Greeley Daily Tribune from Greeley, Colorado on May 26, 1977 · Page 43
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Greeley Daily Tribune from Greeley, Colorado · Page 43

Greeley, Colorado
Issue Date:
Thursday, May 26, 1977
Page 43
Start Free Trial

44 GREELEY (Colo.) TRIBUNE Thtrs.. May «. 1977 Carter hints at veto use to curb budget spending Continued from page 1 John Singlaub for saying war would follo\ the withdrawal of the 55,000 U.S. Army ground combat troops from Korea, Cartersaid: "A decision has been made. President Park (Chung-Hee) has been informed that we are withdrawing our ground troops. We are leaving the South Koreans strong enough to defend themselves." Carter said the economy and power of the Seoul regime was growing rapidly, and "the American commitment to South Korea is undeviating and is staunch." The President commented: General Singlaub was not fired. He was told that he was not being fired, not being chastized or punished. He will be transferred to a new position of similar responsibility and stature." Later in the news conference, Carter said Singlaub had not been "punished," but he called Singlaub's statements "a very serious breach of the propriety that Carter said he still believes a Middle East peace settlement must involve Israeli withdrawal fiom occupied lands on the west bank of the Jordan River--a move opposed by the new conservative government in Israel. "I certainly assume withdrawal of west bank territories, either in part, or (olaily will be part of the settlement," Carter said. But he said the United States has no intention of imposing a settlement on the Middle East. He said U.S. policy in Middle East talks would folhw resolutions adopted by the United Nations, which call for permanent peace in the area, secure borders for Israel, and solution of the Palestinian problem. Carter said economic and environmental considerations would be taken into account In the event of a "close call" on location of military installations, but politics have not been a factor I.S. trade deficit sets record WASHINGTON (UPI)-The United States registered a historic $2.6 billion trade deficit in April, the fourth consecutive month that a record has been established, the Commerce Department said today. The April trade gap pushed the trade deficit for the first four months of 1977 to $8.5 billion, a level that has exceeded by almost $2.7 billion the trade deficit for all 12 months of last year, the department said. The record trade deficit for one -year was $6.4 billion in 1972. Assistant Treasury Secretary C. Fred Bergsten said in a speech prepared for delivery in New York today that the trade deficit for all of 1ST? may exceed $20 billion. Today's report said that goods exported to other nations during April were valued at 59.97 billion, about $101.4 million -- or 1 per cent -- less than the March export total. However, imports of merchandise during April were valued at $12.59 billion, up 1 per cent over the March level. The import total also was a record. The resulting trade deficit of $162 billion in March was the largest ever and exceeded the previous high mark of $2.39 billion by nearly $236 million, the department said. The trading gap in February was $1.86 billion and the January total was $1.67 billion. The department said imports increased last month although oil purchases, which had soared in March,declined somewhat. Imported oil last month was valued at $3.68 billion, a decline of 407.8 million from March, the department said. The import expansion, a department statement said, "stemmed mainly from larger arrivals of foods -- particularly high-priced coffee, but also sugar and fish." Imported coffee was valued at $544.8 million in April, $54.4 million above the March level, the department said. The department said imports of automobiles, clothing and footwear also rose from the March rates. Imports of some industrial materials, notably steel and chemicals, declined. The department said the decline in exports last month reflected lower shipments of manufacturered goods and othernonagricultural products. Coal, aircraft and metals exports were among the products that showed increases last month. During the first four months of 1977, exports totaled $39.4 billion, 8 per cent above the same period in 1976. Imports during the same period climbed 29 per cent over the comparable period last year. Cuban advisors in Ethiopia draw attack from Mondale WASHINGTON (UPI) -Vice President Walter Mondale said today the United States objects to the Cuban .presence in Ethiopia. He said "it would be very serious" if a reported 50 Cuban military advisers is the . vanguard of more Cubans headed for the African nation. But Mondale said "it's hard to disagree" with U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young's statement earlier today in London that the Cubans might be more rational than the Ethiopian government in stopping the bloodshed. "That isn't saying much, of course, because that's been a very militant, even violent government of Ethiopia," the Vice President said in an interview on NBC-TV's Today program. "There was recently a massive slaughter of students in a most outrageous and bloodthirsty way." The State Department said Wednesday there are Cuban military advisers and troops in at least eight African nations including Ethiopia. Most -10,000 to 18,000 - are in Angola. Hodding Carter in, a State Department spokesman, said the departmentnowhasreports that 50 Cuban military advisers are in Ethiopia for the "purpose of training." Carter noted the United States has "already made it clear that Cuban intervention in Africa is an activity