The Baltimore Sun from Baltimore, Maryland on August 5, 2003 · Page B9
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

The Baltimore Sun from Baltimore, Maryland · Page B9

Baltimore, Maryland
Issue Date:
Tuesday, August 5, 2003
Page B9
Start Free Trial

MarylandObituaries The Sun in Howard : Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2003: Page 9b Tourism school might stay put By Liz Bowie SUN STAFF The Baltimore school board is expected to vote tonight to keep a small high school at the Port Discovery building downtown for one more year with the blessing of state schools Superintendent Nancy S. Grasmick. The board also is expected to announce a permanent location for the school to operate beginning later in 2004, ending a long-running civic debate about where to locate the National Academy of Finance and Tourism. Among the benefits a downtown location affords the school's students is that they can easily get to internships at local businesses after their morning classes. The school system has had difficulty finding a home for the school, with several locations drawing objections from business interests. Then, in April, the school board was blocked by Grasmick in its attempts to sign a long-term lease with the financially troubled Children's Museum for space that it controls at Port Discovery on Market Place. The museum, which has a long-term lease with the city, hoped to rent available space in the building to the district and use the cash to help keep itself afloat. Grasmick said yesterday that she told the school system she would give officials approval to keep the academy housed at Port Discovery if a permanent home was found for 2004. But she warned that there would be no further extension. "This is it," she said. "Next year if the facility is not ready, they will have to go back into a regular Baltimore school." Systems Chief Financial Officer Mark Smolarz declined to identify the proposed permanent home for the academy until Grasmick has given her final OK. Grasmick said the state has "a couple of questions outstanding which we will discuss with administrators," but she added that she believes the new site will be a good location for a school. In the spring, Grasmick told school officials she could not justify allowing the school system to spend $360,000 in rent and $8 million to renovate the Port Discovery building while the district was running an accumulated deficit approaching $41 million. The school system would pay $244,000 for its rent and utilities next year for space at Port Discovery. Although school officials declined to identify the proposed new home for the finance and tourism academy, administrators are expected to recommend to the board that it house the new Baltimore Freedom Academy at the same location. The district plans to locate the Freedom Academy, in its first year, at available space in the Baltimore City Community College at the Inner Harbor. The new school, organized by a group from the University of Maryland's schools of law and social work with the goal of developing future leaders, is starting with 100 freshmen this year and is not expected to grow to more than 400. The finance and tourism academy had 75 students last year and will add 120 freshmen this year. Min S. Biddison, 95, city teacher, child labor investigator during 1930s By Jacques Kelly SUN STAFF Robin S. Biddison, a former high school teacher who worked to protect children from labor abuse in the Depression era, died of heart failure Thursday at the Edenwald retirement community in Towson, where she resided for the past 11 years. The former Belvedere Square resident was 95. Born Robin Smith in Reading, Pa., and raised in Wyomissing, Pa., she was a 1929 graduate of Goucher College, where she earned a liberal arts degree and belonged to Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority. In 1930, she was awarded a Rockefeller Foundation traveling fellowship in vocational guidance. She became an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, specializing in enforcement of child labor laws. She traveled with Cornelia Bryce Pinchot, the wife of Pennsylvania's then-Gov. Gifford Pinchot, in a campaign against children being forced to work. "It was the Depression and she often talked of what she observed on those tours," said her daughter, Robin B. Dodd, former assistant principal of Baltimore's Diggs Johnson Middle School. "She championed the rights of women and children throughout her life." In 1934, she married Balti- Robin S. Biddison worked to protect children from labor abuse during the Depression. more lawyer Thomas N. Biddison, who served as city solicitor in the administration of Mayor Thomas J. D'Alesandro Jr. Mr. Biddison died in 1958. Family members said she took an interest in her husband's legal work for the city, including the desegregation of city schools and the return of the Orioles as a major league franchise. From 1935 to 1937, she headed a survey of young Marylanders. It was called "Youth Tell Their Story" and was based on personal interviews with more than 13,528 people ages 16 to 24. Beginning in 1937, she worked for Noma 0. Scott, 86, educator, church elder Noma O. Scott, a retired educator and former Presbyterian church elder, died of heart failure July 28 at ManorCare Health Services on Falls Road. The Ashburton resident was 86. Born Noma Oliver in Searcy, Ark., she graduated from what was then Morgan State College with a bachelor of science degree in education in 1953. She earned a master's degree and certificate of advanced