Alton Evening Telegraph from Alton, Illinois on August 27, 1956 · Page 10
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Alton Evening Telegraph from Alton, Illinois · Page 10

Publication:
Location:
Alton, Illinois
Issue Date:
Monday, August 27, 1956
Page:
Page 10
Start Free Trial
Cancel

PAGE TEN ALTON EVENING TELEGRAPH MONDAY, AUGUST 27,1956 Society... MR. AND MRS. THOMAS OSSIAN NORDLING (Hicki Photo) MR. AND MRS. WILLIAM C. PULLEN (Schlobohm Photo) ; Double ring nuptial vows were exchanged at 8 o'clock -.Saturday night before the Rev. AV. Freeman Privett in Cherry Street Baptist Church by Miss* Janet Kay Dickerson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. L. Dickerson, 2509 Davis St., and William G. Pullen, son of Mr. and Mrs. John T. Pullen, 33 Forest Dr., Rosewood Heights, and a reception at the Dickerson home followed the ceremony. Bouquets of white gladioli and chrysanthemums were set against a background of wood- wardia and candelabra. The tapers were lighted by Miss Kathleen Thompson and Mrs. Robert Bull, wearing corsages of white Fuji chrysanthemums. Walking down the aisle ahead of the bride and her father were five bridal attendants and the flower girl, all gowned alike in waltz length frocks of light blue crystalette and taffeta, styled with boat necklines going to a V with a small bow in back, long torso waistlines .ending in a point with a bow and full skirts. Mrs. George W. Edwards Jr., of Bartlesville, Okla., nee Marjorie Dickerson, sister of the bride and matron of honor, and two bridesmaids, Mrs. William L. Dickerson, the bride's sister-in-law, and Miss Janice Kay Glenn, wore blue feathered hats made with half veils and seed pearls. The junior bridesmaids, Miss Susan Kay Dickerson and Miss Donna Leslie Dickerson of Decatur, nieces of the bride, and the flower girl, Beverly Ann Dickerson, also a niece, had headbands of white lace over blue trimmed with rhinestones. Mrs. Edwards carried a bas- quet of pink Fuji chrysanthemums and pink snowdrift chrysanthemums arranged with ivy, while the four bridesmaids basquets contained pink Fuji chrysanthemums only and the flower girl cai-ried a basket of the same flowers. All wore light blue mitts pointed over the hands. Holding a Rainbow Bible covered with white orchids and streamers tied with stephanotis, the bride was wearing a gown fashioned with scoop neckline of imported lace and nylon tulle adorned with sequins and seed pearls, long pointed sleeves and flounced skirt of Chantilly lace over white slipper satin scattered with sequins and seed pearls, which ended In a court train. Her headdress was a crown of sequins and seed pearls holding a hand-rolled, waist length silk veil. Richard Williamson served as best man to Mr. Pullen. James Barker and William L. Dickerson, the bride's brother, were groomsmen, while Donald Funk, Robert Kilgo and Gene Bosaw were ushers. Eric Dana (Rick) Edwards, the bride's pephew, was ring bearer. > Musical selections at the wedding included "Cantilene Nun- fiale," Dubois, "Clair de Lune." Debussy, "Liebestraum," Liszt, "O Perfect Love" and "You'll J^eyer Walk Alone," played by Mrs. Alvin H. Herman, organ- l-BUI J. Reed, vocal soloist, ding "With This Ring," "Walk Hand In Hand With Me" and '{Wedding Prayer." ''Decorations at the reception, held on the lawn, Included a tplils centered with two large lice wedding bolls with clus- t&u of pink carnations and pink rjbbuns as clappers. Epergnes, With hurricane lamp centers, plained white snowdrift chry- MJMtheinunui ami pink bountiful f|js«* wvd a gurlanil of smilax grounding the cake was with the same flowers. ,in£ far the occasion i iMr*, Raymond Pnrton Jr., IfW, C N. Koch, Mr*. Robert ftuU. Mr*. Jauws l^avoll, Mrs. Cravens, Mrs. Lenus Kaus and Mrs. Frank Wetstein. In charge of gifts were Mrs. Robert Cox, Miss Judith Ann Clark, Miss Janice Jun and Miss Kathleen Thompson. After a honeymoon, Mr. and Mrs. Pullen will reside in