Greeley Daily Tribune from Greeley, Colorado on March 11, 1976 · Page 30
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Greeley Daily Tribune from Greeley, Colorado · Page 30

Greeley, Colorado
Issue Date:
Thursday, March 11, 1976
Page 30
Start Free Trial

GRKKLEY (Colo.) TRIBUNE Monfnrt Packing Co., located in North Grccley, is the state's largest meat packer, handling mostly cattle fed in the Monford Feet Lots and sheep fattened in the area by other feeders. Monfort of Colorado, parent organization of both Sfafe's largest meat packer firms, reported earnings in its last fiscal year of $9.44 million, compared with a multi-million dollar loss the preceding year. Monfort of Colorado, with its various divisions, employes 2,300 persons. The plant was built in the late 1950s and occupied just the brick portion at extreme left. Additional space lias been added over the years as storage and processing has expanded. (Tribune photo by Paul Moloney) sears and componu History of Weld towns differ VISIT OUR DISPLAY at the Garden · Home Recreation Show March 12-13-14 Island Grove fork THE Mosi"CENTS"IBLE" W A V I0 S A V f 818 12th St. 356-7700 Realtors Stop In At Our Booth At The N. COLORADO GARDEN, HOME RECREATION SHOW / We'll have information about our new housing developments: Glenn Meadow and Carriage Estates Also Westridge Building Sites Continued from page 29 the townsite board and a real estate office was established. Hines moved his store to the town site. P. L. Hudson opened a rooming house in a large tent; Miller and Fairchild started a cement block and brick factory in 1909 and in 1910 a bank building and another store were built and the school was brought into town from a country location. Growth of the town was gradual and it served as a center for the grain industry for many years. Later it became a center for the early potato industry. Although Platteville wasn't established until 1871, it was near the settlement of St. Vrain which was established in I860 and was the original county seat. When the railroad from Evans to Denver was completed, a siding was laid out two miles south of the present town. It was called Johnstown Station by the railroad. S. Vrain had the first post office and first postmaster was Andrew Lumry. When Lumry built his ranch house, he built another smaller building a short distance away. This building was used for a storehouse, and extra sleeping 353-4445 50th Ave. 20th St. Highland Nurseries.^ GARDEN SHOW SPECIALS Offers Good Friday, Saturday and Monday $ 1.00 off on Fertilizer Crab Grass Preventor LAWN FERTILIZER ,,.,,,,« DACTHAL HERBICIDE Cash and Carry 20 % off on Indoor House Plants See Our Gardens at The Garden, Home and Recreation Show -STOP AT OUR BOOTH room for travelers and finally it was used for meetings of the county commissioners and court officials, making it the first courthouse in the county. The log building still stands at the reconstructed site of Fort Vasquez, where it was moved. While the Lumry home was being completed, there was an Indian scare and all of the settlers went to Fort Vasquez The settlers remained at the fort for three days until troops from Denver chased the Indians away. Platteville was surveyed and platted on July 17, 1871, by the Plalle Land Co. B. F. Johnson was president of the townsite company and Gen. John Pierce and W. N. Byers were principals in the firm. Lots were auctioned in New York City and Chicago to attract settlers to the area. After the town was started, the railroad station was moved from Johnson Station to Platteville. Nate Dearborn was the first postmaster and the post office was located in the hotel which burned in 1913. Another hotel, the Moffitt, which was built in 1872, burned in 1914. Founded as a temperance town, Piatteville was dry until the "wets" gained control in 1889, after the town had been incorporated in 1887. In 1887, the county commissioners had refused (o grant a liquor license in Platteville as they had in all of the other Weld County towns. Following the election, the town sold a liquor license to a man named Kennedy of Brighton for a fee of $2,400. Fort Lupton was surveyed in 1881 by L. P. Drake and the plat was filed with the county clerk on June 1C, 1882. A railroad station had been set up there in 1870. The site of the town was near the original Ft. Lancaster, later renamed Ft. Lupton. The original fort was set up in 1836 after Lt. Lancaster Lupton resigned from the U.S. Army to come to Colorado to set up a fur trade. Lupton had been a member of Col. Henry Dodge's Dragoons which had visited the area east of the Rocky Mountains in 1835. At the time Lupton established his trading center, 'only nomadic traders and several tribes of Indians inhabited the area. In 1845, Lupton moved on to the settlement of Hardscrabble on the Arkansas River and later to the gold fields of California. Ills fort became a stopping place for stagecoaches and wagon trains bringing in gold seekers in 1859. Many of the settlers around Ft. Lupton lived at the fort as protection from the Indians as late as 1868; however the fort had begun to deteriorate and other forts offered more protection. When the railroad passed through (he area in 1870, the station was built and the town began to grow around it. W. G. Winbournc had the town surveyed and platted. When the town was established, the townsite company offered free lots to anybody who would build a house and an acre of land to anyone who would build a hotel, blacksmith shop or saloon. The Winbourne Hotel was built in 1883 and John Farrar established the newspaper, the Fort Lupton Press, in 1888. Soon a sugar factory and two canning plants were located in Fort Lupton. Eaton, which was founded in the 1880s, was named for Benjamin H. Eaton after he began work on the Larimer and Weld Irrigation project. First coming to Colorado in 1859, Eaton settled on the Poudre River just south of the present site of Windsor in 1863 with his partner James Hill. By carefully managing profits from his farming and ranching interests, Eaton was able to buy railroad land along the proposed line of the Larimer and Weld ditch which he had surveyed in 1877. Digging was well under way in 1879 and the first settlers at the present site of Eaton were the ditch workers who lived in tents. In the July 13,1881, edition of the Greeley Tribune it was Continued on page 31 WHEEL 2 E S T A T E TRUCK CAMPER or MOTOR HOME TAKE YOUR HOME WITH YOU ON YOUR NEXT VACATION SEE US I for the best selection of Motor Homes in I Northern Colorado-Including: CHAMPION CONCORD Full size molor homes, choose from over 16 models with lengths from 20 to 31 ft. -V WOODSMAN "FLAGSHIP" 4 WHEEL DRIVE MOTOR HOMES The go anywhere motor home. -.':· ELDORADO MINI HOME Homes In 7 models from 18Vj ft. to 22 ft. "THINK OF THIS" | · We ar» the holder of CHAMPION'S TOP "10' DEALER AWARD. | · We are fully qualified to service every part of each motor home we sell. · We have Bank Financing available with up lo 10 YEARS TO PAY. I · WE OFFER TOP TRADE ALLOWANCES ON CARS, TRUCKS, TRAILERS OR USED MOTOR HOMES. HITT GRAHAM r DODGE MOST CENTS-ISLE DEALS 352-7246 1 W 1 0 T H i T . G R E E L E Y 2508 6th Avenue Greeley, Colo. 356-9000 Colorado's Building Materials Centers LUMBER HARDWARE CO., INC. Denver · Pueblo · Greeley · Longmont There is no substitute for *ood - don't sellle for any- Ihing less! Economy Lumber Is Proud To Offer Conner Kitchen Cabinets. See Our Display At The Home and Garden Show March 12, 13 14 | See Our Insert In Tonight's Paper |

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 9,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free