study in education at the Johns Hopkins University and completed advanced study in psychology at the University of Pennsylvania. She retired from the Baltimore public school system in 1982 after teaching assignments that included Johnston Square Elementary. Mrs. Scott was a longtime member of Trinity Presbyterian Church on Walbrook Avenue, where she was clerk of session and elder. She later joined Loch-earn Presbyterian Church, where she wrote the church bylaws and where her services were held Friday. She was a charter member of the Pi Delta chapter of Tau Gamma Delta Sorority Inc. and served as chapter, eastern regional chapter and national president. She also was a member of the American Association of University Women and Phi Delta Gamma Fraternity for Graduate Women. She was a board member of the Presbyterian Home in Towson. An avid reader, Mrs. Scott shared books with grandchildren. She was married for 29 years to Cleophus Patrick Scott until his 1968 death. She is survived by two sons, Oliver Patrick Scott and Robert Lee Scott, both of Baltimore; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandsons. Jane C. Hanna, 79, Sparks bank manager Jane C. Hanna, a bank manager and active member of the Methodist Church, died of a heart attack July 29 at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. The Cockeysville resident was 79. Born Dorothy Jane Chilcoat in Baltimore and raised in Sparks, she was a 1942 graduate of the old Sparks High School. She attended Strayer Business College in downtown Baltimore. She began working as a teller at the old Sparks State Bank on York Road in the 1950s. She retired in the late 1980s as assistant vice president and manager of its Maryland Line branch. She was an active member of the Gunpowder 4-H Club and Bosley United Methodist Church, where she was treasurer of the Women's Fellowship. In 1948, she married Daniel R. Hanna. Her husband, a former Hutzler's department store manager, died in 2001. Services were held Saturday at the Maryland Masonic Home in Cockeysville, where she lived for 18 months. Mrs. Hanna is survived by a daughter, Diane Hanna Diven of Sparks; two brothers, Charles B. Chilcoat Jr. of Timonium and Harry Chilcoat of Stewartstown, Pa.; two sisters, Charlotte Chilcoat Hanna of Sparks and Helen Chilcoat Crosby of Hagerstown; and a grandson. Obituaries Because of limited space and the large number of requests for obituaries, The Sun regrets that it cannot publish all the obituaries it receives. Because The Sun regards obituaries as news, we give a preference to those submitted within 48 hours of a person's death. It is also our intention to run obituaries no later than seven days after death. Bail review is postponed in Howard shooting Competency hearing set; victim in serious condition By Jason Song and Lisa Goldberg SUN STAFF A Baltimore man accused of shooting a Howard County school custodian Saturday refused to appear at a bail review hearing yesterday because he believed his life would be in danger, jail officials said. James Milton Lane, 46, of the 2400 block of Etting St. has been charged with crimes that include first-degree assault and attempted murder in the shooting of Robert Lee Jackson Jr. at a Rite Aid store in the 8600 block of Baltimore National Park in Ellicott City. Jackson, 50, of the 5700 block of Yellowrose Court in Long Reach and the chief custodian at Mayfield Woods Middle School in Elkridge, remained in serious condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, according to a hospital spokeswoman. Lane's family could not be reached for comment yesterday. A jail employee told the court yesterday that Lane was refusing to take his medication and was "uncooperative." Howard District Judge Neil Edward Axel postponed Lane's bail review and ordered him to undergo a competency hearing. He rescheduled the bail review for this morning. Police charging documents state that a man walked into the crowded Rite Aid about 7:45 p.m. Saturday armed with a pistol. He told people that he had been involved in an accident and then fired three times, hitting Jackson in the stomach, according to police charging documents. After firing, the man dropped his gun, put his hands in the air and lay down on the floor. A cashier took the weapon away until police arrived, according to documents. The shooting was apparently random. Police said Lane and Jackson were not arguing before the shooting, and Jackson's family said they were strangers. Howard police also are investigating a shooting Friday in the 8900 block of Tamar Drive in Columbia's Long Reach village. Patrick N. O'Donnell, 22, of the 5600 block of High Tor Hill was shot once in the left hip. He was treated at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. three years as director of the junior division of the Maryland State Employment Service. In 1960, Mrs. Biddison became editor of the Goucher Alumnae Quarterly and a member of the college's development staff. From 1964 to 1971, she taught English at Eastern High School. "She was an independent person, patient, persevering and focused on spiritual values," said her son, attorney Thomas N. Biddison Jr. "She was always proud of her Goucher connections and kept up with college friendships. She was an excellent teacher and was respectful of learning and knowledge." Mrs. Biddison was a volunteer teacher of English as a second language at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and medical school from 1971 through 1985, tutoring physicians, medical staff members and their families. "She did a wonderful job, particularly with Asian and Russian doctors and their wives. She had a nice smile for everybody," Robin Dodd said. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., where she had been a vestry member, chalicist and Sunday school teacher. In addition to her son and daughter, survivors include another son, Alan N. Biddison of Richmond, Va.; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren. Giovanni Pecora, 92, founded restaurants Giovanni Pecora, who founded several restaurants bearing his name, died Thursday of complications of heart disease at his Parkville home. He was 92. Born in Co-senza, Italy, he immigrated to Baltimore in 1954 and worked as a chef at Illona's Restaurant in East Baltimore. In 1959, he opened a restaurant on St. Helena Avenue in Dundalk. He later opened businesses in the 3300 block of Greenmount Ave. in Waverly, on York Road in Towson and at Mountain and Belair roads in Fallston. He retired in 1976. Family members said his restaurants were known for their veal dishes and pizza. In recent years, he grew a vegetable garden. His wife of 48 years, the former Anna Fico, died in 1980. Services were held yesterday at St. Isaac Jogues Roman Catholic Church, where he was a member. Survivors include his four sons, Mike Pecora of Venice, Fla., Frank Pecora of Cosenza, and Pat Pecora and Albert Pecora, both of Parkville; a daughter, Rose Pecora, also of Parkville; 14 grandchildren; 17 greatgrandchildren; and a great-great-granddaughter. Michael Joseph Burns, 47, Westinghouse employee Michael Joseph Burns, a Westinghouse nuclear worker, died of a heart attack Wednesday at a hospital in Aiken, S.C. He was 47 and formerly lived in Catonsville. Born in Baltimore and raised in Catonsville, he was a 1974 graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School and played on its basketball team. He attended the former Catonsville Community College. He became a radar specialist for Westinghouse Electric Corp. at its Linthicum plant and moved to Aiken 10 years ago to work at the Westinghouse Savannah River Site, which produces components of nuclear weapons. Services were held Saturday in Aiken. Survivors include his wife of 27 years, the former Elizabeth Smith; two sons, Thomas W. Burns and Timothy M. Burns; and a daughter, Michele B. May-nard, all of Aiken; his parents, Ronald and Rose Malone Burns of Ocean City; a brother, Ronald Burns of Baltimore; and two sisters, Debra Adkins of Hanover, Pa., and Kathleen Hamilton of Baltimore. Elsewhere Dr. Peter Safar, 79, a pioneer in emergency medicine who was regarded as the father of cardiopulmonary resuscitation, died of cancer Sunday at his home in suburban Pittsburgh. Dr. Safar was credited with establishing the country's first physician-staffed, multidisci-plinary intensive care unit. He also developed the "ABCs of CPR," a lifesaving technique taught to everyone from surgeons to Boy Scouts. He established the first modern intensive care unit in 1958 at the old Baltimore City Hospitals. Also in the 1950s, he developed a method of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation that he combined with chest compression, a rescue technique that had already been researched and documented by others. The result was a first-aid method that many people learn using a lifelike mannequin known as a Resusci-Anne doll. Born in 1924 in Vienna, Austria, Dr. Safar studied at the University of Vienna and Yale University before studying anesthesiology at the University of Pennsylvania. In the 1950s, he established anesthesiology departments in Peru and Baltimore, and was briefly on the staff of Johns Hopkins Hospital. In the 1960s, he was a founding member of the U.S. National Research Council's Committee on EMS. He also established guidelines for ambulance design and emergency medical technician and paramedic training. He stepped down as chairman of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's anesthesiology department in 1979 and went on to establish the International Resuscitation Research Center, which he ran until 1994. It later became the Safar Center for Resuscitation Research. Most recently, Dr. Safar was studying whether cooling the body just a few degrees can prevent brain damage in people who survive cardiac arrest but are left unconscious. Patricia S. Goldman-Rakic, 66, a professor of neuroscience at Yale University whose pioneering research on brain and memory functions helped pave the way for understanding schizophrenia and Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, died Thursday in New Haven, Conn. She died of complications from head and other injuries suffered two days earlier when she was struck by a car as she crossed a street in Hamden, Conn., said her husband, Dr. Pasko Rakic, a fellow Yale neu-roscientist. Dr. Goldman-Rakic was the first researcher to chart the frontal lobe of the brain, which is responsible for personality, reasoning, planning, insight and other high-order cognitive functions. Located behind the forehead, the frontal lobe was once regarded as inaccessible to rigorous scientific analysis. But she used various techniques drugs, electrical impulses, behavioral responses and other methods to explore and describe its structure. Among her discoveries, colleagues said, was the demonstration that certain cells in the prefrontal cortex are dedicated to specific memory tasks. One example is the short-term memory that operates when a person dials a phone number or solves a math problem. Like the random-access memory of a computer chip, the mind's "working