Greeley Daily Tribune from Greeley, Colorado on March 9, 1976 · Page 52
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Greeley Daily Tribune from Greeley, Colorado · Page 52

Publication:
Location:
Greeley, Colorado
Issue Date:
Tuesday, March 9, 1976
Page:
Page 52
Start Free Trial
Cancel

4-B UKKKUiY (Cob.) TRIBUNE Tim., Mar. 9, 1976 Rrst "school 1 in house Fine education goal of Union Colonists FIRST SCHOOL -- This was the first building in Union Colony used exclusively for education. Called the Meeker School after Union Colony founder Nathan C. Meeker, it wasthefirstofthreeMeekerschoolsto be built in Greeley. Only one, » new elementary school at 2221 28th Ave, opened only last fall, remains. This building was started in 1871, but due to fund shortage was not completed until 1875. This photo v.-as taken in December 1873. (Photo courtesy of Municipal Museum) By RON STEWART Tribune Stiff Writer Though it now operates with an annual $15 million budget, includes 21 school buildings, and employes close to 1,200 persons, Greeley's school system had its humble beginnings. Settlers in Union Colony decided early t h a t good education would be a goal of the community. Good schools, in fact, were among the things to be established in the new colony, Nathan C. Meeker said in his call for colonists. Shortly after the colony was founded, a school was begun in a frame house on 9th Street. According to a 1902 edition of the Tribune, the house was located about two blocks west of Lincoln Park. "Here young pioneers were taught the three Rs by a Mrs. Guinney," according to the article. There were 54 students enrolled. It wasn't until three years later thai Greeley's first school building was under construction. It was a majestic building to be named after Union Colony founder Nathan C. Meeker. No longer here -- it was razed in 1922 -- the building was 22 charter members Nazarene Church organized 1907 located where Greeley Community Building now stands. Excavating began in 1871; the building was started in 1873, and it was completed in 1875. Cost of Greeley's first school building: {30,000. The building was the pride of all early Greeley residents. For one thing, it was the first building to be erected solely for purposes of education. For another, it was beautiful. It's ominous bell tower loomed above the building's four floors, reflecting, as in one early photograph, in the now-gone lake In Lincoln Park. The building was partially funded with money from lots held in reserve when the Union Colony was founded. According to a story in (he April 12, 1871, edition of the Tribune: "According to the original Constitution or compact of the Union Colony, a certain portion of town lots were to be held in reserve, to be sold after the settlement of the town, at advanced prices, the proceeds from which were to be devoted to educational purposes. A year having expired, lots which have been held in reserve are now to be sold at from 1100 to $150 each; they lie, for the most part on each side of the Railroad, and as many of them are business lots, an opportunity is presented for those wishing such to get them... the sum realized which is to be paid in five days, is to be used for building a Graded School House, which it is expected will cost not less than $10,000. "Those who understand the growth of the towns must see that the erection of such a building will immediately double (he value of the lots now to be sold, besides, all other real estate will be increased in value; 'he town itself will receive new life, and business and every kind of industry will be doubly sustained." The writer was incorrect in saying the building would cost "not less than 110,000;" it ended costing three times that. Funds, in fact, ran low, and building of the school was suspended for a time. According to an article in the Oct. 10, 1930, Tribune, heavy taxes for school building were assessed for several years. The legislature finally passed a law enabling school districts to issue bonds for erection of schools houses, and such bonds, valuing $15,000, were issued in Greeley at that time. Remus Robinson was (he school's first principal. He had come to Greeley shortly before the erection of the school building. He was succeeded as principal in 1875 by F. J. Annis. He served until 1878; W. C. Thomas was principal in 187980, and was followed for two years by Robert Casey. Under Thomas, the schools were graded and a complete course of study was printed fur guidance of teachers. One of the school's first students was Mrs. Jessie Dresser Page, who later was a teacher. For the Tribune, she recounted in 1930 what life was like in that first Greeley school building. "It was soon after moving into the Meeker building, or possibly before, that Remus Hobinson took charge of our schools," Mrs. Page recalled in 1930. "He was a portly gentleman of somewhat pompous carriage who declared that 'elocution was the pic of an education,' and he was some pie cater. "He