The Honolulu Advertiser from Honolulu, Hawaii on August 1, 1976 · 25
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

The Honolulu Advertiser from Honolulu, Hawaii · 25

Honolulu, Hawaii
Issue Date:
Sunday, August 1, 1976
Start Free Trial

A-24 Honolulu, August 1,1974 The Sunday Star-Bulletin & Advertiser Air .here is William Bradford Bishop? By DONALD P. BAKER V jtrunftna Pot Service WASHINGTON - Having received no response from its registered letter ordering him to return to work, lhe U.S. Department of State, in the emotionless manner of a huge bureaucracy, is preparing to terminate the career of missing foreign service officer William Bradford Bishop Jr. Bishop, who is sought for the murders of his mother, wife and three sons, walked out of his office in room 3531-A about 4 45 p.m. on Monday, March 1, complaining of a cold. Now. five months later, the once- promising diplomatic career of Bishop is about to be officially closed. What remains open is: whatever happened to Brad Bishop? Brad Bishop's 40th birthday, if he is still alive, is today. Investigators admit they have not a single clue to his whereabouts. Bishop has been charged formally with the murder of his mother, Lobelia, 68; his wife, Annette, 37, and his sons, Brad III, 14. Brent, 10 (who would have been 11 July 30) and Geoffrey, 5. ; AFTER FIVE MONTHS of scrutiny, police have no more motive for the mass killings than they did the iday the bodies were discovered in a fiery grave in a North Carolina wamp. There is no evidence of infidelity, or financial problems or job worries. The one hint of a rational explanation is that it was the act of an irrational person. Investigators now know that unbeknownest to his closest friends and associates Bishop had been seen at least three different psychiatrists in recent years. The "working assumption" at the State Department is that Bishop is alive, and out of the country. A Yale graduate with two master's degrees (in Italian from Middlebury and African Studies from UCLA), Bishop held diplomatic posts in Italy, Ethiopia and Botswana. He speaks Italian and Serbo-Croatian fluently. Bishop, who held the rank of foreign service officer-4, at a salary of $25,962, was assistant chief of the Special Trade Activities Office of the State Department's economic and business section. That position was filled about a month after his disappearance. His pay was stopped im mediately. Until the formality of sending him notification that he was being fired for being absent without leave a couple weeks ago, he had been listed in "over-complement status." This is jargon meaning that a spot was being held open for him should he return. THE ONGOING SEARCH for Bishop is the responsibility of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, but George Quinn, agent in charge of the FBI office in Baltimore, admits that "We don't have a thing." The last confirmed contact with Bishop occurred March 2, when he used his Bankamericard to buy $15.50 worth of sporting goods in Jacksonville, N.C., about 100 miles south of Tyrell County, N.C., where the bodies were discovered earlier that day. "There is no question he was in Jacksonville that day," Quinn said. Investigators said it was the only known use of the credit card by Bishop, who had no other credit cards. There have been literally thousands of reported sightings of Bishop in the intervening months, throughout the U.S. and Canada, and abroad. One of the more recent leads concerned a so-called wig bandit, resembling Bishop, who held up nine small savings and loan associations in the San Francisco Bay area. That prospect fizzled with the arrest of a suspect on July 16 who, Quinn pointed out wryly, "was not identical to Bishop." The Immigration and Naturalization Service has been alerted to watch for use of Bishop's passport, but none has been noted. Quinn believes it would be more difficult to travel abroad on Bishop's diplomatic passport than on a normal one "because when a diplomat makes an unscheduled appearance in a foreign country, the host government will wonder what he's doing there." OFFICIALS WHO have scrutinized Bishop's personnel files at the State Department in search of clues say that, in retrospect, there are bits and pieces of information that could raise previously unthought of questions about Bishop. The State Department apparently had no record of Bishop's psychiatric history. Investigators have learn ed that Bishop first consulted a psychiatrist in California, apparently while studying at UCLA In 1970-71. Before going to Botswana later that year, he saw a