memory" apparently retrieves the data from other regions of the brain, retaining it for as long as necessary and then storing it away as the attention shifts to a new task. In a 1995 interview with The New York Times, Dr. Goldman-Rakic said that short-term memory appeared to hold vital clues to what goes wrong in the thinking of people with schizophrenia. "The bizarre thought disorders in schizophrenia, especially the inability to keep a train of thought from being derailed, could be due to a defect in working memory," she said. In the 1970s, she discovered that the loss of dopamine in the prefrontal cortex led to memory deficits. That study changed neuropsychiatry by providing doctors with insights into the symptoms of mental illness and the effectiveness of psychoactive medications. Her more recent research showed how amphetamine abuse in adolescence or early adulthood could diminish the mind's performance for years and perhaps permanently. True Eames Boardman, 94, whose Hollywood career ranged from acting alongside Charlie Chaplin to writing for television's Gunsmoke, died of pancreatic cancer July 29 in Pebble Beach, Calif. Mr. Boardman was chairman of the documentary committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. He also was involved with the Screen Actors Guild and Writers Guild of America, which in 1993 presented him with its Valentine Davies Award for lifetime achievement. A native of Seattle, Mr. Boardman was the only child of actress Virginia Eames and action-adventure star True Boardman. He appeared in six movies by the age of 10, including films with Chaplin and Mary Pickford. After graduating from UCLA with a degree in English literature and Spanish in 1934, he switched from acting to writing, contributing radio scripts to the Silver Theater, Screen Guild Theater and Lux Radio Theater. Later he moved to television, writing for Perry Mason, The Virginian, Bonanza and Gun-smoke. Tom Lewis, 78, who served in the military in two wars and 12 years in Congress, died Saturday at a hospital in Palm Beach, Fla., his daughter said, but would not disclose the cause. Mr. Lewis, a North Palm Beach Republican, served in the House from 1983 through 1994. He sat on the Science and Technology Committee and was instrumental in saving the Hurricane Hunter Plane Program, which sends out planes to gather hurricane data for meteorologists. The Philadelphia native served 11 years in the Air Force, with tours of duty in World War II and Korea. He later worked as a jet and rocket testing chief for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft. Before being elected congressman, he served as mayor and city councilman in North Palm Beach, and as a member of the Florida House of Representatives and Florida Senate. Charles S. Rhyne, 91, a Washington lawyer whose arguments before the Supreme Court led to a 1962 decision that gave federal courts the right to redraw state electoral districts to reflect population shifts, was found drowned July 27 in the pool at his home in McLean, Va. In the redistricting case, Baker vs. Carr, Mr. Rhyne convinced the Supreme Court that Tennessee's refusal for 60 years to adjust electoral boundaries to reflect its growing urban population meant that rural voters were overly represented in the Legislature and that city dwellers had become second-class citizens. The Supreme Court's ruling established the one-person, one-vote principle and opened the door to many similar lawsuits to compel states to redraw electoral districts to achieve equal representation. Judge W.H. "Sonny" Dilla-hunty, 75, who served as U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Arkansas from 1967 to 1979 and on the bench in two state courts, died Saturday in Little Rock. He was well known in the Arkansas legal community for his candid commentary and often blunt language as he prosecuted county judges, politicians, lawyers and businessmen. The high school dropout and World War II veteran graduated from the University of Arkansas and its law school within four years after getting out of the Army, said his daughter, Sharon Dillahunty. As a Pulaski County chancery judge in the late 1990s, he was tough on child support defendants, telling them to bring one of two things: "money or a toothbrush." John Lewis Selover, 72, publisher of The Christian Science Monitor and a leader who helped shepherd expansion of the Christian Science Church, died Friday in Boston after a brief but undisclosed illness, a spokesman for the Christian Science Board of Directors announced. Mr. Selover was elected to the board of directors in 1985, and later became the board's vice chairman. In 1998, he became manager of The Christian Science Publishing Society, which publishes the daily newspaper in Boston. During his tenure as publisher, the newspaper won a Pulitzer Prize for its political cartoons. A San Francisco native and the son of Christian Scientists, Mr. Selover graduated from Principia College in Illinois, and served in the Army before returning to San Francisco to start an advertising career. Bathe in Luxury... Jjj Every other Wednesday. To advertise, call 410.332.6372. "" DONATE YOUR CAR Vehicles for Change We repair and provide your car to low income families. TAX DEDUCTIBLE FREE PICK-UP 800-835-3821 VFC meets all State and Federal requirements to assure your donation is tax deductible

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 21,000+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the The Baltimore Sun
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free