Fort Lauderdale News from Fort Lauderdale, Florida on June 9, 1982 · Page 35
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

Fort Lauderdale News from Fort Lauderdale, Florida · Page 35

Publication:
Location:
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Issue Date:
Wednesday, June 9, 1982
Page:
Page 35
Start Free Trial
Cancel

..4 TANew World Ballet: Ex-Dolphin: Cocaine mvma promising debut ww& c oud covers NFL N Knsty Montee, 6D; late reviews, 14, 15A L 1C am Latest Markets 25 CENTS WEDNESDAY, June 9, 1982 Copyright f 1982 News and Sun-Sentinel Company All Rights Reserved By Dan Christensen Staff Writer . A Plantation man who police say led a squad of hit men linked to 14 South Florida murders over the past five years was arrested at his home late Tuesday night. Bernard Barton "Barry" Hunwick, 37, of 600 SW 101st Ave., was charged with attempted murder, kidnapping and armed robbery in the May 19 abduction-shooting of Allen Chafin, 34, from the Banana Boat Lounge, 2650 State Road 84. Police said Hunwick is a convicted felon who was on parole at the time of the arrest. Police also have an arrest warrant on the same charges for Reid Robert Hawley, 29. Hawley and three other men who police did not identify are believed to work as hit men for Hunwick, police said. l 'ill Hunwick Statements from Chafin, shot five times and left to die near U.S. 27 and State Road 84, as well as from other informants and from letters found in Hunwick's home and car when he was arrested Tuesday night implicated Hunwick's hit men in 100 to 300 homicides nationwide, police said. Chafin has since recovered from his wounds, left the hospital and refuses to tell police his whereabouts. "We have information that Hunwick is one of the biggest hit men in the nation today," said Broward Sheriff's Detective Sgt. Dale Adams. "I have a direct quote from Chafin that he knows for a fact that Hunwick's men are responsible for 300 hits nationwide," said Adams. "I think that a realistic figure from the paperwork we've got, the lifestyle Hunwick was living and what's been said by Chafin and other informants is about 100." He said some of those murders were in Boston; Lafayette, Ind.; and New Jersey. Adams said Hunwick also was named by Chafin as the man who drug dealers paid to kill Bill, Don and Dale Whittington. The Whittingtons, of Fort Lauderdale, were all drivers in the Indianapolis 500 last month. The Fort Lauderdale News and Sun-Sentinel reported last week that undercover police in Indiana had been assigned to guard the Whittingtons during the race because of the information supplied by Chafin. "After that story in the newspaper came out we started getting (police) calls from all over," Adams said. "Hunwick wasn't named, but it did mention Barry and Bob, and everyone knew that Hunwick and Hawley's knicknames were Barry and Bob, and that's when they called to say that they were suspects in their own cases." As detectives weary from a night's work of staking out Hunwick's $250,000 two-story home in a fashionable section of Plantation talked about the case this morning, detectives from other cities began to file in and check out leads. Wilton Manors Detective Ron Shearhouse said he was there because Hunwick is the prime suspect in the May 15 murder of Diego "Richard" Messina. Messina,' 45, of Levittown, N.Y., was found stuffed in the trunk of a car parked at 2020 NE Third Terrace. He had been stabbed to death. Adams said Hunwick also has been linked to the March 6 murder of Sheldon Levy, of 8432 Forest Hills Blvd., Coral Springs, who was found shot to death outside a Laudcrhill warehouse. Other South Florida murders tied to Hunwick are in Boca Raton, Dade County and Fort Lauderdale. Adams said Hunwick and his men worked as debt collectors and hit men on a free-lance basis. A letter found in Hunwick's car detailed one alleged collection scheme and noted the signer's fear. The letter, dated April 18, was addressed to the office of Attorney General Jim Smith in Tallahassee. It was signed by a Fort Lauderdale man who stated he Please see COPS, 9A srae Argentines lose 7 jets in attacks off islands The Associated Press British forces shot down seven Argentine jets in two attacks off the Falkland Islands in which a British frigate and two landing craft were damaged, the Defense Ministry in London said today. At least four other Argentine warplanes were damaged in the fighting Tuesday and were not expected to make it back to mainland bases 400 miles to the west, British officials