their new home on Woodland avenue. Rosewood Heights. They are Alton High School graduates. The bridegroom, who served with the Marine Corps three years, is employed in the meat department of Tri- City Grocery Co., Wilshire Village. Mrs. Pullen is an em- ploye of Alton Box Board Co., in the straw purchasing department. She is a past worthy advisor, Alton Assembly, 8, Order of Rainbow for Girls. Miss Gschwend, Fiance Are Honoreen Miss Mary Ann Gschwend and her fiance, John W. Shan- sey, were guests of honor Saturday evening at a buffet dinner in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Edmund Morrissey, Belmont Village, Godfrey, and they were showered \yith gifts of a miscellaneous nature by some 18 couples in attendance. The decorative motif used for the occasion, was entirely in pink and white, and included a large centerpiece of white, chrysanthemums on the serving table with two wedding bells, each containing pink carnations. Centering the dining tables were individual candles surrounded by pink and white baby chrysanthemums. Saturday, Sept. 29, is the day chosen by the betrothed pair for their wedding. Miss Langham IB Wed In Oklahoma Married in the new post ch dp- el at Ft. Sill, Lawton, Okla., was Miss Judy Ann Langham, daughter of former Wood River residents, Capt. and Mrs. Carl E. Langham of Ft. Sill, who exchanged double ring vows last Friday evening at 7:30 o'clock with Lt. Harold Edward Boozer, USA, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry E. Boozer of Elizabethtown, Pa. Chaplain H. B. Phillips officiated, and the bride's father , was her escort. Miss Shirley Ann Adams served as maid of honor, with the Misses Barbara Jean Langham, Judy Adams, Charlene Brown and Elizabeth Reislng as bridesmaids. Charlotte Mae Langham was flower girl, and Mary E. Langham, the bride's sister, was train bearer. Lt. Thomas J. Sudikatus acted as best man. Ushers were Lt. Douglas Kramer, Lt. Merle Crocker, Lt. Charles Wood and Lt. Robert Little. Acting as ring bearer was William Charles Langham. The bride was gowned in lace and tulle over satin, wearing a Juliet cap with a fingertip veil of tulle and lace. Her gown had scalloped neckline, long sleeves, paneled skirt and chapel train. Miss Adams appeared in a dress of aqua nylon, carrying a cascade of green and white daisies. The bridesmaids, wearing pastel organdy frocks with headpieces of matching carnations, carried white Testaments with streamers. The train bearer was in pink organdy with matching headpiece, and the flower girl's dress of peach organdy was worn with matching headpiece. After the weddirig, a reception was held in Fort Sill Officers' Club. Lt. and Mrs^ Boozer will lion- eyiuuon in Dallas, Tex., and reside at 2615A Ft. Sill, Lawton. The bridegroom js a graduate of Valley Forge Military Academy and Cornell University. Hi* wife attended Lawton High School. In atUuidiuiM at the war- The wedding of Thomas Ossian Nordling, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ossian M. Nordling, 5300 N. Glenwood Blvd., Chicago, and Miss Willa Marie Swinehart, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Willard M. Swinehart, 930 Hawthorne Ave., Wood River, took place Sunday, 2 o'clock, In St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Wood River. The Rev. A. H. Beck officiated at the double ring ceremony, and Mr. Swinehart gave his daughter in marriage. Mrs. Henry Hoppert, organist, played for the processional and recessional, and accompanied Miss Verna Harvey of Neponsite, HI., who sang "Because," "With This Ring" and "The Lord's Prayer." Miss Swinehart entered the church with her father, and was preceded by Miss Janet Suhre of Hamel, HI., maid of honor, and the Misses Judith Thomas and Sally Tisdale of Madison, Wis., bridesmaids. Walking immediately before Mr. Swinehart and his daughter was the flower girl, Beverly Swenson of Chicago, a cousin of the bridegroom. Roger Chisholm, Chicago, was best