medical doctor in Washington, complaining of physical pain. That physician diagnosed the problem as psychosomatic, and referred him to a second psychiatrist, according to the FBI. While he was in Africa, Bishop continued to complain of back pains, apparently without telling anyone about his earlier visits to psychiatrists, according to the FBI. Upon his return to Washington in 1974, he began seeing a third psychiatrist. That doctor, who has since Haywood Starling, director of North Carolina's State Bureau of Investigation, told Associated Press editors in that state last month that Bishop "is probably deceased back there where his car was found." STARLING SPECULATED that Bishop "in his apparent state of mind could have wandered off and shot himself somewhere. With the wild boars and other animals in those woods, he'd never be found. " Another popular theory is that Bishop was killed by one of the 500 bears that roam the half-million-acre park. Dick Moeller, chief ranger, said that while "anything is Case of the missing diplomat and 5 murders remain unsolved given up private practice and returned to military service, told a reporter he would neither confirm nor deny treating Bishop, saying "If he turns up, he could sue me" for violating a doctor-patient relationship. BEFORE BISHOP disappeared, that third psychiatrist had prescribed the drug Serax to treat symptoms of depression and insomnia. A quantity of Serax was found in the glove compartment of Bishop's rust-colored 1974 Chevrolet station wagon, which was recovered March 18 at a resort campsite deep in the Great Smoky National Park. The FBI circulated information about Bishop to a large number of pharmacies, on the assumption that he might try to have the prescription refilled, but again, without results. With the discovery of the station wagon, which contained a bloodstained blanket, an ax and a shotgun, a massive search of the park followed, by air and on foot. Except for some early false reports, there was no trace of Bishop, or the family's golden retriever, Leo, which also remains missing. "That car and that location has been the end of the trail," said Quinn. "When he stepped outside that car, he left no indication of the direction he went." possible," there is no known substantiation of a bear ever attacking a human" in the park. He said, however, that bears have been known to eat a dead body. Quinn said that from what FBI investigators have learned about Bishop, he believes that "he's capable of surviving outdoors for long periods of time." But Quinn thinks it's more likely Bishop would be hiding in the mountains of his native California, so the FBI is canvassing park visitors in that state also. Quinn also has "a strong personal feeling that he's dead," but added that "hunches are a luxury we don't indulge in. We must assume he's alive, in the absence of any indication that he's dead." Maj. Wayne G. Brown, director of the Montgomery County, Md., police's criminal investigation division, is one of the investigators who believes that "he's around." Brown said that "the most traumatic time would have been when the bodies were set afire. If you can take that, there's no need to do yourself in after that point." ANOTHER THEORY is that Bishop also was a victim of the mass murders, and that his body was dumped in a different location. Police repeatedly have said that Bishop is "our only suspect." It was learned that police discarded the possibility that Bishop also was slain in the house when they failed to find any of his blood type among the stains throughout the house. Investigators have concluded that the first victim was Annette Bishop, who was slain in the den of the split-level home. They theorize that Bishop's mother, Lobelia, returned from walking the family dog and surprised the killer, who hurriedly placed one of Brad Bishop's jackets over Annette's body. After the two women were fatally bludgeoned, the three boys, who were clad in their pajamas and apparently asleep in upstairs bedrooms, were then killed with powerful blows to their heads. The victims' bodies were discovered about noon on March 2, by a forest ranger who thought their flaming bodies were the start of a forest fire. It was almost a week before police connected the charred bodies from the North Carolina swamp to the Bishop family. THE KILLINGS went undetected until March 8 because neighbors in the Carderock Springs section of Be-thesda, Md., thought the family had taken a late spring ski vacation, and Bishop's co-workers at the State Department thought he was at home with a