-,,',' £/ _ v » *r J9f •< -,; <r r'—r> /^,«^~*w .-»,,_% ?<,<;> ,-'. l^»«SU.".';*s>c/!^.^," > ai .„• i?' l^fi*'* L 4 ••_ ,j ;- -'-I V: j Interior Of An Early Day Cherokee Clothing Store Interior Of An Ecarly Day Cherokee Paint Store 1 f CONGRATULATIONS 1 JUDY'S Beauty Shop 419 Euclid MODERN Beauty Salon , .,225% W. Main THELMA'S Beauty Shop '.-.,-'&:,;•>• 421 Spruce' H '"li *tl "D T T T 1 * C 1 .^/VJKJil.L 1 D Beauty Salon 225^ W. Mai WALTMAR Beauty Salon 201 J / 2 W. Main Construction Firm Started By Osterling The present Grundman-Osterling Construction Company at 600 East Maple was originally established on West Main with Mr. and Mrs. Gunnar Osterling as president and .vice-president and ' Elmer Johnson as secretary. The latter, was succeeded by George : Steig. ^ ' •• Starting in construction ; work in 1927 with .Herman.Patrick at Cleghorn,-'Osterling came -to-.Cherokee in 1929. to work for. Nordine . and Olson. : '."'V- • •': Tom Gruridman "became co-owner with Osterling on,May 1, 1955, and; the: former Osterling firm .was dissolved in 1956. Grundman, who was, graduated in 1950 in Agricul 1 tural Engineering from Iowa State College, worked for Holtze Construction Company in Sioux City prior to joining the Cherokee fir.m. He" is .unmarried. ..... ; The Osterling's are parents of three daughters and live at 601% East Main. . ' Slogan of the'.''firm," which .does general; .contracting .of,-both large and small.jobs, is "When Better Work" is .Done, Let • Grundman- Osterling Do It." McMonus Trucking.. Here Since 1948 R. L. McManus began a trucking service in 1948 from his home at 337 South Eighth. McManus, who has two sons, has been driving a truck since'1932. MoManus Trucking Service handles livestock and grain cartage. Brown Shoe Fit Opened Store; Herelnl9i "A' : Fit for Every Foot" is the slogan' of ' Brown, Shoe Fit Company at 113 East Main. Founded by Lloyd Knipe in 1886, it was originally located at the present site of t'he American Theater. • It was first known -as Knipe & Kenyon, then Knipe.and Faus, later Henry Knipe and finally Knipe and Son.-Forrest Knipe owned and managed the store from 1919 to 1944. • Sherm Peirson, present manager and co-owner, • will have been in Cherokee seven years on June 1, 1956. He arid his wife .and two daughters "live at 311 South Ninth. Starting as a clerk 25.years ago in a shoe business at Clarinda, Peirson then joined Brown's store at Council Bluffs. W. A. Brown of .Shenaridoah, in the shoe business 45 years, owns 34 stores in Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri. Brown took boys of his Sunday School class and loaned them money to start their own stores. Carey - Larson Buick First Formed In 1948 Carey-Larson Buick, Inc., was organized in 1948 by Gerald Car- 'ey, president, and Leonard Brown, vice-president. The firm is at 313 North Second. Brown sold his share in the firm to Louis Larson in October, 1954. Larson, after'retiring-from the farm in 1554, was employed as a^ salesman for .the company prior to becoming an owner. Carey formerly operated the Sinclair Service station in this city. Carey is the father of one son and a- daughter. He resides at 401 North Eleventh Street. Larson is the father of a son and two daughters. Carey : Larson Buick, Inc., motto is: "When' better cars are built, Buick will build them." Their goal is to give good service to their customers and. to the public. . r » ?' 1,1 f -' Your Cherokee Cities Service Station is under new ownership. We pledge ourselves to giye\ypu the same fine service and quality products. Klatt Hardware Was Former Nicholson Firm Klatt Hardware at 215 East Main /was "originally started in 1920 by Lloyd Knipe. His son-in-law J. R. •Nicholson, took over the business in •1924, adding bottle gas in 1930. The present site of the Klatt Hardware was built in 1926 by. Knipe and managed as a partner ship by Howard Klatt and Leo Wil- ;spn beginning ;October 15, 1949. Klatt became sole owner in June 1951. The present owner - manager formerly 'managed the Gamble .Store in Cherokee for 20 years before entering. business for himself. Klatt's added an extensive basement gift department in 1951. Klatt, his wife and two sons Jive at 618 Euclid. '• QKEE on its first 100 years 0i progress Firm Firs! fo Receive Don Beckman and Vernon Ohlson organized Beckman's Home Appliance at 123 East Main in 1946. Beckman became sole owner of the business in 1955. He and his wife and daughter live on Route • 3, Cherokee. Beckman gained experience in the Army Signal Corps and also worked for Rutherford Appliance before entering business for .himself. Beckman's was the first store to receive and sell TV in this part •>f the state, getting reception from X1STP Minneapolis with a ]0-mch table model. The establishment was also the first 1 , to receive colored TV, using a 15-inch set. Handling the same lines Beckman will be located at 638 North Second after June 1, 1956. farmers Co-Op Branch Of Leghorn Firm The Farmers C-Op, located at 116 West Main, has as its motto: "At Your Service," 'Farmers Co-Op handles grain seeds for farmers' needs. It has been managed here by Duane Springer since 1949. The organization was formerly known as Farmers Grain Company, and was owned by Lloyd Darling. The 'Co-Op is new a -branch of the Cleghorn concern jvhich has Alva Froehlich as its controlling manager. Froehlich worked outside the firm before be- ooming owner. Robert Fox Rath'Packing Here Since 1938 Rath Packing Company site here Afas purchased from Swift & 'Company on-April 30, 1938 by Rath Packing Company of Waterloo. Howard Rath of Waterloo is president of Rath Packing Company headquarters. He followed.in the footsteps of his father and cou sins who were prior owners. Cherokee Manager Harold Rasmus, who heads the buying station here, has been with the company some 15 years. He's been in the managership for the past severa years, succeeding Carl Wahlstrom The buying station on Vine Stree purchases livestock and pack meats for Rath. Rasmus resides-a 306 Saratoga., Panidrlum Here : Since 1933 •Pantorium,- Cleaners and hatters, 119 East Main, was organized by A. T. Nicholarson. It was purchased in 1933 by its present owner, Marion G -'Alloway. Prior to coming ;o Cherokee, Alloway worked in -a Cleaning establishment at Creslon. - The .firm's slogan is "Keep New Things New with Dri-Sheen." Aloway, his wife"and 'two daughters live-i. 3£7 r -North ; Fifth: and predict even greater advances for the next century CHEROKEE COUNTY DENTAL ASSOCIATION DR. G. E. AVERY-, retired DR. G. J. FLEIG DR. R. V. HANLON DR.'E.-.C. HOGAN ,DR. C. A.-JARRATT DR. J. H. JOHNSON DR. P. S. McCOLLISTER DR. A., J. TANNER DR. R. E. DUBOIS, Marcus DR. NORRIS, Marcus Since 1929, Dee's Dairy has been a •/ Good Citizen of this community -' serving Cherokee the best milk. A Good Citizen . . . because we have offered local producers a stable market for their products. A Good Citizen . . . because we have offered local people gainful and steady employment. A Good Citizen . .. because we have offered you a superior product that merits your confidence in us. t We salute Cherokee on its 100th Birthday! And we pledge ourselves to a continuing program of progress that will best serve our community and our customers.
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month