man, and Raymond Anderson and Bill Nelson, also of Chicago, were groomsmen. Two vases • of white daisies were at the altar, and^ivy was placed on the communion rail. Sprigs of ivy marked the family pesvs. Miss Swinehart wore a white lace gown, over taffeta, styled along princess lines, and a fingertip length veil trimmed with lace which fell from a coronet o£ pearls. She carried a prayer book overlaid with a white orchid. The bridal gown had a Peter Pan collar embroidered with seed pearls, a yoke of illusion, and a full skirt which terminated in a sweep train. Miss Suhre appeared in pale blue, Miss Thomas was in lime green, and Miss Tisdale's dress was of gold. Their frocks of lace and taffeta had full skirts, fitted bodices and V-necklines. The young women wore wide- brimmed hats and long gloves, and carried baskets filled with daisies. A white embroidered organdy frock, encircled with a blue sash, was worn by the flower girl who carried a daisy-filled basket. After the wedding a reception was held in the social room of the church, which was decorated in wedding bells and blue bows. Greenery studded with daisies surrounded the wedding cake. The bride's aunt, Mrs. T. T. Davis, was in charge of the guest book, and the Misses Elberta Whittaker of Laura, 111., and Miss Verna Harvey served refreshments. After a honeymoon in Spread Eagle, Wis., at the bridegroom's summer home, Mr. Nordling and bride will reside at 5301 North Ashland Ave., Chicago, Mr. Nordling is associated with Nordlings' Jewelers, Chicago. He attended North Park High School, Chicago, and svas graduated in June from Bradley University, Peoria, with a B. S. degree in commerce. He is a member of Theta Xi, social fraternity.' The former Miss Swinehart was graduated in 1955 from Madison West High School, Madison, Wis., and was a student at Bradley University, Peoria, for a year, studying home economics. While at Bradley University, she affiliated with Sigma Kappa Sorority. riage service were Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Wilhnuth of Rosewood Heights, Mr. and Mrs. Leo Langham, Mr. and Mrs. IAMXIII Thorp and sons,- Tommy and Ronnie, all of Glendale Gardens. MR. AND MRS. MEHNERT A. FLANDERS JR. (Hlcki Photo) Miss Marilyn Starbuck, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Starbuck, 115 West Watkins St., Hartford, and Mehnert A. Flanders Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Mehnert A. Flanders Sr., 443 Prospect St., Wood River, were married Saturday evening at 8 o'clock in Hartford First Baptist Church before the Rev. J. E. Humerickhouse, who read the double' ring ceremony. The former Miss Starbuck was preceded down the aisle by her matron of honor, Mrs. D. E. Vandevord of East Alton, sister of the bridegroom. Norma Jean Starbuck, sister of the bride, was flower girl. D. E. Vandevord, brother-in- law of the bridegroom, served as best man. Ushers were Bill Starbuck, cousin of the bride, and George Vandevord. Carrying a colonial bouquet of red roses and white chrysanthemums, the bride walked down the aisle with her father, who gave her in marriage. She wore a gown of Chantilly lace and tulle over satin, styled with fitted bodice and lace jacket with long sleeves ending in points at the wrists. The bouffant skirt had lace panels interspersed with tulle extending from the waist to the hemline, with two of the panels extending into a full cathedral length train. Her fingertip veil of French illusion was secured to a tiara of seed pearls and rhinestones. The matron of honor wore a pale blue taffeta gown fashioned with fitted bodice, full skirt and short sleeves. She carried a colonial bouquet of red roses. The flower girl's dress of pale blue taffeta was made with a bow neckline, tight bodice and full skirt and she wore a matching pale blue headpiece. She carried a basket of red roses and white pompons. "Through the Years," "Walk Hand in Hand" and "Wedding Prayer" were sung by David