cold. Finally, a worried neighbor called Montgomery County police and said that the boys had not shown up for school and that she had not seen any family member for 10 days. A county police officer recalled reading a news story about five bodies being found in North Carolina, and called that state's FBI. Within a few hours, as North Caroline Attorney General Rufus Ed mis-ten recalled, "Suddenly, everything fell into place." It later was learned that after he left his office March 1, saying he was sick, Bishop drove to a shopping center where he bought a five-gallon gasoline can and had it filled at the Texaco station there. The news of the killings turned the Bishop family's normally quiet neighborhood into a beehive of activity, with police, reporters and sightseers prowling the snow-covered grounds outside the Bishop house. SINCE THAT FIRST shock wave hit Carderock Springs, a teen-age neighbor of the Bishop's, Robert An-gell, has been charged with killing two police officers while fleeing from a bank robbery, and at least three of the $100,000-and-up contemporary homes have been burglarized. One neighbor, who sells real estate, pleaded with a reporter last week to "leave us alone. Every other car that comes by here slows down and asks, 'which house is Bishops?' It's a strain on our children, and besides that, it's hurting property values." The trees have obscured a view of the Bishop house, which sits vacant and, as a result of an auction last month, empty of furnishings. The once-tidy lawn is turning to weeds, and an untrimmed willow blocks the path to the red front door, beneath which police have chipped away six bricks to obtain blood samples. A note attached to the door reports that water service to the house was disconnected on June 26 for nonpayment of a past due bill of $104.92. The events that occurred inside the house on the night of March 1 remain a mystery, but the investigation goes on. "We never lose our enthusiasms for sightings." said the FBI's Quinn, who encourages publicity about the killings. "It's through sightings that we're going to find him. The bureau's hallmark is persistency. It took two years to find Patty Hearst. One day we'll get a call, and go to a location, and there will be William Bradford Bishop." Lebanese triplets Israeli doctors aid SAFED, Israel (UP I) A Lebanese woman who was rushed across the Israeli border in the middle of the night gave birth to triplets in the government hospital yesterday, military sources said. Her name and home village were not released for fear of retribution by Palestinian guerrillas who have been urging Lebanese villagers to spurn Israel's offer of medical assistance, work and shopping opportunities south of the border. Soviet Christians get support in Congress Thia Ad Effective Sunday Thru Tuesday l By JANIS JOHNSON W aahington Post Service '. WASHINGTON Strong support is mounting in fhe House for what is believed to be the first attempt to put Congress on record against reported persecution on Christians in the Soviet Union. Rep. John Buchanan, R-Ala., said he has 103 cosponsors in the House, including most of the leadership, for his resolution calling on the Soviet Government to allow Christians and other religious believers to "worship God freely according to their own conscience." The resolution also asks for the release from prison of Georgi Vins, secretary of an "illegal" Baptist group. His case has become something of a cause celebre among churches in the western world. "There has been a good bit of public attention on Soviet Jews, intellectual and political dissidents, but there is more repression than is generally realized against Christian religious expression," said Buchanan, who is a Southern Baptist minister. "I BELIEVE THIS is the first time Congress has considered a resolution naming Christians, and I believe evangelical Christians would be second only to Jews in the trouble they have with the government," he added. In two days of hearings on the resolution in June, 14 witnesses asked Congress to end its silence and forcefully protest the alleged persecution. , , j j , . A concurrent resolution has been introduced in the Senate by Sens. Henry Jackson, D-Wash., Hubert Humphrey, D-Minn., Clifford Case, R-N.J., and Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, but no Senate hearings have been held. : If passed, the resolution would only express the "sense of Congress" and would not involve any legal sanction against the Soviet Union. Buchanan, however, believes it could put "pressure" on the Soviet Government and raise U.S. public