that could impede an improvement in relations" with the Castro government. He warned that if reports about sending some 500 Cuban military advisers to Ethiopia are correct, "this will be a serious development." Some U.S. officials said they feel Castro will refrain from increasing the advisers in Ethiopia. "As a matter of policy," Mondale said, "we object to the Cuban presence in many of these countries of Africa. There's over 10,000 Cuban troops in Angola." AT THE TOP - George Willig reaches the top of the 110-story World Trade Center south tower, Thursday in New York with police standing by on the roof and lie window washing machine to make the arrest. It took the amateur mountain climber 314 hours to scale the sheer aide using hooks and ropes. (AP Wirepboto) Hershey laid to rest The riderless horse follows the caisson bearing the remains of Gen. Lewis B. Hershey as the procession makes its way to the gravesite in Arlington National Cemetery Wednesday. Hershey supervised the draft of some. 14 million Americans in three wars before retiring as the oldest military man on active duty. (AP Wirephoto) S. Moluccans free 'very ill 7 hostage ASSEN, The Netherlands (UPI) - South Moluccan gunmen today freed a "very ill" girl hostage from the group of 105 children being held under threat of death in an elementary school in northern Holland. But the gunmen, who also hold six teachers, plus at least 55 persons on a hijacked train 15 miles from the school, barred delivery of food to the children. "Hostages don't have to eat," a government spokesman quoted the terrorists as saying. The terrorists also staged a second macabre mock hanging outside the train. They pushed a captive passseriger onto the tracks, and forced him to stand, blindfolded, hands tied and a noose around his neck. The man was clad in white -the Moluccan symbol of death and execution. . A Red Cross ambulance took a child, a second grader named Mabeleine Witjes, on a stretcher from the Bovensmilde Elementary School where the gunmen have been holding 105 children since Monday. A witness said the parents of the girl "wept with joy" when they heard the news of her release. They were rushed to the hospital in'a police car. A government spokesman said the child is "very ill with an internal disorder, which could be serious." The terrorists have demanded a getaway plane and the release of 21 Moluccan comrades imprisoned after similar twin attacks in December 1975'. The South Moluccans want independence for their Spice Islands homeland -- once a Dutch colony now ruled by Indonesia. A government spokesman said the crisis center here would not give out any more information about the school' siege. Soviet airliner hijacked Laborites grab Dutch seats THE HAGUE, Netherlands (UPI) -- Premier Joop den Uyl's Labor party today emerged with the most seats in nationwide voting for a new parliament, which took place as scheduled despite a tense hostage drama in northern Holland. "The elections reflected the greatest fundamental shift in Dutch politics in 30years," said den Uyl, whose coalition government has been hi power since 1972. Computer predictions based on the final 'results said the Labor party will hold 53 seats hi the new ISO-seat parliament, compared with its current 43 seats. "A win of 10 seats has, I believe, never happened before in the last 50 years," den Uyl said. Despite the national preoccupation with the seizure of some 165 hostages by South Moluccan terrorists seeking Dutch support for independence for their Asian homeland, the turnout of voters Tuesday was 87 per cent. In the Bovensmilde district, where the Moluccans threatened to kill their hostages, including 105 children, the election turnout was even greater than the national average -- 89.9 per cent. The Christian Democratic Appeal, a combined election front of three Christian parties, raised its total representation by one seat, from 48 to 49. The right-of-center Liberal party won 28 seats, compared with 22 in the old parliament. The other 20 parties in the elections suffered major defeats, winning only 21 seats among them instead of the 37 they previously held. The Communist party, which recently affirmed its allegiance to Moscow, dropped from seven to two seats. Political observers said a likely outcome of the election-if the Laborites and Christians can shelve their differences on an excess profit tax and abortion -- would be , an alliance between them, along with the left-wing Democrats '66 party, which holds eight seats. STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- A Soviet airliner was hijacked over the Soviet Union today and landed at Stockholm's Arlanda International Airport under escort of Swedish je fighters, authorities reported. The unidentified hijacker was taken peacefully off the plane. .. · Eyewitnesses said they heard at least one shot from the Ae- roflot plane after it landed, but police reported no injuries.. After touching down, the twin-engine turboprop, believed to be carrying 18 passengers and four crewmen, taxied to a spot off. the runway far from the airport terminal and was quickly surrounded by about 50 policemen. . A Russian stewardess came off the plane and talked to a policeman, who then went aboard. Several other police- men next went aboard and later left the aircraft with an unidentified, unarmed man said by authorities to be the hijacker. He was taken away for interrogation. Police said the Soviet consul- general, who was-allowed to speak briefly with the hijacker, declared him a "terrorist" and said the Soviets expected Sweden to treat him as such. * An air controller at Arlanda said the pilot had been ordered