MR! AND MRS. JACK WATKINS (Hicks Photo) : Main Street Methodist Church was the setting Saturday evening, 7:30 o'clock, when Miss Gena Wells, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Georgeff, 1003 Freemoht Ave., Hillsboro, LI., was married to Jack Watkins, son of Mr. and Mrs. Burgess Watkins, 444 Prairie St., Bethalto. White flowers and palms decorated the candle-lighted sanctuary. The Rev. Paul B. Brown, the officiating clergyman, performed the double ring ceremony, and the bride was given in marriage by her grandfather, Lee Massey of Jerseyville. Terry Bonnell was organist, and Jirn Ingram sang "Walk Hand in Hand With Me" and "The Wedding Prayer." Mrs. Vernon Schmidt was matron of honor, and Mrs. Richard .Standefer and Mrs. Jerry Zimmerman, bridesmaids. Pamela Georgeff was flower girl. Bert Watkins was best man, and Dan McCalley and Bill Graville were groomsmen. Edward Georgeff and Dan Miller seated the guests. Miss Wells' gown of Chantilly lace was fashioned with a molded bodice, scalloped scoop neckline,__enhanced by a design of sequins, and long snug sleeves ending in points over the hands. Inserts of tulle accented the voluminous skirt, extended by hoops. Her fingertip veil of French illusion was secured to a plateau encrusted with sequins and seed pearls, and her flowers were white roses and lilies of the valley in a cascade bouquet. The matron of honor and bridesmaids appeared in ballerina length hooped frocks of powder blue, and carried colonial bouquets of daisies. Bod- MR. AND MRS. CHAUNCEY L. LIGHTFOOT (Hicks Photo) The Rev. Oscar Weber of Mineola, N. Y., assisted by the pastor of Main Street Methodist Church, the Rev. Paul Brown, officiated in that church Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, when Miss Marlenc .Morris, daughter of Mrs. Charles E. Morris, 1630 Main St., and the late Mr. Morris, was wed to Chauncey L. Lightfoot. son of Mr. and Mrs. D. B. Lightfoot of Los Angeles, Calif. Double ring vows were read by the Rev Weber, cousin of the bride's mother and pastor of St. Paul's Church in Mineola. In the wedding party were: Miss Elaine Brinkman of Godfrey, maid of honor; Miss Janice Dawsou, former Altonian of Fort Lauderdale, Fia., bridesmaid; James E. Schaefer, 'the bride's cousin, best man; William McCabe, groomsman; LeRoy Kletty and Freeman Davis, ushers; Jamey Lou Franklin, daughter of Mrs. Betty Franklin, flower girl, and Chris ,Zahn, son of Mr. and Mrs. Willard Zahn, ring bearer. The bride, walking down the aisle alone, carried a cascade vocal number as the couple was kneeling at the altar. On the altar was a large bouquet of white chrysanthemums, stock and gladioli. Palms also decorated the sanctuary, which was lighted by candles. Immediately followinR the service, a reception svas held in the dining hall of the church. The serving table, which had a punch bowl at each end, was centered with a four-tier cake encircled with smilax and split carnations, flanked by candles. Serving were Mrs. Hillary I-Iallett, Miss Grace DeFoe, Mrs. Stanley Da IT and Miss Leona June Brown. In charge ot giits were Miss Carol Stillwell and Mrs. Reid Childers, and Jiliss Wilma Linton was at the guest book. After a trip through Wisconsin and Southern Canada, the newly married pair will reside in an apartment at 406 South Market St., Marion, 111. The bridegroom, a graduate of Carrier Mills Community High School, attended Shurtleff College and Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. He is Mourning, soloist, of Wood River. Miss Carolyn Jacoby, former classmate of the bride, was organist. Her selections included "Claire de Lune," "Melody of Love" and "Lieb- estraum." The sanctuary was decorated with ferns and a basket of white gladioli and lighted candles in candelabra. Immediately following the wedding, a reception was held in Hartford Civic League building. Centering the serving table was a three tier wedding cake decorated with pink roses