said. ' The British earlier claimed that six Argentine jets were shot down and one possibly downed in the raids on British ships landing supplies and equipment. Argentina said its warplanes sank a British frigate, damaged three landing ships so badly that two were abandoned and the third put out of action, and inflicted heavy casualties among troops being put ashore at Port Fitzroy, 15 miles southwest of the Falklands capital. The British Defense Ministry reported the frigate Plymouth and the 412-foot-long landing ships Sir Tristram and Sir Galahad suffered "some damage," but it did not say how extensive this was. However, it said the only casualties reported were five men injured aboard the Plymouth. The British also said the supertanker Hercules, leased to an American company and damaged in a bomb attack 480 miles east of the Falklands Tuesday, was warned by an Argentine radio station it would be attacked 15 minutes before it was hit. The British claimed two attacks were made on the tanker by Argentine C-130 Hercules transports, apparently with crews rolling bombs out the loading bays. British troops moved into Fitzroy and Bluff Cove after the 5th Brigade's commander, Brig. Tony Wilson, learned in a telephone call that the Argentines had pulled out of the two settlements, defense correspondent Robert Hutchinson of Press Association, the British domestic news agency, reported from the Falklands. Hutchinson said a British army patrol at Swan Inlet, 15 miles southwest of the settlements, discovered the telephone line to Fitzroy was working. Wilson stepped into a phone booth, put in a 50-pence (90 cents) coin and got a villager, Reg Binney, on the line. "Are the Argies still at Fitzroy?" Wilson asked. "No," Binney replied, "why don't you come over and join us?" London newspapers said the all-out British assault that has been expected since last weekend was imminent. clcowes ' . ' 1 -' J . I i. 1 -' " ' i ' ' ' 1 ji . y ' , . ' f ' pi , t i , 7 - - , I ' , ' I ' I ......i.c. ,JJ.-J.-..- ..t....., ....... a juat1 . AP photo President Reagan thanks Christine Barbara Reagan at the Villa Hammerschmidt in Bonn, Bachmann who startled security agents when West Germany, today. West German Presi-she rushed forward to present flowers to Mrs. dent Karl Carstens watches. Reagan proposes deep cuts in Allied, Soviet troops News wire services BONN, West Germany President Reagan, arriving here on the eve of a summit conference of NATO allies, today opened a new chapter in his arms control campaign by calling for deep reductions in allied and Soviet-bloc forces stationed in Europe. Descending the steps of Air Force One, holding hands with his wife Nancy, Reagan smiled broadly on his arrival in Bonn, where protesters have pledged massive demonstrations against his foreign policy. In a speech to the Bundestag, West Germany's parliament, Reagan also made a sympathetic gesture to the peace movement, whose followers were gathering for mass demonstrations. "To those who march for peace, my heart is with you," Reagan declared. "I would be at the head of your parade if I believed marching alone could bring about a more secure world ... I understand your genuine concerns." Reagan, on the final leg of his European tour, unveiled a formula for cutting troop levels in Europe to 700,000 on each side. It would mean a cut of 91,000 NATO forces and 262,000 Warsaw Pact troops, according to U.S. estimates. However, the Kremlin argues that U.S. estimates of Warsaw-bloc troops are too high. The president flew here from a farewell conference in London with Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and British Foreign Secretary Francis Pym on the Falkland Islands war and Israel's drive into southern Lebanon. An estimated 17,000 police officers were mobilized to protect Reagan and the 15 other heads of state arriving for the NATO summit. There has been a rash of anti-Reagan demonstrations and a dozen bomb attacks on U.S. offices and military bases in the last week. Despite the tight security, a 7-year-old girl, Christina Barbara Bachmann, slipped past guards and ran up the steps of the villa of West German President Karl Carstens today to give a bouquet of flowers to the surprised and delighted Reagan and his wife Nancy. The girl, a daughter of Carstens driver, was halted briefly by a bodyguard who jumped in her path, but she was allowed to make her gift to the Reagans. The president shook her hand and Mrs. Please see REAGAN, 12A yriam jet Air raid destroys anti-aircraft missiles report The