Lake Charles American-Press from Lake Charles, Louisiana on May 24, 1964 · Page 49
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Lake Charles American-Press from Lake Charles, Louisiana · Page 49

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Issue Date:
Sunday, May 24, 1964
Page 49
Start Free Trial

Specialties for someone special SUGGESTIONS FROM MRS. DAN GERBER •Here's cereal magic with a fruitful viewpoint: Gerber Strained Oatmeal or 'Mixed Cereal with -Applesauce and Bananas. Each cereal is cooked with the Iruit and'ready to serve. The flavors are del ightfully subtle... the texture marvelously moist and smooth. In the nutrition department i»th are enriched with iron and important 6-vitemins. Why <not try a jar soon and watch four baby's appetite rise to the occasion? Serve "as is" ortop with *nilk for added nourishment Sunny t>aby specialty. Doctors •recommend<egg yolks in the infant diet for the iron and other important nutrients they supply. Gerber Strained €gg Yolks are thigh in •iron and vitamin A and a good source of foody-building protein. And, they're special ly processed to 'make them delightfully palatable for babies. The happy result?-A creamy, custard-like texture, a delicate, fresh-egg flavor. ttand-y 4tfea to tickle a toddler pink, finger-feeders or spoon-wavers can «practice <hand-to-mouth co-ordination in a blissful (and nourishing) way with Gerber Cookies • for Toddlers. Wore than "sugar 'n* spice"these adorable, animal- shaped cookies have twice as much .protein as most other cookies, plus important B-vitamins in the icing. Crunchy-good and fun to munch, they're alsoigreatfor teaching yourtoddler animal names. Good sgo-togethers: Berber <Fru it Juices or Puddings, taste-mated with Gerber Cookies. A Salute to Courage (Continued from page 5) ii! ::: ill i:: 1! iii ::: I ii :: :: i! :|: ii ii! i:: MacDonald, to smuggle cheeseburgers into his hospital room. He was so desperately anxious to remain on the swimming team and compete against YaJe that he also talked MacDonald into helping him sneak out of the infirmary and into the pool to practice! Weakened as he was by the virus, he still managed to swim several laps almost every day—and no one but MacDonald was the wiser! Kennedy was discharged from the infirmary a few days before the swimming contest. But since he was still weak, he lost his coveted place on the team to six-foot-five Richard Tregaskia (who later became a famous war correspondent and author of Guadalcanal Diary). The story of how the Japanese destroyer Amagiri sank the PT-109 commanded by Lt. (j.g.) John F. Kennedy is too familiar to be retold here. But a layman familiar with his authenticated medical history cannot help being puzzled toy two things: how this gangling young man ever passed the Navy physical examination and how, with his injured back, he managed to survive the agonizing, bone- chilling, five-hour swim to the nearest island while towing a crew member who was too severely burned to swim. Fellow 'crew members have said that Kennedy was in a semiconscious state (during the next two days—but nonetheless he made two long solo sorties in an «ventually successful search for help. After iris rescue, lie gaunt skipper, now down to 127 pounds, was sent back to tihe States to convalesce. Sciatica (neuritis of a nerve in the hip region) now reached out to rack his frail body. An operation to relieve this condition was performed at the -Chelsea (Mass.) Naval Hospital. He also brought back two other souvenirs of his long Pacific ordeal: malaria, which lingered for seven years ibef ore running its course, and an adrenal insufficiency, which returned to plague him many years later, John Kennedy was always in pain during the next few years—even though he campaigned strenuously and successfully for Congress. During his three campaigns, he never showed the face of pain to his constituents. But when the day's campaigning was over and he was alone with members of his family or with such ^devoted friends as Dave Powers, he invariably used crutches to partially alleviate the residual muscle spasm that was *ver-present. By 1954 (he was now a Senator) the agony was so intense that lie was forced to use crutches continually. His weight 'had skidded alarmingly to 140 pounds, and his body resistance had «bbed. Doctors were uncertain as to what course *o take. Some felt that the risk of a back operation was too (great. Finally, their patient made the decision— he would gamble on the operation. On Oct. 21,1954, a lumbar spine infusion was attempted at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. The operation was not a success, and it was followed by such a severe infection that hope for his life waned and the last rites of the "Catholic Church were administered. Then Iris doctors watched with amazement as he clung {tenaciously to a flickering spark of life. The spark grew, however, and in December, although the incision had not healed, he was put on a stretcher, taken to a plane, and flown to Florida to recuperate. But there was no real convalescence, and in February, 1955, he was returned to the hospital for another operation. This was partially successful; a metal plate, which had ?been inserted during the first operation, was removed, Family Weekly, May S4,1964 A 1961 back injury forced President Kennedy to use crutches. and the still-active infection was stopped by antibiotics. This time he walked out, although on crutches. Two months later, Kennedy returned for a checkup. He couldn't hide the intense pain from the doctors, and they injected a local anesthetic directly into the cramped and shortened muscles in an attempt to obtain rapid relaxation, relieve the pain, and restore muscle length. Such treatment can permanently or almost permanently interrupt the vicious cycle of pain-spasm-pain. It worked as well as could be expected. The doctors also discovered that Kennedy's left leg was now shorter than his right, so they placed a quarter-inch lift in the heels of his left shoes. To give needed support to the lower part of his back, they fitted him with a small corsetlike brace. Now he began to swim regularly and play an occasional round of golf. He was physically ready for the biggest political battle of his life—the effort to win the Presidency. During the 1960 primary campaign, Kennedy's image was that of a strong, relaxed man whose medical woes were all behind him. Then, a week before the Democratic convention opened, a bombshell exploded! A rival faction reported that John F. Kennedy was suffering from Addison's disease (tuberculosis of the adrenal glands). This ailment is usually fatal. Fortunately, Kennedy had anticipated that the state of his health would be questioned, and he already had asked doctors to prepare a complete record of his medical and surgical history. In this exhaustive report, they said that his experience in the Pacific plus the attack of malaria had resulted in some adrenal insufficiency, but never at any time did he have Addison's disease. They added that the adrenal insufficiency had long been cured by cortisone and other drugs. Kennedy's aides and supporters, as well as the medical profession, were quick to ridicule the rival report by pointing out the grueling pace he had set for himself during the primary campaign. No man in doubtful health could have done that without cracking up. During Mr. Kennedy's three years in the White House, the pain occasionally returned. But he never mentioned it, not even to his brother Bobby, the Attorney General. The President swam in the White House pool twice a day, usually with Dave Powers. He liked to chat while swimming, but occasionally he remained silent. Powers always suspected that this was when the pain manifested itself. On these occasions, the President would cut short his swim and hurry back to his office to drive himself as only he could do. When this happened, Powers always thought of that morning in Milwaukee when Kennedy had said: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." A Kennedy cabinet member agrees that the President was often in pain: "After greeting you, he'd sit in that rocking chair. Sometimes we might talk for half an hour. Then he'd get up to see you out. I always noticed that his first two or three steps were a bit uncertain. Sitting immobile for that long must have stiffened some back muscles and caused him agony. But it was only momentary. When he reached the door, his step was strong, his handclasp firm, his face smiling. And he never mentioned the pain. "Most people thought that Bobby was the tough one in the family. He's tough, but he's also very healthy. Jack was the real tough one. He never mentioned his pain to anyone because he had nothing but contempt for a whiner. And he had nothing but contempt for pain."

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free