and a miniature bride and groom. Serving guests were: Miss Dorris Motley, Miss Emma Ellen Ebbeler, Miss Dorothy Starbuck, Mrs. George Vandevord and Mrs. J. Reichman. The newlywed couple will return from a brief honeymoon to reside in Urbana, 111. The bridegroom, a graduate of East Alton-Wood River Community High School, class of 1948, attended Shurtleff College two years. He is employed by the city of Wood River. Mrs. Flanders was graduated from the same high school in 1950. ices of the frocks had capped » pr i nce ss lines, crystalette bodices, tulle shrug jackets and bouffant skirts with large back bows, and worn with matching hairbraid coronets. Miss Brinkman was outfitted in shrimp color, and Miss Dawson's attire was mint green in color. The flower girl dropped rose- petals down the aisle from a white basket. Her white frock had shirred yoke, fitted bodice and layers of ruffled tulle in the skirt. Leslie Peart was organist, playing while the guests assembled, and "Clair de Lune" during the ceremony. Mrs. Gerald Steffen saing "Always," "Through the Years" and "Wedding Prayer," this last of white split carnations ^nd emp i 0 y ed as a laboratory tech- stephanotis. A half-hat of Chantilly lace, sequins and pearls held her fingertip illusion veil. Her gown featured a long- sleeved bodice of white imported Chantilly lace, round neckline edged with, appliqued lace and seed pearls and a floor length skirt of nylon tulle ruffles cascading over satin and hoops accented with a front lace panel from waistline to floor. Holding cascade bouquets of pale yellow carnations and ivy, the bride's attendants appeared in gowns of crystalette combined with nylon tulle over taffeta, identically styled with sleeves and scoop necklines. The flower girl, who carried a basket filled with daisy petals, appeared in a dress similar to that of the attendants' gowns. Following the riuptials a reception was held in the social room of the church. Mrs. Orville Rink, Mrs. Dean Denby, Mrs. Harold Blacklock anft Mrs. Robert Innis sewed; Miss Beverlee Thomas was in charge of the - guest book, and Mrs. Paul Motzer was at the gift table. Following a honeymoon in Florida, Mr. and Mrs. Watkins will reside at 1642 Main St. Mr. Watkins, graduate of Civic Memorial High School, Bethalto, is employed at Smith Funeral Home. His bride, graduate of Granite City Community High School and Alton Memorial Hospital School of Nursing, is on the staff of Alton Memorial Hospital. nician by Alton State Hospital. His wife was graduate from Alton High School, and from Shurtleff College in 1955. She attended graduate school of social svork at Washington University,, St. Louis, and is employed as a child welfare worker by the Carbondale regional office, State Department of Public Welfare. Mrs. Lightfoot was elected to "Who's Who Among American College and University Students" during her school years, and belonged to Alpha Psi Omega at Shurtleff. A party concluding pre-nuptial festivities in honor of the former Miss Morris was given last Friday evening by Mrs. Reid Childers, who entertained in the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Tate, 1222 Main St. The honoree was showered with gifts; game prizes went to Mrs. Hillary Hallet, Mrs. James Zimmerman and the guest of honor; a pink and white motif was carried out in decorations, and Mrs. Childers served refreshments, assisted by her sisters. Marci* Madison Weds fames Todd Saturday Miss Marcia Lavonne Madison, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Madison of Bethalto, became the bride of James C. Todd of Wood River, son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Todd of Mt. Vernon, Saturday evening at 8 o'clock in Bethalto Baptist Church. The Rev. Paul Hall read the double ring ceremony. Miss Jeanne Richards, cousin of the bride, was her sole attendant. Brother of the bridegroom, Alfred Todd of Mt, Vernon, served as best man. Sally Ann Hull, nfece