Associated Press . TEL AVIV, Israel Israel shot down about 20 Syrian warplanes during a raid on Syrian anti-aircraft missiles in eastern Lebanon today, Israel radio quoted Defense Minister Ariel Sharon as saying. Sharon was quoted as saying no Israeli planes were lost. But the Syrian military command reported downing 19 Israeli F-15s and F-16s in the air battle and losing 16 of its own jets. Sharon, at a news conference at Safad in northern Israel, was quoted by the state radio as saying the missile batteries were destroyed. The defense minister said the downed Syrian planes were MiG-21s and MiG-23s. Since April 1981, when Syria moved batteries of Soviet-made SAM-6 missiles into eastern Lebanon, Israel has demanded their removal and threatened to destroy them itself. Sharon was quoted as calling the battle "a turning point." He said the Syrian army had begun to retreat in Lebanon. The Israeli army was striking at "enemy armor" in eastern Lebanon, he said, but he did not specify whether he meant Syrian armor, the state radio reported. With the removal of the missiles, Sharon said, Israel could concentrate on attacking guerrilla rocket and artillery positions, and in a few hours Israel's northern Galilee panhandle would be entirely out of range of Palestinian gunners. It was the biggest air battle between Israel and Syria in almost nine years, since 13 Syrian planes were shot down in a battle with Israel a month before the 1973 Mideast war. Earlier, the Syrian command said its forces struck advancing Israeli armored units 12 miles east of Beirut near the Damascus highway, where the Israelis had made a lightning thrust Tuesday as they tried to close their vise on the Lebanese capital and other Palestinian guerrilla strongholds. A Syrian communique claimed the advance had been halted and 23 Israeli tanks were destroyed. The Israeli military command in Tel Aviv said its warplanes shot down a Syrian jet fighter near Beirut and a helicopter in a separate clash near Lake Qaraaoun, 20 miles southeast of Beirut, when the helicopter attacked Israeli ground forces. Four Israeli warships, meanwhile, shelled the beaches of southern Beirut's Ouzai neighborhood, Lebanon's state radio said. The 10-minute bombardment caused no casualties or damage, it said. Palestine Liberation Organization chief Yasser Arafat appealed from his secret command bunker in west Beirut for collective Arab intervention to keep Israel from invading the Lebanese capital. Please see MIDEAST, 12A Inside today Sub sanctuary It takes some imagination to make an elementary school cafeteria feel like a sanctuary, but the Rev. Franck Francois has it. See see story, page ID. Vol. 71. No. 171 Comics 5 Sections Bridge 120 12-130 Entertain 6-1 1D National 3-6A Weather 2A Business 12-20C Classified legal ads and 1-22E Crossword 12D Horoscope 12D Newsmakers 2A World 13.20A Dade Report 48 Lifestyle 1-50 Sports 1-1 1C COLUMNISTS Deaths 68 Local 1-7B State 7-8A Brothers 20 Editorial 18-19A Movies 10D TV 14D Donohue 20 News Phones Circulation 761-4610 Classified 761-4111 Other 761-4000 rr Watt and replaced Johnson to fill Watt's position Watt bad up, down career... 10A Johnson confident. UA Stein on firing. IB By Carl Hulse and Marilyn Weeks Staff Writers Angry over county budget plans that cut services in- stead of ex- ijecutives. Broward Tuesday fired chief executive Graham Watt him with Floyd Johnson, a top aide. After a tense hour of debate, commissioners voted 5-2 to end Watt's 3V2-year term as county administrator. Minutes later they chose Johnson to take over the difficult task of fashioning a budget that will keep both taxes and services at present levels. "I can't do it alone, but I believe I can f effectively iiivuvdLc uie rest of the staff and together we can bring the commission and the citizens of the county such a budget," said Johnson, 34, who joins an elite group of blacks nationwide as the top administrator of a major government bureaucracy. The commission's decision to end the 56-year-old Watt's up-and-down career in Broward government has been in the making since sample budget cutbacks were unveiled two weeks ago. Time and again, commissioners chastised Watt for seeking to cut "people programs" rather than "adminis-Please see WATT, 10 A Johnson S3 n o w H O o n Q fin z: ri ml Ft D H O CI to. i mi: o n. S V

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 20,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the Fort Lauderdale News
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free