. . April 16.1973 " 'Gfeelej'TCold.miiiie 'Page 23 Daily came in 1908; merger with Republican was in 1913 Continued from page 22 the competing newspapers. At first he leased, with an option to buy, the Weld County News from Glen and Loren Andrew Thompson. Gradually he obtained control of the Sun and Pioneer and in 1909 ceased 1 publication of the Daily Sun and the Daily Pioneer and started the Daily Greeley Republican which operated in competition with the Daily Tribune until the two newspapers merged on Feb. 1, 1913, into the present Tribune. Hansen Manager ---At the time of the merger, Hansen became editor and manager and Wolfe was listed as circulation manager. C. L. Dowell, who had been city editor of Hansen's Republican, became city editor of the Tribune-Republican and F. P. Mathews was advertising manager. Wolfe later wrote articles as industrial editor, gathering his material from traveling over the county and in trips to other parts of the United States. Later he served as director of information at State Teachers College, headed several civic activities and went into the, honey and maple sugar business. He died in California Sept. 24, 1935. Stockholders in the 1913 Tribune-Republican Publishing Company included Hansen, J. W. and D. C. McCreery, D. A. Camfield and D. R. McArthur. Hansen obtained Camfield's share of stock shortly after . Camfield's death in 1914, giving him controlling interest in the newspaper. In 1916 Floyd E. Merrill joined the staff of the Tribune and served as editor, with the exception of a few years during World War I until he retired in 1960. Merrill died in Greeley in 1970. To Present Location In 1929 the Tribune moved from its location in the old Camfield Hotel, where it had been moved by Hansen at the consolidation, to its present quarters on 8th Street. Included in the move was the Tribune's 16-page Goss Perfecting press which it had purchased in 1919. The Goss press was replaced by a 32-page Hoe Simplex rotary press in 1951 and additional units plus a four-color deck were added to the press in the 1960's. "Those are typographical errors." Hansen died May 24, 1953, remaining active in the publication of the newspaper until only a few days before. On Aug. 25, 1953, Miss Mildred Shields Hansen, niece and adopted daughter of the Charles Hansens, became publisher, a position which she holds today. Mrs. Hansen at that time became president of the publishing firm and remained at its head until her death on April, 18, 1966. Miss Hansen succeeded her mother as president o f - t h e Tribune- Republican Publishing Company. The Tribune continued to print a weekly edition in addition to the daily from the time of the consolidation until May 1969 when. publication was ceased. Present editor of the'Tribune is Robert W. (Bus) Widlund, a. native of Greeley and graduate of the University of Colorado School of Journalism. He succeeded Merrill at the time of Merrill's retirement. Other editors who served for short periods of time were Morris Rathbun, editor of the Tribune at the time of the consolidation, and John W. Henderson, who later became a prominent lawyer in Greeley. and John W. Swanwick, an early associate of Charles Hansen in the newspaper industry in Michigan. The changeover to offset printing was begun in 1971 and a combination of processes was used until the new press was started on Oct. 16, 1972. For several months prior to that most of the advertising was being composed electronically and was engraved for the stereotype operation. Classified line advertising was the last to be converted to computers. On March 16 the conversion was completed after a few days of using a combination of Linotype set lines and the new process. Ground was broken for a 40xll5-ft., two-story press room addition in February, 1972. It was completed in August, 1972, and crews moved on to remodeling the rest of the Tribune building. Composing room personnel moved to their new quarters in January and the advertising and new departments moved in March. The Tribune now employs 100 full-time persons in its newspaper and job printing operations. In addition there are 103 carriers for home deliveries and 12 motor route operators. Another eight part- time employes assist in the mail room when editions carry inserts. NEW PRESS ARRIVES -- Excitement prevailed at the Tribune one day last August when the new press arrived on five flatbed trucks. Here press foreman Bill Clark climbs onto the truck to examine the press. PRESENT BUILDING - This is the present Tribune building on 8th Street. Darker part of building at left is the new press room with circulation mailing room on the top floor. Lighter colored addition at far right was completed in 1964 Main building was built in 1929 and completely remodeled in 1972 and '73.
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 9,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month