by the hijacker to fly to Stockholm. The plane, believed to be an tlyushin, was commandeered over the Soviet Union and was first sighted in Swedish 'airspace near the island of Gotska Sandoen in the Baltic Sea. Airport authorities said the first report of the hijacking was radioed to them by the pilot of another Soviet plane. tames the big city mountain only to be arrested NEW YORK (UPI) - A 28- year-old man today reached the summit of New York's highest "mountain," the 110-story World Trade Center, in an act of daring that brought wild cheers from thousands of rush hour spectators and a $250,000 law suit from the city. "It was a lot of fun," was all the daredevil, George Willig of New York, was able to say before police slammed the door on a patrol car and, siren screaming, whisked him off to book him on charges of trespassing, reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct. Willig's bold act caught the imagination of rush hour commuters hi New York's financial district and they watched in awe for hours as he scaled the sheer 1,350-foot face of the world's second tallest building. Traffic was jammed for blocks. Bus drivers stopped on their routes to gawk. The daredevil used a special mountain climbing device to crawl up the window washing tracks on the side of the building. When Willig reached the top parapet at 10:05 a.m., thousands of onlookers -- their necks stiff from staring up- wards at the "human fly" on the trade center's south tower -- gave out loud war whoops, and motorists blared their horns. "He's up there. He's on top and he's safe," shouted one man in the street. But ; the city's Corporation Counsel, W. Bernard Richland, who handles law suits for the city, immediately slapped a $250,000 law suit on Willig to cover the expenses incurred because of the early morning stunt. "Every time you divert a policeman for this kind of exploit, a neighborhood is uncovered and there is overtime," Richland said. "It's about time something was done to make people pay for their amusement." But' at City Hall, officials were not taking the suit seriously. "There's not a jury in the world that would rule against this guy," one high ranking city official said. At one point on his 3-hour, 35- minute climb, Willig spumed a police offer to transfer from the perilous northeast facade of the south tower into a rescue bucket lowered from the roof. i He told authorities he felt safer making it to the top on his own, rather than risking a "tricky transfer." Willig's climb came nearly two years after another daredevil, Philippe Petit, walked a tightrope spanning the 131-foot distance between the twin towers of the trade center in another early morning escapade. Petit, who was arrested and sentenced to give a free performance of his aerialist skills in Central Park, later landed a job with the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus, and spectators at today's event hoped Willig would meet a similar fate. "Hell probably get the same as Philippe," one man said. As Willig reached the parapet of the building, police opened a small hatchway near the roof, but the daredevil, who police said "climbs mountains as a hobby," at first refused their help. Working his right leg over the edge of the hatchway, he turned and waved his right arm at the cheering crowds 1,350 feet below. Then he thrust both legs inside the building and raised both arms in victory. The world's tallest building, Sear's Tower in Chicago, is only three feet higher than the Trade Center. During his perilous climb, Wiliig stopped often to survey his lofty perch and chat with policemen who had been lowered in the rescue bucket. At one point he paused to munch on a sandwich he took from a bright orange knapsack strapped to his back. "He's using some kind of a device that hooks into the window-washing tracks," a police spokesman at the scene said. "He has a rope with him and he works this device like a mountain climber, going up a little at a time." Earlier, police inflated a large airbag at the corner of the building below the climber. "But the thing is, if he should fall he's got to hit it," an Emergency Services 'officer said. "Believe it or not, there's a target on the airbag, but I doubt he could see it -- even if he cares --from that far up." A police spokesman said it was "pretty windy up there, and I imagine he's plenty cold by now. But he seems determined to keep trying." During the climb a police helicopter hovered within 100 feet of the tower, causing nervous officers on the ground to move further away from the building. "If he (the copter pilot) hits that tower, he's going to kill us all," one policeman said.' One young man wearing sun glasses put his jacket ori the sidewalk as a pillow and stretched out on the ground to 'watch the proceedings. Traffic along busy Church Street came to a halt every few moments as drivers, including bus operators, pulled up to get a look at the climber. Hundreds of the spectators used long-lensed cameras and telescopes to observe Willig's progress, and after one prolonged stop a cheer rose from the crowd when he continued climbing. As Willig neared the 78th floor, police standing in the chest-high bucket that was lowered from the roof again offered him a ride to the top but Willig refused. Four other persons, including Willig's brother Stephen, were arrested on criminal trespass charges moments after Willig began his climb. The other confederates were Identified as Gerald Hewitt, Ronald DiGi- ovinazo and a woman, Randy Zeidbcrg.allofNewYork.

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 9,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free