of the bridegroom, was flower girl. Edwin Ray, cousin of the bride, carried the rings nnd lighted tapers In the two sets of seven branch, candelabra, which with palms, carnations and white gladioli, decorated the sanctuary. The bride entered the church with her father dressed in a gown of white net over satin fashioned with a boat neckline, buttons down the back and tiny lace sleeves. The skirt, worn over hoops, was chapel length with panels of lace inset all around. She wore lace mitts a tiara of tiny pearl flowers. Her bouquet was a white orchid surrounded by white roses. Miss Richards wore a gown of blue lace over satin with a full skirt, . lace bolero and matching mitts. Her half-hat was in blue, and she carried a bouquet of blue and white carnations. The flower girl was dressed in a pink nylon gown with « full ruffled skirt. She wor« pink floweis in her hair, and carried a basket of varicolored chrysanthemums. Miss P>a Sawyer served as pianist and accompanied Robert Howard, who sang. A reception was held Immediately following the ceremony at the Bethalto Pavilion. Th* Misses Jacquie Hall and Ginger Rogers served and Miss Betty Walden was in charge of th« guest book. Mrs. Arnold Sanders and Mrs. Arnold Sanderi Jr., presided over the gift table. The bridegroom, who attended Mt. Vernon schools, is employed by Laclede Steel Co. His bride is a graduate of Civio Memorial High School, Bethalto. After a wedding trip in th« Ozarks, the, couple will reside at 446 East Seventh St. Michael David Waggoner Christened Sunday Michael David, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bob Waggoner, 711 Washington Ave., was christened Sunday morning following 9:30 o'clock services in St. Paul's Episcopal Church by the Rev. John M. Young. Serving as his god-mather was Miss Laura Baker, with James Waggoner, the baby's uncle, as god-father. Also a god-father is a A.3C Lawrence Smith, another uncle, now stationed at Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, who was represented by his younger brother, Robert Smith. Mr. and Mrs. George J. Smith, maternal grandparents of Michael David, entertained with dinner in their home, 1510 Main St., after the christening ceremony. Among these present were the. honoree's paternal grandmother, Mrs. Kenneth Waggoner, Mr. and Mrs. James Waggoner and son, Mark, all of New Florence, Mo. All the members of the Waggoner family in Alton Sunday went to St. Louis during the evening to attend baccalaureate services when Miss Marilyn Waggoner, daughter of Mrs. Kenneth Waggoner, was graduated from Missouri Baptist School of Nursing. Lodges Sigma Tun Sub-Deb* Meet Tonight Sigma' Tau Sub-Debs-meet Carlin Rebekah Lodge 248 has tonight at 7^30 o'clock in the scheduled a degree staff prac- home of Miss Ann Wardein, tice tonight at 7:30 o'clock at 1024 Diamond St., to conclude 2518 State St. • plans for a forthcoming party. YOUR KEY TO 23S6 SUte ttttt it 3-8611 BUU) at Bell* Fwfac< pUkrar Mcurtty OOBM only oftar •ctondftc taunawtog by *• •schuto SteriUow proceM. It clean* every feather. MIOOVM all din and p*raplranon br live •team at 315 deoM«e. Each toothcr'a downy curl to re»lored to uiak« UM pillow* •or) and buoyant TtMu lh» iwwwwd leather* ai» blown into tb» Mparately waibad .Hcfcina. • Laundirtrs • Dry Cliiniri • Rue Clianirs Fre« Pick-Up and Delivery Strvlct 909 EAST BROADWAY DIAL 3-8877 MODEST PRIDES! Predttion repair* and cleaning by our skilled jeweler*. Fast, efficient service. • Jtwtlry Rtpairing W* Give Eagto Stamps Belle St. Dial 8-S722 Charge Account* Welcome BEAUTY SALON Second Floor Balcony A'u Conditioned I'HONK yes! we're experts it (he lew short coils ... cropping up on the prettiest head* in town... as manageable as they are flattering! You'll like the face-framing toftmtt, the, brush able, ca*ual curie! 8H«*T COW 5. Your Charge • Anointment Not Alwtt>» COMriJCTB Neoewuury Account \

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free