was really an excellent public reader and taught the subject well. I remember when Jennie La Grange had the lemi-rily lo question his judgment of reading a poem. He maintained that the dead would talk In a monotone. Jennie maintained that because you were dead was no reason for changing your conversational methods. Of course, Jennie out-talked the gentleman, who sulked for the remainder of the recitation," she wrote. Other schools were soon lo be built in Greeley, outlying Ihe first Meeker school which was razed in 1922. A second Meeker school was lo come, and then a Ihird. Only the last still stands, the N a t h a n C. Meeker Elementary School at 2221 28th Ave, which opened last autumn. In 1620, when the Mayflower landed in America, a new flag was used for the colonies. King James I took the Cross of St. George and superimposed it onlo Ihe Scottish flag of St. Andrew and called II Ihe KING COLORS. For U.S. Flags and Colorado Flags in most sizes. Bicentennial Flags, Flag Poles, Accessories Greeley Tent Awning Co. The First Church of the Nazarene was organized Jan. 27, 1907, following a series of meetings held by the Rev. A. D. Buck and the Rev. L. E. Burger. Over the first year the church had 22 charter members and 32 new members were added. The group first worshiped in Steel's Hall and Hurlbut Hall ar.d then in a tent on 7th Street. After the tent and all the contents burned, services were held in the Electric Theater on 8th Avenue until Jan. 20, 1908, when a cement block church was built, on Ihe 7th Street location. In December of 1913 property was purchased at 9th Street and llth Avenue by Rev. Burger. Broadview Park began in home Become one of our regulars! Beautiful hair makes you feel good all over. LaVeta's Styling Salon 353-4053 102828th Avenue Shortly after the 1900s Max Deubach obtained employment in Denver. There he became acquainted with a man attending the North Denver Church of God. Through this contact, John Roberts came to Greeley to organize a group, meeting at Deubach's home on 8th Avenue and 4th Street. Several families participated in these cottage meetings. At this time the church became known as the First Church of : God. An upstairs hall was rented at 7th Street and 9th Avenue until 1922 when a church building called the Community Church at 3rd Avenue and 12th Street was purchased. Worship services were held at this location for many years. In 1969 the property at 3rd Avenue and 12th Street was sold to the Southern Baptists. After meeting in the Franklin School, the first unit of church construction at 809 13th Ave., was erected in 1970. The name of the church was changed to Broadview Park Church at this lime. At the present time the church is preparing to build the second unit of the church. The church served the community in that location for over 50 years. On August 14,19G2, under the leadership of the Rev. George Cargill, the church purchased the present property which is located at 2515 W. 16th St. On Palm Sunday, April 3, 1966, ground breaking services were held at (be new site. L. R. Rice turned the first spade of ground and the Rev. E. L. Cornelison, district superintendent, blessed the new church. In April of 1966 construction started. On Nov. 27, 1966, the first service was held in the new church. With a present membership of 150 an average of 160 people attend morning worship services. A leeii choir sings at every worship service and an average of 35 teens are present at almost every service. On Jan. 27, 1977, the church will celebrate its 70th anniversary. YEARS OLD STILL SERVICING GREELEY WOMEN WITH THE LATEST FASHIONS. for your irt'iirini; 824 9th St. 352-5718 ft Dresses ft Coats ft Sweaters ft Robes ft Slips ft Sleepwear ft Jewelry ft Lingerie Foundations ft Scarfs ft Hosiery ft Specialist in Surgical and Mastectomy Fittings ft Happy Birthday, America! Miss B's FASHIONS AND FOUNDATIONS 806 Ninth Street SIX EDUCATION It's time you learned a little something about Buick's great little V-6 engine. Because this particular six is special. Its cylinders are arranged in a' vee" Which makes it compact. And efficient. In fact, it shares many of the attributes of Buick's famous V-8. But it has 25% fewer cylinders to feed. Which helps explain the rather impressive figures in the mileage table. Of course, they're only estimates. The mileage you get may vary according to your driving habits, the condition of your car, and the way you equip it. Still. Buick's V-6 is a great little performer. Why not test drive one of the great V-6 powered Buicks today. You'll learn. EPA TEST RESULTS ~ Buick Model (with 231 CIDV-6 and Automatic MPG MPG Transmission) CITY HIGHWAY SKYHAWK _ " ' " 1 8 J" 26 SKYLARK" i? ' ~" 25 " CENTURY_ REGAL" LeSABHE ' 17 16 JL 25 20" Dedicated to thefreeSpirit injustaboutevejyone. Duality-Service- r Integrity, 810 10th St. 352-1314

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 10,400+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free