrs. Brown said. She said that both offices would be closed on July 5 for Independence Day. Mrs. Brown said people who need to register for the primary should take advantage of the two offices which will be open late as soon as possible. City Adopted First Ordinance in 1883 Interested in historic city ordinances? Garden City's first ordinance was adopted Feb. 8, 1883. It prohibited the running at large of cattle and all livestock within the city limits. The second ordinance related to offenses against the \ public safety. Mainly, it regulated the speed of trains through the city limits and retrained them from holding street crossings for longer than five minutes. An ordinance was passed April 30, 1883, requiring property owners to erect hitching racks in front of their premises. That was so growing trees might be properly protected. Watermelon Feed Sunday at Sublette SUBLETTE — The Haskell County Republican Party will host its sixth annual free watermelon feed on July 4 in Sublette. It will be at the Sublette Community Park, starting at 3 p.m. It is expected that several Republican office holders will attend. Officials hope that the public will attend to enjoy the free watermelon and meet the representatives. The United Presbyterian Church at the corner of Seventh and Pine streets will continue to worship at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday. This time schedule will continue until August 22nd. This Sunday the theme of worship will follow the Bicentennial birthday of our nation. The hymns are "0 Beautiful for Spacious Skies", "We've a Story to Tell to the Nations", and "We Praise Thee, O God, Our Redeemer". The organ music will be provided by Mrs. Claude Robinson. Mrs. Roy M. Jones, Jr. will sing a solo entitled, "Give Us Your Tired and Your Poor." The worship leader is Elder Ronald Strong. The children's talk will be given by Raymond I. (Rim) Massey, the intern-pastor, entitled "Celebrate?" The sermon will be preached by Pastor Bill Seybert entitled "Now's My Chance," based upon Genesis 50:15-21. There will be a Nursery Class, a Kindergarten Class, and a nursery for infants provided during worship. Immediately following worship there will be a fellowship time in the Stella Stewart Room. Coffee and Kool-Aid will be served. Pastor Seybert said, "Everyone will be made welcome." join the Union Church. They refused. In April, 1904, the Brethren Mission Board sent the Rev. S. E. Thompson to Garden City. At that time the Baptists were without a pastor and permission was secured to use their church. On Aug. 18,1906, the Brethren Church was organized here with the Rev. Thompson as pastor. The Church of the Nazarene had its beginning here about the year 1906. Interested families met in homes for prayer meetings. In 1929, they purchased the former Presbyterian Church building. In the spring of 1921, a number of members withdrew from the Mission congregation of the Missouri Synod (Lutheran Church), and united under th'e leadership of Frank Schmale. Schmale wrote a letter to the Mission superintendent of the Iowa Synod, saying, "Come over to Garden City and help us." Largely as the results of efforts by Schmale, St. James Lutheran was formed and a Page 5 Garden City Telegram Friday, July 2,1976 building was constructed on Jones Avenue across from the former Junior College. In January, 1933, a survey was conducted to determine the number of church organizations in Garden City and their memberships. The results follow: Adventist, 40; Assembly of God, 60; Baptist, 240; Brethren, 140; Catholic, 681; Christian, 375; Christian Science, 23; Church of God, 73; Community, 210; Episcopal, 38; Evangelical Lutheran, 95; Methodist, 815; Mexican Methodist, 25; Missouri Synod Lutheran, 132; Nazarene, 43; Negro Baptist, 45; Negro Church of God in Christ, 6; Negro Methodist, 46; Negro Penticostal Mission, 6; Presbyterian, 304; Volunteers of America, 14. It was a grand total of 21 churches and 3,411 members. Today there are 34 churches in Garden City. Here Sunday The Redemption Singers, a Gospel group from Guymon, Okla., will be featured at the campus drive Southern Baptist Church, 309 Campus Dr. The group will be in charge of the 7 o'clock evening service singing patriotic and gospel music. The public is invited. THE REDEMPTION SINGERS will be featured at the Southern Baptist Church this Sunday evening. ASTRO r= i R Ev g| ***************** \\ * *!F* ************* FIRECRACKERSPkg. 16 Reg. 19$ 2 for 1 90 SPARKLERS No 8 Reg 29£ 2 for 250 WHIZZ or ZIZZ BANG Reg 25£ 90 BUZZ BOMBS/TNT BOMB Reg 750 2 for 690 GROUND BLOOM FLOWER ^ 70 5/330 MIGHTY MITE SNAPPERS Box of 100 Reg. $1.50 690 HURRY WHILE SUPPLIES LAST **************** Highway 83 North East of Garden City on Highway 50 S. side of Highway 50 West 2220 W. Highway 50 at Buffalo Mill "If we give our First loved us so much that Jesus with us - love to God, who he shared His Son our service to our fellow men will be the greatest and the best." EASTSIDE CERAMICS Now Open! Formerly Dyer's Ceramics East Highway 50 _ _ F I R 'RO O R KS

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free