interest in Vins' case. - IN THEORY, Soviet citizens have a constitutional right to freedom of religion. In fact, however, evangelism is prohibited, all churches must bo registered with the government, no new churches are allowed and informers are in each congregation, according to numerous accounts. - Common western estimates are that, despite state-sponsored atheism, the Soviet Union's 225 million people still include at least 30 million Russian Orthodox believers, four million practicing Roman Catholics and a million Jews. ' Vins' tribulations began in 1960 after a government crackdown on the 535,000-member All-Union Council of Evangelical Christians and Baptists, the largest organization of Soviet Protestants. Vins and others were convinced their organization had become the tool of the atheistic government and formed their own unauthorized church council. He has been in prison twice, first in 1966, after a demonstration by his group, the Council of Churches of Evangelical Christians and Baptists, outside the Central Committee headquarters in Moscow. He was sentenced to three years at hard labor and left prison in bad health. In 1970, HE WENT underground to carry on his clerical work. He was arrested again in 1973. He has been sentenced to five years in prison and five years in exile for "harming the interests of Soviet citizens under a pretext of carrying out religious activity." Soviet authorities rejected the offer of the World Council of Churches in Geneva to send a foreign lawyer to represent Vins at the trial and rejected applications by western observers to attend, f He is reportedly in poor health, yet forced to put in 10 hours of hard labor a day in a Siberian prison camp. Left at home in Kiev are his mother, wife and five children. Most of their furniture was confiscated by the government. At the hearings before the House subcommittee on international political and military affairs and international organizations on June 24 and 30, the 14 witnesses said Vins' plight is not an isolated case. They provided extensive descriptions of Soviet religious repression. The main victims are the Russian Orthodox Church, the Baptist dissidents, Lithuanian Catholics, Ukrainian Greek Catholics, Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh-Day Adventists, Pentecostals, the Georgian Orthodox Church and Jews, according to Bohdan R. Bociurkiw, a specialist in Soviet religion at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada. WILSON DEL PIZZO, M.D. Wishes to onnounce his ossocialion with The Honolulu Medical Group, Inc. 550 South Beretania Street Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 Proctice Limited to Orthopedic Surgery Hours by Appointment Telephone Number 537-2211 fat... dial 521-9111 . OrVnGRS flMD CWmS rlMD STEWS fT" especially fieco choke mm ' I ( DGOriDOOrlGa 1050r1WfTOrWIM.' .591-5681 I c , Spars nOfT 1 1 .i if i mm ul '1 j'.V!h A h; ,U !s M i f , : it 'M mm 1 Hi j Hi m figSS ... ' Hss5 Weatherly Kitchen Wood Cabinets Sink, Counter-top at Sears Regular Prices Now is the time to start your new kitchen while these handsome Weatherly wood cabinets are on sale. Wood-front doors and drawers have self-closing feature. Beautifully finished in pecan-color. NOW STOCKED LOCALLY IN HAWAII No Long Delay in Remodeling Your Kitchen Do-It Yoursrlf Cabinet Available in Less Than 4 f') Day After Approved Purchase Assembled Cabinets Available in Less Than 5 Days Alter Approved Purchase Most Installed Assembled Cabinets Available in Less Than 2 Weeks After Approved Purchase Use Sears Modernizing Credit Plan 6654 SAVE $14.98! Vz HP Disposer 5997 Sparkling Buy... Built-in Automatic Dishwasher Regular S84.95 Sears Regular Q Low Price v 239 Sound-insulated stainless steel grinding chamber, quick-mount collar. Standard replacement-size Kenmore has normal wash cycle, built-in pulverizer, no pre-rinsing needed. Does a day's dishes for a family of 4. White only. 46101 Kenmore Economy Compactor 199 Packs up to 15 sacks of home refuse into one neat bag for disposal. White only. Regular $ Price Let Seara Arrange Installation of AU Your Home Improvement Needs W ith Licensed Contractor, C-4283 At Additional Cost ALAMOAN A PEARLRIDGE Adverllwd It. Normally Carried In J Sears Var Kanrnhr Slor Ar Aailahlr 947-0265 487-4263 KANEOHE 233-3677 SFARS, ROFRIIfK AND CO i 8

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 21,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra® Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the The Honolulu Advertiser
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free